Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Gming PC no OS

Options
  • 19-08-2016 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

My son loves gaming and saved for new PC and I helped as part of his birthday. He is 10. Nice guy in PC World advised us to get desktop pc instead of laptop as would be much better for gaming. So we got this off Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Fierce Demon Quad Core Gaming PC Bundle - 3.8GHz AMD 8GB 1600MHz High-Spec RAM 1TB Hard Drive - Desktop, Office, School, College, Uni Computer - Keybo

Only problem is it does not have any operating system installed. I’m not techie so need to know what to do now. My son says Windows7 is best for gaming, that windows 10 wont support some of the games he wants to play. Looking online at Windows 7 packages some say they are not meant to be installed on home pc or by non “system builders”. Help. He is a bit devastated that he cant use PC yet so I want to get sorted asap. We’re on tight budget so cheapest solution also greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

Canterelle wrote: »
    My son loves gaming and saved for new PC and I helped as part of his birthday. He is 10. Nice guy in PC World advised us to get desktop pc instead of laptop as would be much better for gaming. So we got this off Amazon and it arrived yesterday. Fierce Demon Quad Core Gaming PC Bundle - 3.8GHz AMD 8GB 1600MHz High-Spec RAM 1TB Hard Drive - Desktop, Office, School, College, Uni Computer - Keybo

Only problem is it does not have any operating system installed. I’m not techie so need to know what to do now. My son says Windows7 is best for gaming, that windows 10 wont support some of the games he wants to play. Looking online at Windows 7 packages some say they are not meant to be installed on home pc or by non “system builders”. Help. He is a bit devastated that he cant use PC yet so I want to get sorted asap. We’re on tight budget so cheapest solution also greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your son is 10, and if he gets windows 10, he should be greatful he has a computer at all to play games.

padair wrote: »
    Your son is 10, and if he gets windows 10, he should be greatful he has a computer at all to play games.

Have a look on Google for windows x keys which you will be able to buy for around 25 euros, you will have to then download them and install from USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Well i wanted to know if he's right that Windows 7 is best for games. He paid for most of this PC himself, through saving since last year. He's def not a spoilt git! Just a pity I didnt cop that it didnt have operating system when we ordered. I'm of limited knowledge / ability at this stuff so if you can give me link to exaclty what I'd need to order that would be great!

Well i wanted to know if he's right that Windows 7 is best for games. He paid for most of this PC himself, through saving since last year. He's def not a spoilt git! Just a pity I didnt cop that it didnt have operating system when we ordered. I'm of limited knowledge / ability at this stuff so if you can give me link to exaclty what I'd need to order that would be great!

Sorry, I am not trying to offend.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-verdict-is-in-on-windows-10-gaming-performance-compatibility/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Short answer: No.

There is no evidence to indicate that Windows 7 is a superior OS for gaming over Windows 10.

A lot of the hate towards Windows 10 is because the interface is different. Change = BAD type of thing. It's a perception issue Canterelle.

As for the compatibility issue, what are the games that your son plans on playing? Games from early 2000 will be a problem. Games from the last few years will run without a problem. I play a game that was released in 2010 and it runs flawlessly on Windows 10.

I say this in the nicest way possible, your son is misinformed on the facts between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Oh sure he thinks he knows it all - problem is I dont know enough to put him right :D He is playing "league of legends" i think and some other games, dont know name of. He also gets stuff off steam?

Thanks. Oh sure he thinks he knows it all - problem is I dont know enough to put him right :D He is playing "league of legends" i think and some other games, dont know name of. He also gets stuff off steam?

He'll be grand using Windows 7 or Windows 10. I suggest Windows 10 to comfortably remain in the support lifecycle of the OS.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Windows 10 also boots up faster :cool:

Thanks for all replies - is there anywhere else I should be posting for cheapest and quickest solution to get PC up and running in next day or so?

Thanks for all replies - is there anywhere else I should be posting for cheapest and quickest solution to get PC up and running in next day or so?

PC Building & Upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Windows 7 Pro for €17.90 - http://www.softwarebilliger.de/windows-7-professional-download/

Download only.

• Advertisement

Páid wrote: »
    Windows 7 Pro for €17.90 - http://www.softwarebilliger.de/windows-7-professional-download/

Download only.

Thanks. This is probably an all time stupid q but how do I download if theres no operating system on the new pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

You will need to use another PC and burn a DVD of the image or create a bootable USB key.

You need the 64 bit version because you have 8GB ram.

Páid wrote: »
    You will need to use another PC and burn a DVD of the image or create a bootable USB key.

You need the 64 bit version because you have 8GB ram.

Thanks again but this is a bit beyond me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
    is a good source for buying keys.

Go with windows 10, not windows 7 (better, faster, longer time to obsolescence).
    Use youtube on guides / tutorials how to download and install using a suitably sized USB key.
    eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA

Ok, bear with my ignorance:

What are keys?

He got a USB thingy separately with new pc. Can I download Windows onto another PC then upload it onto the USB and install on new pc that way?

Ok, bear with my ignorance:

What are keys?

He got a USB thingy separately with new pc. Can I download Windows onto another PC then upload it onto the USB and install on new pc that way?

Keys are unique codes that allow you to use a copy of software (license). At some point in the installation process you will be requested to enter this code in order to proceed.

You can download windows on another pc, get it on a usb key (minimum size i think is 8gb for 64bit Windows), and install it that way.

As I said, watch tutorials on youtube (more than one) to gain understanding of the process, it's not too difficult, but if you are unfamiliar with this sort of stuff it will help a lot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Key is the unique code that "unlocks" the Windows software and lets Microsoft know you have indeed purchased a legal copy of the product. You're asked to enter it when you're installing Windows. You can download Windows from Microsoft right now for free, but it's the key that makes it work that's the valuable thing.

You've been really fked over by whoever was selling a PC with no OS. I skimmed Amazon really quick, your son's been badly ripped off and I'd be returning it if it's within the 14 days no questions asked period. For that sorta money, you'll get much, much better from the regulars on the PC Building & Upgrading forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Where are you based Canterelle? If you were able to get your hands on a USB key that's ready to go all you have to do is type in the license. Last time i bought Windows 10 i got it from here

Shiminay wrote: »
    The Key is the unique code that "unlocks" the Windows software and lets Microsoft know you have indeed purchased a legal copy of the product. You're asked to enter it when you're installing Windows. You can download Windows from Microsoft right now for free, but it's the key that makes it work that's the valuable thing.

You've been really fked over by whoever was selling a PC with no OS. I skimmed Amazon really quick, your son's been badly ripped off and I'd be returning it if it's within the 14 days no questions asked period. For that sorta money, you'll get much, much better from the regulars on the PC Building & Upgrading forum.

Ouch -really? We paid 485 for this gaming pc bundle. Im based in Palmerstown D 20. We just got it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Shiminay wrote: »

It's hardly a rip off. Assuming it was this one, it clearly states in the product description:
    "Please note: does not include an Operating System, check our Amazon store for PCs with Windows or install your own; we include all relevant driver discs."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not a rip-off considering it has a monitor, keyboard, mouse, with it for that price, but it is what you pay for - a fairly poor gaming PC.

League of Legends will be OK but any of the mainstream big releases will barely run ( or not run at all) even on lowest settings.

:eek:
    Have I been badly ripped off? we were looking at laptops and they were same price?

Have I been badly ripped off?

no

You haven't been ripped off, but it's a very low-end gaming PC.

To be fair, when you're paying less than 500 for a machine, with keyboard, mouse and monitor delivered, you get what you pay for. It wouldn't be fair to say that the seller ripped you off. You wouldn't have done any better with that money in any retail operation.

If your son is only playing League of Legends he will be fine....the problem is if he suddenly wants to play the mainstream action and shooting games, they won't run well on that machine at all.

With regards laptops, proper gaming laptops start at around €750+.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Have I been badly ripped off? we were looking at laptops and they were same price?

it's a decent rig for a decent price - though they could have included the OS with it, that was a bit crap of them.

it's a decent rig for a decent price - though they could have included the OS with it, that was a bit crap of them.

I wouldn't call it a decent rig from a gaming perspective. Not a rip-off, but we are talking about a PC that would just about run Fallout 4 or Black Ops 3 at 1280x800 low settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I wouldn't call it a decent rig from a gaming perspective. Not a rip-off, but we are talking about a PC that would just about run Fallout 4 or Black Ops 3 at 1280x800 low settings.

the way i'm valuing it is that it's got everything ye need to start gaming straight away(except the feckin OS)

keyboard, mouse, monitor, reasonable mid-range spec i reckon, fair enough they might all be average when compared to a custom build worth over grand - but they amount to a decent price and what it's being used for is LoL so yeah, under 5 ton, brand new, has warranty for 3 years. Works (as soon as ye have an OS) out of the box. Decent enough deal imo

Sorry i lost the link to it, so i'm assuming there are speakers or a headset included in it.

All that peripheral stuff, even the cheap stuff, that costs a fair amount when ye tally it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

In fairness this is enough to get started on LoL. If its a case that he wants to move onto more mainstream games you can always add a discrete graphics card later . Although you would have to check the motherboard to ensure it will actually take a gfx card (99% of them will) also the power supply will be something to check if this is the route you take. Ask questions in the upgrade forums if you go this route, they will help you pick the right one to suit your needs and ensure its compatible with your system.

As to your actual problem of getting Windows onto it the other lads have given good advice. the reddit site posted is very cheap but bare in mind leaves you little to no comeback if their poster disappears. that in mind though I have used these and found them to be fine.

Personally I would go Windows 10. as stated before Window life cycles means you will get supported with updates from microsoft for alot longer with W10. If he has any issues with games usually if you google it there is some sort of work around... well this is in my experience at least.

We didnt get headphones but not a major issue. My son is 10 years old and this is his first gaming pc (or any pc!) He has wrecked his sisters laptop playing games on it, so he saved up since last year to get pc. I would be gutted if I thought we'd have been as well off getting a laptop (they were around 490 / 500). Really annoyed with myself for not copping on about OS but hopefully I can get that sorted for ? maybe €50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

It's fine for now but if he could save for a decent graphics card or if Santy was to be generous it would last him a good few years
    no you were right to get a desktop as for the same money you would get a laptop that would be worse for games as they have to cut things down to fit into such a small chassis, decent gaming laptops that can play games properly are going to be €400 - €500 more than an equivalent gaming desktop

Advertisement