Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement rings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm allergic to Gold so it shall be a silver ring for me.

I'm sure some people will be horrified.

Get a tattooed ring. Classy as fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Did anyone see the photo of that man who got a cat tattooed on his belly and had his belly button act as the cats ring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I'm allergic to Gold so it shall be a silver ring for me.

I'm sure some people will be horrified.

Platinum surely :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This post has been deleted.

No, that's not unusual anymore. I can only think of two friends with gold.

smash wrote: »
    Get a tattooed ring. Classy as fcuk!

Oh ick. I was sitting across from a man on the train who had a kind of faded claddagh style ring tattooed on his wedding finger. He was a big lad with a shaved head in full tracksuit mode. My little mind went in to judgement overdrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it the gold or the nickel you're allergic to?

http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/jewelry-allergy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I got engaged 19 years ago and my ring was €1,200. We looked at a good few some which were cheaper and others were more expensive. Kept going back to the first ring I'd tried and to this day I love it. Don't think I could ever justify spending €8,000 on a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well for some reason it shows how stupid people are,now aside those that make millions i can understand since its pennies for them,but for working class person to fork out 4-10grand seems common,and all this crap just because one company invented strategy and add to monopolize whole market,when same diamonds are used on any drill or cutting disc since they didnt make the grade and size.

Thus theres mentality of them being rear and precious when its common mineral.And to make matters worse 99.9% getting them diamonds wouldn't know if it was some polished mineral or some common bling :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

scamalert wrote: »
    well for some reason it shows how stupid people are,now aside those that make millions i can understand since its pennies for them,but for working class person to fork out 4-10grand seems common,and all this crap just because one company invented strategy and add to monopolize whole market,when same diamonds are used on any drill or cutting disc since they didnt make the grade and size.

Thus theres mentality of them being rear and precious when its common mineral.And to make matters worse 99.9% getting them diamonds wouldn't know if it was some polished mineral or some common bling :]
    Not just one engagement ring required now but two.

"And to make matters worse 99.9% getting them diamonds wouldn't know if it was some polished mineral or some common bling "

Diamond experts to thread in 3,2,,,, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

maudgonner wrote: »
    Or how about you marry someone with the same financial values as you and be honest about things? Wouldn't that be more likely to save a lot of hassle in the long run?

Or if she does want an expensive ring, but you decide that she's got qualities that outweigh any differences you have about finances, then shouldn't you be adult enough to live with the consequences of that and buy her a diamond ring, rather than lie to her about it?

(And I say this as someone who wouldn't want to have more than a couple of hundred quid spent on an engagement ring for me, were I ever to get married. But if I found out I had been lied to about it I would be extremely upset and worried about what other lies would be told)

I never said to lie, but being honest most people could be wearing zirconia and wouldn't have a clue. My wife has hers and it's never been valued so I could have just paid a fraction and it would never have been noticed.
    Alternatively, get a synthetic diamond, fraction of the cost and it's still a diamond albeit a man made one.... I ct with rose gold ring is around 500 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

RoboRat wrote: »
    I never said to lie, but being honest most people could be wearing zirconia and wouldn't have a clue. My wife has hers and it's never been valued so I could have just paid a fraction and it would never have been noticed.
    Alternatively, get a synthetic diamond, fraction of the cost and it's still a diamond albeit a man made one.... I ct with rose gold ring is around 500 Euro.

Ah come on. You said: 'Ask her to show you the type of engagement ring she wants, then get a replica made from cubic zirconia. She would never know as long she doesn't try to get it valued, or is friends with a jeweler. '.

At the very least that is a lie of omission, which is still a lie. Telling her what you're doing, and proceeding if she agrees is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

maudgonner wrote: »
    Ah come on. You said: 'Ask her to show you the type of engagement ring she wants, then get a replica made from cubic zirconia. She would never know as long she doesn't try to get it valued, or is friends with a jeweler. '.

At the very least that is a lie of omission, which is still a lie. Telling her what you're doing, and proceeding if she agrees is very different.

No, find out what she likes and buy the type of ring she likes. Buy a synthetic diamond if you feel like your lying, which your not unless you tell her it's a diamond and it's not.

Perhaps you think that people should have the conversation from the get go and establish this before they get serious rather than going out for years and then find out that your views differ?

Personally I think it's complete bollocks and blokes can get pressurised into paying more than they are willing to pay because they surprisingly love the person they have asked to marry.

I think this Crap of spending x amount or the woman picking what she likes is daft, it's a gift. There are plenty of women who share this view but plenty who have high expectations and don't want to be the friend who has the crumb sized diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

scamalert wrote: »

You don't understand the working class it's best foot forward

clothes and jewellery

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Jaysus some amount of jealousy and begrudgery on here.

The women on here expect us to believe the crap that if their man bought them an 8k ring they'd be fuming and kill him watch them change if it actually happened.

Let people do what they want with their money don't knock them just cause you can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

eeguy wrote: »
    Plenty on adverts.

I usually comment asking for the reason for sale.
    Great craic.

I tend to talk a quick gander at the weddings and relationship issues forums and suddenly all the clouds in my life are nothing but silver linings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Wesser wrote: »
    That is exactly like something I would do.
    I was given wedding jewllery and left it in a hotel safe when I was abroad one time. Couldn't find a courier willing to send it on to me so had to get a day return flight back to collect it. I am not trusted with it now and it's locked away in a safe somewhere that I don't have acesss to. I'm a bit of klutz apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My friends got tibetan silver rings online. It was the bride's choice ..she had an expensive ring for her first marriage which didn't last .
    They probably cost less than £50. It suited their budget and did the jib.

I don't wear rings so it would have to be an engagement necklace or a ring worn on a chain. I'm not too bothered about traditions like that .

To me it looks like the groom in the main post was flaunting his wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Seriously, why do people give a **** about what a boyfriend buys for his girlfriend upon declaring he would like to spend the rest of his life with her as his partner (this is probably a classic definition now, but still).

I always thought it was just a sentimental token of love?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Mine cost less than 60 euro. Feck it it's a material possession at the end of the day. Once you've committed yourself to one person and one person only the price of the ring should never mean more. If you're willing to spend thousands on a bit of melded metal that you could misplace or lose you should really have a word with yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Man007 wrote: »
    Jaysus some amount of jealousy and begrudgery on here.

The women on here expect us to believe the crap that if their man bought them an 8k ring they'd be fuming and kill him watch them change if it actually happened.

Let people do what they want with their money don't knock them just cause you can't afford it.

It's by no means about what you can afford - it's about what you consider an intelligent thing to spend money on. I don't think any woman here claimed they wouldn't want it because it can't be afforded, they're simply saying that they think someone who would spend this amount of money on something which, in real terms, is actually worth less than half that to be ... well, shall we say not a person you'd want to trust your family's budget with?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My wife's engagement ring cost around €160. It's got some fancy celtic design, and a few stones of some sort. It looks pretty, and she loves it. What else matters? To each their own and all, but spending thousands on a ring seems crazy to me. So many other things that money can be used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Heard a relation of mine going on about how to value a diamond in a ring. She had just gotten engaged and the 2 of them had just bought a proper ring. He had forked out over 2.5k for a diamond ring and she was going on about "the 3 Cs" -- cut carat and clarity. She obviously had fallen hook line and sinker for the marketing spin.
    As regards spending 8k on a ring all i can say is -fools and their money are easily parted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I'm female and engaged. I don't have an engagement ring because I don't care about jewellery. I never realised until getting engaged the societal pressure there is on women to have one! :mad: Every women grabs my left hand when I say I'm engaged. In fairness, some probably just do that because they feel they have to. I hate the very idea of people secretly thinking my fiancé is either cheap or broke just because I didn't want a ring.

Elliott S wrote: »
    I'm female and engaged. I don't have an engagement ring because I don't care about jewellery. I never realised until getting engaged the societal pressure there is on women to have one! :mad: Every women grabs my left hand when I say I'm engaged. In fairness, some probably just do that because they feel they have to. I hate the very idea of people secretly thinking my fiancé is either cheap or broke just because I didn't want a ring.

^^ This!!!
    I had asked him to marry me at the time, so even if I would wear rings (which I don't) he didn't really get a chance to buy one ;)
    We've got necklaces with pendants instead of wedding rings, too. I liked the idea of matched jewellery, but neither of us would ever wear a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's by no means about what you can afford - it's about what you consider an intelligent thing to spend money on. I don't think any woman here claimed they wouldn't want it because it can't be afforded, they're simply saying that they think someone who would spend this amount of money on something which, in real terms, is actually worth less than half that to be ... well, shall we say not a person you'd want to trust your family's budget with?

But if it's within someone's budget your argument is out the window. People on here are complaining it's crass because it's a lot of money which is not for them to decide and my gut feeling is the reason for objection is more rooted in jealousy than anything else.

People spend money on stuff all the time that is worth less as soon as they buy it. Is it foolish to buy a new car this is worth about 30% less after you've driven it home what about spending €1k on a suit you can't sell it on hell even a pair of jeans can't be sold after you wear them so what's the point.

Let people spend their money on what makes them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I can't see wanting to spend more than 2-3k on it. I don't want to responsibility of walking around with 8-10k on my finger!!

• Advertisement

Man007 wrote: »
    But if it's within someone's budget your argument is out the window. People on here are complaining it's crass because it's a lot of money which is not for them to decide and my gut feeling is the reason for objection is more rooted in jealousy than anything else.

People spend money on stuff all the time that is worth less as soon as they buy it. Is it foolish to buy a new car this is worth about 30% less after you've driven it home what about spending €1k on a suit you can't sell it on hell even a pair of jeans can't be sold after you wear them so what's the point.

Let people spend their money on what makes them happy.

A large number of posters have actually said that if the person in question is absolutely loaded, then fair play to them. But if they're on average incomes, it's an unwise way to spend money. I'm not sure how you construe this to be jealousy?

Yes, I agree that buying a new car isn't very clever, either. I've recently done it, but only because there isn't yet any sizeable market for used electric cars in Ireland, and running costs over 3 years made it a really sensible proposition.
    I certainly would drag my husband to counselling if he came home with a suit he spent €1k on!

But I think there also is a bit of a difference between purchasing an item that will perform necessary functions (keeping your bottom warm, or getting you from A to B) and purchasing something that doesn't.

Advertisement