Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will people stop worshipping God / a God / a higher mortal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Humans caused most, if not all, of the problems humanity ever faced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

who's not respecting you ... or to be precise respecting your view(s) / lifestyle? - not me certainly

I never mentioned myself. But then I'm not "brainwashed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

with all the pain and suffering goes on in this world and a lot of it focused on innocent people dying will there ever come a time where people say "i've had it with you, i'm not worshipping a God in a world where so many bad things happen to good people" and then just stop believing/worshipping?

sorry if i was supposed to post this in the religious section of boards

ironically enough when they are dead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Never, because death is the main driver of religion.

Most people can't handle the concept of nothingness after you put in your 80 years give or take on this planet, it's easier to think the sky fairy will take you to a magical land where you will have everything you have ever wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Agreed wholeheartedly. It gets too personal though.

it only gets personal when you start naming names or singling out people - other than that the views are ... just views

I was very care to title this thread as God / a God /a Higher Mortal so as not to single out anybody or particular religion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Tigger wrote: »
    ironically enough when they are dead

good thinking ... and good answer - god I wish i was as clever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I feel when McGregor loses again we will stop worshipping him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There is nothing wrong with believing in God.
    The problem in life is people. Take someone who believes in God yet is of sound mind and he or she will try to be a good person and do the right thing. Yet someone who is unhinged and believes in God will twist things and spread hate and actually can be evil.

Point in case is the Harry Krishnas compared to the Westboro Baptist Church. Yet both believe in a higher power.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I think the question should be why aren't people doing more to make the world a better place.

We are always looking for something to blame for our disasters....

Would it not be better, that instead of blaming God or whatever it is we like to blame for bad things happening, we all worked to help out people who desperately need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Charizard wrote: »
    I feel when McGregor loses again we will stop worshipping him :D

Gods don't run away in fights :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

There's always going to be people who'd prefer to fantasize about the unknown or make believe woo.

Some people accept it,some wonder why the religious people believe in god's etc....

I suppose the best person to answer the op's post is someone who did believe in it and is now an unbeliever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The folks over at Proxima b. should also be consulted, they may well have a leader who's handy with the miracles an so on.
    It's only 4.5ly away, so if someone sends a fax over to them now, all should be clear by 2021ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

These threads are so condescending. Makes me sad to see others laughed at for their beliefs. How say people stfu and afford religious folk a bit of respect regardless of their own outlook?

Atheists are the most distrusted group in America. Rapists are trusted more. I don't get it. I might not believe in god but I'm not a rapist. I'm a good guy who tries to do my best.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nonprophetstatus/2011/12/04/when-atheists-get-it-wrong-atheists-arent-less-trusted-than-rapists/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/in-atheists-we-distrust/
    if you wanted to be a 'true' atheist does that mean that you would not be able to go to Christenings, weddings and what happens when you die? - how can you have a proper funeral service if you dont believe - I have often thought about that. what if through your life you have been a non believer but you get your children christened in a church, get married in a church and have a funeral in a church because its 'the done thing' when your an atheist?

I'm a god parent and an atheist. The reason I was asked is because I know more about ethics and religion than most people and I can be relied upon for moral guidance. The only thing I had to do in the ceremony is reject Satan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Going back thousands of years the Greeks where mad about Zues, Apollo, Hera, Ares etc, today, in one classroom children are taught about Greek mythology and in another they are taught about another god, which one is to be believed.
    I feel once religion is being taught in the way that it is, we will see a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It's sad when people cannot even respect their own views on religion.

Take these two for example, they preach one thing and then go against their own preaching.....

THE HEIGHT OF HYPOCRISY

She's soooo ugly the guy must have been blind!

Morocco reels: Prominent Islamists caught in alleged sex act

Morocco is reeling from the arrests of two prominent Islamists who reportedly were caught having illicit sex with one another in public.

Police found Fatima Nejjar and Moulay Omar Benhammad, both in their 60s, in "a sexual position" last week in a car on the beach, Moroccan media reported. The reports did not elaborate on the alleged position.

Until Monday, Nejjar and Benhammad were vice presidents of Morocco's Unity and Reform Movement (MUR). The MUR is the religious and ideological wing of the kingdom's governing Justice and Development Party. In light of the arrests, the party suspended the two on Monday.

"It's huge in Morocco," said Hakim Arif, editor-in-chief of L'Observateur magazine who spoke to AMI Newswire from his office in Morocco. "Many were trusting this woman and this man."

Now, the arrests have served to rip the veil off their apparent duplicity.

https://aminewswire.com/stories/511000181-morocco-reels-prominent-islamists-caught-in-alleged-sex-act

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

the bleeding Earthquake thing today prompted me to post on it now particularly, them poor people. There is a picture on sky news of a nun sitting bloodied faced by the road on a mobile phone - now if i was her I'd say feck that now I aint gonna carry on worshipping God he's bloody cruel and she should even be questioning if there is a God ... I bet she wont though, I bet after being caught up in all this devastation she will still continue to worship him and think he is lovely!

Not at all. The harder things get the more reason to turn to the magic man to fix it. If your life us sh1t, all the more reason to invest in the idea of an afterlife. It's one of the principles that religions thrive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

These threads are so condescending. Makes me sad to see others laughed at for their beliefs. How say people stfu and afford religious folk a bit of respect regardless of their own outlook?
    People deserve respect, regardless of whether they are religious folk or not.
    Beliefs deserve to be ridiculed, regardless of whether you or I or anybody else think they deserve to be.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. It gets too personal though.
    You know that criticising religion is fine but posted the above as if it was the same as criticising people.

You posted in defence of people who were never offended. This is similar to saying 'sure wouldn't you just have the child baptised for Nana's sake'?

We need to stop treating religions as if they were some special category. I support Leinster but I don't get offended by someone who doesn't follow rugby at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

I think the Hindu gods were a fairly decent bunch of lads (gender neutral).
    Though you wouldn't want to bump into any of them if you had drink, or anything else, taken, all those arms and heads and stuff...defo wreck your buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Grayson wrote: »
    Atheists are the most distrusted group in America. Rapists are trusted more. I don't get it. I might not believe in god but I'm not a rapist. I'm a good guy who tries to do my best.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nonprophetstatus/2011/12/04/when-atheists-get-it-wrong-atheists-arent-less-trusted-than-rapists/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/in-atheists-we-distrust/

I'm a god parent and an atheist. The reason I was asked is because I know more about ethics and religion than most people and I can be relied upon for moral guidance. The only thing I had to do in the ceremony is reject Satan.

Because (there have been studies/reports on this) there's a bit of a correlation between atheism and people thinking you're a giant asshole.

Atheists score higher on depression, drug use (the most religious states in America have the lowest levels of crime for example, and yep, correlation not causation I know), autism, personality disorders, poorer physical health etc and are more subject to overrating their own abilities and intelligence (the Dunning Krueger effect) than Christians are. Google scholar/some of the med science directory, will help yous out there.

Those combined make you far more unlikeable to most people, in addition to probably not being as tribal as religious people, less trust promoting, more likely to be a proselyting buzzkill of a bastard, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

with all the pain and suffering goes on in this world and a lot of it focused on innocent people dying will there ever come a time where people say "i've had it with you, i'm not worshipping a God in a world where so many bad things happen to good people" and then just stop believing/worshipping?

You kind-of answered your own question there. The pain and suffering of this life makes people think "surely there must be something better after this", and it's a short mental jump from there to put forward the idea of a heaven. Here's how the poet Robert Burns put it:
    How long I have liv'd-but how much liv'd in vain,
    How little of life's scanty span may remain,
    What aspects old Time in his progress has worn,
    What ties cruel Fate, in my bosom has torn.

How foolish, or worse, till our summit is gain'd!
    And downward, how weaken'd, how darken'd, how pain'd!
    Life is not worth having with all it can give-
    For something beyond it poor man sure must live.
    So ... if there's a heaven, is it for everyone? No! Bad people must not get in, they must go ... somewhere else, somewhere ... what's the opposite of heaven? That. But who decides? Not humans, we're too easily fooled and subjective. It must be someone bigger, someone who sees everything from the outside and has the wisdom to judge who's good or bad ... someone god-like?

From suffering to wishful thinking to religion ... it's a slippery slope. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Well money is the God that people worship most, and worship to far more insane levels than the religious kind, so to answer your quest, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

On average, 17 innocent children (under the age of 5) die each MINUTE from an incurable disease. As we speak their poor parents are praying to god for their child to suffer no longer and to save them.

These parents are good people, they go to a mass, they pray to god. Yet this god will ignore them. He won't answer their prayers. Their child will die an awful death as will millions more. God either can't or won't do anything about it.

Its 2016, its time to move on and leave ancient, superstitious, mythology behind.

I told the above to a man I know who said to me that god takes care of him. He said he prays to god and because of that he has a a nice house, a car, two kids in college and a nice new shirt on his back. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

When someone dies and comes back and tells me there is no God, no heaven, no hell.
    I've just come home from my aunt's funeral, wake, 99 cups of tea and obligatory sandwiches. I'm not a church goer, I do however take huge comfort in the ritual of the Irish wake and it's tradition.
    This is also believed to psychologically help with trauma in the first few days after death.
    It's probably the most genuine of all the religious celebrations. Unfortunately we have to go through baptism, communion and confirmation to get there.
    As for God? I hope there is something to that..

py2006 wrote: »
    On average, 17 innocent children (under the age of 5) die each MINUTE from an incurable disease. As we speak their poor parents are praying to god for their child to suffer no longer and to save them.

These parents are good people, they go to a mass, they pray to god. Yet this god will ignore them. He won't answer their prayers. Their child will die an awful death as will millions more. God either can't or won't do anything about it.

You do realise that nowhere does it say that God has said that he/she will interfere in peoples real lives?

Religion was created by Man, and man has tried to put responsibilities on to God. Any of the Bibles, Koran or Holy books were written by prophets, and generally prophets are dirty, stinky, crazy dudes on a hilltop who fast (starve themselves) excessively long periods. :rolleyes:

But in any case, it's you thats deciding that a God should be helping people. Personally, I don't expect God to do it. My God is a senile old dude with a crude sense of humor who doesn't really care what happens to us. After all, we've never really cared too much what happens to him.
    Its 2016, its time to move on and leave ancient, superstitious, mythology behind.

And yet, you're believing that God should respond to prayers and help people. I don't. I think people should help themselves and stop passing the buck.

Why does believing in God pass responsibility for their own lives?
    I told the above to a man I know who said to me that god takes care of him. He said he prays to god and because of that he has a a nice house, a car, two kids in college and a nice new shirt on his back. Says it all really.

Not really. It's called thanking the universe, or God, or Karma for the benefits in life. It doesn't suggest that God gave these things to him. Simply that God created existance, and by that existance, he benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

You do realise that nowhere does it say that God has said that he/she will interfere in peoples real lives?

But in any case, it's you thats deciding that a God should be helping people. Personally, I don't expect God to do it. My God is a senile old dude with a crude sense of humor who doesn't really care what happens to us. After all, we've never really cared too much what happens to him.

And yet, you're believing that God should respond to prayers and help people. I don't. I think people should help themselves and stop passing the buck.

Why does believing in God pass responsibility for their own lives?

Eh, I don't believe in any of these gods. You missed the the point I was making. Its the people that believe in god that are the ones that think by prayer they will be saved or helped in some way. The anecdote highlights the ridiculousness of that especially when you compare it to the guy I mentioned who thinks his happy middle class existence is down to god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Cant take the whole "you're attacking me/my beliefs, you have no right to do that" bullsh1t tbh.

Especially when "your beliefs" dictate that im going to hell. lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

old_aussie wrote: »

Now, the arrests have served to rip the veil off their apparent duplicity.

https://aminewswire.com/stories/511000181-morocco-reels-prominent-islamists-caught-in-alleged-sex-act

I see what you did there .......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

sorry if i was supposed to post this in the religious section of boards

They won't .Most people of faith accept that God does can not and will not intervene in life. That is why I never liked when people "thank god" for their success and hard work. God had nothing to do with it, bar maybe give the person comfort in praying to the successful outcome

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Armchair Andy, forgive them,for they do not know what they are doing

Advertisement