Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when will people stop worshipping God / a God / a higher mortal?

Options
  • 24-08-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

with all the pain and suffering goes on in this world and a lot of it focused on innocent people dying will there ever come a time where people say "i've had it with you, i'm not worshipping a God in a world where so many bad things happen to good people" and then just stop believing/worshipping?

sorry if i was supposed to post this in the religious section of boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Ah but sure you can't beat a good mass or a trip to Ali's Snackbar to raise your spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I can't see it happening. People will always need to have something to hold onto. We have been doing it for thousands of years and will most likely continue for a few thousand more.

with all the pain and suffering goes on in this world and a lot of it focused on innocent people dying will there ever come a time where people say "i've had it with you, i'm not worshipping a God in a world where so many bad things happen to good people" and then just stop believing/worshipping?

Nothing wrong with believing in God. The real problem is religion. Now, that, I'd happily see gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oh. Dear. God.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

When the tap runs dry.

Yes, that is a meta for when it stops making people at the tap money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Teatime. On the 4th.

Deffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I'd say when people grow a pair and stop doing christenings, communions, confirmations and weddings just to save face with family

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

but I mean like if a really good friend or even a family member who you looked up to went around stabbing innocent people/killing lots of people for no apparent reason LOL you wouldnt still look up to that person and think they were great would you LOL - you would distance yourself from them wouldnt you ... you wouldnt keep telling them how great thou are :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

People will simply believe some other bollocks. Be it unicorns, lizard people, aliens or whatever other nonsense comes their way. Human beings it seems have to believe some kind of utter irrational bollocks and get very offended when challenged on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Come on, athiests threads were so 2 years ago

the bleeding Earthquake thing today prompted me to post on it now particularly, them poor people. There is a picture on sky news of a nun sitting bloodied faced by the road on a mobile phone - now if i was her I'd say feck that now I aint gonna carry on worshipping God he's bloody cruel and she should even be questioning if there is a God ... I bet she wont though, I bet after being caught up in all this devastation she will still continue to worship him and think he is lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't mind people worshiping gods. I believe in gods. When you are a god yourself you tend to believe in other gods

I don't mind people worshiping gods. I believe in gods. When you are a god yourself you tend to believe in other gods

who made you a God then or is it self inflicted ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I follow him on facebook. Great lad altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

You live in a society where most people send their kids to a religious based school. Do the maths....

You get them young, you have them for life. Sure there are those who rebel against the "system" but they are treated like troublemakers, freaks and weirdos.

Brainwashing is so much easier the younger the brain and even better when their parents have been brainwashed too.

if you wanted to be a 'true' atheist does that mean that you would not be able to go to Christenings, weddings and what happens when you die? - how can you have a proper funeral service if you dont believe - I have often thought about that. what if through your life you have been a non believer but you get your children christened in a church, get married in a church and have a funeral in a church because its 'the done thing' when your an atheist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

These threads are so condescending. Makes me sad to see others laughed at for their beliefs. How say people stfu and afford religious folk a bit of respect regardless of their own outlook?

All hail Andy from Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think when psychedelic drugs are legalised and part of the mainstream culture (100 years or so) there'll be a resurgence

• Advertisement

When they no longer need to find strength and comfort outside themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

If someone is willing to believe in a magic man in the sky, then there is no leap at all, hardly even a step to believe that suffering is either down to our own free will - God given - or that we simply don't understand the plan.

Religion is never going to be eliminated people are very welcome to their beliefs and much like the Loch Ness monster or Big Foot there will always be the occasional harmless eccentric. It'll be a win when religion is at the same level, a few harmless eccentrics which derive some pleasure and comfort from it and nothing else, no role in government or state, certain fecking off out of school and people see dying/killing for a religion to being equally a stupid as dying/killing for a particular brand of cheddar cheese.

if you wanted to be a 'true' atheist does that mean that you would not be able to go to Christenings, weddings and what happens when you die? - how can you have a proper funeral service if you dont believe - I have often thought about that. what if through your life you have been a non believer but you get your children christened in a church, get married in a church and have a funeral in a church because its 'the done thing' when your an atheist?
    Atheism is an idea. The whole idea of it being it is not ritualistic or fanatical in the way religion is required to be. It is simply an absence of belief.

I also wouldn't necessarily associate the belief with the behaviour. Nor the person with the belief. I know a nun who has admitted God doesn't exist but that it's better for us all if we "pretend he does." And the most intelligent and knowledgeable atheist I know recently received communion as a show of support to his gf at a wedding he invited her to.

We are all religious in some way. The lucky ones get to choose what we are religious about. There is a choice. I do not think that is the case with religion for many people. And that is the crucifix of the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Nothing wrong with believing in God. The real problem is religion. Now, that, I'd happily see gone.

Only thing is most religious things I don't really see as being about the church and God and all that other BS.. it's the clothes, getting photos taken, being with family and friends and the money you get and the dinner and the drink !!! Don't forget the DRINK (FR Jack)

You don't see many folk mentioning Jesus or god at the bar or dinner table after the mass at a wedding, it's more did ya see the tits on the bridesmaid on the left. Fook me!!

Its all a bitta crack

These threads are so condescending. Makes me sad to see others laughed at for their beliefs. How say people stfu and afford religious folk a bit of respect regardless of their own outlook?
    People deserve respect, regardless of whether they are religious folk or not.

Beliefs deserve to be ridiculed, regardless of whether you or I or anybody else think they deserve to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

People deserve respect, regardless of whether they are religious folk or not.

Beliefs deserve to be ridiculed, regardless of whether you or I or anybody else think they deserve to be.

Agreed wholeheartedly. It gets too personal though.

All hail Andy from Sligo

more like all Hell andy from sligo :D

I follow him on facebook. Great lad altogether.

:confused: bit confused ... you follow God on facebook ?

• Advertisement

who's not respecting you ... or to be precise respecting your view(s) / lifestyle? - not me certainly

Advertisement