Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Piracy survey

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have never pirated a game but im tempted to do so with no mans sky as its broken as hell i have read

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kiith wrote: »
    The only games i've pirated in the last few years are games that are not available on any online stores.

Back in college, I used to pirate all the time. I'd like to say that it was simply because i was a broke college student, but even if i had extra money, i probably wouldn't have bought them. Nowadays, Steam and other online distribution sites have made things so simple that i've no need to pirate anything.

Spotify is the perfect example of how a good service, at a low price, can stop piracy. I've never bought an album and used to pirate all my music. But i've not pirated any music in years now, since Spotify came along.
    what games are not available in online stores? what am i missing here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd never pirate a survey. Just to let everyone know. I support the survey creators.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thankfully I've no financial need to pirate and I really enjoy the hunt for a bargain.

With AAA titles going for sub €30 quid on the week of release it's hard for the average gamer to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have never pirated a game but im tempted to do so with no mans sky as its broken as hell i have read

Or.
    OR.

Don't play the game & play something else.

Ya scummer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kind of makes sense.

As I said before, I was born in Lithuania
    Labas, kaip sekasi?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Steam pretty much killed my desire to pirate anything. Gabe Newell has said it before, piracy tends to die out when you offer a great service in a convenient way. That's why digital downloading killed DVD as a medium so much, and I will bet Netflix staved off a lot of that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I used to pirate all my games a few years back, Generally they were old games that could not be bought at the time as I was using a laptop.

I built my 1st PC almost a year ago and the 1st day it was built I Dloaded a pirated version of GTA 5 and Farm Simulator. I actually deleted both games before I installed them and decided I would buy them. I could justify pirating a few years back when it was old games and I was broke in college, It doesnt mean it was right it was just my way of justifying it. Now im financially comfortable and it just doesnt seem right with the price of PC games and steam.
    J_E wrote: »
    . Gabe Newell has said it before, piracy tends to die out when you offer a great service in a convenient way. That's why digital downloading killed DVD as a medium so much, and I will bet Netflix staved off a lot of that..

I agree 100% we started using Netflix a few months back and I dont think I have pirated any movies since, The recommendations based on my viewing activity is spot on and I have managed to watch some great movies I normally would not have ever watched,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Many free PC games exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

764dak wrote: »
    Many free PC games exist.

True but doesnt really have anything to do with a discussion on piracy

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    True but doesnt really have anything to do with a discussion on piracy

Well, if there are enough free games it might reduce piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

But pirated games are free? :confused:

But pirated games are free? :confused:
    I mean free games on Steam, Windows Store, browser, etc.

Do you mean entirely free with no micro transactions and pay to win? Or "Freemium" with all the previous extra costs but no intial purchase fee?

Cus The former cannot possibly compete with a game that costs a full purchase price upfront or one that is based on a freemium model. Also I would argue if freemium games were any good then people wouldn't be pirating and the traditional games market would be dying and neither of those are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I used to pirate PC games, but then steam arrived and like Spotify for music, I just stopped and was happy paying.

My Dad still pirates games like mad, granted he doesn't play multiplayer games, he's always telling me some cracked game he got thats brilliant :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    I used to pirate PC games, but then steam arrived and like Spotify for music, I just stopped and was happy paying.

My Dad still pirates games like mad, granted he doesn't play multiplayer games, he's always telling me some cracked game he got thats brilliant :D

Exactly this, sometimes i used to pirate a game to test it and see if I think its worth buying and if it wasn't then I also wasn't gonna keep playing a bad game just cus it was free, but now with steams refund policy there is even less of a need to do this.

Advertisement