Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ZwY05FK.jpg

Ryzen Master, appears to be a Wattman for your CPU.

Seems to offer per core overclocking, and you can disable cores too so you could potentially disable 4 cores on an R7 for games that aren't multithreaded well and it should give you a higher ceiling to overclock the active cores.

Can't tell if it offers per core voltage modifiers.

Anyways it's a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Gimped as in limiting features? Given that's what seperates the chipsets, I don't understand what you mean.

Features, worse capacitors/MOSFETs, layout.
    TBH I doubt it'll happen.

Will keep an eye out for best B350 motherboards for future build recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Features, worse capacitors/MOSFETs, layout.
    TBH I doubt it'll happen.

Will keep an eye out for best B350 motherboards for future build recommendations.

Ah yeah, never thought of the physical aspects.

You're probably the only one who will tbf, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Can't remember what it's called, but there's a feature buried in Windows somewhere that lets you assign the default physical core on a CPU that Windows will use for single-core operations. The idea being that you can assign it to the core that will achieve the highest overclock. I wonder if MS will add support to allow Ryzen to use this as well.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Can't remember what it's called, but there's a feature buried in Windows somewhere that lets you assign the default physical core on a CPU that Windows will use for single-core operations. The idea being that you can assign it to the core that will achieve the highest overclock. I wonder if MS will add support to allow Ryzen to use this as well.

CPU affinity in task manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm going to guess they won't clock as high by running into a thermal limit, simply because they're sold as 65W TDP instead of the 1700x/1800x @ 95W TDP

Just a guess though!

Even if they can only reach stock 1800x levels it's still a bargain that comes with a decent cooler out of the box. €360 for something that matches a stock 6900k with cheaper motherboards is crazy good for workstation users.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Nor sure if this is related to the Ryzen release, Amazon seem to have reduced pricing on most motherboards.. These prices could have been sale items (pre Ryzen), but to see so many motherboards reduced in price is interesting?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A428655031%2Cn%3A430512031%2Ck%3Amotherboard%2Cp_72%3A419153031&keywords=motherboard&ie=UTF8&qid=1487805957&rnid=419152031

moeblogs wrote: »
    Nor sure if this is related to the Ryzen release, Amazon seem to have reduced pricing on most motherboards.. These prices could have been sale items (pre Ryzen), but to see so many motherboards reduced in price is interesting?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A340831031%2Cn%3A428655031%2Cn%3A430512031%2Ck%3Amotherboard%2Cp_72%3A419153031&keywords=motherboard&ie=UTF8&qid=1487805957&rnid=419152031

I'd say it's definitely related to the release. AMD will be lowering their prices to try and clear old stock and make way for Ryzen.

Intel have probably instructed chipset makers to lower their prices to counter Ryzen launching. I'm sure they will be paid for their trouble.

Keep an eye on i7 prices in the next few days, I'm sure we'll see a significant drop in them too.

....Finally, competition..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

BloodBath wrote: »
    Even if they can only reach stock 1800x levels it's still a bargain that comes with a decent cooler out of the box. €360 for something that matches a stock 6900k with cheaper motherboards is crazy good for workstation users.

Even the lower end 1700 CPUs with 8 cores and 16 threads will provide incredible bang for your buck for mid range workstations for heavily multi-threaded tasks. I reckon I'll do an upgrade myself sometime over the summer and pick a configuration based on funds and performance. Probably move up from 32gb of RAM to 64gb at the same time as I could see many of those extra cores running extra processes and VMs rather than just extra threads on the same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They're making Ryzen so sexy with the sleek black coolers, boxes are tidy and fairly minimal too.

Appealing to the sleek minimal and the black and xyz colour scheme crews

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

They're making Ryzen so sexy with the sleek black coolers, boxes are tidy and fairly minimal too.

Appealing to the sleek minimal and the black and xyz colour scheme crews

Those AMD coolers look awesome but unless they can compete against the usual tower coolers for overclocking I just don't see them making that big a splash.

Venom wrote: »
    Those AMD coolers look awesome but unless they can compete against the usual tower coolers for overclocking I just don't see them making that big a splash.

The previous-gen Wraith cooler was already performing around the same level as CoolerMaster Hyper 212 / D92, and that was with 125W TDP chips.

These seem to have been at a press conference too:
    Tt9GQGGl.jpg
    yU86BHZl.jpg
    40l2GhVl.jpg
    bOgmToPl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

So it looks like they definitely overclock well. Mental setup but snagging a world record is encouraging that Ryzen is making AMD a serious contender again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

L wrote: »
    So it looks like they definitely overclock well. Mental setup but snagging a world record is encouraging that Ryzen is making AMD a serious contender again.
    On LN though, not really comparable to air/water as they used vcore of 1.8+. I don't think these will go much beyond 4.2 with an AIO, would love to be wrong though.

It's hard to say really considering that is a Liquid Nitrogen setup. 5.1 Ghz, you could maybe say 4.5 Ghz on a good air/liquid setup, which isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's hard to say really considering that is a Liquid Nitrogen setup. 5.1 Ghz, you could maybe say 4.5 Ghz on a good air/liquid setup, which isn't bad at all.

That's my thought as well. Extreme overclocking is more of a destructive test of the hardware than representative of day to day use. Still, impressive & cause to be optimistic.

• Advertisement

That's my thought as well. Extreme overclocking is more of a destructive test of the hardware than representative of day to day use. Still, impressive & cause to be optimistic.

The rumoured clock speeds of 3.3/3.7 turned out to be false for the r5 1600x.

3.6/4.0 suggests that those with less cores will achieve a higher clock speed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 4ct/4t and 4c/8t managed 4.2 Ghz turbo out of the box.

Of note, that record was held by an i7-5960X @6.0GHz on LN2
    http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cinebench_-_r15/rankings?cores=8#start=0#interval=20

Of note, that record was held by an i7-5960X @6.0GHz on LN2
    http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cinebench_-_r15/rankings?cores=8#start=0#interval=20

Shows how much better AMD is at multithreading if with same core count and nearly a full GHz it can still beat it.

5960X TDP is 140w too
    R7 1800x is 95w

82 different motherboards at launch. Pretty insane. The reviewers have a lot of work on their hands.

Did the Excavator/bulldozer line even get that many in their entire life cycle?

82 different motherboards at launch. Pretty insane. The reviewers have a lot of work on their hands.

Definitely much less. In the high end especially seems to be loads of choice. It's a good sign anyways that chipset makers are showing so much faith in AMD.

They stand to make a good bit more per board compared to Intel chipsets, LGA charge a fair chunk to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'd say yes, just pointlessly fragmented along overlapping chipsets/sockets that I'm sure even the manufacturers had trouble understanding.

There's mounting evidence that Ryzen actually has slightly better IPC than Kabylake only kabylake clocks higher. AMD really outdid themselves this time.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1700x-benchmarks-leaked-beats-kaby-lake-ipc/

Most of the other benchmark comparisons I've seen have had big gaps in clock speeds but if you scale Ryzen speeds up to match they should push ahead. Only problem is 7600k/7700k's clock to around 5Ghz.

Hopefully with the right cooling and board most of the Ryzen line can get to around 4.5ghz. The 7600k/7700k could stay competitive in the gaming markets if intel slashes the prices by about 30-40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well now that's very interesting.

I can't remember the last time I was so interested in a CPU launch, never mind excited. The i7 920, maybe?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yes the 1st gen Core i series was the last time I had a real interest in the market, that was the point AMD lost their ground hard on Intel. It seems that AMD really have hit the nail on these CPUs and of course the consumers pocket will come out on top after all this. Delighted for all concerned really.

• Advertisement

My poor Xeon is going to lose so much value though :D

Advertisement