Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Gming PC no OS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

you will want a set of headphones :D even ear buds will do to start with but for your own sanity. I know my parents used to go ballistic at the noise of me playing games :D

And DW you can do everything you need on a laptop. so it should take you a short time to get it going. Keep asking questions. plenty of ppl here willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Canterelle wrote: »
    Really annoyed with myself for not copping on about OS but hopefully I can get that sorted for ? maybe €50?

Much less. I've used this fella before, worked great.

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/microsoft-windows-10-professional-genuine/11078936

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

tazzzZ wrote: »
    you will want a set of headphones :D even ear buds will do to start with but for your own sanity. I know my parents used to go ballistic at the noise of me playing games :D

And DW you can do everything you need on a laptop. so it should take you a short time to get it going. Keep asking questions. plenty of ppl here willing to help.

You will be sorry you said that! So I'm a bit fuzzy on a couple things:

1 . I download windows onto another PC - it probably wont be our PC or laptop so will that be an issue? Can that person just delete afterwards?

2 I upload windows software onto USB stick and then plug it into new PC - will it automatically come up on screen and prompt me for key?

just googled how to create bootable windows 10 usb and got this.

http://mspoweruser.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-drive-for-windows-10/

I have used the software mentioned and it works just fine.
    If that doesnt help you try google it yourself and pick one of the other links.

There is no problem with deleting anything you download on another pc. and you cant argue with that adverts price either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You will be sorry you said that! So I'm a bit fuzzy on a couple things:

1 . I download windows onto another PC - it probably wont be our PC or laptop so will that be an issue? Can that person just delete afterwards?

2 I upload windows software onto USB stick and then plug it into new PC - will it automatically come up on screen and prompt me for key?

They can just delete it no bother.

You need to install a program called Rufus on the other PC. Use it to browse to the Windows 10 iso you downloaded and use that to copy Windows to the USB. It's pretty straightforward you should be able to figure it out.

Then just plug the USB into your sons PC and turn it on, and you should come to the Windows installer, again, it's pretty straightforward from here.

If you need help with Rufus or the install shout of course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't need Rufus. The Windows 10 media creation tool is an official Microsoft App, all you have to do is plug in a USB stick and then run the Media Creation Tool, it does everything for you, it downloads and creates a bootable Win10 image on the stick. It's pretty painless and very straight forward.

You don't need Rufus. The Windows 10 media creation tool is an official Microsoft App, all you have to do is plug in a USB stick and then run the Media Creation Tool, it does everything for you, it downloads and creates a bootable Win10 image on the stick. It's pretty painless and very straight forward.

in fairness both ways work just fine.

in fairness both ways work just fine.

They do but the Win10 media creation tool is way easier, faster and designed for people who aren't very technical.

Even as someone who has used Rufus, the Win10 tool is literally tenfold easier to use. I use it all the time.

Em we didnt get USB stick its an adaptor. Where do I buy and what do I need to ask for. Thanks again for all the help, i've come a long way in the last few hrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not to scare you further but you will need to install drivers after Windows is installed
    Now hopefully Windows might have installed most of them or all but be aware that you might have to install a few more
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Skerries wrote: »
    not to scare you further but you will need to install drivers after Windows is installed
    Now hopefully Windows might have installed most of them or all but be aware that you might have to install a few more
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

I think there were driver disks included - that should make life a bit easier

Skerries wrote: »

you are scaring me. I think the package came with drivers? the link was posted before, can you have a look?

dont worry just concentrate on getting your OS installed first. Worry about the drivers after. W10 should have enough to get you going. Only driver I'd make sure of is the network adapter. everything else you can download the newest from the net once you get up and running.

One other thing is I'd make sure you have the pc set up close to your router as its unlikely to have wireless. If you cant have it next to the router your likely going to need power line network adapters or maybe there is something better that i just cant think of

dont worry just concentrate on getting your OS installed first. Worry about the drivers after. W10 should have enough to get you going. Only driver I'd make sure of is the network adapter. everything else you can download the newest from the net once you get up and running.

One other thing is I'd make sure you have the pc set up close to your router as its unlikely to have wireless. If you cant have it next to the router your likely going to need power line network adapters or maybe there is something better that i just cant think of

I think it has wireless? This is what they say about it:
    Product Description

Check out our gaming PC bundles for the best way to start your PC gaming journey.

We've created our bundles using the best products we could find at great prices. This bundle includes one of our powerful gaming PCs (see below for a detailed description), a 21.5in Widescreen 1080p Monitor with a 5ms response and a Gaming Keyboard/Mouse Kit, both with LED lighting.

This bundle has everything you need to begin gaming straight away.

The Fierce DEMON Gaming PC is impressively fast! It features the powerful AMD A-Series A8-7650K Quad Core Processor, running at a lightning 3.8GHz Turbo. Match this with a huge 8GB of 1600MHz RAM/Memory and you'll get performance you'd only dreamed of before. You'll have your friends just trying to keep up with AMD Radeon R7 Series Graphics. And when you want to play online, you're ready with super-fast 300Mbps WiFi!

Please note: does not include an Operating System, check our Amazon store for PCs with Windows or install your own; we include all relevant driver discs.

This PC is fast, reliable and will easily cope with all your day to day tasks such as web browsing, email and Office. You can sit back, relax and watch all your favourite movies in high definition on your HD monitor or TV.

With a Fierce PC you are covering yourself both now and in the future. Not only will you have the refreshed power and speed of your new PC but you can feel safe with our full 2 Year Parts & Labour warranty. Our 30 day no-quibble returns policy guarantees that if you change your mind about the PC within this time, you can simply return it to us.

Whilst this is an awesome gaming PC we know that sometimes you'll want to add or change components, so feel free to e-mail/call us at:

You just need to get an 8GB USB stick, they're cheap in the likes of PC World, Argos or Maplin if you're stuck.

Plug in the USB stick.

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool onto a PC or Laptop and open it.

The rest takes care of itself, the Windows Tool is designed to be fairly fool-proof and there's very little user input required.

It will download a copy of Win10 to the stick and make it a bootable stick. Once it's finished, you remove the stick, plug it into the new PC, and when it starts up it should automatically boot into the Win10 install screen.

Driver wise, as long as the new PC is connected to the internet, Win10 should find all the drivers you need - display driver, audio driver, network driver, chipset driver, etc. If not, the ones on the disk will sort out whatever is left.

Just thinking, laptop is wrecked. Could we do all this at an internet cafe if we wanted? How long does downloading to stick take, could I give friend a stick and ask them to do it for me?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If this is what you bought: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-Demon-Gaming-PC-Bundle/dp/B016QLM2IO

Then you need to contact them as they are saying windows 10 is included :)

jonnycivic wrote: »
    If this is what you bought: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-Demon-Gaming-PC-Bundle/dp/B016QLM2IO

Then you need to contact them as they are saying windows 10 is included :)

No I wish we had, would have saved the hassle but we were on a budget. Our bundle was 379stg. With no OS. But thanks to the good folk here I think I might manage to install. When you but the key online how can you be sure its legit though? And what the diff between "windows professional" and home etc

I wouldn't bother buying a key - those Reddit/Ebay keys aren't 100% legal, and the Windows 10 install works fine without any key, you get a very small watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the screen saying 'Please Activate Windows' or similar, but otherwise it's fine and is very unintrusive. So it won't cost you anything right now to install the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Windows 7 is defunct. People may like it for techy reasons but for any normal user/gamer they should get windows 10, no question.

Downloading and making your own CD isn't that hard but if you don't know what you're doing it could be frustrating.

It may be more straightforward to just buy a disk on the likes of amazon. It won't be the cheapest option but having that disk may work out in the long run, when the next OS comes out you will get a discount, or maybe even a free copy, it will get you on the ladder so to speak. Microsoft usually give good deals to existing customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Just thinking, laptop is wrecked. Could we do all this at an internet cafe if we wanted? How long does downloading to stick take, could I give friend a stick and ask them to do it for me?

Public library would be even cheaper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Hi
    I sent you a pm ,, there is a pc shop beside supervalue. you should get sorted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

We didnt get headphones but not a major issue. My son is 10 years old and this is his first gaming pc (or any pc!) He has wrecked his sisters laptop playing games on it, so he saved up since last year to get pc. I would be gutted if I thought we'd have been as well off getting a laptop (they were around 490 / 500). Really annoyed with myself for not copping on about OS but hopefully I can get that sorted for ? maybe €50?

If it eases your mind at all, any laptop for under 500 quid would have been next to worthless for gaming. You're better off with what you have, so long as you get the OS sorted.

If it eases your mind at all, any laptop for under 500 quid would have been next to worthless for gaming. You're better off with what you have, so long as you get the OS sorted.
    I think laptops are generally worthless for gaming. They have a shelf life that can't really be extended all that much if at all. I think that makes them a bit of a dead end when it comes to most things. I think people should only buy an expensive laptop if they need it, a professional photographer for example. Waste of money getting one for gaming.

What if they need it for gaming? :confused:

What if they need it for gaming? :confused:
    Get a desktop. It's just way better for gaming. Nobody really needs a laptop for gaming, if you have some profession where you need to game then you should have a proper desktop.

If you want to spend a load of money on a gaming laptop so you can play a power hungry PC game on the train then it's your money, but I wouldn't spend the premium because I don't need to be gaming at every available opportunity.

See I'd never, ever use a desktop so from my perspective it would be an utter waste of money. I've already talked about this on another thread recently. I don't know why people get so defensive about gaming laptops; nobody's asking you to use one if it doesn't suit you. Horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

See I'd never, ever use a desktop so from my perspective it would be an utter waste of money. I've already talked about this on another thread recently. I don't know why people get so defensive about gaming laptops; nobody's asking you to use one if it doesn't suit you. Horses for courses.
    The useable life span for a gaming laptop vs a desktop before it needs replacement is a lot shorter. With a desktop one would typically be able to just upgrade the graphics are mid cycle and continue on for another few years. Not possible for 99% of laptops, the whole thing would need to be replaced

Aside from that they are a lot more expensive at the same performance point and more likely to encounter overheating issues.

That said, if you need to game on the go, they are the only option. But if this isn't strictly necessary most people would recommend a desktop. If space is an issue, an itx build in a case not much bigger than a console would still be a better alternative.

I agree that the argument is silly, there are a myriad of reasons why a gaming laptop suits some people. I've always had one, doesn't get massive use but gets enough that it's a solid buy - I'm not lugging my desktop with me when I'm away, going somewhere for LAN gaming, and I need a laptop anyway so it makes sense for me. That said I usually buy mid-range and replace every few years. Represents the best value really. I suppose if someone's just going to be setting at a desk playing games it makes far more sense to get a desktop, which does happen as well, a lot of parents in particular, but also general buyers, don't understand that you pay twice the price in terms of performance per euro.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The useable life span for a gaming laptop vs a desktop before it needs replacement is a lot shorter. With a desktop one would typically be able to just upgrade the graphics are mid cycle and continue on for another few years. Not possible for 99% of laptops, the whole thing would need to be replaced

Aside from that they are a lot more expensive at the same performance point and more likely to encounter overheating issues.

That said, if you need to game on the go, they are the only option. But if this isn't strictly necessary most people would recommend a desktop. If space is an issue, an itx build in a case not much bigger than a console would still be a better alternative.

That's all true, and the same advice I'd give someone if they were trying to choose between the two. Completely irrelevant though, if like me you don't want a desktop.

It's like telling someone who wants to buy a motorbike "Sure cars are safer, easier to drive and will keep you dry in the rain." True, but they don't care; they're after a motorbike.

Advertisement