Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Lad your sessions are just taking off... could you be the next Krusty Clown around here I wonder?!

Very big shoes to fill but I can see where you are coming from shotgunmcos.
    J your progress and dedication to improvement has being outstanding and I look forward to following your continued progress in this log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Finisherpix sent an email with links to all the races they have pictures for me over the last few years so I'm guessing everyone will have gotten one too. Some trip down memory lane :) a couple of races in there that I'd totally forgotten about! It turns out that I ran s 37:08 Irish Runner 5 Mile in 2016 that I've zero recollection of. Also some very questionable singlet choices in there before I joined Newbridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Epic react flyknit available for 53 quid on Nike App with APRIL30 code
    healy1835 wrote: »

PS. Cheers to Sweatlicker for the Epic React heads up :) couple of pairs for my prospective Amsterdam training block are en route.

Sweatlicker: Great name - that could stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Did you miss that on the corona thread? It was a funny turn of events that had me face-palming all morning last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I think it's an epic name! Something good to come out of that toxic thread :D

We are still awaiting the official name change ;)

• Advertisement

Did you miss that on the corona thread? It was a funny turn of events that had me face-palming all morning last week

I dipped in and out a couple of times - I couldn't bring myself to read more than 2-3 posts each time.

I was happy in my thinking that Healy had an autocorrect set up that turned Swashbuckler into 'Sweatlicker'...........indicating a prior use of that name.

I'm slightly disappointed with the reality.

We are still awaiting the official name change

Turns out its more hassle than it's worth. Haha. I did investigate the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Turns out its more hassle than it's worth. Haha. I did investigate the possibility.

You shall be forever known as Sweatlicker to me ;)

The next McGrattans meet up is gonna be fun.... Once I peel myself off from licking the road.

Fri: 10 Miles: 1:16:12 @4:44/km

Sat: 15 Miles: 1:43:40 @4:17/km

After pushing Wednesday's km repeats to Thursday, and looking at the weather forecast for Sunday, and wanting to enjoy today with bbq, paddling pool, maybe even a couple of beers, I said I'd scrap planned hills and just incorporate a session into the LR.

Stole the workout dmurph mentioned on his log in lieu of anything I could come up with :) so I went with 3 x (5,3,2 mins @MP, HMP & 10k Efforts). 2 mins recovery and 5 mins between sets. I reckon that this 5 mile loop I run EVERY DAY might just be the making of me! Keeps the sessions very interesting and I really had to work at a couple of junctures today.

What didn't help was the fact that, buoyed by a tune that came on my shuffled playlist, and, not being entirely sure of the specifics of the session I'd thrown together, I set off and did the first 5 minutes at HMP :o settled down after that, and felt really good out there for the rest of the run. The recoveries were all pretty quick and felt really easy.
    Great day.

• Advertisement

Sunday: 7 Miles: 58:20 @5:10/km

Turns out a bellyful of Easter Eggs and a Sunday dinner are not entirely conducive to a successful run. After 2k I was ready to turn around and leave it at 5k, but I'd built up a few of the David O'Doherty isolating podcasts so i listened to then and i ended up putting in a decent shift. Another Easter egg and a couple of Peroni whilst watching Civil War with my two boys. Have decided to curtail the boozing to just Sundays for the foreseeable future.

106k for the week.

Mon: 10 Miles: 1:19:58 @4:58/km

Tue: 13k: 1:02:45 @4:49/km

Wed: Session 1600/1200/1000/600/400/200m hard of half of the rep distance recoveries.

Said I'd better throw in a token 5k session or two before Sat week! Went hard at this one and was happy with the paces. Didn't feel overly great beforehand but once I was about a km into the mile rep I sort of knew I was on it today.

Paces were; (3:28/3:16/3:18/3:16/3:05/2:54/km)

Just over 14k for the day.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Turns out a bellyful of Easter Eggs and a Sunday dinner are not entirely conducive to a successful run. After 2k I was ready to turn around and leave it at 5k, but I'd built up a few of the David O'Doherty isolating podcasts so i listened to then and i ended up putting in a decent shift. Another Easter egg and a couple of Peroni whilst watching Civil War with my two boys. Have decided to curtail the boozing to just Sundays for the foreseeable future.

If I didn't know you, I dont think I'd like you :P

If I didn't know you, I dont think I'd like you :P

Ha! DoD is an acquired taste, of that there is no doubt! As regards the boozing, something needed to happen....for a couple of weeks at least :)

Thu: 11k: 54:50 @4:59/km

Fri: 10 Miles: 76mins @4:43/km

Sat: 3k TT: Fail

Disastrous attempt at a 3k TT. Was determined to test out first 3k of a prospective 5k route for next week. Knew I'd have to get out early as I'd be using some main roads, roundabouts, traffic lights etc.

I know what you're thinking, 'That doesn't sound like a good route choice at all. In fact, that sounds a bit on the dangerous side.' And you'd be right. Didn't get out as early as I'd like but the roads were pretty empty. Had never thought about a 3k time before, but I remembered the 10mins target from the How Many Round Numbers can you run threads, so said I'd have a rattle at that!

Tore down the main street, safely through lights at the bridge, first km in 3:18. Moving towards Pfizer roundabout now, roads still clear, street sweeper thing arrives around the corner, I swing up onto a median thing in the middle of road leading into the roundabout. Ended up on said roundabout having had to avoid an oncoming cyclist. Pulled up, berated myself for a pretty stupid idea. Turned around, ran the 2k or so home, picked things up a bit on one section, but wasn't really in the humour to run at all by then. Didn't bother with a long cool down.

Need to reassess next weekend's route now. Might just do an out and back (and a half) on Lidl loop. Will measure it on Google maps.

Should have stayed out the bog. First day I come back towards the town it all goes to pieces :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I admire anyone even contemplating doing a 3k TT in the AM regardless of what happened.

I admire anyone even contemplating doing a 3k TT in the AM regardless of what happened.

I'm never more dangerous than when left to my own devices S :(

Sunday however is another day....

15 Mile Progression Run: 1:40:29 @4:10/km

My lovely wife suffering with her sinuses so I was flat out Saturday with the munchkins and then up a few times throughout the night, and then up for the day with Erin at 5:30am :(

Had wrote off a run, but Gillian was feeling a lot better and told me to go up and relax for an hour and maybe I might feel like a run then....which I did, and I did.

Still a bit annoyed over yesterday's run so I was in the humour to work. Said I'd have another rattle at the 15 Mile royal flush that I'd failed at a couple of weeks back. Headed out the bog but did the 5k loop rather than the 5mile loop like last time out, the idea being easier to get into a rhythm and having a better handle on when to gain a few seconds and when I'd be losing a few. Met a buddy about a half mile in and stopped for a chat for a few minutes but let him out the road for about 400m and then set off after him, knowing that he was running about 4:30 kms so was a nice little target to reel in.

The run itself was really straightforward. Was never in danger of missing a split and felt really good out there, bouncing off the road in fact :) miles splits went from 7:25 down to 5:59 :) and I sub 7min miling by the 3rd rep. Couple of miles cool down afterwards.

104km for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice job! Well done on the flush. Last week I aimed for 10 sec per split (from recovery pace to 5k) so maybe a nicer graph but I was under serious pressure the last 3m lol

I'm thinking the ultimate flush would be a dead even drop per split

Or a single second drop per split... from MP!

Nice job! Well done on the flush. Last week I aimed for 10 sec per split (from recovery pace to 5k) so maybe a nicer graph but I was under serious pressure the last 3m lol

I'm thinking the ultimate flush would be a dead even drop per split

Or a single second drop per split... from MP!

I just wanted to start aggressively enough and the rest would look after itself :) I'd have my lap pace in Kms so even though a couple of miles had a couple of seconds between them, I was probably managing the pace in my favour over the last 100m or so. Often because of the gradient or prospective spotty GPS. Nice session though, keeps you on your game 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Brilliant progression run!

• Advertisement

I'm quite jealous of that run, massive last 5k and superb last mile.

5k Boards TT Report

Said I'd throw a little report up when it's fresh in my brain.

Preamble:
    Was feeling great during the week, had the usual race week session on Wed of 4x200,2x400,800,2x400,4x200 and was bouncing off the road. Felt a little tired on yesterday's short shakeout but nothing major.
    Alas things began to unravel at about 4am this morning when Erin Healy awoke, bouncing off the walls and ready for the day ahead. Them's the breaks. Let my wife sleep on and was nodding off when she came down the stairs at 7:30am asking me 'Why didn't you wake me!? You have that race thing this morning'. Indeed I did. Still feeling relatively chipper about my prospects at this stage. Anyway, gear on and out the door. Planned about a 5k warm up, got down to the Lidl loop and ran around to where the now departed Travller Camp had been set up, and much to my horror it had been replaced by a massive road block of debris and dirt which went across the whole road and path. ****e. The loop is only about 4.6k and tagging on 400m either side of it wasn't really a runner safety wise (lessons learned from last week's 3k TT attempt!).

So I made the decision to run from the blockade around the loop and then back into the town and down to my estate. This meant traffic and people were now in the equation but I really wasn't thinking too deeply. I should have just turned back at the blockade ran the extra 400m. Hindsight is 20/20 vision and all that. So with 2.8k of a warm up done to reach the road block, I didn't bother with anymore and decided I'd set off!

I was aiming to break 17mins. No point in saying otherwise. 5k is not a distance I enjoy, like, race very often or feel I have a whole lot of aptitude at, but recent races and sessions would suggest that I should be breaking 17mins, so I chose it as an arbitrary and round target.

1st km was 3:21 and was still trying to figure out how I was feeling when the second km beeped at 3:26. Still on target but when I turned out of the loop to head back into town I really wasn't feeling it :( this was meant to be the last km of the TT but now I'd another 3k to go. Things just started to go downhill from there. Had to come up and down paths to avoid pedestrians a couple of times, slowed badly at the corner of the bridge at one stage and I could see all these blips on my pace stats afterwards. I was however always going to finish and try and put some respectable digits on the board; last 3kms were 3:29, 3:35, 3:34. Poor splits really but it was a good blowout.
    Garmin showed 17:27 but Strava showed 17:30. I understand if there's a second in the difference but 3? Anywho, great to see so many posters on the Strava group. Hopefully some of the less frequent posters will frequent these parts more often :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Could you not have let me know that, after loosing a boat load of money now.........

Hard luck Johnny a time many(myself included) would kill for but not a time that reflects your true talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Lack of 5k race experience kicking in a bit I think. I reckon you should try this every second week for the next while and see how things go :D

Singer wrote: »
    Lack of 5k race experience kicking in a bit I think. I reckon you should try this every second week for the next while and see how things go :D

Eh, no thanks B ;)

Mon: 10 Miles Recovery: 1:20:02 @4:58/km

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:58:26 @4:52/km

Wed: Session 4x200, 2x400, 800, 2x400, 4x200

(38,36,36,37) (76,77) (2:34) (78,79) (36,36,36,34)

Felt pretty good on this one. Up and down a nice and flat one k stretch in the bog.

Thu: 6 Miles Easy: 47:46 @4:56/km

Fri: 6.7k Easy w/strides: 31:41 @4:43/km

Felt pretty crap on this one. Nearly turned back around at the entrance to my estate about 300m in, but felt a bit better as the run progressed. Just tiredness really.

Sat: 5K TT. See report above.

Not a lot to add to the report. 17:27 was a decent show in hindsight considering a few external factors. I'm happy that I didn't do it on my magic 600m loop in the industrial estate. I've seen a few local lads do TT's and sessions there recently and claiming PB's etc which is ridiculous. Only fooling themselves, Strava PB's don't count gents and also it's not that hard to look at at a map and see the massive variations on corners etc and realise what's up. Or maybe I should have just taken the 16:30 from a couple of weeks back and all the plaudits that came with it! Anyway, rant over.

Sun:
    Well, another night similar to Friday night saw me in pretty ropey territory. Wife had a webinar thing for work so had planned on going for LR at around 11:30. Things ran a bit over, and when I was relieved of duties about 1 o'clock I said that I'd put my head down for 30 mins and go then. Woke up at 6pm and figured that maybe I need to sit this one out! Felt ****e for the rest of the day. Will hopefully get out later for a LR but who knows.

73k for the week. LR was meant to see me hit my arbitrary 100k target. Been floating along lately. Think I'll get my mate to give me a more concrete plan for the next 8/12 weeks. Let's face it, things ain't changing anytime soon, definitely not for me anyway. Might as well try and focus on something. Have no interest in doing any sessions or training for a Mile TT but will run it for the craic. I know a good loop. Stick me down for 4:50 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

As a novice to Strava. What's the variations on corners or how does that work?

Well if you look at my own example from a couple of weeks back. I've deleted the activity but I took a screenshot and posted it on my Strava. There's a corner (top left) that the line is clearly too wide. Now if you're doing loops the lines won't always be exactly on top of each other, but they're usually tight enough. You know by just looking if they're not. My own activity basically had that corner as being longer, which added on meters to each lap which made my pace quicker. SO instead of the loop being say 555m, Garmin was recording it as say 570 meters or something. 9 laps = 135m of difference = 25/30 secs etc. It can happen on straights as well when the line diverges and goes out wide etc...it's just an occupational hazard of running on smaller loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

:pac:
    As a novice to Strava. What's the variations on corners or how does that work?

It's down to the accuracy of commercial GPS. It has an accuracy of approx 10 metres when it locates your position. It sends this location once every 1-5 seconds in perfect conditions, less if there are certain atmospheric conditions, tree cover or buildings in the line of sight of the satellite. If you stand in one spot while recording an activity it is possible that the position it gives for you is at a different point within the 10m thereby showing distance travelled which you did not actually cover. This is why if you ever notice people recording gym sessions in a room the GPS shows them outside the building at times.

This becomes less an issue the further you run in a straight line. It may have your position wrong by a few metres every time it positions you but ultimately it has your start point to within 10m and your finish point to within 10m. It may not have your position correctly at all points but that is irrelevant. It becomes a bigger problem doing smaller loops in that the circumference of a circle can be changed in quite a big way if it has you running 10m wider all the way around. Think of running on a track. Lane 1 is 400m a lap. If you run this lap and GPS is locating you in lane 8(10m away) it would measure your lap at 453.66 metres even though you actually ran 400. I know it's unlikely to do that for every time it gets your position but it still makes it very unreliable.

Edit: I made that too confusing. If you want to measure the circumference of the earth with 10m tolerance at every checkpoint you will still get a very accurate measurement. Try to measure the circumference of a football with 10m margin of error...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Comprehensive. Thanks very much.

Advertisement