Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Help or Not To Help

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

but i did not shoot the deputy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You did do the right thing, don't question yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

My brother suffered from epilepsy.

He'd pass out on the street and people would step over him thinking he was a junkie or a drunk. Even had his wallet stolen once.

Good on you OP. Sometimes we do the right thing for the wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

dresden8 wrote: »
    Sometimes we do the right thing for the wrong people.

I like this. It's going to get used. And often. It's so bloody true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Junkie or not, nobody deserves to die on the street like an animal. You did the right thing and I'm glad everyone was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

The thing that would worry me about stopping in a situation like this is that scumbags have been known tricks like this to rob people who stop to help. Definitely would call an ambulance though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The thing that would worry me about stopping in a situation like this is that scumbags have been known tricks like this to rob people who stop to help. Definitely would call an ambulance though.

Not too long ago I saw a man panned out face down on an alley leading off a very busy street. I looked at him for ages and he wasn't moving but I was too frightened to go near him. I called an ambulance and the conversation went something similar to

Operator: is the man breathing?
    Me: I don't know, I'm not going near him, he's a junkie.
    O: I need you to check if he's breathing
    Me: I'm on my own. I'm not going near him.
    O: madam, I need you to check if he's breathing

While we're having this arguement two other junkies come and kind of stand him up. That clears up the breathing mystery but he was in bad shape. I say he's breathing but he can't stand and doesn't seem to be fully conscious.

O: can you approach and ask if they need assistance?
    M: are you for real. Either send the ambulance or don't.
    O: I am trying to help, I need you to co operate.
    M: fine, but if anything happens to me, you better send help straight away and none of this rigmarole
    O: madam do not approach if you are putting yourself at risk

I told him next time I won't be calling any ambulance. I'm not getting involved. Someone's passed out, send help. Don't be sending people over on deserted alleys to see if they're breathing or waiting to mug you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Years ago coming home dead late, guy flat out on the pavement. I go over help him up, he's dead pished, face busted from where he hit the ground after tripping over a support for some construction fencing, his leg is also fooked.

I get him up he cant stand so is leaning against me and the fencing for support. He ain't gonna make it anywhere. Garda station is just across the road so i prop the guy up and I head over to them, they have no interest other than take my details, they say they'll ring an ambulance. 30-40 minutes later of propping this prick up in the rain there's no sign of an ambulance. The drunken prick wants to know why the ambulance isn't here, starts and starts getting stroppy so I let him go and he goes sliding down the fence :D. As it happens my old man is looking out the window wondering why im not home yet and sees the two figures beside the fence and reckons im one, he comes out and I get him to go home and ring an ambulance. Ambulance shows up, drunken prick gets stroppy with the crew and they tell him to get in or fook off. He gets in.

I head over to the garda station, turns out they didnt bother their hole ringing the ambulance because they're useless bastards who couldn't be arsed

Few weeks later drunken prick shows up at my door on crutches, all pally. Wants to take me out for a pint, I decline. Wants to give me a few bob for doing him a good turn. I decline. I know what he's at. I ask him if he's putting a claim in over the fencing. He is. I tell him he can forget about me going witness. Goes off in huff. Turns out the gardai gave him my details. Had his solictor ringing me a few times after that too.

Moral of story, stay the f**k away from the gardai unless you want grief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

yeah ive been the genuine case i passed outside river island once and apparently a few people walked past before an ol' fella stopped, it was two other young lads walking past who though the ol'fella rubbing my stomach and head while i was unconcious was a bit off so called an ambulance.

he legged it then and the two young lads stayed with me.
    creepy stuff. but again i was out of it so didnt care.

always help, even that junkie is someones kid.

Incidentally the OP's story reminded me of a time also outside River Island where I saw a man slumping over onto the ground. I walked over to help him up and see if he was ok.
    His eyeballs rolled open and "tanks luv have ya gor any spare change..." Came out of his mouth.

I kinda felt like a dope then and let him slump back onto the ground as I sheepishly walked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Not too long ago I saw a man panned out face down on an alley leading off a very busy street. I looked at him for ages and he wasn't moving but I was too frightened to go near him. I called an ambulance and the conversation went something similar to

Operator: is the man breathing?
    Me: I don't know, I'm not going near him, he's a junkie.
    O: I need you to check if he's breathing
    Me: I'm on my own. I'm not going near him.
    O: madam, I need you to check if he's breathing

While we're having this arguement two other junkies come and kind of stand him up. That clears up the breathing mystery but he was in bad shape. I say he's breathing but he can't stand and doesn't seem to be fully conscious.

O: can you approach and ask if they need assistance?
    M: are you for real. Either send the ambulance or don't.
    O: I am trying to help, I need you to co operate.
    M: fine, but if anything happens to me, you better send help straight away and none of this rigmarole
    O: madam do not approach if you are putting yourself at risk

I told him next time I won't be calling any ambulance. I'm not getting involved. Someone's passed out, send help. Don't be sending people over on deserted alleys to see if they're breathing or waiting to mug you

End Call Button.

999 operators will always ask these questions to better understand the situation and provide callers with as much help as possible to resolve an emergency. They cannot compel you to do anything, if you do not want to approach the person there is nothing to say you have to. At least not in Ireland that is, some countries have good samaritan laws that make it a crime not to act.

Advertisement