Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're a racist now Ellen?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I thought this would be seen as a joke but if anything it's picking up steam. So damn weird.

https://twitter.com/LeslieMac/status/765689407445864448

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I doubt she has a malicious bone in her body.

She's probably had a few strapped to her body though!

Nudge! Nudge!
    Wink! Wink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Generation online snowflake strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Ellen is a prominent lesbian so she can't possibly be racist.

Exactly.

It's the same bullcrap double standards that saw BBC presenter John Inverdale removed from their tennis coverage for nothing more than a clumsy remark about a female player's looks.
    Meanwhile Clare Balding (lesbian) can insult a Grand National winning jockey about his looks-his teeth to be exact-with absolute impunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Just once I'd like someone to have the guts to not apologise over shit like this and tell morons who find it offensive to fuck off. Unfortunately these morons are always catered to and she'll end up buckling under the pressure and will apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

It's racist to say it's racist. Those accusing Ellen are the problem, linking black people to servitude. They made that link in their minds, not Ellen by the looks of things.

If anything it's showing themselves up and holding a mirror up to their own prejudices, it says everything about them and fuuck all about Ellen.

It was imo quite simply a tongue in cheek line about Usain being a quick form of transport for Ellen, because you know, he's fast. But no, these heroes had to bring race into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Okay. I'm totally lost here. Is it the 100M or the 200M she's supposed to have offended?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Racist?....no

but FUNNY?......no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

BizzyC wrote: »
    Racist?....no

but FUNNY?......no

Bang on BizzyC, that's the point that's being missed here.
    I know comedy and humour are very subjective things but I really can't see the 'joke', is there supposed to be more to it than 'oh he's very fast I'll get a piggyback'?,
    Btw, before those mortally offended at those who are mortally offended jump in....I don't think it's racist, though I do think it's very unfunny and for a professional comedian, that's a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I thought this would be seen as a joke but if anything it's picking up steam. So damn weird.

https://twitter.com/LeslieMac/status/765689407445864448
    "Picking up steam", not really. If you look through that woman's history, she's clearly racist and sexist herself, she can't see the irony about making disparaging remarks about white people and men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

the_syco wrote: »
    They'd probably be the same ones complaining if he was riding her.... :pac:

She wouldn't ride his sort:eek:

I'm not sure if that's racist, or is heterophobic a word, cos if it is, it could be that either - all's I know for sure is there'll be no riding going on.

People look for reasons to be offended these days. I very much doubt ellen is in any way racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's like when John Inverdale was interviewing Andy Murray after he won Gold.

He was reporting on the Men's Single's event, interviewing the winner of the Men's Single's event.

"You're the first to win two Gold medals..."

Obviously he assumed the viewers weren't braindead morons and assumed he was referring to that particular event and didn't deem it necessary to spell it out verbatim to the viewers...."You're the first to win two Gold medals...in the men's Olympic singles"
    It was true. Murray was the first to win two Gold's at the Singles.
    Murray, being the modest type, mentions the Williams sister's winning four between them, no big deal for me yadda yadda.

Cue bedlam.

Tweets, JK Rowling, Nicola Sturgeon, status updates about sexism, women exist!!!, Murray was a knight in shining armor, Inverdale was a sexist idiot etc etc etc.

It's true. There are people just waiting to splurge vitriol at the slightest of innocuous mis cues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or an awful lot of duels.
    For a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

valoren wrote: »

He was reporting on the Men's Single's event, interviewing the winner of the Men's Single's event.

Obviously he assumed the viewers weren't braindead morons and assumed he was referring to that particular event and didn't deem it necessary to spell it out verbatim to the viewers...."You're the first to win two Gold medals...in the men's Olympic singles"
    Murray, being the modest type, mentions the Williams sister's winning four between them, no big deal for me yadda yadda.

Cue bedlam.

Tweets, JK Rowling, Nicola Sturgeon, status updates about sexism, women exist!!!, Murray was a knight in shining armor, Inverdale was a sexist idiot etc etc etc.

It's true. There are people just waiting to splurge vitriol at the slightest of innocuous mis cues.

I agree with you. But it's worth pointing out that this was John Inverdale. Who made an absolute howler when presenting Wimbledon a few years ago and saying that Marion Bertoli's dad probably encouraged her to concentrate on becoming a stronger tennis player because she wasn't a looker like Sharapova.

I doubt that any other presenter would have had the same backlash for the Murray interview that Inverdale got. (Except maybe Andy Gray).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

So white lesbians have more privilege than black men? I better correct my privilege pyramid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Usain Bolt should come on the Ellen show and give her a piggyback around the stage and backstage area.

I really hope they recreate this now, with Ellen on his back. Just to eff with the eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Are lesbian tv hosts the black man's burden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

pajor wrote: »
    When a respectable news source like Time use tweets like this as a source of said 'offense'.. then I begin to despair.

https://twitter.com/JazzleDazzler/status/765334023262515200

This is the difference between 'PC gone mad rabble rabble' and people who just don't have anything better to do than find sh*t to get annoyed by.

Here’s the thing though, it was perfectly fine when the comments of literally 0.3% of viewers of a YouTube trailer were used to paint anybody that gave Ghostbusters 2016 a negative review as vile basesment dwelling misogynists.
    This is just an example of ‘political correctness eats itself’. Since the SJW crowd turned victimhood into a new source of privilege, you don't want to mess with peoples lofty status of victims, especially since they weaponized twitter to silence anybody that might disagree with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Either 12 people are trolling, or they have been in contact with too much lead.

How is this even offensive?

I'm looking forward to colonizing other planets. I really hope that this will give mankind a chance to start afresh and rid itself of this kind of stupidity.

• Advertisement

KKkitty wrote: »
    Usain Bolt should come on the Ellen show and give her a piggyback around the stage and backstage area.

I see that he had already retweeted the picture himself before the 'controversy' took off, but apparently some granola encrusted Berkley student knows better then him what constitutes offence and is offended on his behalf.

valoren wrote: »

Cue bedlam.

The problem is that this madness is coming form opinion shapers and political leaders, when it was just the the student's union gob****es you kind of just laughed it off, but now those same eejits have real power and it's clear that public policy is being shaped by the kind of numpties that should never have been allowed within an asses roar of the positions they currently hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's clear that Ellen is the greatest monster of the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It's clear that Ellen is the greatest monster of the 21st century.

But she has such beautiful eyes.*

*much respect for anybody who gets that reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Weren't the crystalites on her show one time trying to ply her with whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

These people who are so utterly obsessed with race, who bring race into everything, who place so much emphasis on the race of people that it makes them bring it up in literally every joke/scenario/article/incident are the racist ones. If you really wanted equality, then you would care less about racial differences between people, and see this as the harmless joke it was.

In fact accusations of racism in a situation such as this, where there is no offence intended or other wise, just serves to create unnecessary tensions between people and fuel more discrimination and hatred between groups.

Advertisement