Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're a racist now Ellen?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And then when people pointed out there was no racism intended, someone responded that they knew there was no racism intended but it was still racist, and it doesn't have to be intended. :confused:
    And that's where this becomes a farce. You can completely be racist without intending to be, it happens all the time... it's usually most easily spotted in generational shifts, etc. But this isn't at all that.

Even if Usain Bolt were very vocal about black oppression and such, I am guessing they would have decided against the image - and I could see why. But Usain Bolt is about one of the most smiliest, happiest, easy going athletes in the entire world (and he's been in the spotlight for 8 years, so it does seem very much genuine by now). I don't follow sprinting at all, but don't recall his skin colour ever really even coming up, it's not as if she photoshopped herself onto Jesse Owens or anything.

Just remarkably stupid carry on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Here apparently... even for the perpetually outraged, this is one hell of a stretch to make....

There is no stretch that can't be made by the perpetually outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

These types of accusations make the term Racism meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jesus wept, some folk have nothing better to do.
    I also made the mistake of reading through the profiles of some of those that were complaining about it.

They'd make you despair for humanity at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

Ah now here, get away its clearly not racist...

Oh, hang on, woman using and effectively objectifying a man as a beast of burden.....

SEXISM!!!!

You monster Ellen!!!

Why, why, why......

(Thank God hes not white or it would loose its outrage power)

Grumble, grumble, down with this sort of thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Look at the profiles of the people whipping up the outrage against her.

Bunch of race baiters and agitators. She shouldn't even acknowledge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There are so many people who say and do racist things that are not racist .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I don't understand the outrage.

I've seen multiple instructional videos with black men on white women and I don't hear any outrage about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

“If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?”

Kelly Osbourne
    Second she said it she realized .

Not racist either .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wait, is she is trying to suggest that white people could never travel that fast by foot unless they jumped on a black person??

How fcuking racist can you get.

#WhiteAthletesMatter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

“If you kick every Latino out of this country, then who is going to be cleaning your toilet, Donald Trump?”
    Snort :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ellen is a prominent lesbian so she can't possibly be racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I tend to think of myself on the 'Liberal SJW' spectrum, but I'm struggling to see the racism there, more just people looking for things to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think Ellen really should have had a suitable response to all this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am offended that you are offended that other people are offended.

Hi my name is John and I am your 21st century man.

I'm not offended. I think it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There are people who spend hours on the internet, browsing, looking, commenting, Just waiting for the opportunity to be offended and launch verbal diarrhoea at why they are upset.

But wait, isn't that what boards is all about too? The discourse of choice around here is being offended about people being offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

Letree wrote: »
    Bolt could really hit the outrage merchants in the teeth if he came out and said its not racist at all.

He retweeted it so I'm guessing he's OK with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

He's running in a race...that makes it racist

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We could bring back duelling.

There'd be a lot less offended people.

• Advertisement

We could bring back duelling.

There'd be a lot less offended people.

Or an awful lot of duels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not a fan of Ellen, but how on earth is this racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

I'm pretty sure basically no-one was offended by this.

Don't people realise that media will pick up on literally anything that will get them clicks from people outraged/offended at people supposedly being outraged/offended?

The most continually outraged/offended people now are those who spend their time being outraged/offended at those that many media outlets tell them are outraged/offended.

This can come from one person complaining/tweeting which can be used and turned into 'everyone is outraged about...whatever' or in many cases is just made up because no-one was actually outraged at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I don't understand what the problem is.

And I'm normally offended by all sorts of stupid crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

What's faster than a black guy running with a TV?

His brother with the DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is the most outrageous load of rubbish I've ever heard of. Ellen DeGeneres being racist? What a complete load of scutter.

I think those outraged need to have a complete at themselves in the mirror & ask themselves if what they are doing is the right thing; the rest of society, along with Ellen & Usain, will have a completely different answer to then those offended types are thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

You could argue that putting a interpretation of racism on something that most definitely isn't is basically a bit racist.

Ellen strikes me as someone who's *extremely* unlikely to be racist and just sees him as an impressive athelete she's having fun with!

If we're going to start analysing everything to death to parse it for obscure interpretations of racism it starts to become a little farcicle.

Maybe it's better to actually focus on real racism: there's plenty of it! Trying to pillary a very liberal, open minded celebrity based on a weird interpretation of something is... a bit racist as you're obsessing about racial differences the person in question most likely didn't even see!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

YFlyer wrote: »
    Just going to go on Facebook now to call these people dopes.

Update. Too many dopes so I gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

OMG!!! This is so racist, or maybe it's sexist, or sectarian,or xenophobic, or genderist, or homophobic...or it's just funny and the hairy arsed PC brigade should go out and get a life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

'You're a white male'

Advertisement