Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby on Board Badge.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

They've now got cancer patient versions. Can't say I'd like to draw attention to myself like that but I can see the need when a young cancer patient might be considered as looking healthy, especially as not all chemos cause hair loss.

I'm a young cancer patient and I get funny looks taking the priority seating. Kinda difficult to prove when I have all my hair and look healthy. But my ribs and spine are weakened by cancer eating into them and I get mighty sore and tired standing. There are probably 70 somethings with better bones than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

With rising obesity levels, sometimes it's not easy to tell if a woman is pregnant.

It is do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Pretty disgusted by some of the comments on here - does the woman have to be throwing up to prove her morning sickness to prove they really need it?

If someone asks for a seat it is not a pleasure, its quite embarrassing to ask for a seat, be you pregnant, disabled/chronically ill or maybe just very faint.
    You always feel judged.
    I have a hidden illness but have been unable to get a seat very often.
    I don't expect anyone to stand up and let me, but I am often told I am lying - I also would ask a group of people together so not singling out anyone but they say there is nothing wrong with me as I am "young and healthy".

At the end of the day it is down to the people sitting to "judge" if someone is worthy enough of their seat but I would like to hope people would be more kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Is transpregnant a thing, I wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

This thread is making it sound like there's an undisclosed horde of women stalking the subway pretending to be pregnant in return for seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Samaris wrote: »
    This thread is making it sound like there's an undisclosed horde of women stalking the subway pretending to be pregnant in return for seats.

Lets not rule anything out or in . It's very common at US airports to pretend to be disabled for priority boarding. https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj2s9jGuMHOAhXLCMAKHZUyBA0QFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmadamenoire.com%2F619477%2Ftravel-upgrade%2F&usg=AFQjCNFeay43M_s2xJj_t7sMOtESnlk1oA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

I think we just have more proof of the selfish ness of people in general really,whining over offering a pregnant woman a seat. In the grand scheme of things would it really impact your life that much,sometimes it's nice to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Anything is better than a "little princess on board" sticker.

"Glasgow Celtic Baby on Board" isn't too far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Advertisement

...No, srsly, can we rule out that there is a horde of non-pregnant women infiltrating the London Tube to sneak seats from honest, law-abiding, non-pregnant people.

Because that's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No. Special carriages for people who like to say "I know it's not politically correct, but . . . " and "it's health and safety gone mad, I tell you!". So that they don't bore the arse off the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

'Its your choice to be pregnant' was a quote attributed to a typical vagina-hating man.
    That raises some interesting arguments though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If a woman is heavily pregnant (ie there's no mistaking it) I'll give my seat. I'll give my seat to anyone that looks like they need it more than me. Someone with crutches, someone older, someone that looks like they're in pain.
    Though sometimes I'm in pain/not well too and when that's the case, I offer my seat to nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd alway offer my seat anytime to a visibly pregnant woman or anybody else that needs it.

Not sure though about giving one to a woman in early pregnancy on the basis of a unsubstantiated claim of morning sickness or whatever.
    Lol.
    "Prove to me that you need my seat". A woman in early pregnancy is usually going through a pretty horrible time, there's no need for her to "substantiate" it. If she's feeling OK, she's not going to announce to the whole world that she's a few weeks pregnant just so she can get a seat.

In all honesty if someone stood beside me and said, "I'm not feeling well, may I have your seat", I'll just give them the bloody seat. It's only a seat. The odds of someone using it as a ploy to get a seat are minimal, so the odds are good that they actually need my seat.

Plus, if I ever found myself in their shoes, the last thing I'd want to encounter is some selfish prick looking me up and down and saying, "You look fine to me, what's wrong with you?".

If they were lying to get your seat, the only person who comes out bad from the encounter is them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

seamus wrote: »
    Lol.
    "Prove to me that you need my seat". A woman in early pregnancy is usually going through a pretty horrible time, there's no need for her to "substantiate" it. If she's feeling OK, she's not going to announce to the whole world that she's a few weeks pregnant just so she can get a seat.

In all honesty if someone stood beside me and said, "I'm not feeling well, may I have your seat", I'll just give them the bloody seat. It's only a seat. The odds of someone using it as a ploy to get a seat are minimal, so the odds are good that they actually need my seat.

Plus, if I ever found myself in their shoes, the last thing I'd want to encounter is some selfish prick looking me up and down and saying, "You look fine to me, what's wrong with you?".

If they were lying to get your seat, the only person who comes out bad from the encounter is them.

To be fair, if somebody outright asked for my seat and said they were feeling really unwell, I'd hardly get into an argument about it and would just give it.

As stated, I just wouldn't offer it (on the basis of a badge or because of a general claim of early pregnancy) unless they were visibly elderly, heavily pregnant and so on.

Samaris wrote:
    Obviously pregnancy only happens to females (bar in a couple of very unusual cases!).

??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

??

Juniour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

seamus wrote: »
    Lol.

Can't they just get a Taxi?

If they can afford to have a baby they can afford to get a Taxi.

:)

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No. Special carriages for people who like to say "I know it's not politically correct, but . . . " and "it's health and safety gone mad, I tell you!". So that they don't bore the arse off the rest of us.

Heh, I was saying that too and getting mild amusement from the follow-ups about the snowflake carriage and mentally applying them to the whiners. Just not the whiners they were probably aiming for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

FFS, some of the comments on here.
    Why are boardsies so worried about "overly PC" crap.

It's a common courtesy to give up seats to people who are in more need, either through age, injury or other conditions including pregnancy.
    As a man living in London, the badges in question are very helpful for identifying the latter.

You often get cases where in a full train, you cannot see a woman's stomach, a badge up near the face helps. You also get to avoid the very uncomfortable, "Is she pregnant or not" dilemma that is an important difference between being a jerk for not giving up a seat to someone who needs it or insulting a woman out of the blue...

And for those saying "it was her decision, why should I.." etc.
    Either you will have kids of your own one day, and you'll want people to treat your missus with this level of courtesy as her body is morphed into an incubation chamber, or you'll be relying on that women's baby to pay for your pension, so suck it up and stand for a little while.

BTW, i wouldn't really see the need in Dublin for them.
    Transportation is all short journeys without the overcrowding and heat from the tube you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S/b "Baby in Vaj" badge, no?

ps I know it should be Utero.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I doubt the people who currently refuse my 6 month pregnant wife on crutches a seat, would be convinced to move by the presence of a badge.
    Although badges sound pretty ridiculous, people on public transport really are that **** in a lot of cases; maybe it would make the difference in some scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

orubiru wrote: »

Wow.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Jesus H Christ..

Some people are hopeless when it comes to common courtesy.

So they come up with excuses like "you should have kept your legs shut" (article), or "if you can afford a baby, you can afford a taxi".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Jesus Christ some of the replies here are unreal.

1) The badge is a way of signalling to people you might need a bit of help with a seat. That's it. It isn't a demand for "special treatment" and there's no compulsion on anyone to give up their seat. Despite the catterwalling on the subject, women in London don't march onto Tubes and demand seats off others. I've never once seen that happen in ten odd years.

2) If you're an able bodied male and you refuse to offer a seat to someone in a delicate condition because you're in a huff over a badge or whatever you deserve a kick in the face for being a f*cking d*ckhead.

Samaris wrote: »
    Some people are hopeless when it comes to common courtesy.

So they come up with excuses like "you should have kept your legs shut" (article), or "if you can afford a baby, you can afford a taxi".

Hahahaha. It was a joke.

Jeez, I thought putting a smiley face in there :) would have been enough to signify "I'm just joking here lads".

So, why don't you dry your angry tears and get over it.

CLEARLY anyone who point blank refuses to offer a seat to those in need is being a bit inconsiderate.

FFS.

OK. Let's try again. If you're an able bodied male and you refuse to offer a seat to someone in a delicate condition because you're in a huff over a badge or whatever you deserve a blah blah blah blah.

Can I have my cookie now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Can I have my cookie now please?

Do people need rewarded for just having basic decency.

• Advertisement

failinis wrote: »
    Do people need rewarded for just having basic decency.

No.

Advertisement