Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

From a manual isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

From a manual isn't it?

I presumed he was still talking about gigabyte boards and from the 5 boards they have listed they dont have a "knob".:o

Just saw its from the Msi Titanium motherboard and i stand corrected.

Either way auto overclocks are never good imo as the normally set volts higher than needed and in some cases the can be set at dangerous levels.

Edit:

Taken from the manual,
    The success of overclocking depends on the components of your computer.

We do not guarantee the GAME BOOST overclocking range or the damages/risks
    caused by overclocking behavior.

MSI components are recommended for better compatibility when using GAME
    BOOST function

I use MSI game boost @ 4.4 on my i7 6700k + MSI gaming carbon mobo, works flawlessly tbh, can get 4.5 with a manual overclock but I have issues with speed throttling on manual so I just use boost.
    If it works as well with an 8core/16thread I'll use it

Just saw something on Facebook saying the Asus crosshair vi hero am4 mobo is compatible with am3 cooler mounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Are many of you planning on getting the new AMD CPU's?
    After the latest round of details, I will definitely be upgrading my 5820k to an 1800x but will be going with a cheaper motherboard this time around with an Asus X370 pro.
    This should be a nice upgrade from my 5820k and X99 deluxe II other than losing some features from a lower end board.
    I'm hoping the 6900k has to come down to a similar price to the 1800x to compete, if so I will pick one up also and use it for an unraid dual purpose system :). Knowing Intel I doubt this will happen though.
    Parts I hope to get:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-eight-core-1800x-4.00ghz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39v-am.html
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-prime-x370-pro-amd-x370-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69f-as.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

deceit wrote: »
    Are many of you planning on getting the new AMD CPU's?

I think it's a question of when I get one at this point. I'm still rocking a 2500k and P67 board from 2011 so I'm thinking this is going to be a golden opportunity to upgrade.

Some interesting comparison data I came across earlier (caveat emptor - not sure of the data quality):

Single Thread cost/performance Cinebench chart

Multithread cost/performance Cinebench chart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Just saw something on Facebook saying the Asus crosshair vi hero am4 mobo is compatible with am3 cooler mounts

Tom published this then pulled it a couple of hours later.
    https://youtu.be/O2zyjSqPAFs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

deceit wrote: »
    Are many of you planning on getting the new AMD CPU's? l[/url]

I'm holding out for the 6core/12thread chips myself (for rock-steady 120fps gaming), also need to know more about the motherboards (and I want at least 6x SATA ports).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Actually if my C2750 is due to cap itself now I wonder if AMD will drop a ULV variant of the 1700...with a rake of SATA ports that'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ryzen hype train atm.

eadaea14e5278080b8121a351e35a925.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm holding out for the 6core/12thread chips myself (for rock-steady 120fps gaming), also need to know more about the motherboards (and I want at least 6x SATA ports).

Assuming that the CPU's really do deliver on single thread, I'm also thinking 6/12 are the ones to watch.

Very curious about the 4/8 CPU's as well on the lower end which would represent the best value of all and will hopefully return us to the days of matching a cheap CPU with a high-end GPU without having to worry about bottlenecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Some serious discounting on Intels from some suppliers

http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Assuming that the CPU's really do deliver on single thread, I'm also thinking 6/12 are the ones to watch.

Very curious about the 4/8 CPU's as well on the lower end which would represent the best value of all and will hopefully return us to the days of matching a cheap CPU with a high-end GPU without having to worry about bottlenecks.

Yeah 6/12 seems like the sweet spot, price wise too.

Can't wait for the R5 series either. Intel held back the market and the industry for waaay too long.

Because i5's were max 4c/4t companies were hesitant to multithread over 4 threads. This held multithreading back for so long, but I guess it was in their best interests because they had such good IPC in single threaded stuff.

Now things are becoming more multithreaded as developers come around to it and you have people who spent €275 on an i5(not to mind another €200 on DDR4 and mobo) 6 months ago struggling to run new games like BF1 because all 4 cores are maxed out.

4c/8t becoming the desktop standard for entry to mid level builds has been a long time coming and we'll have AMD to thank for making it viable for way more people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Probably a good time to be in the market for a cpu... Would only be getting the entry level 1700 model, but it's looking promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭sheepy01

LOL when Intel cuts prices drastically you know sh/t just got real

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Inviere

Are we likely to see m-itx AM4 boards any time soon? I'm planning an m-itx build but am holding off on Intel to see how the Ryzen 6/12's fare out

Inviere wrote: »
    Are we likely to see m-itx AM4 boards any time soon? I'm planning an m-itx build but am holding off on Intel to see how the Ryzen 6/12's fare out
    Haven't seen any yet, they'll be chipsets A/B/X300

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yakult wrote: »
    Probably a good time to be in the market for a cpu... Would only be getting the entry level 1700 model, but it's looking promising.

This wouldn't be entry level. These CPUs are enthusiast level ones. R5 will be mid-range, R3 will be entry level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

Lol at some of the overclocks,200mhz :P

Taken from this bundle
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-ryzen-7-overclocked-bundle-amd-1700-asus-b350-plus-8gb-corsair-ddr4-bequiet-dark-rock
    The R7 1700 is a 8 Core 16 thread CPU which we overclock from 3GHz to 3.8GHz for great performance in all games and applications.
    Emm it turbos to 3.7 so thats some description :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Couple of interesting things from a recent RedGamingTech youtube video:

The B350 supports Crossfire but not SLI
    My initial impression that B350 would not support either, as ppl who were running dual cards would be more likely to be looking at the X370, but it appears that B350 does support Crossfire - but not SLI.

4 slot RAM compatability issues
    For those pre-ordering, there seems to be an issue with RAM clocked over 2400mhz when using all 4 slots. 2 slots only are no issue up to 3200mhz. Apparently there will be a BIOS fix for this in a month or two, as to date AMD's focus has been on CPU performance.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So Q2 for the R5 range is what im reading,so that could be may/june?

Its a bit strange the AMD lineup now,top end cpu's but only really mid tier gpu's. Guess this wont be sorted till Vega and the R5/3 Ryzen cpu's are all released

EoinHef wrote: »
    So Q2 for the R5 range is what im reading,so that could be may/june?

Its a bit strange the AMD lineup now,top end cpu's but only really mid tier gpu's. Guess this wont be sorted till Vega and the R5/3 Ryzen cpu's are all released

Most likely out of necessity. Their bottom line needs the boost of the R7 sales, probably facilitates them to ramp up production of R5's and Vega.

Nvidia is certainly getting a sales boost from Ryzen though, IMO it's why they scheduled 1080 Ti to release around the same time. Most prebuilt systems are pairing Ryzen and 1070/1080's so far.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Most likely out of necessity. Their bottom line needs the boost of the R7 sales, probably facilitates them to ramp up production of R5's and Vega.

Nvidia is certainly getting a sales boost from Ryzen though, IMO it's why they scheduled 1080 Ti to release around the same time. Most prebuilt systems are pairing Ryzen and 1070/1080's so far.

Its a shame,they lost a good bit of ground at the high end with nothing to really compete with the 1070/1080.

And now it looks like they can break the intel monopoly they still have nothing at the high end gpu wise to allow them to really put a dent into nvidia market share too.

One thing at a time i suppose but they havent done themselves any favours there really. Someone wants a high end system its gonna be ryzen but still an nvidia gpu. Hopefully vega comes out soon and changes that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Its a shame,they lost a good bit of ground at the high end with nothing to really compete with the 1070/1080.

And now it looks like they can break the intel monopoly they still have nothing at the high end gpu wise to allow them to really put a dent into nvidia market share too.

One thing at a time i suppose but they havent done themselves any favours there really. Someone wants a high end system its gonna be ryzen but still an nvidia gpu. Hopefully vega comes out soon and changes that.

Vega announcement is in a few days. It's probably a few months away from release at the most so it's not that bad.

Vega announcement is in a few days. It's probably a few months away from release at the most so it's not that bad.

Id agree its not that bad,buts its not optimal either. Were talkin about a company thats struggling but still produces good tech that has a large gap in both there cpu and gpu line ups currently. Just think if they could have managed to be a bit more corordinated they could take better advantage of the hype these releases create.

Id agree its not that bad,buts its not optimal either. Were talkin about a company thats struggling but still produces good tech that has a large gap in both there cpu and gpu line ups currently. Just think if they could have managed to be a bit more corordinated they could take better advantage of the hype these releases create.

They have like 8% of the R&D budget of Intel. Both Nvidia and Intel's earnings dwarf their own.

They typically make much less on GPU's anyways, so going after the high end CPU market where they have shown to be extremely competitive is the best business move.

It's not ideal but compromises have to be made after AMD essentially rebooted itself from going out of business. For a first stab at new CPU's, it's not bad either. Consumer market is so small anyways, the real money is in workstation and servers and this is where I imagine AMD are cleaning up.

Going forward the money they make will allow them to be more co-ordinated though.

Lots of people will upgrade modularly anyways, like I'm considering the r5 1600x/mobbo/ddr4 but I'll likely wait til Vega launches before upgrading my GPU as what I have now will do me and I usually try and wait til new product launches as Nvidia will be forced to drop prices in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More leaks from a Chinese site (includes gaming benchmarks)

1700x vs i7 6800k

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-gaming-benchamrks/

Again, take with a pinch of salt as real benchmarks due in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

FYI, those four entries after the Cinebench scores are power consumption. Pretty sweet.

Translated results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    More leaks from a Chinese site (includes gaming benchmarks)

1700x vs i7 6800k

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-gaming-benchamrks/

Again, take with a pinch of salt as real benchmarks due in a few days

I just read that and seen we won't get official reviews till March 02nd. For some reason I always assumed it was Feb 28th that we will get them.

Advertisement