Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats and best of luck with the new arrival. Christmas is taken care of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

So a little update here. Erin Healy it turns out is a wonder baby, who hasn't given her Mammy or Daddy a seconds trouble since her arrival :) so little trouble that my wife ushered me out the door Sat night when our two boyo's had been put to bed to have a couple of drinks with my friends who were out their annual Christmas night out......
    Unfortunately, whilst walking home just before 12, I got attacked from behind, knocked unconscious and relieved of my wallet and phone. A chap from the local Athletics Club, what were the chances!, came upon me in a blood covered heap on the pavement and to my eternal gratitude, got me home in one piece. A night in A&E, but somehow managed to leave with only cuts to my head (a lot of them), a massive shiner and some other bumps and bruises.
    It would set you back I'm not going to lie, but you have to look at the positives e.g. I'm still here, no lasting damage done, and I have a little bundle of joy at home in my already beautiful family.....Gonna make a return to the roads tonight or tomorrow and see how I'm feeling. Stay safe out there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sorry to hear that Healy, some right scum out there!!! Great to hear all is well with the new bundle of joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh stop, am so sorry to hear that after reading about the wonderful arrival of Erin.

I hope you are ok.

That's really desperate. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Oh sweet lord, that's shocking. I'm glad you are ok but take care now and don't rush the return to running, the shock alone would take some time to recover from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Ah ffs that's desperate. Take it handy, and on the other hand don't let it put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sickening but fair play on the positive attitude

Thanks for the well wishes folks. Made it out yesterday for a gallop, everything seemed to be working as before, but I have some very observant people keeping an eye on me so if it's not feeling right I'll back off...... I've decided that the week off will actually do me some good :) Will tip away until New Year, Marathon block starts Jan 1st :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Holy sh!t man, recover well. Take it very easy... for the next few days at least :) Enjoy your expanded family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh no, sorry to hear about the bad stuff, recover well. Congrats on the new arrival!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the well wishes on here, much appreciated. Line has been drawn underneath what happened, i run past the spot everyday so it has to be like that really. I was lucky i came out unscathed to all intents and purposes. Life is too good right now to let **** like that affect my enjoyment of it. So onwards and upwards.....my advice was just to ease back in and see where I was after a couple of days.

Mon 22nd: 10.73k: 51:51 @4:50/km

Felt great to be alive! Body was fine, just frustrated after a week off.....

Sat: 11k: 50:27 @4:30/km

Sun: 10.26k: 52:12 @5:05/km

Prob closer to previous days pace but had to run last 3k with a 5kg bag of potatoes over the shoulder which finished in a 1k walk as bag was about to rip!!

Mon: 10k including Goal Christmas Mile down in Newbridge A.C..

Tue: 12k: 57:01 @4:46/km

Wed: 21.3k: 1:53:22 @5:19/km

On to the frozen plains for this. Trail runners on, ran it with my mate who I'm running Rotterdam with. Some hill sprints and Fartlek thrown in. A great couple of hours!

Thu: 11.3k: 56:03 @5:03/km Almost missed this run,but then I ate a shed load of crisps and felt guilty...... :)

Fri: 12k: 60mins-ish....no watch.

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 1 of 14

Day 1: 16.3k Easy: 1:19:35 @4:53/km

Whilst it could all go horribly wrong, the first of January seems like a great day to start a marathon block :) First 6 weeks are ready to go, 120-130k per week which takes me up to Trim 10 Mile. Bones of the rest is more or less set,but also ready to be adjusted if needs be. 8 long runs with 2-3 medium long runs pencilled in, 3 races lined up; Prosperous 10k, Trim 10mile & Bohermeen Half with the possibility of another 10k late on. Sessions on Wed & Sat for the most part......now how much life will impact on this I don't know, but I'm going to give this everything that I can. There's no procrastinating this time around, sub 3 is the target, anything else along the way will be a bonus. Can't wait to give this a rattle....

Tue: 16.6k Steady: 1:16:57 @4:39/km

Wed: Session: 10k Tempo was original plan, but ended up going down to local A.C. track session for a look. Did 10 x 90secs w/90sec recoveries. Have it a good rattle, didn't time them fantastically on the watch as u was caught on the hop for the first one, but reckon I was keeping 78/77 sec 400m pace for most with a couple of fast ones to finish.

Thu: 10k Easy: 51:21 @5:06/km

A 6th birthday day of Lego building and general partying meant getting any run in was a bonus here :)

Fri: 14k Easy: 1:09:01 @4:56/km

Sat: Session: 6 x 300m hills, 6 x 150m hills (Braveheart). Walk/jog recoveries to the bottom and then off again! Did it in a group and really pushed it hard. 300's were tough but satisying, 150's steep and into a nasty wind, tough going but finished stronger than I started.....tender in a couple of spots i hadnt felt in a while ;)

Sun: Long Run 30k: 2:40:49 @5:21/km

Planned to do a progression run here but that was blown out of the water due to some pretty treacherous road conditions. Didn't come across dodgy patches until about 15k by which time we couldn't really deviate from our route....so got the miles in and managed, just, not to kill ourselves. Won't make the same mistake again with that route on an icy morning......

Weekly Total: 115k

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 2 of 14

Mon: 14k Recovery: 1:14:44 @5:20/km
    Big loop of the plains, everything was tender after Saturday's and Sunday's exertions. 10k in I started to feel like I was back on an even footing. That Hill session really took it out of me.....

Tue: 15k Easy: 1:14:51 @4:58/km
    Late out and about the town run around Newbridge. First 3/4kms were really slow despite effort levels feeling like the splits should be faster. Felt great by the end.

Wed: 10k Easy: 49:59 @5:00/km
    Planned 12k tempo got scratched. Work is mental at the moment and this was one of those days between the baby, my two boys and work, it was half 8 in the evening before I got time to breathe! I'm under strict instructions not to shoehorn in runs and especially sessions if I'm under pressure. So the session got shelved and I got out for a little run.

Thu: 15k Relaxed/Steady: 1:12:54 @4:47/km
    Back out on the plains for this one. Seriously dense fog meant I was navigating by memory. Felt great after yesterdays easy day. Plains are in pretty soft condition and the effort was certainly steady for the most part. The heavy for whilst making for a nice calm and quiet run, isn't the nicest **** to run in.....

Fri: AM 7.5k to work: 38:11 @5:06/km
    PM 9.8k from work: 46:33 @4:46/km

Sat: Session: 6 x 1.1k ish. Loop on plains. Did it in a group and really pushed the boat out again. Wearing trail runners for a speed session did feel a bit strange, but effort levels meant i forgot about it quickly. Some sharp hills and sort ground made the loop very interesting, added to the fact I was really racing my mate who is just that bit stronger than me. 4k cool down after.....

Ave paces were in and around 3:35 to 3:40/km which over that ground was no mean feat!

Sun: 32k Long Run: 2:51:20 @5:20/km
    Entirely on the plains this week, there's definitely a trend developing here :). Did the first 20k at a slower pace with a couple of other friends, and then myself and my mate did the last 12 at a bit of a faster clip. Definitely a push wearing the trail runners for this distance. Legs were tired by the end and whilst I think they would have been regardless, I'd never worn those runners for such a long run or had never done such a long run on the soup!

120k for the Week. Feeling good....

Rotterdam Marathon Week 3 of 14

Mon: 12.2k Recovery: 1:03:53 @5:13/km
    Planned an evening run but collecting little people scuppered that....ran home the long way from work.

Tue: AM 8k Easy: 42:53 @5:20/km
    Had to run back into work as car was still there. A very grim run, 5 tough miles into the wind and sleet at 7am :(

PM: 7k Easy: 34:12 @4:53/km
    The -10° 'real feel' temperature on Accuweather almost felt like a bullseye, so out I went with the pooch into the cold and snow for a few arctic but enjoyable kms.

Wed: Down in Carlow for a work thing, so decided to shoehorn in a 5mile tempo before I came back up. Too close after my lunch, hadn't hydrated properly and watch died half way through :o felt like **** and finished with a stitch....really made a balls of the whole thing. Really annoyed warming down. Reckon I was somewhere in and around 32 mins which was the target but I wasn't feeling it at all.....

Thu: MLR 21.1km: 1:37:31@4:37/km
    Medium Long Run this week as I'm planning to run a 10k on Sunday. Steady and relaxed was the advice, and after yesterdays **** show this was pure bliss. Planned my meals around the run, figured out the route I'd take, Newbridge at night is not the easiest place to get a long run in without going back on yourself, and it went great. Two days, two very different post run feelings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Congrats on the win J, well done!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the win J, well done!

There's a first time for everything Larry!

Rotterdam Week 3 of 14

Fri: 14k Easy: 70mins ish. No watch.
    Had left my gloves and hat in my parents' the night before when I called in after my MLR.....also managed to leave my watch there, so prodded around the plains after work.....

Sat: AM 10k Easy: 50 mins ish.
    PM. 3.7k home from Parents with my watch :) 18:50 @5:05/km

Sun:
    Prosperous 10k: 39:08 (1st!)

Made my way to Prosperous for this one, weather was horrendous and I'd been listening to/dreading the rain all morning on the window.....wasn't sure what sort of field would be here, was just hoping that there would be someone in or around my pace that I could work with/off, alas this wasn't to be. After a quick exit from the GAA car park I hit the front confidently only to tear off down the wrong bloody road! Had to double back and took me a little while to catch back up with proceedings.....there was a 5k race as well so I managed to run with the 2 leaders of that for the first 2.5k until they turned around and then was on my ownio for the rest of proceedings. Wind and rain were grim and it was more of a mental test than anything else. I think the course was a bit long and i clocked nearly 10.4k, so my time and effort was more satisfying than the clock suggests. Anyway a great workout and mentally very satisfying to run strong on my own I tough conditions. Met some lovely folk afterwards and enjoyed the spread :)

110k for the week.

Well done on the win, great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

healy1835 wrote: »
    Rotterdam Week 3 of 14

Fri: 14k Easy: 70mins ish. No watch.
    Had left my gloves and hat in my parents' the night before when I called in after my MLR.....also managed to leave my watch there, so prodded around the plains after work.....

Sat: AM 10k Easy: 50 mins ish.
    PM. 3.7k home from Parents with my watch :) 18:50 @5:05/km

Sun:
    Prosperous 10k: 39:08 (1st!)

Made my way to Prosperous for this one, weather was horrendous and I'd been listening to/dreading the rain all morning on the window.....wasn't sure what sort of field would be here, was just hoping that there would be someone in or around my pace that I could work with/off, alas this wasn't to be. After a quick exit from the GAA car park I hit the front confidently only to tear off down the wrong bloody road! Had to double back and took me a little while to catch back up with proceedings.....there was a 5k race as well so I managed to run with the 2 leaders of that for the first 2.5k until they turned around and then was on my ownio for the rest of proceedings. Wind and rain were grim and it was more of a mental test than anything else. I think the course was a bit long and i clocked nearly 10.4k, so my time and effort was more satisfying than the clock suggests. Anyway a great workout and mentally very satisfying to run strong on my own I tough conditions. Met some lovely folk afterwards and enjoyed the spread :)

110k for the week.

Congrats on the win! Take those any day you can, especially in weather like today's.

• Advertisement

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 4 of 14

Mon: 10k Recovery: 52:49 @5:17/km

Tue: Session 16x400m w/60secs rec.

Did this with my training partner, but he was 3 reps in by the time I was ready to start, last 3 reps were on my own and they hurt a little bit! All reps were in the 78-82 sec range. Session was meant to be Wednesday but my LR has to be Saturday this week, my two sessions were pushed to Tue and Fri. Took it easier than I would have done otherwisr since i was racing on Sunday. Also the track I used is more Rectangle/Irregular Pentagon! so those splits were earned :)

Wed: 16k Easy: 1:20:42 @ 4:59/km

Very wet plod around the plains for this.

Thu: 13.5k Easy: 1:06:47 @ 4:59/km

Up in Citywest for a conference so ran some roads I used to be familiar with from my time in Tallaght. Nice morning for a run....

Fri: Session 6x1mile. Another day at the conference, and shock horror i actually had to manually time these as I'd worn my 'good' watch out to dinner the night before and forgotten to take it off. Measured the mile in the car and off I set out around Citywest. They all were in or around the 6 mins but I wasn't happy with the session. I'd new Adios Boosts on but I'd brought the wrong socks with me (1000 mile thick ones). Shoes weren't comfortable and the lack of a watch pissed me off too. Didn't push myself and felt rather crap afterwards. Then I realised I'd read the wrong week of my plan and it was meant to be 3x2 miles :(

Sat: 32k Long Run: 2:38:25 @4:57/km

Felt great after this. Bit of a progression run, 6k @4:20/km after a 6k warm up. Partner struggled a bit after a heavy week so canned the 2nd 6k at that pace. Felt strong out there.

Sun: 12k Recovery: 1:05ish no watch.

120k for the Week. Trim on Sunday......looking to run strong there.

Rotterdam Marathon: Week 5 of 14

Mon: 16.4k Easy: 1:22:24 @5:01/km
    A buggy loop of the plains on the most stunning of late Winter afternoons....

Tue: 12.3k Easy: 1:00:50 @4:58/km

Wed: Session 20x400 w/60 secs recovery

(Sounds the 'I nailed my session klaxon')

Splits: 77,76,78,77,80,80,77,76,78,77,77,78,78,76,77,77,77,77,76,73

Had never done this session before but I was assured that the last 3/4 reps were 'just a mental thing' :) felt great out there, effort was high but I was pretty relaxed throughout. You really can't underestimate how great you feel after a session has gone well :)

Oh, and 502k for January :o

All the best in Trim tomorrow, run well.

Rotterdam Week 5 of 15 (contd)

Thu: 11k Easy: 57:02 @5:11/I'm

Fri: AM: 10k Easy: 53:00 @5:18/km
    PM: 7k Relaxed: 32:38 @4:39/km

Sat: 10k Relaxed: 47:41 @4:46/I'm

Sun: Race: Trim 10 Mile

So now that Bohermeen Half Marathon was off the cards, this race took on a bit more importance. I knew I'd be coming off record mileage for me (500k in January) so I was prepared to run on tired legs.

Got there in decent time, bit of a trek from the OPW car park to the industrial est. Bag dropped bit of a warm up, managed to tweak something in my knew climbing over a fence which really threw me for about 5 mins. My knee is always an area of paranoia for me and I was seriously spooked. Luckily enough it subsided and I found myself at the start line.

I promised myself that if the opportunity arose to go with a group that was maybe running a little faster than I had planned that I was gonna grow a pair and go with them. Race started and I found myself tipping away at a nice relaxed pace. True to my prediction I had to decide whether to go with a group of maybe 4 guys or let them go, I decided to go with them and settled quickly into a nice rhythm. First 3 miles were all around 6:15 and it quickly became apparent that we were all in or around the same pace and we worked pretty well together for about 5 miles. I took my share of turns at the front and by 7/8 miles we were moving and reeling in quite a few runners in front of us. A few drags but the course was quite fair I thought and really well marshalled. I was tracking my splits in km but paying close attention to the mile splits too. Dug in the last 2k and really felt strong out there. Don't think anyone went by me after 3/4 miles.

Finished up in 1:02:26 which would be a 3 and a half minute PB.

5 Mile splits were 31:36 & 30:50. Really happy with that and definitely the best paced race I've put in so far. Great to get a confidence booster to take me into the next few weeks of training. Great refreshments afterwards and I'll definitely be back in Trim for this one.

Good man, the second half is the tougher half i reckon. 3 and half minute PB is great racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J great racing, congrats on the PB.

Rotterdam Marathon Week 6 of 14

Mon: 10k Recovery: 55:24 @5:32/km
    Feeling the effects of previous days exertions. Planned on going longer but in the end I was happy with 10k! Feeling a bit better by the end. Checking back on the splits from Trim, my fastest 5kms were 16, 15, 14, 13 & 12. Pretty happy with that :)

Tue: 16.3k Easy: 1:23:08 @5:06/km
    Felt like Rocky training for Ivan Drago whilst running on the frozen plains. Would have made a nice montage.....

Wed: 14k Inc 20x60secs Fartlek Session, 60 secs recoveries.
    Made the best of a crap day and fitted in some semblance of a session.

Thu: 16k Relaxed/Steady: 1:13:49 @4:37/km
    Trying to fit in at least one steadier run each week..... felt great on this one and the pace felt really comfortable.

Fri: Am: 7.5k Easy: 37:24 @4:57/km
    Pm: 7.5k Easy: 35:49 @4:47/km

In and out of work.

Sat: Session 8x400 Hills w/downhill big recoveries.
    Ran these pretty much flat out, pushed the pace with the training partner and didn't leave a whole lot out there. Got my ass handed to me on a couple of the reps but regained some respectability by the end!

16k for the day.

Sun: 32k Long Run: 2:40:43 @5:01/km
    Not the most inspiring of runs. The two of us weren't in great form and it was pretty Baltic out there.....but after about 10k we started to come round a bit and we were in great form by the end. No trees pulled up today but always nice to get another long run in the bag.

Weekly Total: 120k

Rotterdam Marathon 2018 Week 7 of 14

Mon: 12k Recovery: 1:06:06 @5:31/km
    Felt every meter of this one, but as always felt decent by the end. I'm definitely running my recovery runs a lot better this training block.....

Tue: 15k Easy: 1:14:22 @4:57/km

Wed: 16.2k Easy: 1:23:48 @5:10/km
    10 of the muckiest and softest miles I've ever put in on the plains. Ran the EoI Marathon loop a couple of times, temperature was rising as the sun was setting. Glorious.

Thu: Session: 8 Mile Tempo
    Just the one session on the cards this week, and 36k Long Run on Sunday. Plan for today was to average 6:30 Miles.....
    Set off with my Rotterdam training buddy and headed out 4 miles from the Camp towards Sunnyhill and back again. Route was pretty hilly and wind was horrendous. Two of us worked our asses off to try and maintain the pace, taking turns into the wind and on the uphills. Finished it in 51:44 with some pretty consistent splits in the end, despite the 2nd half bearing the brunt of the wind. Buzzing afterwards, best either of us have felt after a session yet.

51:44 @6:28/mile

Fri: 13k Easy: 1:05:26 @5:02/km
    After a morning spent in the Zoo with the two boys and all that entails, followed by a pretty tasty Milanos, I wasn't really in the humour for this.....but it got done :)

Sat: 13k Easy: 1:03:41 @4:54/km
    Couldn't bring myself to watch All Ireland Club semi on TV, so headed off for a run instead and listened to the commentary......

Sun: 36k Long Run: 2:53:21 @4:48/km
    Was dreading this and looking forward to it in equal measure. My training partner, who has a slightly different outlook on things decided that he'd rather run a marathon than a 36k training run, so he popped off to Lusk yesterday and ran 3:07! It was his 40th marathon so he has his own spin on things....still left me without a partner and feeling a bit meh about the run. Id also only ran 36k once in training before and that was pretty pedestrian.
    The plan was to run it as a progression run, but on effort rather than specific time goals. Ended up running 1st 12k in 59:02, 2nd 12k in 58:15 and 3rd 12k in 56:04.
    Felt really strong today, took a small isotonic drink @20k and a gel@30k and I could definitely have cracked out the 6 or so km that were left for a sub 3:20 marathon this morning, which for me was kind of cool.
    Halfway through the 14 Week block for Rotterdam. I feel so much stronger and fitter than I did for Berlin. 802km done in the 7 weeks, a 39:11 '10k', 62:26 10 Mile, 3x30k, 32k and 36k LR's, some great sessions and, most importantly, training with a partner who is constantly pushing me.....Let's keep it going now! :)

• Advertisement

Rotterdam Marathon 2018 Week 8 of 14

Mon: Recovery #1 7.4k: 37:40 @5:07/km
    Recovery #2 9.2k: 48:55 @5:17/km

Tue: Easy 8.1k: 39:48 @4:55/km
    Easy 8.6k: 43:23 @5:02/I'm

Wed: Session 5x2k/2mins Rec
    Plan was to hit 7:30 vicinity and work down towards 7:20. Met my buddy and we went to the Curragh Racecourse to do this on the gravel path inside the course. Not the flattest 2k you could find but it was a nice surface and no one would disturb us :) disaster of a nights sleep with our newest arrival meant I was a bit iffy about my ability to hit the targets but once again, having someone pushing you on each interval was a Godsend.

Splits:
    1. 7:27
    2. 7:26
    3. 7:21
    4. 7:18
    5. 7:22

Happy with that, another decent session knocked off the list and no ill effects from Sunday's 36k.

Advertisement