Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman at Work who says she a Fat B*tch

Options
  • 17-08-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I work in an Office and one of my work colleagues has a weight problem.
    She eats nothing but junk food and has a medical issue.

I brought in some treats when i came back from holiday to share with my Team.

She came over and was helping herself much like the others, but she then said
    "Stop bring in food, your bring out the fat b*tch in me"

How does someone answer that?

I just mumbled, "ah, yeah enjoy..ha ha ha..awkward"....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Well fat bottomed girls do make the world go round.

Maybe she was coming onto you.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Has she never heard of taking responsibility for her own decisions, like a grown up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I wouldn't answer it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You mean you didn't offer her a napkin too?

How inconsiderate of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a320famalam

Haha I love that theres a thread on this.

Personally I'd just say "Ah well, it's not everyday, enjoy!". Quite frankly, it wouldn't be my problem whether she's overweight or not, I've just brought in some treats. Haha good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Muckie wrote: »
    but she then said

'Oh, I didn't bring it out honey.
    She's been out for a long time now...' while averting your gaze to her oversized gut...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Muckie wrote: »

"Don't worry, I'm gonna bring in fruit for the next few weeks and see if I can bring out the skinny bitch in you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Tell her you're a feeder. Bonus points if you are dressed like the Unabomber at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She was fishing for a compliment - "You're not that fat", "You're thinner than you were last year", "Angela from accounts is fatter than you". You missed a trick there OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

ignore her, dont let her make you feel awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Or you react as if you've ever had human interaction before and laugh like a normal person

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

"I clean myself with a rag on a stick"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

brevity wrote: »
    "I clean myself with a rag on a stick"
    *applause*

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Well if the shoe fits!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

or you just say, "She was here already".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

smash wrote: »
    "Don't worry, I'm gonna bring in methamphetamine for the next few weeks and see if I can bring out the skinny bitch in you!"
    Fixed that for you friend.

In fairness to her, she may have been trying to puncture the "look at her scoffing herself" mood.

It was probably awkward, but I wouldn't conclude she was trying to make you feel awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Next time you come back from holidays bring in some bags of kale and almonds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

What would David Brent do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Well you are eating for two!
    *awkward pause*
    Eh, Im not pregnant..
    No I mean you're eating enough calories to sustain a healthy weight of two regular people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There’s a chap working here in deskside IT support who is extremely overweight. Stereotypical case - disgusting unkempt beard, wallet chain, black boots, combats, heavy metal or computer game t-shirt, vague smell of dried mushrooms off him. He’s extremely surly and sarky as well, but that is for another thread.

He’ll often emerge from wherever in the building the IT crew sit, and thud down the room looking for whoever had the misfortune of requiring his help. One day that poor misfortunate was me.

There he was puffing and panting as he rooted around under my desk looking to unplug a cable. I was standing back at a safe distance, looking on aghast. He emerged out from under the desk and had a half-eaten chocolate pretzel hanging out of his mouth as he did so! He couldn’t even carry out a minor task without feeling the need to snack.
    I couldn’t keep quiet, and suggested that he try a mindful eating exercise at some stage. I despair when I see someone eating al desko or stuffing their face mindlessly as they stare into a monitor. So uncouth.

It's hard to know what to say when this happens alright (when a clearly overweight woman makes a self-effacing joke/remark about it). Sort of imposes undeserved awkwardness on others. You are either forced to laugh and confirm to the woman that she is fat and make her feel bad and hate you. Or forced to deny that her remark has a basis in reality and look uncomfortable, giving it away that you are lying and then make her feel bad. I would just make a facial expression like "ah now, come on!" and kind of laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Sounds like a self-deprecating, self-aware joke. I'd just have smiled!
    Has she never heard of taking responsibility for her own decisions, like a grown up?

I can't fathom such humourlessness as the above. Of course it's not remotely surprising that AH contributors would be sanctimonius on this subject.

I'm mean she clearly realises she's overweight.
    Hrududu wrote: »
    Or you react as if you've ever had human interaction before and laugh like a normal person

+1

WTF, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

So uncouth.

You lost my support here. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

None for you fat bird.. said in the voice of Ritchie from Bottom

I'm thinking of a phrase involving AH bringing out the judgemental ***** in people.......

Nothing specific, mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Another refreshing it's fat people's own fault thread? Wow, I never realised that before. And I'm sure it never dawned on fat people it was their fault too!!!

OP, she was having a treat like everyone else and probably a little awkwardly trying to make a little joke of it. Give her a break and just offer a mild chuckle, or say it's only small or whatever meaningless office banter you'd give to whoever else.

blue note wrote: »
    OP, she was having a treat like everyone else and probably a little awkwardly trying to make a little joke of it. Give her a break and just offer a mild chuckle, or say it's only small or whatever meaningless office banter you'd give to whoever else.

I agree with this. She isn't trying to make anyone feel awkward, more like she's putting it out there that she's aware she's overweight before anyone else can think it, because she thinks they'll be thinking it regardless. In reality most people wouldn't bat an eyelid, unless she took way more than everyone else or something!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

nkav86 wrote: »
    Well if the shoe fits!

it doesn't, feet have gotten too big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Advertisement