Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby on Board Badge.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Be Sharps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

kneemos wrote: »

Wah wah wah. Treat me differently the way I want to be treated, but treat me equally every other way or I'll sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

No problem giving a pregnant woman my seat or anyone that looks uncomfortable or sickly to be honest..man woman or child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Something something Burt Ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Isn't it fairly obvious when a woman is pregnant?

Makes the badge a bit pointless unless we've gotten to the stage where there are that many fats walking around that it's hard to tell the difference any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

What the holy hell???? Any woman could wear a badge like this in order to get a seat.
    In the early stages of pregnancy it's mainly tiredness and nausea that gets you but you just have to get on with it.
    It's in the late stages when you're carrying the extra weight and constantly have a pain in your back and your undercarriage that you need a seat and a person would want to be a right dickhead not to give a seat to a heavily pregnant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anything is better than a "little princess on board" sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

lawlolawl wrote: »

Makes the badge a bit pointless unless we've gotten to the stage where there are that many fats walking around that it's hard to tell the difference any more.

If you had read the article you would know that the whole point is that it absolutely is not possible to always tell when a woman is pregnant.

However it is probably not a realistic campaign as shown by the replies to this thread so far, and the fact that there will be some women who would demand 'I am pregnant, give me your seat' even if the pregnancy was causing them no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Crea wrote: »
    ... constantly have a pain in your... your undercarriage

Ugh.

Womens bodies are gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No problem giving a pregnant woman my seat or anyone that looks uncomfortable or sickly to be honest..man woman or child.

I rarely ever use public transport (country living)

But always taught this was a good thing about public transport tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Some bitterness in here.

Ignoring that the OP seems to have no idea of what the baby on board badge actually means, okay, some people don't understand pregnancy (or possibly dislocated ankles, I dunno, but one can only go so much back to basics for an internet topic and I don't feel like explaining the birds and the bees)..

Wah wah wah. Treat me differently the way I want to be treated, but treat me equally every other way or I'll sue.

Eh, no, she's pregnant, it's not a case of being female. Obviously pregnancy only happens to females (bar in a couple of very unusual cases!), but that's a bit like saying "wah wah ovarian cancer funding, treat me differently the way I want to be treated by investigating female-specific medical issues, but treat me equally every other way or I'll sue".

Oh the humanity! What is the world coming to when people wish to be treated as equal while acknowledging certain medical issues that apply to them that don't necessarily apply to other groups.

Please do be aware if you ever get pregnant, that the big bump doesn't appear right away. There's a period where your insides are gradually adjusting around a slowly growing entity inside you. This can result in dizzyness, nausea, violent vomiting, sweats and other unpleasant symptoms. It is generally fairly easy to tell the difference between overweight and pregnant, although there is a period where the two can be conflated.

What the holy hell???? Any woman could wear a badge like this in order to get a seat.
    In the early stages of pregnancy it's mainly tiredness and nausea that gets you but you just have to get on with it.
    It's in the late stages when you're carrying the extra weight and constantly have a pain in your back and your undercarriage that you need a seat and a person would want to be a right dickhead not to give a seat to a heavily pregnant woman.

Least we agree on the latter. But honestly, "what the holy hell???? Any woman could shove a pillow up her jumper and pretend to be pregnant for these very minor shows of consideration for someone in a more physically challenging situation!"

Yeah, you do just have to get on with it, and personally, I probably wouldn't wear the badge myself as I don't like being picked out like that. The badge does not demand special rights, it merely shows that this person has a more challenging physical situation than might be expected from looking at them, and any consideration towards seating is appreciated. There is no legal ramifications from it.

Seriously, I don't get the sheer ignorance/dislike on the topic. Sure, I find them a bit twee, but if they serve a purpose, then let them at it. You are all still perfectly entitled to ignore the badges or tell the woman she should have kept her legs closed (going by the article itself there). Still is pretty assholish, but there's no law preventing one from being a dick. Look at it this way, it gives you a specific target to be a dick at. Isn't that nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Whenever I see those Baby on Board stickers on cars,I make a special effort not to crash into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

If red ken was still in power in London there would probably be segregated seating on public transport by now for fear somebody may get offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If red ken was still in power in London there would probably be segregated seating on public transport by now for fear somebody may get offended.

Special snowflakes carriages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sounds like a good idea. The people offended at pregnant women wearing freaking badges can ride in the special snowflake compartment and normal society can use the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Special snowflakes carriages?

With free Wi-Fi and a selfie capsule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

With free Wi-Fi and a selfie capsule.

They should all be wearing VR headsets so they only see what they want to see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I met many dickheads when I was preggers so! Very obviously pregnant late stage, left standing lots of days. Everyone pretends they can't notice and keeps looking at their phones. One day o asked a young guy could I have his seat as I was getting squashed and bashed, he got up grudgingly but I was going to pass out. I would always get up for an elderly, disabled, pregnant person but not everyone is reared with manners. Thankfully driving this time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The whole point of the article is that often you suffer from nausea, sickness and fainting before you start to show...

I would give up my seat for anyone who says they are not feeling well. The badge is kind of pointless though, because the type of person who would refuse in such situation won't be swayed by a badge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's London, where getting from a to b is quite stressful and people are hard and aren't really interested in other people's problems.

I'd have no problem giving up a seat to anyone who needs it but there is something irksome about wearing a special badge, just ask for a seat if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I blurted out congratulations to a rather rotund lady yesterday... those few nano-seconds of terror before the response, seem to last forever. And then, "Thanks, just two months to go!"

Phew! :pac:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Anything is better than a "little princess on board" sticker.

My cousin stuck one of these on the back bumper of my car, name personalised and all, before he gave it back to me after I loaned it to him.

It was there days before I saw it putting groceries in the trunk. Nearly fainted with annoyance. By this time the cousin was 100's of miles away. He still thinks it's hilarious.

Took me ages to get the damn thing off too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

With rising obesity levels, sometimes it's not easy to tell if a woman is pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I see a marketing opportunity here

"Baby on boards.ie"

Mods/Admins, I want my cut!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

These badges have been around for over a decade in London. Way to be up to date OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

How dare you associate pregnancy with being sickly. Being pregnant is a natural and most wonderful thing. The sexism women have to put up with today is just outrageous. People dont even realise what they are saying, but deep seated associations, even if subconscious, like this just show the bias against pregnant women that exists today.
    Appalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

mhge wrote: »
    The whole point of the article is that often you suffer from nausea, sickness and fainting before you start to show...

I would give up my seat for anyone who says they are not feeling well. The badge is kind of pointless though, because the type of person who would refuse in such situation won't be swayed by a badge either.

Personally I think they are a good idea, its not just about giving up seats, with most lines of the tube being so ridiculously packed in the mornings the stickers let you know you should give someone extra space and time rather than engaging in the standard sociopathic behavior commuting forces you into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'd alway offer my seat anytime to a visibly pregnant woman or anybody else that needs it.

Not sure though about giving one to a woman in early pregnancy on the basis of a unsubstantiated claim of morning sickness or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Samaris wrote: »
    Eh, no, she's pregnant, it's not a case of being female. Obviously pregnancy only happens to females (bar in a couple of very unusual cases!), but that's a bit like saying "wah wah ovarian cancer funding, treat me differently the way I want to be treated by investigating female-specific medical issues, but treat me equally every other way or I'll sue".

Oh the humanity! What is the world coming to when people wish to be treated as equal while acknowledging certain medical issues that apply to them that don't necessarily apply to other group.

TL:DR: Wah Wah Wah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

TL:DR: Wah Wah Wah
    Think they just meant needing a seat if due to discomfort caused by pregnancy is not the same as looking for special treatment just because of being female.

Advertisement