Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Children's hospital?

I think it's chronic nephritis not hepatitis.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Yes it does look like Childrens Hospital. Odd that.

No. 189 definitely says Childrens Hospital but No. 190 looks slightly different.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Other deaths on that page look like children's as well, but other hospitals are listed: Coombe, Meath, and the streets are all that area too. Ask Shane what hospitals are in Thoms for that era?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

looks like Adelaide Hospital for 191, Children's for 190

National Children's Hospital for 189 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

St Michaels hospital (Dun Laoghaire). I'd guess that Upper Albert Rd is the stretch from the raikway bridge to the roundabout

Looked at google - it is called upper there never knew there were upper and lower even thpugh I know that area well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I agree it's most likely Michael's Hospital, given his address. Interesting that the informant is his brother and not someone from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

St. Michael's would be close to where they both lived in Sandycove, but I'm not sure the district is correct for a death there. Any of the certs I have for St. Michael's up to the 1960s are registered Rathdown

pinkypinky wrote: »
    .....what hospitals are in Thoms for that era?

The only ones I can think of are the Lourdes (now the National Rehab) and Monkstown Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy wrote: »
    I wonder can anyone help with No. 190 - the death of Alan Henry Corr.

The place of death is ??? hospital.
    I think his address is 3 Upper Albert Road Sandycove.
    And cause of death looks like Anaemia, Heart Failure, Chronic Hepatitis, certified.

Mercer's Hospital.

The flourishing capital M is confusing you.

Mercer's Hospital a 124 bed general hospital named after Mary Mercer was on the corner of Mercer's Street and facing South King Street.

Like Sir Patrick Dun's, Royal City of Dublin and Steeven's, it closed late 1980s and services moved into St James.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The only ones I can think of are the Lourdes (now the National Rehab) and Monkstown Hospital.

These hospitals and St Michael's are not in the South City No 3 reg district, they are in Dun Laoghaire , Rathdown SRD.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »
    Mercer's Hospital.

The flourishing capital M is confusing you.

Well spotted tabbey - I'd go with that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I was alluding to the Sandycove area.... but I agree that it's Mercers, the downstroke of the Y should not have been ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Is there any way just to view an individual record (not the full page of entries). I want to print off the actual record I'm interested in - like the research record you would get from the GRO.

I can print off the full page,scan it, crop it and then print the record but is there a faster way?

No, there's no way other than what you're doing - unless you want to pay them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You could do a screen grab and crop that.
    Then you'd only be printing the part you need.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Actually, what Hermy does is what I do - I don't print things at all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've often wondered should I print my records in case some technological disaster should erase my digital records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Make regular back-ups. I have a certain amount printed but it's never the most up to date version.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    You could do a screen grab and crop that.
    Then you'd only be printing the part you need.

Yes, I've tried that but it's a little complicated to include the District Office details from the top of the page and the actual record itself which may be half way down the page. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think there's a straightforward way to cut or delete selective portions from a Paint screen.

I like to have hard copy of each record so I print off the full page and fold it in such a way that the District details are just above the actual record. I then scan, save and print it to fit the full page. It works very well but it's time consuming. I was hoping there would be an easier way.

I back up all my records every few months but will the computers in 50 to 100 years time be able to read them? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I also find paper records easier to browse though.

The easiest way to save the record you want is to use the "snipping tool" - in Microsoft windows. You may have this already on your computer if not go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots which tells you how to download & use.

I use this for snipping newspaper extracts, bits from the BMD records and various other bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Leeside wrote: »
    Yes, I've tried that but it's a little complicated to include the District Office details from the top of the page and the actual record itself which may be half way down the page. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think there's a straightforward way to cut or delete selective portions from a Paint screen.

I like to have hard copy of each record so I print off the full page and fold it in such a way that the District details are just above the actual record. I then scan, save and print it to fit the full page. It works very well but it's time consuming. I was hoping there would be an easier way.

I back up all my records every few months but will the computers in 50 to 100 years time be able to read them? Maybe I'm old fashioned but I also find paper records easier to browse though.
    I do what KildareFan does and just snip the individual record, but you have a good point about including the district office details from the top of the page. I suppose you could do both, using the print function for the whole page and the MS Snipping Tool to snip the individual record.

I like to store all the snips using a similar name format. For example bir_ for births, dea_ for deaths and marr_ for marriages. I don't include the full date as it's a bit tedious, instead I might have bir_Keane Joe_1878. I'm a bit inconsistent with first names as I will sometimes already have a name like Joe Keane from the census, then find he was registered as Joseph Keane.

I save the complete record page as a PDF with a file name like John Smith birth 1885.pdf - that way you have the details on top of the page.

I also maintain a word file for each family group. I copy & paste the record snips into the file under the person's name, with the index details. I add information as I find it under each person's name, so I have a chronological account, starting with birth/baptism, marriage/death/ & anything that happens in between. I use headings & sub headings and the navigation tool in Word to find people in the document.

KildareFan wrote: »
    The easiest way to save the record you want is to use the "snipping tool" - in Microsoft windows. You may have this already on your computer if not go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots which tells you how to download & use.

I use this for snipping newspaper extracts, bits from the BMD records and various other bits and pieces.

That's a very handy tool and just what I was looking for. Two separate snips copied and pasted into a Word document works a treat. Way faster than my old method. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Word is a very, very unreliable way to storage image data. It will - without doubt - be mangled going between Word versions.

I agree: pdf or jpeg is my preferred format.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I agree: pdf or jpeg is my preferred format.
    I still haven't found the perfect solution to storing/archiving/retrieving all the information I have.

I save the original image from Irishgenealogy/Ancestry/Findmypast as a PDF or jpeg or whatever the original format is & try to give it a useful name so I can find it again.

I also keep a separate record in word with the narrative details and snippets from the record. It's useful to check on transcriptions which can be wrong. I wish some of those clerks had been more careful with their writing.

I've had the problem of big word documents getting mangled, so I keep saving new versions with the date saved - if the document gets totally mangled, I can always go back to the earlier version. The word document helps to keep track of different pieces of information in one space - I use headings to navigate the document which makes it easier.

I also have excel files for each family.... as well as storing some information on family trees on Ancestry....

L1011 wrote: »
    Word is a very, very unreliable way to storage image data. It will - without doubt - be mangled going between Word versions.

I totally agree. I should have added to my earlier email that I always convert the finished Word document to a PDF file.

Some of the GRO research copies I received in the past have not been great to say the least so I scanned those as jpg (high resolution), and edited them in Picasa. I find this to be a good programme for cropping and especially for straightening the page. Also handy for adding text. I then convert the edited jpg to PDF.

I have over two hundred copy GRO certs and I made a mistake in naming the files say Birth_Forename_Surname instead of Surname_Forename_Birth. I need to change the order on all my records to make searching easier. It's just another job on the "to do" list.

Irishgenealogy.ie seems to be down - anyone else getting that?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Working fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Down for me too :(

Advertisement