Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland be like with just Irish People in it?

Options
  • 12-08-2016 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭

Yes its another one of those Andy Controversial Threads again :) - First off I am not being racist and I hope the thread wont descend into a load of racist drivel. - as always if you hate any of my views or threads on Boards you are welcome to not feel you have to join in and answer and are welcome to go search hundreds of more posts on boards to reply to :)

had some idle time on my hands today and thought (as you do) I wonder what the world be like today if everyone who was born in their own country stayed in their own country and didnt/werent allowed to emigrate to another country, what kind of a world would it be like today? - would each country manage to survive with the citizens it had?

what for example would we do if a lot of our very well trained Doctors in hospitals, a lot of them who are of Indian/asian decent and a lot of Filipino Nurses would those vacancies be abled to be filled by Irish people?

What about other things like over population infrastructure and unemployment - would there be houses available for everyone to live in Ireland and would everyone have a job? - Could Ireland survive without foreigners and immigrants do you reckon with just the amount of Irish people who were born here or does Ireland need/rely on foreign people ?

Whats your view on it?

As I say its only up for discussion and to make you sit down and think on what (Ireland or any country come to think of it) would be like if years ago there was a strong policy of countries not allowing people to reside and work in other countries.

Comments

Pale,freckly and at high risk of skin cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Roughly 1985?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

had some idle time on my hands today

You seem to have a lot of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I'd say it would be a lot like....Leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Inbred

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

How far back do we have to go to get a pure Irish population? Well since St Patrick was probably Welsh he would never have come here so that's Catholicism out the window.

Then we need to take the Vikings, Norman's and English out. We would be been spared all that 800 years of oppression. But we would also lose the reason to hate England and enjoying when they fcuk up. Also without the Brits who would we have to blame for the way things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cosmo K wrote: »

Often driven through Leitrim, seems like a lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Roughly 1985?

No. There was a black guy here in 1985. I saw him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes its another one of those Andy Controversial Threads again - First off I am not being racist...

Phew. That's alright then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

A lot less controversial but much sexier

As a filthy emigrant to the UK, I don't like the OP's idea at all.

It would be less well travelled, have less new ideas, more rear of foreigners and their foreign ways. It would be a sh1thole. We criticise people and areas who don't tend to travel outside their place if birth as boring and insular. It sounds dreadful.

Patww79 wrote:

Not special as such. Just less ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

hairyslug wrote: »
    A lot less controversial but much sexier

I would have said the opposite to that.

Not special as such. Just less ignorant.

Ahahahaaahhaaaaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There wouldn't be an Ireland or an Irish people.

There would be an island with elks on it, but they wouldn't be called elks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I'd say we have just as many hostilities as we do we other races today. Instead of racism towards Chinese, Blacks & Indians which we don't have too much of we would have prejudice towards people of Cavan, Meath & Roscommon. Ireland had a clan culture during the Celtic period so in everyday life Irish people would be like what we see at the GAA.

SPT_20130909_Spo_024_28868870_I2.JPG
    inpho-00818555.jpg

tyrone

inpho_00167957-390x285.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7xrsi9MLvchJvDwA0HAtW4qExC9vcZzetJV5mec7nsQi4gtSp

So this would be Ireland all the time. Plenty of evidence at all the GAA matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Cosmo K wrote: »

Lovely Leitrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you know what this thread needs? Bigger hyperlinks.

Patww79 wrote: »

Can you get fat on bacon & Cabbage? .....

Can you get fat on bacon & Cabbage? .....

Good man Andy, keep her going.

Patww79 wrote:

OP, I've found you're answer, easily wound up and a bit more aggressive.

As a filthy emigrant to the UK, I don't like the OP's idea at all.

It would be less well travelled, have less new ideas, more rear of foreigners and their foreign ways. It would be a sh1thole. We criticise people and areas who don't tend to travel outside their place if birth as boring and insular. It sounds dreadful.

Think of the Tourism element though. Look at how quaint / quirky and laid back Ireland was in the 80's and early 90's though - be great to get back to that. Too much 'European' now, morphed into what a lot of other european cities and towns look like rather than what Ireland used to look and feel like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Ireland for the Irish. Racism has been around for a long time in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

"Andy wrote:
    k like rather than what Ireland used to look and feel like

A backwards shtehole??

One of best friends isn't even irish....and is alot sounder than most people I know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Think of the Tourism element though. Look at how quaint / quirky and laid back Ireland was in the 80's and early 90's though - be great to get back to that. Too much 'European' now, morphed into what a lot of other european cities and towns look like rather than what Ireland used to look and feel like
    Can you give some examples? Most of the towns I knew back in the 90s were dumps and are just as **** nowadays and could do with a lot more euorpeanising imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ireland for the Irish. Racism has been around for a long time in Ireland.

Brits out?

Advertisement