Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like with just Irish People in it?

Options

Comments

It would be like an episode of Father Ted.
    True story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Used to live in the US. The level of ignorance (about everything non American, not just Ireland) there is pretty staggering, even among fairly well educated people. We are so up our own holes sometimes, that we think that just because the Yanks dye their rivers green on Paddys Day, they are as educated and informed about our country and culture, as we are about theirs.

I was in a setting with a lot of other Europeans recently who had great knolwedge of Ireland, songs, actors, accent, loved the place. The problem, had to explain that Brexit had no direct impact on us as we aren't British. One guy even said I bet you guys make a lot of fun of Germany because YOU beat them in WW2. I explained to him that in Ireland, the outlook on Germany would not be as negative as it might be elsewhere because of the adage the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I don't know if this is true or not, maybe the outlook on Hitler and Germany was extremely negative in Ireland back then, but I think it explained the relationship we have with the UK.

Its so funny though, I have a south Dublin accent but when they mimic our accents, it sounds like those ****ty American ones. Reminds me the Dave McSavage sketch with the Trinity graduate and the lad from Kerry.

We probably should decide what the topic is actually suggesting... does it mean absolutely no foreign influence in Ireland (which is what I thought it meant) or simply their physical presence (foreign people) here?

I'm getting a feeling theres a crossing of wires on this. ;)

The second question isn't that interesting because a lot of people would know the feeling at least compared to other countries in Europe . Ireland is probably one of the last homogenous places left in north west europe(or was)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Why is there so many far-right threads on boards? Its like reading a stormfront forum these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why is there so many far-right threads on boards? Its like reading a stormfront forum these days

General dumbing-down of society.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

what is an Irish person anyway? My roots are originally French, but 850 years ago.

what is an Irish person anyway? My roots are originally French, but 850 years ago.

Irish is actually one of the more clearer European nationalities due to it's isolation. The majority of the population is descended from the original settlers, I think its 80 per cent. The rest are a combination of English/French/Scandanavian, not exactly a 'melting pot'. Its quite cool in a way, our relative isolation allows us to really have a sense of national identity in a way that I'd imagine someone from the heart of mainland Europe wouldn't be able to relate to,at least not to the same extent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 SeantoBarry

Do you have your family history documented back that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    having grown up in insular backward 80's ireland

i think its great that there's people from other countries living here

its about time irish people discovered that there's more than just white & catholic people in the world
    wakka12 wrote: »
    [/B]
    Have you ever heard an Irish person say that there was only white and catholic people in the world?

well not say it as such...but back in those days, that was the mentality

• Advertisement

General dumbing-down of society.

Yup... feeling the need to assign everything a classification. Everything seems to be far-right or far-left nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

It wouldn't be all that diffently in reality, most of the people in positions of power either in politics or business with the ability to bring about change are "natives", whatever they are.
    Also lot of the newer immigrants in some ways are more traditional than the majority of the more established population, particularly noticeable with the last reforindum.

This threads seem to end at the extremes, yes Ireland was a not perfect place since independence. But give the place some credit, we do have a history of solidarity with people around the world, eg apartheid protests in the 80's, a period almost described on this thread as some sort of dark age inhabited by troglodytes.

BabyE wrote: »
    Irish is actually one of the more clearer European nationalities due to it's isolation. The majority of the population is descended from the original settlers, I think its 80 per cent. The rest are a combination of English/French/Scandanavian, not exactly a 'melting pot'. Its quite cool in a way, our relative isolation allows us to really have a sense of national identity in a way that I'd imagine someone from the heart of mainland Europe wouldn't be able to relate to,at least not to the same extent.

I'm watching 'Creedons Epic East' there now and he had a DNA test conducted. He's 96% native Irish/British. The geneticist said that a lot of Irish people like to claim to be of another background but the vast majority of us are just Irish Irish. His words. Interesting stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'm watching 'Creedons Epic East' there now and he had a DNA test conducted. He's 96% native Irish/British. The geneticist said that a lot of Irish people like to claim to be of another background but the vast majority of us are just Irish Irish. His words. Interesting stuff though.

Whatever about Johnn Creedin's 96% British-Irish DNA, he also had a small Iberian marker plus a touch of Viking DNA, and I guess that same theme runs through many Irish people's veins . He also had slightly above average Neanderthal DNA :))

I'm seriously thinking of spending the €175 on getting my own DNA tested so that I can verify if indeed we are descended from Huguenots and/or the Anglo Saxons/Gaels or whatever?

I always assumed because of my complexion and my dad that we MUST have some Med blood, but then I heard that the reason for random Irish people being darker than the norm comes from the natives who would have been a lot darker than the majority of the population are now. I'm not so sure how true that is, or even where I read that, might have just been a theory, rather than anything concrete.

At 96% British/Irish he can claim to the native to these islands. The vast majority of us would have similar results. Even if you had a great great great non Irish grandparent, that would only make up 3.125% of your DNA. Go further back and they'll barely make up a percentage point.

You'll have similar results to Creedons.

And if you have the spare €175 hanging about I'd recommend spending it on investigating your family tree instead undergoing a DNA test. You're ××% Irish/British/Klingon. Doesn't really matter a hoot and tell you much at all. Much more interesting learning about your ancestors history. The people themselves instead of a cluster of cells.

IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh thats true. Iceland was one of the most homogenous nations on earth , the population all looked distinctly similar to one another even, up until relatively recently that is! Obviously due to it being much more isolated than ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I always assumed because of my complexion and my dad that we MUST have some Med blood, but then I heard that the reason for random Irish people being darker than the norm comes from the natives who would have been a lot darker than the majority of the population are now. I'm not so sure how true that is, or even where I read that, might have just been a theory, rather than anything concrete.

Mediterrean people are not very dark, hardly noticeably darker than average here. And if this med ancestor was any more than two generations past (as in, theyre not in your extended fam) then their DNA's effect on your skin tone would be negligible

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

crime constantly

• Advertisement

And if you have the spare €175 hanging about I'd recommend spending it on investigating your family tree instead undergoing a DNA test. You're ××% Irish/British/Klingon. Doesn't really matter a hoot and tell you much at all. Much more interesting learning about your ancestors history. The people themselves instead of a cluster of cells.

IMHO.

So is there a service/company in Ireland that does that for you?

The DNA test is a postal service where by they send you a swab stick and a test tube for you to return with a sample of your saliva enclosed, then Bob's your uncle & Fanny's your aunt, you get a picture of your genetic make up.......

But how would the Family tree service work?

IMHO.

Both are interesting, but personally in a country like Ireland it just be cooler to find out you had some exotic far flung blood a few generations back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭LeBash

Girls would think it's still sexy to wear O'Neils tracksuits to nightclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Care to point them all out?
    I wouldn't consider this a far-right thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

IMHO.

I got mine done last year, it was a health and ancestry DNA test with 23andme.
    It puts British and Irish together.
    I am 100% European made up of the following:
    91.2% British and Irish.
    0.6% French and German
    0.2% Scandinavian
    7.6% broadly Northwestern European
    0.4% broadly Southern European
    <0.1% broadly European

I always felt European...

My father was done too.
    99% British and Irish
    0.9% broadly Northwestern European
    0.1% broadly European

I am trying to uncover my mother's ancestry at the moment as I don't have a lot of info on her side going back beyond the grandparents, but am making progress.

My father's side couldn't be more Irish, it seems all the interesting stuff lies on my mothers side - Vikings, probably Normans, southern European.

John Creedon said his family would talk about having Viking blood/ancestry, but he had no Scandinavian ancestry in his DNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

XplaygirlX wrote: »
    crime constantly
    On what basis? When Ireland was mostly just Irish people was there higher crime here or something? :confused:

Why does it group Ireland and England together? I'd assume Brits are more like French or other north western mainland Europeans than us.

On what basis? When Ireland was mostly just Irish people was there higher crime here or something? :confused:

stealing cattle, maybe?

Why does it group Ireland and England together? I'd assume Brits are more like French or other north western mainland Europeans than us.

It doesn't group England & Ireland, it groups 'British & Irish' together which means that your ancesters are from these islands, which might include Scots, Welsh, English, Manx, Cornish, Celts, Saxons, Norman or whatever DNA made up the majority of ancesters living and mixing in these islands . . .

Not sure if they can sub divide the DNA between these different groups though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dd972 wrote: »
    1991?

no, 1994 .....that was the year before the celtic tiger started

Advertisement