Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir contract break

Options
  • 17-08-2016 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭

Hi for any one here who got a letter from eir last week,ref change of price of broadband,like I did,rang eir,complained,got an e30 credit,reduction of e5 on new contract,after adding landline,cancelled my eir mobile ,no penalty for breaking contract early(as letter stated,30 days to cancel contract,no penalty)so happy to stay ref broadband,but delighted to get out of 18 month e mobile contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

PS,took 2 hours of phoning,spoke to at least 8 different customer care, loyalty crowd ,etc,but worth it,presently waiting for unlocking code from eir,to enable me to port my number to my new provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

PS,took 2 hours of phoning,spoke to at least 8 different customer care, loyalty crowd ,etc,but worth it,presently waiting for unlocking code from eir,to enable me to port my number to my new provider.

And 2 posts in wrong forum :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whats the bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Whats the bargain?
    You can negotiate a better deal with Eir (they will want to keep you as a customer) or you can use the change in your contract to terminate your contract with Eir (without penalty) and move to another provider that maybe has a better price for BB service.

If you ring up for a better deal, its good to be prepared with details of what the competition in your area are offering, so you know if your getting a good offer or can push for better.

Companies bank on most customer not knowing that they are legally entitled to do this within 30 days of receiving notice of contract change that it's worth their while to give a good deal to those who bother to ring up (and if not, the customer can try to get a better deal elsewhere).

Whats the bargain?
    You can negotiate a better deal with Eir (they will want to keep you as a customer) or you can use the change in your contract to terminate your contract with Eir (without penalty) and move to another provider that maybe has a better price for BB service.

If you ring up for a better deal, its good to be prepared with details of what the competition in your area are offering, so you know if your getting a good offer or can push for better.

Companies bank on most customer not knowing that they are legally entitled to do this within 30 days of receiving notice of contract change that it's worth their while to give a good deal to those who bother to ring up (and if not, the customer can try to get a better deal elsewhere).
    Bargain for me is the e30 credit,no increase in my broadband fee,option to leave penalty free,(which has saved me a fair few Bob on the mobile deal,i got a substantial decrease on my mobile handset initially,after signing into a 18 month contract,saved over a 100e,a be as I'm now leaving penalty free reference mobile I'm over the moon,,,,,,,,real reason posting here is for anyone tied into an did contract,who would like to get out if a contract,penalty free,which normally costs a good few euro if in a fairly new contract,as I am,2 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just be mindful that cancelling a bill pay mobile account sometimes forfeits the number, that's the case with Vodafone anyway. Move to prepay while waiting for unlock code and for port to complete.

guil wrote: »

Just be mindful that cancelling a bill pay mobile account sometimes forfeits the number, that's the case with Vodafone anyway. Move to prepay while waiting for unlock code and for port to complete.
    The,not in my case,i ported number from my previous operator,waiting to receive unlocking code as I write,sorted it with sir customer care,tnx

The,not in my case,i ported number from my previous operator,waiting to receive unlocking code as I write,sorted it with sir customer care,tnx
    Sorry ref misspelling,fat fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Is there anyone who's offering broadband only for cheaper than 45?

not where I'm living,virgin to me looks good,cheaper than eir,,check bonkers or any comparison site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Del007 wrote: »
    Is there anyone who's offering broadband only for cheaper than 45?

Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Vodafone.

Vodafone are 40 for 6 months and then 55 after that, not much of a difference really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Del007 wrote: »
    Vodafone are 40 for 6 months and then 55 after that, not much of a difference really

The line rental factor is what makes this a crap deal (ditto with Eir).
    Best bet- probably is Virgin- if you can shake a semi reasonable deal out of them- and are in one of the coverage areas- otherwise- even the likes of Imagine (not in Dublin) with their LTE offering- is a superior product to Eircom and other copper offerings (and is not dependent on distance from the box).

Personally- I'm with Virgin- but not happy with the price- however, they really don't have any competition in the Irish market. The only reason to go with a company other than Virgin- is if you're in an area they don't cover.........

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Del007 wrote:

Vodafone simply broadband is 40 pm no increase after 6 months, the plan that goes from 40 to 55 is a broadband and phone deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Vodafone simply broadband is 40 pm no increase after 6 months, the plan that goes from 40 to 55 is a broadband and phone deal.

Yes this is correct. Its 40 per month and remains at 40 per month. With Vodafone.

I was with Eir for broadband only and paying 45 per month. Then they told me it was increasing to 50 per month.

So I left and joined Vodafone for 40 per month. Its the same line they use so why pay 10 quid per month extra?
    I was delighted to get the letter from Eir. It got me out of my contract save a few bob now.
    Had planned on leaving after contract up anyway so this was the perfect way to do it without paying a penalty.

Companies should think more carefully before trying to screw their customers.
    50 quid per month for broadband only, jokers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

Hi for any one here who got a letter from eir last week,ref change of price of broadband,like I did,rang eir,complained,got an e30 credit,reduction of e5 on new contract,after adding landline,cancelled my eir mobile ,no penalty for breaking contract early(as letter stated,30 days to cancel contract,no penalty)so happy to stay ref broadband,but delighted to get out of 18 month e mobile contract.

Interesting to see that they let you cancel the mobile part of your contract. They were adamant with me both here on Boards and via their CCM email address that I couldn't cancel the mobile part of my contract even though they were all bundled. The increased cost of keeping standalone mobile would be €20 pm which well outweighed the €7 increase on the bundle. Eir have yet to show me where my Ts & Cs allow them to separate my bundle in this way and Comreg is now dealing with the matter

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057620346

Interesting to see that they let you cancel the mobile part of your contract. They were adamant with me both here on Boards and via their CCM email address that I couldn't cancel the mobile part of my contract even though they were all bundled. The increased cost of keeping standalone mobile would be 20 pm which well outweighed the 7 increase on the bundle. Eir have yet to show me where my Ts & Cs allow them to separate my bundle in this way and Comreg is now dealing with the matter

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057620346
    Lucky me,but the mobile was a latter add on,2 months ago,did u receive a letter ref price increase?pm me and I'll ring u,or vice versa,if u need details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Is this email reason enough to cancel the contract?

YanisK wrote: »
    ?

?for me the price increase didn't sit right,i agreed an 18 month contract,they broke it,and it wasn't an email ,it was written on paper,again,,,,,,you have 30 days to cancel etc,etc,i didn't cancel broadband,im going on a plan which i pay the same as I do now(e45)and not the e50 they wanted,but as I wished to go pay as you go,with a different mobile operator,it suits me to cancel that,as I'll have lots more minutes,and 4 times as much data,and for e5 less @ month,on pay as you go

• Advertisement

?for me the price increase didn't sit right,i agreed an 18 month contract,they broke it,and it wasn't an email ,it was written on paper,again,,,,,,you have 30 days to cancel etc,etc,i didn't cancel broadband,im going on a plan which i pay the same as I do now(e45)and not the e50 they wanted,but as I wished to go pay as you go,with a different mobile operator,it suits me to cancel that,as I'll have lots more minutes,and 4 times as much data,and for e5 less @ month,on pay as you go

Del007 wrote:

Was offered Vodafone today 150 mb@ 40e monthly,2 months free,18 months contract

Del007 wrote:

P.s. I'm in a high speed area,box needs to fitted to exterior of house,wired from ESB box,t hen wired to modem inside,anyway looks a better,much better deal than eir,hope I'm right,mulling over it,eir loyalty team offered me unlimited calls,texts,10 GB of data for phone,and stand alone broadband for e75,w ring area for virgin,so looks like Vodafone seems better of the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Called the cancel hotline and since I am not patient enough I was happy enough when the magic discount was being put on my account to keep it at its current price. Im sure it could have been better if I wanted to go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's more than likely only €40 for 6 months.

That's more than likely only 40 for 6 months.
    No it's for 18 months,e40,2 months free,cold caller

That's more than likely only 40 for 6 months.
    No it's for 18 months,e40,2 months free,cold caller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Have to say I'm happy out I got the letter . big saving for me just to leave . Moved TV to sky got a free TV , moved broadband to Vodafone and mobile to Tesco . Saved a fortune thanks to Eir jacking up the price for the second time this year .

Good 4 u,i went to I'd mobile,6 months contract(option then to opt out)20 GB data,5'000 minutes,plus texts,e14.50,also only have my lumia 950 from e mobile for 2 months,coste350,below market price,no penalties,so very happy,vodaphone150 mb for e40 for the whole 18 months,so happy finally to leave the greedy eir company

• Advertisement

Good 4 u,i went to I'd mobile,6 months contract(option then to opt out)20 GB data,5'000 minutes,plus texts,e14.50,also only have my lumia 950 from e mobile for 2 months,coste350,below market price,no penalties,so very happy,vodaphone150 mb for e40 for the whole 18 months,so happy finally to leave the greedy eir company

Advertisement