Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are you guys from Dunboyne?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

RayCun wrote: »
    Are you guys from Dunboyne?

No Ray, we're not attached to anywhere......both of us from the-not-quite-as-warm-as-Rotterdam-in-the-spring surrounds of Kildare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All i can say is hard luck, not worth a flyin fcuk to you i know. Had weather dealt you a kinder hand i have no doubt you would have been toasting a sub 3 last Sunday afternoon. Enjoy your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ah man that's tough. Only ray of light is the super finish by your mate. Sorry to see you didn't get the result you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

healy1835 wrote: »
    No Ray, we're not attached to anywhere......both of us from the-not-quite-as-warm-as-Rotterdam-in-the-spring surrounds of Kildare :)

Oh, there were two guys from Dunboyne just ahead of me in the pens at the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Gutted for you healy, though you and almost everybody else I was tracking had a sh!te day. You did well to finish. Sub-3 attempt in the cooler climate of Dublin? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Sorry to hear you had a tough day J but I am sure you will bounce back and there will be plenty of great days ahead for you. How are the calves now?
    Oh I nearly forgot, congrats on the PB!

So eh, I reloaded after Rotterdam, told no one....ran 2:59:45 in Limerick today! GET IN!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

So eh, I reloaded after Rotterdam, told no one....ran 2:59:45 in Limerick today! GET IN!!!!!!!

Nice one! Well done, and enjoy the post race refreshments!

Huge well done man, great to see this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Knew you'd do it.

Super stuff, well done

TbL

OOnegative wrote: »
    Huge well done man, great to see this!!

Cheers pal

Knew you'd do it.

Super stuff, well done

TbL

Thanks for the advice Conor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Delighted for you. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff, congrats!

So I suppose an update to the log is in order! Once I decided to go again in Limerick I visited these parts sparingly.
    I wouldn't say I was encouraged to run Limerick, but Sean said that if I felt I hadn't emptied the tank in Rotterdam (I definitely didnt) and if I felt mentally up to it (definitley maybe) then i could have a rattle at another marathon but it would have to be within 6 weeks and preferably sooner than that. Shout out to Tbl who reached out that Sunday afternoon in Rotterdam and suggested that maybe all wasn't lost, and if I went about things smartly then I could put this training block to use again.
    So the 4 weeks inbetween Limerick and Rotterdam looked a little something like this......

Week 1:

All Easy miles and I was back on the Tuesday after Rotterdam.

Week 2:
    Hill Session: 8x500m Braveheart Hill
    11k Easy
    30k LR @4:45/km
    10k Easy

Week 3:
    5mile tempo @4:06/km
    10k Easy
    24k MLR
    5 x 1Mile off 2mins (6:01, 5:57, 5:58, 5:56, 5:45)

Week 4:
    8k Easy
    12k Easy
    2m/2m MP/2m
    5k Easy
    5k Easy
    2m Easy

(* These 4 weeks also had their fair share of take aways, crap food, pints of Guinness, bottles of Tiger beer and so on. These didn't contribute to my performance in Limerick but they definitely topped up my mojo reserves which were in short supply after Rotterdam......)

So the race itself.....The only prep I did for race itself was to have a glance at some previous years threads on the event. Having been a regular visitor to the Gaelic Grounds over the years I was familiar with the couple of drags towards the end, and tbh I wasn't too bothered. If I over procrastinated about Rotterdam, then I definitely did the opposite here.

After a trip to the physio and chatting with Sean we had put my Rotterdam crampfest down to poor hydration; both pre race and in the race itself. As an extra precaution and to err on the side of safety I resurrected the Brooks ST5 racers to give me a little more support. I didn't think it was the Adizero Adios that contributed to previous issues but I couldn't be sure..... So I wore the ST5's for both of the sessions I completed in the weeks leading up to Limerick.

My training partner signed up for Limerick once I told him I was doing it. An absolute hero of a friend......said he'd help me as much as he could (he ultimately ran a 3:06, his sub 3 exploits in Rotterdam still very fresh in his system no doubt). The third amigo in our Rotterdam group also signed up as he presumably didn't want to feel left out, but also felt he could improve on his 3:55 that featured a 2:10 second half. So we set off down to Limerick with no idea of what to expect......
    I had made sure that my water, electrolyte and carbohydrate intake was spot on leading up to the day itself.

Race Day:
    Left Newbridge about 6:30. Porridge, Brown bread and a banana for breakfast and brought some High 5 Energy source and a bottle of water to sip during the journey. Got to city centre about 8, parked in Sarsfields barracks which was handy. Down to the square, still feeling like the whole situation was a bit surreal. The weeks and months spent thinking about Rotterdam was a stark contrast to this!

I'd no big race plan. We said that we'd aim to negative split, take it out slow and then dial it up. If the sub 3 pace group was moving steadily then we would jump in. If it wasn't we were prepared to run by ourselves.

Km 1-5 (4:23,4:21,4:17,4:05,4:22): 21:28

Pretty sedate start to proceedings. Stayed about 10m behind the sub 3 pace group for most of it. Pace was very easy and this suited my plan. Had broke a high 5 zero tablet in half and brought it with me, So I popped it into the first bottle of water at 5k.

Km 6-10 (4:20,4:19,4:12,4:18,4:15): 21:24: 10k 42:52

My partner went for a whizz just as we went onto the stretch along canal at about 6k. When he went I pushed on a small bit and took up residence in the 3hr pace group. There was about 16 runners in it at this point. I just sat at the back and got pulled along. The guys at the front seemed to be happy to run along side the pacer so I didn't feel guilty for taking a free ride. Got to 7k and I figured the pacer was about 25 seconds down on sub 3 pace but I really wasn't too pushed. I figured he'd make it up later and when he did I was going to make it up too. I'd no splits written down or pace bands. I knew most of them anyway but it was a good indicattor of how relaxed I was.

Km 11-15 (4:10,4:15,4:15,4:16,4:17): 21:13

Partner didn't return to me until about 12k, just before we left the industrial estate and headed into UL. At which point he lasted about 2k and then had to whizz again! That was the last we would run together. Still at the back of the pace group, still coasting along really. Didn't like running over the Living Bridge in UL, nor running across the quad? area in front of the library. Nice area but not built for marathons :)

Km 16-20 (4:15,4:11,4:14,4:13,4:13): 21:06: 20k 1:25:11

Nothing of note here. Still at back of the pace group. The leading lady was in it so we (she) were getting plenty of cheers. Sun belting down but feeling very relaxed and in control. Wasn't getting ahead of myself here. The plan was simply to stay with the pacer. If I was still there after 20miles then I could begin to think about sub 3.

Km 21-25 (4:14,4:11,4:00,4:05,4:15): 20:45

Went through halfway at 1:30:05 But I wasn't worried about this as I knew the pace had upped after the initial slow start. Once we hit traffic from the half and the relay
    pacer hit the turbo boosters! Granted it was downhill, but 4:00 and 4:05 Km's put the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons and by the time things levelled out there was maybe 8 left in the pace group. I'm still feeling good but am no longer sitting at the back of the group now. Right up beside the pacer now.

Km 26-30 (4:09,4:09,4:12,4:13,4:10): 20:53: 30k 2:06:49

I'm now coming to terms with the fact that I'm in the middle of a marathon in Limerick and a sub 3 is firmly on the cards!! I'm really bouncing along now. The group has whittled considerably and there's maybe 6 of us left now. I'm telling myself that in less than an hour I'll be done so let's leave it all out on the line.

Km 31-35 (4:10,4:20,4:11,4:13,4:18): 21:12

So now I was in the mix. All I wanted from this race was for my body to hold up and to be presented with the chance to bring it home. We're back into city now and there's only me, the lead lady and a couple of others left with the pacer. About 32k, my left foot had developed an absolutely horrendous blister just on the inside of the ball of my foot. It has now split, along with one on my toe and my left shoe now has a red tint to it :( it's uncomfortable, I'm not going to lie. But there's not chance that a blister is going to derail things.

Km 36-40 (4:22,4:22,4:29,4:22,4:18): 21:53: 40k 2:49:54

I figured that I had about 50+ seconds in the bank at this stage bit I knew that the finish had a sting in the tail. The lead lady dropped about 37k and it was just me left with the pacer now. He left me about 39k on the approach to the Gaelic Grounds and put about 15 secs on me. I was tiring now and doubts were beginning to creep in. Sure a 3:01 or 3:02 would still be a good result etc. Passed my partner on the opposite side of the road as I left the Gaelic Grounds. His shout of encouragement really spurred me on here.

41k to finish (4:29,4:13,0:52)

In no man's land now. I'm tired and digging deep, but I know that it's there for the taking. There's no way I'm going to let this slip. The legs are aching, my foot is throbbing and in bad shape but Its all manageable. All my training has brought me to this spot and it's time to seal the deal. I summon whatever reserves I have and pull out the last km (4:13). My fastest km since #33 and badly needed at that. 200m out and I know I have it. I've been closing steadily on the pacer for the last km and he's in my sights now, about 20m ahead. Cross the line and I'm pumped. A million different emotions pulse through me at the same time. Sit down, collect my thoughts, wait for my training partner to come in. Once we meet it's pretty emotional. We've both been in each other's position over the last month. Turns out I've ran the exact same time that he ran in Rotterdam, we have a good chuckle at that!

Finishing Time: 2:59:45 (25 second negative split :) )

So 2 and a half years after I ran my first Marathon at DCM 2015 I've ran a sub 3. It seems like I've been running for longer though. It's given me a lot, helped me through a couple of tough spots and given me so much. Onwards and upwards, looking forward to the next challenge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Many congrats, that was some going. Turning around in 6 weeks is no easy task. Fair play to TbL too for saying the right things. Where did the rollover schedule come from?

Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats. Your report is brilliant and what a race!!! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brilliant race and report, I could feel the emotion at the finish, congratulations you're now a sub-3 marathon runner!

• Advertisement

Great stuff, delighted for you & that result after the block of training you had put in leading up to Rotterdam. Shows it was in you for Rotterdam to. Enjoy the recovery & down time and a few more Tigers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Excellent stuff. You sneaked that in nice and quietly. Haha. Great result.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Many congrats, that was some going. Turning around in 6 weeks is no easy task. Fair play to TbL too for saying the right things. Where did the rollover schedule come from?

Delighted for you.

Cheers :) just came from my mate who'd give me my training programmes. Emphasis was just on maintainance, he'd give me one or two key runs each week and I'd fill in the blanks with easy miles or rest. I suppose the 30k and the 5 x Mile session were the two key runs and I definitely focused on them. It was tough mentally to keep motivated at times but I got there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Many congrats - super result!

Went back over your log - some impressive sessions on Braveheart hill and that HM TT.....Mental!!.
    I'd say you know a friend of mine (Mel H) who runs with my club but lives out there and runs the Curragh a lot.

I'd say theres a few more mins improvement there too with the right crowd around you (and no blister).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J on your brilliant result, absolutely delighted for you.

Many congrats - super result!

Went back over your log - some impressive sessions on Braveheart hill and that HM TT.....Mental!!.
    I'd say you know a friend of mine (Mel H) who runs with my club but lives out there and runs the Curragh a lot.

I'd say theres a few more mins improvement there too with the right crowd around you (and no blister).

I probably do alright, the Curragh is a very very large small place :) you'd recognise most of the people who'd train on it. What club are you? Yeah definitely looking forward to the next challenge already......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Very enjoyable read. Hope you thanked the pacer for that move he put in at 39k  :) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on Limerick and thanks for the report. Just the thing I needed to read. I last had a go at a marathon in Berlin in 2011 and derailed with cramp after 2hrs on track (for 2:55) to a 3:15. I was so angry and disappointed that I just couldn't consider another attempt. Kudos to you picking yourself up 6 weeks later to get it done! Well done!

I'll probably come back to read your report periodically over the next 12 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice shoutout on MT this week.

• Advertisement

Nice shoutout on MT this week.

Sure you only break 3 hours for the first time once! Also, I figured it was probably my only ever chance of getting on the podium as usually I'm running bigger marathons :)

Advertisement