Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman at Work who says she a Fat B*tch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

OP at least she seems to have a sense of humour :)

Where I work I'm constantly having to deal with absolute snobs. I mean complete pencil necked gits with zero sense of humour that think they are somehow superior to others and are almost sickened at the sight of actual work going on. The other day I had to sort out a network problem for one of these, his network cable had been knocked loose by his folding motorised scooter. While I was moving al the crap under his desk out of the way, he just stood there and watched. Bad enough I have to crawl across where people rest their shoes after stepping in God knows what but I also have to deal with their forgotten sandwiches, dirty gym gear and mountains of self help manuals. I had the last laugh though, I found half a chocolate pretzel! score! and I popped a keylogger between his keyboard and usb port so now I'm reading all his emails and working out which URL all these passwords belong to. must remember to update the firewalls, there's some really dodgy **** making it past the smut filters.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I agree with this. She isn't trying to make anyone feel awkward, more like she's putting it out there that she's aware she's overweight before anyone else can think it, because she thinks they'll be thinking it regardless. In reality most people wouldn't bat an eyelid, unless she took way more than everyone else or something!

Exactly, just everyday office nonsense that wouldn't occupy my mind for more than 30 seconds after it happened.

But no, DOESN'T SHE REALISE HOW UNHEALTHY SHE IS? :pac: Yes, I would say she does! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You brought in some treats and she was the only person outside of your team who indulged? Or was she just the only fat one?

Anyway, I like her. And not just because she's got big tits.

#TeamFatChick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Elliott S wrote: »
    Sounds like a self-deprecating, self-aware joke. I'd just have smiled!

I can't fathom such humourlessness as the above. Of course it's not remotely surprising that AH contributors would be sanctimonius on this subject.

I'm mean she clearly realises she's overweight.

+1

WTF, like?
    Oh I'm not judging, but I'd be pissed if no more cake was being brought into the office because one person isn't "supposed" to have. She should just take it and not feel guilty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Self deprecating humour. She acknowledged her own weakness and played a joke on it by blaming you for tempting her with the sweets.

Op did you really take her seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Muckie wrote: »
    "Stop bring in food, your bring out the fat b*tch in me"

"Who brought her out all the other days?"

Oh I'm not judging, but I'd be pissed if no more cake was being brought into the office because one person isn't "supposed" to have. She should just take it and not feel guilty about it.

If I know offices, that wont happen! :D The cake supply never stops!

The only thing that used to annoy me about cake-suppliers in the office is poeple who had clearly been on a baking frenzy the night before and who would plonk their wares in the middle of the table at teabreak, looking on expectantly at people. You'd feel almost obliged to have some. I did resist a lot of the time because one can't be eating cake every day but, man, sometimes I'd feel so guilty not sampling the wares.

Some of the offices I was in could honestly have done with a reduction in the cake supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Give her a token for two bathroom scales from Lildl, each good for 180kg

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

If I know offices, that wont happen! :D The cake supply never stops!

The only thing that used to annoy me about cake-suppliers in the office is poeple who had clearly been on a baking frenzy the night before and who would plonk their wares in the middle of the table at teabreak, looking on expectantly at people. You'd feel almost obliged to have some. I did resist a lot of the time because one can't be eating cake every day but, man, sometimes I'd feel so guilty not sampling the wares.

Some of the offices I was in could honestly have done with a reduction in the cake supply!
    I had a German manager for about 4 years, every event was an excuse for cake at 4pm...nom Germans really know their cakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Sounds like a self-deprecating, self-aware joke. I'd just have smiled!

I can't fathom such humourlessness as the above. Of course it's not remotely surprising that AH contributors would be sanctimonius on this subject.

I'm mean she clearly realises she's overweight.

+1

WTF, like?
    I don't think person making a joke is a problem in that case, a lack of humor is...

BTW my reply would be: and I am a mean bastard/bitch. And a smile. It really is that easy.

• Advertisement

I had a German manager for about 4 years, every event was an excuse for cake at 4pm...nom Germans really know their cakes!

Actually, yes, I also worked with a German lady who loved her baking. But like, cake is so calorific, plus I think having it so often takes away from its specialness on birthdays and whatnot. Now, the office birthday cake is a fine tradition!
    meeeeh wrote: »
    I so think person making a joke us problem in that case, lack of humor is...

You sentence write good! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It seems I was too slow with my editing.

BTW has anyone else problems editing posts in new format?

LoLth wrote: »
    OP at least she seems to have a sense of humour :)

Where I work I'm constantly having to deal with absolute snobs. I mean complete pencil necked gits with zero sense of humour that think they are somehow superior to others and are almost sickened at the sight of actual work going on. The other day I had to sort out a network problem for one of these, his network cable had been knocked loose by his folding motorised scooter. While I was moving al the crap under his desk out of the way, he just stood there and watched. Bad enough I have to crawl across where people rest their shoes after stepping in God knows what but I also have to deal with their forgotten sandwiches, dirty gym gear and mountains of self help manuals. I had the last laugh though, I found half a chocolate pretzel! score! and I popped a keylogger between his keyboard and usb port so now I'm reading all his emails and working out which URL all these passwords belong to. must remember to update the firewalls, there's some really dodgy **** making it past the smut filters.

:D

LOLTH! Parodying a parody post - how very meta.

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Self deprecating humour. She acknowledged her own weakness and played a joke on it by blaming you for tempting her with the sweets.

That's it exactly. I feel a little sorry for her in that she obviously feels the need to pass a remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Olishi4 wrote: »

Ah no, it's just this isn't the first time she has said something like this.
    Recently a new guy in the office was sitting with her and he made the mistake of thinking she was pregnant.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Just another salad dodger

I would say something PC like .... Shouldn't you be on a step aerobic machine somewhere ?

Recently a new guy in the office was sitting with her and he made the mistake of thinking she was pregnant.......

Well, that makes her comment even more understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Do you think she should have to justify her appearance or her diet to the rest of you on the team?

Do you think she should have to justify her appearance or her diet to the rest of you on the team?

No she just mentions her weight.
    Chap didn't know what to do or say.
    It's not like anyone slags her about it.
    A lot of people have body issues.
    Other people on the Team enjoyed the treats, cheers Muckie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

But why would you start your OP with her diet of junk food and medical condition? Leave her alone. If you're going to bring in treats, bring them for everyone. If you begrudge her having some, either don't bring them or don't share then out in front of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Society has made fat people feel like they need to apologise every time they eat something tasty. "How dare you stuff your big fat face when there's people homeless/people unemployed/an obesity epidemic/no hospital beds for the elderly/Irish boxers being cheated in Brazil!"

Fat people are getting blamed for everything nowadays, but while in some cases their size can be attributed to gluttony and nothing else there's usually deeper issues at play, whether physiological or psychological.

Let them eat cake I say, so long as they leave a slice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

put on ''all about that bass'' and start singing and dancing, willing her to join in. call it a bonding experience.

Ah c'mon Lexie. She put him in an awkward position for nor reason. OP does something nice for the office and someone has a go at him over it.
    But why would you start your OP with her diet of junk food and medical condition?

Context
    Leave her alone.

She brought this up.
    If you're going to bring in treats, bring them for everyone.

He did.
    If you begrudge her having some, either don't bring them or don't share then out in front of her.

He's not begrudging anyone. Maybe she has to learn a little something called self control and stop making people feel awkward with her silly comments.

But why would you start your OP with her diet of junk food and medical condition? Leave her alone. If you're going to bring in treats, bring them for everyone. If you begrudge her having some, either don't bring them or don't share then out in front of her.

Don't begrudge her anything, don't mind what she does, she's a pleasant enough woman. Others who are nearly as over weight took and ate the treats, along with skinny people, I don't mind.
    She just mentioned her weight, quite out loud for the desk and the area around it.
    "I'm a fat bitch"......ok, so I nodded awkwardly and went back to work.
    That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Sounds like she made a rubbish joke, possibly because she feels a bit insecure scoffing treats in front of everyone. Or possibly cos she has a sh te sense of humour. I have an obese workmate that makes fun of her own weight regularly, I don't really find it awkward, it's just standard rubbish office banter about something I don't care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sounds like a joke to me too, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

I would of said "it's not you're fault" repeatedly while slowly walking towards her.

Ah c'mon Lexie. She put him in an awkward position for nor reason. OP does something nice for the office and someone has a go at him over it.

Context

She brought this up.

He did.

He's not begrudging anyone. Maybe she has to learn a little something called self control and stop making people feel awkward with her silly comments.

Well, we don't know the full story. Someone asked her if she was pregnant before. She might have reason to feel a bit self-conscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You should have simply and politely replied 'knock yourself out there fat arse, another few lbs won't make any difference at your weight' and laugh.

Advertisement