Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Dry Cleaners fire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

seimispook wrote: »
    I don't really have time to mull over there thread, but have they ruled out any maliciousness?

Wasn't aware it was actually on the table... I'm sure we'd have heard something at this stage though...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They pretty much said after the early initial investigation that they were happy enough that it was accidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Where does this leave me and my suits and coat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Where does this leave me and my suits and coat?

Why not ask them and you may find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

They would have insurance. But that might be his lucky suit.

One of my in-laws lost a suit when a a dry cleaners when up in flames. They told him to claim for it on his own insurance and when he refused he ended up getting pittance.

Hardly worth the effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

I had a blue suit in the cleaners now it's charcoal gray.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

One of my in-laws lost a suit when a a dry cleaners when up in flames. They told him to claim for it on his own insurance and when he refused he ended up getting pittance.

Hardly worth the effort.

Customers were asked to do likewise in this case too. Not sure of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

xtradel wrote: »
    It's not even 5 pages :confused:

It's not even 2 you mean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

seimispook wrote: »
    I don't really have time to mull over there thread, but have they ruled out any maliciousness?

I've read through the thread for you and i cant see any malicious posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

does anyone know if they are going to rebuild the place as it was or a bigger building?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

evoke wrote: »
    does anyone know if they are going to rebuild the place as it was or a bigger building?

As far as I know, they have not applied for any planning permission for a rebuild yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

evoke wrote: »

Insurance policies generally dictate a like-for-like replacement or they don't cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cancun5

Hi I'm just wondering if you have had any progress with your claim? I too left my wedding dress in there unfortunately and it seems to be a very slow process with very little contact. Is the matter still under investigation??

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Received my claim today for an item I had in there absolutely raging a suit that was a few months old and 25% of the value received.. will be getting on to someone about that

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cancun5

Received my claim today for an item I had in there absolutely raging a suit that was a few months old and 25% of the value received.. will be getting on to someone about that

That doesn't seem right at all. I assume you had receipts etc. to prove value. I didn't check my post today so hoping I have heard something. Although will be extremely unimpressed if I receive similar. Not good enough service or response for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Had receipts and all!! Was bought as an Xmas present and worn once to a wedding week before it happened..

Not impressed at all, I assume the will lowball offers to minimise payouts but I'd be extremely reluctant to accept that payment

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sanbaby1

I had my wedding dress in here as well got offered 400 yest for dress that cost 1600. Know a woman who had a 400 suit in there and got 250. How is this fair! I only got married one week previous I'm devasted. I sent the cheque straight back and will go to small claims court if needs be!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Just remember, these offers aren't coming from Shannons, they're coming directly from the insurance company. I'm pretty sure they'd want to compensate everyone fully if they were able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Just remember, these offers aren't coming from Shannons, they're coming directly from the insurance company. I'm pretty sure they'd want to compensate everyone fully if they were able to.

Do you need to declare some interest here or are you just dropping by with this information... after what I was offered I'm disappointed... maybe Shannons shouldn't be hiding behind the insurance company... I know who won't be getting any more business from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The question here is not the payout for the loss but the size of the payout.

It's like any insured item, take your car for example, it doesn't really matter how much you value your car for, if you need to claim, the insurance company will only pay what they deem to be the market value at the time of the claim.

I'm sure the same is true for most insured items and I'd imagine there are standard guidelines they use for determining the amount.

While those that have received offers for their losses in the cleaners fire and they do seem very low, it is probably as good as it's going to get unfortunately.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Zzippy wrote: »
    Either they insured customers property or they didn't.
    It's not quite that straightforward. There are a number of variables that could be at play. One is the total amount insured and whether it is sufficient to cover the actual losses. Another, probably more relevant in this situation, is whether the terms of the insurance cover compensation at replacement cost or depreciated cost. The former is more expensive because it means that someone who lost a suit gets paid the cost of a new suit. The latter means the insurance company decides how much the used suit it worth and pays out accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every time I've taken out insurance for anything, I checked the terms and conditions.

Sometimes, I chose to take out full replacement value cover (eg for my house, the terms of the leasehold and mortgage require that). Sometime I only take out cover for the current market value.

Businesses do this to. They choose what level of cover to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some stuff removed that may be dodgy legally

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sanbaby1

Anyone receive another offer? I hear there's more out as a lot declined first offer. Haven't heard anything yet myself since!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kar_M

Sanbaby1 wrote: »
    Anyone receive another offer? I hear there's more out as a lot declined first offer. Haven't heard anything yet myself since!

I declined the first offer and they offered me a further €136 extra via a not so nice solicitors letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gtown girl

I lost my wedding dress in the fire too , and declined the first insulting offer, then they offered me a further 140 in an infuriating solicitors letter that has me seeing red!!
    Quote:
    "your wedding dress, although special to you, was a second hand dry cleaned dress and obviously would have a much reduced value"

In stark contrast to their website descriptions of wedding dresses : 
    [font=arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]"your fondest keepsake"  "a beautiful reminder of the occasion"[/font]  "preserve your fondest wedding memory"
    Has anyone received any sort of apology from Shannon Dry Cleaners? I have contacted them twice and been ignored. 
    I am aware that they also suffered a loss, however they should at least issue an apology for the distress the incident has caused for their customers. Non existent customer service or regard for their customers. 
    I will never use them again, and definitely wont recommend them to anyone , not because of the fire but because the callus treatment I've received since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

gtown girl wrote: »
    I lost my wedding dress in the fire too , and declined the first insulting offer, then they offered me a further 140 in an infuriating solicitors letter that has me seeing red!!
    Quote:
    "your wedding dress, although special to you, was a second hand dry cleaned dress and obviously would have a much reduced value"

In stark contrast to their website descriptions of wedding dresses : 
    [font=arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]"your fondest keepsake"  "a beautiful reminder of the occasion"[/font]  "preserve your fondest wedding memory"
    Has anyone received any sort of apology from Shannon Dry Cleaners? I have contacted them twice and been ignored. 
    I am aware that they also suffered a loss, however they should at least issue an apology for the distress the incident has caused for their customers. Non existent customer service or regard for their customers. 
    I will never use them again, and definitely wont recommend them to anyone , not because of the fire but because the callus treatment I've received since.

Seeing as there's planning permission in to build a hotel on that site, I'd say they've well moved on.
    I would recommend to anyone who feels hard done by, to play hardball and squeeze as much out as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A hotel on that site with only 11 parking spaces! Ahh ... that was clearly the 1st version of the plan written to get people thinking, the next one will be more what they expect to build. There's no way they would operate like that without having significant coach loading and unloading facilities.

And ...you say "overbearing". I say "iconic" ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

A hotel on that site with only 11 parking spaces! Ahh ... that was clearly the 1st version of the plan written to get people thinking, the next one will be more what they expect to build. There's no way they would operate like that without having significant coach loading and unloading facilities.

And ...you say "overbearing". I say "iconic" ...

It's worse looking than any of the currently derelict buildings. They must be thin trees to fit on the path outside too.

Advertisement