Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement rings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Elliott S wrote: »
    Hypocritical post alert! After all my talk, today, my fiancé and I decided that I should get a ring, for a few reasons. And here it is! (cost ~€200)

https://s9.postimg.org/uxrqcg4en/Chupi_Web_Gold_Ring_Beauty_In_The_Wild_Emerald_Q.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous ring. Well wear:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I'm single but if there was ever a time in the future I met someone and we were go down this route I would never want someone to spend so much on a ring. I'd be happy with something fairly inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

My first one cost me £150 but she fecked off with her cousin.

Actually, that was the only one.

I've been 'engaged to be married' 19 years now and haven't bought her a ring. I'll wait until the oul doll dies and use that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Absolutely gorgeous ring. Well wear:)

Thanks! :) I love green AND Chupi, so it's very me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I asked my current wife of 30 years to marry me before I bought a ring. When (surprisingly) she accepted, we went shopping for the ring together. At the jewellers, my fiance zoned in on a tray of rings that were quite special. The salesman, to his eternal credit, said that that none of those rings were quite suitable for Madam's delicate fingers and he directed us to a more affordable selection.

Now I know some out there will think that he had no right to make a 'Pretty Woman' type comment about what we could afford, but in those days people cared less about what others thought and more about what was the right thing to do. Years later I went back to the same shop and dropped serious wedge on an eternity ring which, to this day, looks beautiful on Madam's delicate finger beside her engagement ring

I got the opposite when I went into a very well known Dublin jeweler. I had made an appointment, told them my budget and said what kind of stone she was after. They brought us a tray of rings with some of the rings nearly triple my budget. We were also told it's generally 3 months salary, albeit in a jokey way which was meant to be serious.
    I was fuming to say the least and walked out, we booked a flight to Antwerp that evening where they actually listen to you and if you're in the market for an overpriced piece of carbon, then you will get a lot more for your money there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

petrolcan wrote: »
    My first one cost me £150 but she fecked off with her cousin.

Lucky escape you had there!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

It's up to everyone what they do with their money but I personally would not want a ring costing that much. Too scared to lose it/damage it and probably wouldn't enjoy wearing it. I've seen some gorgeous looking ones in jewelry shops for 1000/ 2000 so would be more than happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I didn't buy an engagement ring for herself when I proposed, instead we went around jewellers later that day and I let her pick one out as I knew she'd pick a better design than whatever I'd take a guess on.

Luckily she's not really that kind of person into big expensive or ellaborate rings but she got a real nice one for about €150. She wears it with the wedding ring as they compliment each other perfectly so she had better foresight than I would have had I picked whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

I don't understand why people get so annoyed about engagement rings and talk incessantly about how they lose their value. Don't see half as much talk about the loss in value of cars for example which pretty much lose value the second you drive off in it.

Hopefully you won't be reselling your engagement ring..That's not really the thought process you have anyway when buying it! And honestly who cares what someone else spends on it? It's something a woman will wear on her hand hopefully forever...so the important thing is that she really loves it...and it doesn't cripple them buying it! If someone can afford 8k then off with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't think there's anything wrong with engagement rings but the obsession with diamonds and cost is weird.

I'm surprised no-one posted this

and whilst we're at it, this too.

There's plenty of beautiful rings that don't have a diamond in them, why not get them?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with engagement rings but the obsession with diamonds and cost is weird.

I'm surprised no-one posted this

and whilst we're at it, this too.

There's plenty of beautiful rings that don't have a diamond in them, why not get them?

Loads of people do. Others don't. What's the big deal? Why do you care?

jaja321 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people get so annoyed about engagement rings and talk incessantly about how they lose their value. Don't see half as much talk about the loss in value of cars for example which pretty much lose value the second you drive off in it.

Hopefully you won't be reselling your engagement ring..That's not really the thought process you have anyway when buying it! And honestly who cares what someone else spends on it? It's something a woman will wear on her hand hopefully forever...so the important thing is that she really loves it...and it doesn't cripple them buying it! If someone can afford 8k then off with them.

There is societal pressure to spend as much as you can, that's why they say two or three months wages. If you can afford 8k but spend €100 you're seen as cheap. And even if you're broke then if you buy a tiny ring people go "aww, but the thought counts". A traditional present giving is fine but it's a weird backward situation.
    Derrida said there's no such thing as a true gift. In giving a gift the other person feels an obligation to reciprocate. In this case however the obligation is on the giver. If they don't live up to it then the other person can feel undervalued. (I say can, not all people will).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is this some new breed of woman that will live forever?

Loads of people do. Others don't. What's the big deal? Why do you care?

Am I wrong to care about society or ponder why people act the way they do?

Grayson wrote: »
    Am I wrong to care about society or ponder why people act the way they do?

No...just a bit odd to focus on the jewellery people choose to wear. It's hardly one of the big issues we need to address in society!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

My gf wanted a ring with a jewel rather than a diamond. It was hard to find something like what she wanted. In the end I found one for under €200. Used it for proposal and told her we would replace it if she could find something she liked with a better quality. She said she was happy with the one I got because it was exactly the look she wanted. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

A car is actually useful for something whereas a piece of jewelry is useless.

lawlolawl wrote: »

A car to get you from a to b doesn't have to cost a fortune either but people still continue to 'invest' in more expensive options than they need..despite the fact that it loses value rapidly.
    Personal choice and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

lawlolawl wrote: »

Yes, but a luxury car is only marginally more useful (at best) than a standard car. The difference in price is not justified by an increase in usefulness.

My 16 year-old car gets me anywhere I need to go. If I was really into cars I might invest in a newer, fancier one, but I don't need to. It would be a luxury purchase for me - the same as an expensive piece of jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

maudgonner wrote: »
    Yes, but a luxury car is only marginally more useful (at best) than a standard car. The difference in price is not justified by an increase in usefulness.

My 16 year-old car gets me anywhere I need to go. If I was really into cars I might invest in a newer, fancier one, but I don't need to. It would be a luxury purchase for me - the same as an expensive piece of jewellery.
    The novelty of a new car wears off long before the repayments. I've never seen more new cars than this year and if you're a woman over 30 you can't be seen in anything less than a 161 oversized people carrier, suv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Speaking of engagement rings... What's the deal with letting a woman keep the ring if the relationship ends before marriage?

I know a guy who did that. Now to be fair on him he would be the first to admit how stupid he was now. But the cheek of her! In fact, the cheek of anyone who asks to keep it.
    Because there is only one thing you're gonna do with an ex's engagement ring and that's pawn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Speaking of engagement rings... What's the deal with letting a woman keep the ring if the relationship ends before marriage?

I know a guy who did that. Now to be fair on him he would be the first to admit how stupid he was now. But the cheek of her! In fact, the cheek of anyone who asks to keep it.
    Because there is only one thing you're gonna do with an ex's engagement ring and that's pawn it.

He's entitled to get it back. He can bring her to court if she refuses.

Citizens info link posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A car to get you from a to b doesn't have to cost a fortune either but people still continue to 'invest' in more expensive options than they need..despite the fact that it loses value rapidly.
    Personal choice and all that.
    But it's losing value for a reason, it's being worn away. Plus depending on the car it's going to go down to a minimal value and may start going up again if it's considered a desirable car.

Smondie wrote: »
    He's entitled to get it back. He can bring her to court if she refuses.

Citizens info link posted earlier

Cheers but happened to him over ten years ago. I doubt he's hardly that pushed now lol.

I just mention it because it makes me think like how dare someone. I've heard the cobblers before about wanting a momento ... But a momento is a stuffed toy, an item of clothing etc. The cheek like.

To say that a relationship is over but hold on I wanna keep this expensive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What would he want it back, just out of interest ??

You wont actually get anything for it if you try and sell it.

D3V!L wrote: »
    What would he want it back, just out of interest ??

You wont actually get anything for it if you try and sell it.

Well I've talked to him over the years about it. You know, gets mentioned from time to time. As things do.
    He wasn't pushed about getting it back then and he moved on.

Guess I am injecting my own opinion on this one. As I say the cheek of anyone to ask. When a relationship ends it sad and it sucks. But two people move on with their lives. So why let the other keep the ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fabb

A fool and his money will always part ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't want to hear about people picking their rings, I don't care how common it is.

But they were picking each other's rings, which is less common

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Oxkb4e

Anyone ever use jewel star in temple bar. Would you recommend them for engagement rings?

Advertisement