Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

no problems here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Irishgenealogy.ie seems to be down - anyone else getting that?

I'm getting this message:

'Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Could not connect to MySQL.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Irishgenealogy.ie seems to be down - anyone else getting that?
    Working fine for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Obviously something is up. I cleared my browser history and rebooted and it worked from a saved bookmark, but not from the main url.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Obviously something is up. I cleared my browser history and rebooted and it worked from a saved bookmark, but not from the main url.

Use this link pinky. It and civil records are accessible. Home, News, Feedback, Useful Links and Research however are not.

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Has anyone recently ordered photocopies from Roscommon? How long can I expect it to take?
    I presume they do not confirm receipt of an order?

Thanks,
    /WD

I got some in about 4 working days this week.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

thanks. I guess then they may not have gotten my order.. need to call them

Is it generally believed that the church records are more accurate than the state ones, in the sense that there was a fine for late registration with the state, meaning that dates were invented to avoid the fine? I've seen a couple of instances where the official dates of relatives diverge from 'traditional' dates, and those being nearly always later.

Well, only in the case of baptism vs birth registration. Almost all marriages would have taken place in a church.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Indeed so. Difficult to know what % may be inaccurate from this distance anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Civil registration of a marriage was the responsibility of the priest or celebrant. If the priest made errors in the parish register, they were usually repeated in the civil register.

One of my great grandparents marriages had errors in the state register, chiefly the christian name of the groom's father, which was wrongly recorded as the same as that of the bride's father. When I tracked down the parish register, I saw they were identical.

In this case the priest was the bride's uncle, perhaps he had something stronger than altar wine, at the reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm almost worn out with my own trees, I've had so much joy filling empty branches. Now I'm filling up my in-law's trees but am hampered by quite a good number of the records not linking to the correct page. Anyone know if feedback is making any difference or will corrections be made at all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I don't know about the feed back Jelly but I share your joy in being able to fill in so many gaps in my tree.
    Mistakes of my own and in the transcribed indexes have been rectified and lots of minor issues have been resolved - issues that would have been almost impossible to resolve prior to the certs being made freely available.
    Now I just hope we won't be left waiting too long for the remaining certs to be made available on line.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

When will the 100 year old births, 75 year old marriages and 50 year old deaths update in 2017?

It was totally random this year so I don't think we can rely on a particular date.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It was totally random this year so I don't think we can rely on a particular date.

Thank you. I'm assuming the records are already digitalised? and if so there's no reason why they couldn't be "switched on" say Jan 01 or 02?

Oh they are all digitised for sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Boscod

Any update on when the older marriage and death records will be made available?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm wondering when the upload of the currently available certs will be finished. Very frustrating to find a record and then no image, especially if you are trawling forty or so to check the name of the informant on a death, or woitnesses on a marriage.

That said, it's remarkable how easy most of them are to access, considering the trouble you have to go to to find a death cert. in the US for example. A nice job by the NLI.

• Advertisement

There's no magic hotline to the GRO to find these things out. The last time I asked someone I was basically told it would happen when it happened. I would hope that there is a reduction of orders to the GRO, which should free up more people to work on the transcriptions, etc.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

spurious wrote: »
    I'm wondering when the upload of the currently available certs will be finished. Very frustrating to find a record and then no image, especially if you are trawling forty or so to check the name of the informant on a death, or woitnesses on a marriage.

That said, it's remarkable how easy most of them are to access, considering the trouble you have to go to to find a death cert. in the US for example. A nice job by the NLI.

Nothing to do with NLI, it is the GRO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tabbey wrote:
    Nothing to do with NLI, it is the GRO.

My mistake. Great job anyway.

There's no magic hotline to the GRO to find these things out. The last time I asked someone I was basically told it would happen when it happened. I would hope that there is a reduction of orders to the GRO, which should free up more people to work on the transcriptions, etc.

Any news on this?

None I've heard of. A few months ago I was told it would be a couple of months...but you never know!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

I inquired about some images been missing from 1940 marriages and the reply I got was:
    The next year of data will be added soon and that should cover that issue.

So, soon!

Not holding my breath!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

They probably won't add all of the remaining deaths and marriages when they do the next update.

I say this half in earnest and half in jest but any chance Admin could lock this until we get an official announcement. Every time anyone posts in this thread my heart starts to race only to have my spirit crushed when it's another query. :rolleyes:

Edit: I intend no disrespect to anyone, especially josip, who just happened to be the latest poster! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

mod9maple wrote: »
    I say this half in earnest and half in jest but any chance Admin could lock this until we get an official announcement. Every time anyone posts in this thread my heart starts to race only to have my spirit crushed when it's another query. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement