Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're a racist now Ellen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Too many people with little to be bothering them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

People would want to cop on to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Please..........the worlds gone bananas.

.... Shyte ..... I didn't mean that to refere to monkeys ......

Oh god I've done it now ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

There are people who spend hours on the internet, browsing, looking, commenting, Just waiting for the opportunity to be offended and launch verbal diarrhoea at why they are upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Just going to go on Facebook now to call these people dopes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Originally Posted by time.com
    The tweet prompted immediate backlash from many fucking morons who said the image was racist for showing a white woman riding on the back of a black man.
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They'd probably be the same ones complaining if he was riding her.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What a load of bollecks. White woman and black man having a bit of craic, sick minded people imbue it with nasty meaning.

Didnt look at it properly, ok its obviously not real but..the meaning is clear and a harmless joke..nothing to do with his blackness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

When a respectable news source like Time use tweets like this as a source of said 'offense'.. then I begin to despair.

https://twitter.com/JazzleDazzler/status/765334023262515200

This is the difference between 'PC gone mad rabble rabble' and people who just don't have anything better to do than find sh*t to get annoyed by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Something kinda mean-spirited about making such downright defamatory remarks about a woman (this could lead to damaging her reputation/career) whom they KNOW is not racist (if anything she has expressed her solidarity with people who feel marginalised, having been there herself) and did not intend anything racially derogatory by that image.

It is also the people pretending it's racism who are the ones focusing on colour, when the joke just refers to how fast a sprinter he is.

I don't know whether it's the case but it genuinely would not surprise me if there were more white people than black people "offended" by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Journalism today.

Find a tweet.
    Search through replies for anything negative or abusive.
    Dust off the x caused outrage template.
    Back to Pokemon go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You know who I reckon is one of the LEAST offended people on either side in all of this?

Usain Bolt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Oh, FFS. Stop giving these eejits publicity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Yet another nothing story. People going well out of their way to be offended over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I hope Ellen doesn't let the whingers win by apologising.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You know who I reckon is one of the LEAST offended people on either side in all of this?

Usain Bolt.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People are now at the stage where they're looking to be offended by people who claim they're offended. Trawling through twitter for edge case, fringe lunatics who should be ignored by are instead given a platform to allow everyone to get angry at them being angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Where is the racism? It's Ellen getting a piggy back from the fastest man on the planet.

Again....Where's the racism?

Ellen is one of the coolest women alive. I know it's extremely unfashionable to find her funny, but she cracks me up! I doubt she has a malicious bone in her body.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Letree wrote: »
    I hope Ellen doesn't let the whingers win by apologising.

No apology given. Good

https://twitter.com/TheEllenShow/status/765576291160580096

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Crazy business. It says more about the people who see offence than anything. Its a joke about the fastest sprinter in the world. If those people would would exclude a black fella from the joke because he's black, then they are racist whether they know it or not.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Oh, FFS. Stop giving these eejits publicity.

That's the key, but people love to be outraged at the outrage! :)

If we didn't give this stuff attention, the attention-seekers would shut the flup up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

stunmer wrote: »

Not at all a fan of hers in terms of an 'entertainer', but there are few who know how to handle themselves and thread the line as well as she does. Good on her for not 'apologising' and if it escalates, hopefully Bolt tells the people so desperate to be offended on his behalf exactly where to go.

Ellen is one of the coolest women alive. I know it's extremely unfashionable to find her funny, but she cracks me up! I doubt she has a malicious bone in her body.

She does come across as a decent sort. I think they picked the wrong target to slur here too, she's not the type to just take it and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mfceiling wrote: »
    Where is the racism? It's Ellen getting a piggy back from the fastest man on the planet.

Again....Where's the racism?

Here apparently... even for the perpetually outraged, this is one hell of a stretch to make....
    777-9311 ‏@MiQL 21h21 hours ago

@TheEllenShow @usainbolt So riding on his back like a mule, a horse as some form of property is fun to you...
    Ok.
    19 retweets 43 likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

And then when people pointed out there was no racism intended, someone responded that they knew there was no racism intended but it was still racist, and it doesn't have to be intended. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Bolt could really hit the outrage merchants in the teeth if he came out and said its not racist at all.

Letree wrote: »
    Bolt could really hit the outrage merchants in the teeth if he came out and said its not racist at all.

They would say it's institutional racism or something. That he doesn't understand it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

20Cent wrote: »
    Journalism today.

Find a tweet.
    Search through replies for anything negative or abusive.
    Dust off the x caused outrage template.
    Back to Pokemon go.

So, how long have you been the owner of Joe.ie then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

would they ever pish off is anything not racist now jesus christ

Advertisement