Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement rings

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

A friend of mine got engaged recently, apparently he spent eight grand on the ring! I didn't ask, he told us in the Whatsapp group. It's his money but personally I think that amount is ridiculous.

How much was spent on yours? They used to flog the whole "three months salary" guff (which was a great campaign) but curious to know what the going rate is now-a-days.

The entire concept of the diamond engagement ring is the best advertising campaign of the 20th century. What a load of superficial twaddle.
    My wife's cost me well over 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

smash wrote: »
    Diamonds are the biggest scam on the planet.

sure are, it costs 30c US a carrot to make them and artificial ones can be made far more perfect than nature but aren't allowed by used in the industry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

sure are, it costs 30c US a carrot to make them and artificial ones can be made far more perfect than nature but aren't allowed by used in the industry...

It's not about value it's about perception

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Tigger wrote: »
    It's not about value it's about perception

exactly why it's stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

i guess if it does last and she has it on her for her life she will get her moneys worth

but your right with kids, house deposits, the wedding, and everything else, everyone is living millionaire lifestyles without the means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Oxkb4e wrote: »
    Anyone ever use jewel star in temple bar. Would you recommend them for engagement rings?

You should probably check out the wedding forum. This is AH and a thread about engagement rings here is where people bitch about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

No chance and I'm pretty sure my other half would kill me if I spent anything like that on a ring even if it was for her.
    I'm considering the engagement over Xmas so engagement rings has been in my head obviously but I won't be spending anymore than a month's salary on it, much rather but the extra money into the actual wedding , or the house and kids and thing's we actually need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Diamonds are great cutting tools. Gold is a great conductor. Silver kills werewolves. I'd love nothing more than to say people who ware expensive jewellery are just stupid magpies because I don't see the value in it. Unfortunately I'd be a hypocrite. I've bought my GF jewellery because I had to get her a gift and she likes shiny ****. I've spend 70 euro's on a hat at a Christmas market as I liked the look and if I had more disposable income, I would have no issue paying 200 for that style of hat. Someone bedecked in jewellery could say I'm a stupid hipster for such an expenditure. Prospect of spending a grand on an engagement ring makes me nauseous. GF says she wouldn't like an expensive ring but women are tricksy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

fizzypish wrote: »
    GF says she wouldn't like an expensive ring but women are tricksy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I'm engaged and if he told me the ring cost 8k I'd box the head off him haha.. For 8k I'd want the ring, the honeymoon, and a wedding band at the very least!! (musical band not jewellery band!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement