Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: Maia v Condit

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The fact Gunnar went the distance with Maia says a lot. Maia is a genius, a really nice bloke and a pleasure to watch. Delighted for him.

He deserves a title shot but the way things have worked out means Wonderboy is getting it first. I'd be happy if Maia was allowed to sit it out and wait for the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Part of me thinks he could beat WB too, but not Woodley. It might be best for Maia to wait for Thompson to beat Woodley. I hope wonderboy Ko's everyone though, except GSP, who comes back for one night only to 50-45 Wonderboy and then ride off into the sunset on a unicorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

cletus wrote: »
    Better? Really? That was an outstanding show of skill and control from Maia.

It was. No doubt about that. He made it look easy.

I was just hoping for a battle is all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Kinda shows how good Gunni actually is that he could survive 3 rounds with that guy on his back. The skill required to go 15 mins and not get choked out by Maia must be incredible. Shoutout to Matt Brown for almost making it the full 3 rounds too and, obviously, prime Anderson Silva.

There are, obviously, many ways to beat Maia. Knocking him out being a good way lol. But if he gets Wonderboy or Woodley to the mat it's sleepy time for both of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Condit via Submission
    Maia is a straight up ninja, i don't usually like people waiting for title shots but he fully deserves next on it, wait away sir.

Pettis very impressive as well, subbing a guy who wanted to pull guard so much was the cherry on top. I'd love to see him fight Holloway next.

Beaming for Paige, lovely switch kick and always nice to see Bec get destroyed. Feck them haters Paige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Condit via Submission
    Just watching the top 2 fights on the main card showed the difference between a top BJJ practitioner (Oliveira) and a world class one (Maia). As far as I recall, once in each round Oliveira had Pettis in really dangerous positions on the ground only to end up letting him wriggle free and end up in a challenging position himself. No danger of that with Maia though. It's a pleasure to watch someone, in any discipline, who is a master at their craft and that's exactly what Maia is. I hope he gets his shot and takes it soon because his age is going to be counting against him in the future.

Condit via Submission
    Max should be quiet and push for a fight with Aldo if Conor doesn't come back to 145. Tweet below is inviting UFC to make a match between him and Pettis.

https://twitter.com/BlessedMMA/status/769712670589095936

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Gotta love a bit of Damo. Slick as fcuk!

With Pettis in the mix, 145 has a new lease of life. He may not be a world beater but it definitely will provide some interesting match-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just watched the fights now. Great main card. Paige's switch kick was superb, Showtime was very impressive at 145 and Maia, well, he did what he does. When he's around you better...

All 3 judges scored the first round of the Pettis fight 10-8 to Pettis.

This is getting more ridiculous by the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TimRiggins wrote: »
    jcd5971 wrote: »
    Never liked rawlings, where is the bully stuff about her from tho? I missed that

Apparently she was a bully on TUF. I'm not 100% sure though as I don't watch TUF really.
    If you by bully you mean ****, then yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Condit via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »

That's a joke

Did see this event, was trying to avoid main fights. But a comment from a mate instantly revealed the winner/method in the main event. I wasn't too bothered by the spoiler though, as I had money on the sub.

Looking forward to watching the fight now. WW title picture looking good.
    Woodley v WB for the belt
    The Maia vrs the winner. And the loser fights Lawlor on the same card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pity to see Condit questioning his future again. Was surprised Maia beat him so fast (I expected a Maia win tho) & more surprised to see he is 2-5 in his last 7 but still he'd be a loss especially after MacDonald leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The wording was changed recently on the meaning of a 10-8 to try make more given i would imagine thats why we will see more over the coming events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Condit via KO/TKO
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Pity to see Condit questioning his future again. Was surprised Maia beat him so fast (I expected a Maia win tho) & more surprised to see he is 2-5 in his last 7 but still he'd be a loss especially after MacDonald leaving.

In fairness, not counting last night the 4 losses he suffered have all been against reinging or future champions (I think anyway).
    GSP, Johnny, Robbie and Woodley.

Easy to see how he is losing the faith though.

ASOT wrote: »
    The wording was changed recently on the meaning of a 10-8 to try make more given i would imagine thats why we will see more over the coming events.
    That hasn't come into effect yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »

Oh i taught it went through a week or two ago, strange really then!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ERG89 wrote: »

When he was on the Joe Rogan podcast he did seem to be wary of staying in the game too long and last night's fight was his 40th pro one.

Losing last night might mean that not just his next fight, but the one after it won't be title shots so does he want to have 2 fights before he gets a title shot?

anyone in a position social media wise to give bec rawlings the finger, please do!!! cant stand the mouth piece. so vocal about her hatred of mcgregor and in below says she's gonna plant the princess dancing queen. I dont rate van zant really to be honest but im glad she sparked rawlings.. up until then van zant seemed to throwing alot of kicks and punches way way out of range into fresh air.

still nice to see the annoying ozzie put in her box!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/15/12491084/ufc-202-bec-rawlings-gives-conor-mcgregor-nate-diaz-prediction-talks-pvz-fight-smoking-weed

• Advertisement

Maia has only absorbed 13 significant strikes in his last 4 fights. Not a bad way to ensure career longevity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Maia has only absorbed 13 significant strikes in his last 4 fights. Not a bad way to ensure career longevity!

I think it's actually total strikes?

Condit via Submission
    That is so damn impressive, especially with the fact that they all know exactly what is coming. Surely Gunni hit him more than twice? I know the whole fight was a grapple match but only 2 strikes is crazy!

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/769971828504850432

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The man isn't human. I'd say he trains with Anacondas. The wrap he gets on guys is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Maia via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »

It seems the judges are giving more 10-8s in previous events though.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    It seems the judges are giving more 10-8s in previous events though.

Maybe, it's hard to say with such a small sample. There has been no increase in 10-10 rounds, which was also a part of the rule change I think.

Advertisement