Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Help or Not To Help

Options
  • 25-08-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Last night on my way home with my girlfriend we were stopped at some traffic lights. She said to me "I think that guy over there is dead" looking to my left I saw a guy slumped sitting against the wall. I rolled down the window and shouted out to him, no response, I shouted louder and nothing.

After that I pulled the car up onto the grass verge and went over to see if he was okay, I gave his leg a shake and he was not moving, at this stage i was looking to see if he was breathing and to be honest he looked dead. So I have his leg a harder shove and shouted a little louder. To note, he was in shorts and his legs were freezing, this added to me thinking there was no blood pumping in this guy.

Once he didn't respond I decided it was time to call an ambulance, the phone operator said that someone was on their way and that I should try and lay the guy out flat. I handed the phone to my girlfriend and proceeded to try and get the guy flat onto his back, as I was doing this the fire brigade arrived and as I tried to move him away from the wall to lay him down he woke up.

This is when things took an interesting turn, in a very, "junkie" / "high" voice he says ""what the F**k are ya touching me for"". Then proceeded to stand up and walk towards me, the fire brigade guys then took over.

This was on a busy main road, it is a road known for people taking / selling drugs.

So after hearing the story the question is, should we bother to help these people if they are so bad that they appear dead on the side of a road, or should we just leave them there to enjoy their high?

At the end of it two fire brigade units had shown up and an ambulance, all because this guy decided to get high and pass out on the side of the road. I feel like I did the right thing by helping this guy, but I feel angry that so many resources were devoted to helping this guy when it wasn't an accident.

Comments

Last night on my way home with my girlfriend we were stopped at some traffic lights. She said to me "I think that guy over there is dead" looking to my left I saw a guy slumped sitting against the wall. I rolled down the window and shouted out to him, no response, I shouted louder and nothing.

After that I pulled the car up onto the grass verge and went over to see if he was okay, I gave his leg a shake and he was not moving, at this stage i was looking to see if he was breathing and to be honest he looked dead. So I have his leg a harder shove and shouted a little louder. To note, he was in shorts and his legs were freezing, this added to me thinking there was no blood pumping in this guy.

Once he didn't respond I decided it was time to call an ambulance, the phone operator said that someone was on their way and that I should try and lay the guy out flat. I handed the phone to my girlfriend and proceeded to try and get the guy flat onto his back, as I was doing this the fire brigade arrived and as I tried to move him away from the wall to lay him down he woke up.

This is when things took an interesting turn, in a very, "junkie" / "high" voice he says ""what the F**k are ya touching me for"". Then proceeded to stand up and walk towards me, the fire brigade guys then took over.

This was on a busy main road, it is a road known for people taking / selling drugs.

So after hearing the story the question is, should we bother to help these people if they are so bad that they appear dead on the side of a road, or should we just leave them there to enjoy their high?

At the end of it two fire brigade units had shown up and an ambulance, all because this guy decided to get high and pass out on the side of the road. I feel like I did the right thing by helping this guy, but I feel angry that so many resources were devoted to helping this guy when it wasn't an accident.

You followed your conscience and did the right thing, the fact that the right thing wasn't wanted has nothing to do with you.

I'm sure the services are used to this, but for every so many people that are ignored, I'm sure there is a genuine case saved by the actions of people like you, and that's what it's all about in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'd take a false alarm 100 times over a genuine case being missed because passers by assumed they were a junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Knew he was a junkie before the end of the story tbh

Good on you for doing what you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

While you said on this occasion they appear to be a junkie it's important to be aware the diabetics with hypoglycaemia can appear "drunken too"

http://www.ems1.com/medical-clinical/articles/1081443-Drunk-versus-diabetes-How-can-you-tell/

In other words call the professionals.

You should also always make sure of your own safety, no point in becoming another casualty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

yeah ive been the genuine case i passed outside river island once and apparently a few people walked past before an ol' fella stopped, it was two other young lads walking past who though the ol'fella rubbing my stomach and head while i was unconcious was a bit off so called an ambulance.

he legged it then and the two young lads stayed with me.
    creepy stuff. but again i was out of it so didnt care.

always help, even that junkie is someones kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭valoren

Bias would play a big part.

I recall a social experiment where a man would appear to faint/collapse on a busy street.

Where this was done when he was well dressed, groomed and wore clean clothes then bystanders would invariably help without question.
    Where he was unshaven and wore dirty clothes typical of the stereotypical homeless man then people were far more reluctant to assist.

Considering it was a street infamous for drug taking, how was he dressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He probably wasn't loved enough as a child.
    Hugs not drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

valoren wrote: »
    Bias would play a big part.

I recall a social experiment where a man would appear to faint/collapse on a busy street.

Where this was done when he was well dressed, groomed and wore clean clothes then bystanders would invariably help without question.
    Where he was unshaven and wore dirty clothes typical of the stereotypical homeless man then people were far more reluctant to assist.

Considering it was a street infamous for drug taking, how was he dressed?

His clothes were quite dirty. An extremely stained jumper and battered shorts.

Also one thing I would like to point out is that I placed "junkie" in quotes as I do not know this guys story, I'm not accusing him of being a drug taker it could of been any other cause and the way he spoke was due to grogginess after passing out. It was simply used as a way to describe how the person spoke. So if anyone feels i've said it to insult / label this man it was not used in that context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

That is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yes I would. Have been in this situation before, a drunk guy (in the homeless, alcoholic sense) was passed out having fallen off the bench and hitting his face).
    I stopped the car and called the ambulance, I couldn't touch him though as there was blood everywhere.
    Had to shake him with my foot and he didn't appear to be breathing either but eventually someone spotted bubble in the blood around his nose indicating he was breathing.

It was across the way from a hospital too, the ambulance lads said it was their second call out to him at that bench that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Watched a documentary series on Irish paramedics recently and quite a few of them told of stories of heroin addicts.

The most common one being they are called out to a heroin overdose and the person is losing their ability to breath and about to die. They have a drug which reverses the effects and can instantly wake them up and get them going.

Majority of junkies lose the plot with them for "wrecking their buzz". Sad really

I'm usually amazed by the people who don't help. Once in London a while back, a very intoxicated man took a bad fall down the stairs to the underground. Nobody moved to him at all and I actually had to push my way through the crowd to help the guy to get to his feet, who, once stood up, looked at me, told me to "f*ck off" and waddled, albeit with a rather painful looking limp, away.

His clothes were quite dirty. An extremely stained jumper and battered shorts.

Also one thing I would like to point out is that I placed "junkie" in quotes as I do not know this guys story, I'm not accusing him of being a drug taker it could of been any other cause and the way he spoke was due to grogginess after passing out. It was simply used as a way to describe how the person spoke. So if anyone feels i've said it to insult / label this man it was not used in that context.

And of course someones life isn't worthless if they are an addict either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'd say it's common for people to get 'burned' for helping people in one way or another. I think you did your bit and maybe his attitude would have been different if it hadn't been affected by whatever chemicals in his system. I used to bend over backwards to help people and I am the opposite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

3 times I think now that I have called the ambulance or Gardai for an OD, some lad getting knocked out and a girl being held by the throat by her partner against a fence. For the OD I got the bollox tore off me by her sister for calling an ambulance, said it was none of my business, lad who got knocked out came to and told me to **** off, he was fine and for the girl, her partner did a runner and by the time the Gardai had showed up she denied everything.

A friend got assaulted only recently, was in a coma for a while and wasn't looking good, if it wasn't for some randomer stepping in and calling an ambulance, he wouldn't have made it, i still don't think the family have been able to track the guy down but if it wasn't for him he would be dead.

I'm usually amazed by the people who don't help. Once in London a while back, a very intoxicated man took a bad fall down the stairs to the underground. Nobody moved to him at all and I actually had to push my way through the crowd to help the guy to get to his feet, who, once stood up, looked at me, told me to "f*ck off" and waddled, albeit with a rather painful looking limp, away.

I was advised to ignore anything like this in London. Up to and including old people lying on the street. Apparently it can be part of a ploy to mug people, or else, people can just turn. I know it's sad and I'd probably automatically help if it looked genuine but I think they had a point.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think it depends on the circumstance on whether I'd stop and help out. I would normally get a feeling that something is off and intervene rather than helping in every situation. So I try to act on that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You did what we all like to think that we would do, but couldn't guarantee that we would do.

Fair play, OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

you did the right thing unfortunately in the world we live in it was a waste of time yours , fire and ambulance and properly gardai too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I'll probably catch hell for this but, in my personal life at least, if I didn't happen to know the person then I wouldn't help them.

I'll help them in work because I have to. In the course of my job I encounter people in various "vulnerable" states fairly regularly and in 100% of cases it goes the same way. You try to help them yourself and you get told to **** off, you get threats, you get abuse or they go for you. You ring the police/ambulance and they inevitably know the person in question because they have already dealt with them regularly. They get the same abuse and I've seen a few instances where they were actually attacked.

In the vast majority of cases, normal people don't publicly end up in such a state that they need someone else to ring the police or ambulance for them. It being genuine is the extreme exception to the general rule of it being some scummer full of drink and/or gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I was advised to ignore anything like this in London. Up to and including old people lying on the street. Apparently it can be part of a ploy to mug people, or else, people can just turn. I know it's sad and I'd probably automatically help if it looked genuine but I think they had a point.

Yeah London is a special case alright. You get into a zone when you're using public transport or navigating the busy streets where you won't acknowledge or interact with strangers in the same way you would elsewhere because it's such a clusterfcuk of chaos and busyness. Passing strangers would scowl more at you than smile. And there's an added layer of fear and paranoia about strangers because of stories like this.

Saying that, I've often been at a bus stop or waiting for a friend outside a cafe and seen a random passerby stop and interact with a homeless person, maybe buy them a cup of coffee and a sandwich. I've seen that a few times actually. Somehow that sort of sporadic kindness can hit you harder in somewhere as manic and impersonal as London than elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Doryhank

My Dad fell onto train tracks and no one bothered to help him, his foot was shattered, thankfully he wasn't run over.

Doryhank wrote: »
    My Dad fell onto train tracks and no one bothered to help him, his foot was shattered, thankfully he wasn't run over.

God :(

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

tldr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'd take a false alarm 100 times over a genuine case being missed because passers by assumed they were a junkie.

A false alarm that ends up with a dirty syringe in your face?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You did the right thing by calling for an ambulance, but WTF was it with two fire brigades and an ambulance. Talk about a waste of money. Its one guy potentially dead, the ambulance was on its way so why did the two fire brigades show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

You did the right thing.

I stopped to help someone three years ago. I half knew him so I think that is probably why I stopped. I had my five year old child with me at the time so really chances are I wouldn't have stopped if I didn't know him. But I would have called the guards to check on him.

While I was sitting there with him I tried to flag down cars to stop and ring an ambulance as I didn't have my phone on me and I was shocked at how many cars drove on but I guess that's a sign of the times we are living in. Anyway turns out I did the right thing, the man was very ill. It took the ambulance a while to stabilise him before they could bring him to the hospital.

A poor homeless guy threw himself on the hood of my car a year or so ago while I was stopped at lights in a fairly bad neighbourhood. I didn't think about it, just out of the car and checked he was okay. He got up and started shouting at me so I jumped back in the car and called the cops, for two reasons. Firstly I didn't want him claiming I'd run him over, and secondly I was afraid he'd cause an accident with his flailing around and needed medical attention anyway. So I parked up until they came and they took him to hospital and I went to the station until they checked out the CCTV at the lights and confirmed I'd been stopped when he jumped on the car.

I shouldn't have gotten out of the car, but I was out before I thought about it. I should have parked up nearby and called the cops, while keeping an eye on him, but sometimes you react first and think later. I'll be more careful next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You did the right thing by calling for an ambulance, but WTF was it with two fire brigades and an ambulance. Talk about a waste of money. Its one guy potentially dead, the ambulance was on its way so why did the two fire brigades show up?

Fire Brigades here are all trained paramedics as far as I'm aware (no where else in the world is this the case I remember reading!), so you will still sometimes get Fire Bridges if they are the nearest.

And if there's any hint of spinal injury, they'll also be called due to spinal board / transfer of the patient. This could of been the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

why was a fire brigade need? two? let alone one!

Advertisement