Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

OOnegative wrote: »
    The Hague is a much nicer & cheaper option accommodation wise than Amsterdam, just saying........

Yeah haven't gone and booked accommodation yet. Possibly going to stay in Rotterdam as my buddy's daughter lives there, so we'd have a lift to Amsterdam on the Sun morning. But all possibilities are open B. Was looking at The Hague the other day alright. What would it be like for trains to Amsterdam on the Sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yeah haven't gone and booked accommodation yet. Possibly going to stay in Rotterdam as my buddy's daughter lives there, so we'd have a lift to Amsterdam on the Sun morning. But all possibilities are open B. Was looking at The Hague the other day alright. What would it be like for trains to Amsterdam on the Sunday morning?

No issue getting a train then tram to the the Olympic Stadium on a Sunday morning Johnny, they run like clockwork here.

OOnegative wrote: »
    No issue getting a train then tram to the the Olympic Stadium on a Sunday morning Johnny, they run like clockwork here.

Would you think of running it yourself pal? Handy for you and a nice track for a sub 3 attempt :)

Would you think of running it yourself pal? Handy for you and a nice track for a sub 3 attempt :)

Doing the half again there this year along with Sean. Few others from here running the full as far as I know.

Sat: 14.1k: 1:09:32 @4:55/km

Sun: 15 Miles: 1:54:30 @4:45/km

An easy run with a couple of buddies. I had briefly considered finishing out the marathon block, and doing my big MP workout this weekend, but a phone call from the man with the plan and a good whack of Brewdog's finest ales made that a non runner.

I'm banking the training, easing off for a couple of weeks, and then doing a couple of smaller blocks, aimed at staying sharp with a couple of target time trials thrown in. Going to keep the mileage in or around 100k a week until marathon training kicks in this June. This is all hypothetical of course, but you gotta have some sort of plan don't you?

A few of the lads in the AC are talking about doing a marathon effort on April 5th, with a couple of other guys offering their pacing talents etc. It's one way of not wasting the training but it's just not for me. I just couldn't summon the motivation to do that and don't feel the need to. I'm in a good spot and not running a Spring marathon won't change my target for Amsterdam.

105k for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The recovery after a Marathon effort on April 5th would be 3-4 weeks - for what??

Best to do as you plan - you are the fittest you've ever been, you wont loose that.

Week 1 of....?

I've a vague outline in mind of a 10k block, but leaving it a couple of weeks until I launch into that one. Gonna run in the meantime, maybe 1 session and 1 LR each week. No idea of what I'll do for a session this week, AMK might suggest one maybe :)

Mon: 8 Miles Easy: 59:52 @4:39/km

Wasn't gonna run, but got a pair of Peg Turbo 2's delivered and mooched out for few miles.

Tue: 14k: 1:06:35 @4:45/km

Wed: In and out of the school, had a few bits to do that I couldn't do at home.

7.7k: 36:38 @4:45/km
    9.4k: 43:47 @4:41/km

Working my way through the back catalogue of Bill Simmons' Rewatchables podcast. Some good stuff in there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Week 1 of....?

No idea of what I'll do for a session this week, AMK might suggest one maybe :)

When in doubt; 5x1 cans of Brew Dog IPA with a chocolate digestive as recovery.

When in doubt; 5x1 cans of Brew Dog IPA with a chocolate digestive as recovery.

I'm good at those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

2 x 3km, 2 x 2km, 2 x 1km with 1 minute between reps and 2 minutes between sets. 3km reps are at just slower than 10km goal race pace, 2km reps at 10km goal pace, 1km reps at just faster than 10km race pace.

There you go... That'll put hairs on your chest. ;)

• Advertisement

2 x 3km, 2 x 2km, 2 x 1km with 1 minute between reps and 2 minutes between sets. 3km reps are at just slower than 10km goal race pace, 2km reps at 10km goal pace, 1km reps at just faster than 10km race pace.

There you go... That'll put hairs on your chest. ;)

Might build up to that one!!

healy1835 wrote:
    Might build up to that one!!

Soft

Thu: 7Miles: 48:30 @4:18/km inc 6x1min on/off

Had a pretty small window for this and wanted to do something sharp as I had sort of decided to do the Runner Beans Podcast virtual 5k on Saturday. Felt pretty rusty but the paces were pretty ok.

Fri: 8 Miles Easy: 1:02:59 @4:53/km

Didn't get out until late. Almost didn't head out the door, but despite being pretty tired I came back from the run in far better form then I went out.

Sat: #RBPVR 5k: 17:14

This seemed like a bit of craic and would definitely serve the purpose of waking me up a bit before I do a block of shorter stuff. Decided to head to the track to do it as I would almost certainly have it to myself. Packed a little bag with some water and my wallet as I had planned on getting a couple of bits on the way back. Got there to find that the HSE were now using the adjoining Secondary school sports hall as a test centre so that meant the school and entrance to the track was off limits. Plan B, ran back home, off with the singlet, threw on a tshirt and headed for the Lidl loop to do the 5k.

I had no plan in mind apart from running as hard an effort as I could. Started from the church and about 2 secs in BOTH laces open! Ok chief, tie your laces, stretch a bit, compose yourself, now you can go again.

Immediately the pace sort of feels too hot, and for the first time this year I'm working against the breeze on this part of the loop which is gonna be a bit of a dose for the first 2 miles, too late to change the route now though. Hadn't looked at watch until first km beeped, 3:28. Hmmmn, felt a bit quicker tbh, but I had to slow on one occasion to keep a distance from an older lady before I turned for the loop. Stretch into wind now and I'm running on the road, only having to nip up on path the once. 2nd km beeps, 3:26. Ok now I had a pace to try and hold on to.

Turn onto the 'new road' which is almost complete now except for about a 200m stretch at the entrance to the distribution depot. To my surprise this stretch was now occupied by 7/8 caravans, whose owners had very kindly placed big concrete pillar type things across the width of the road and footpath. With no choice now other than to hurdle said impediments, I managed to get over both of them with not a great deal of style. This definitely cost me a few seconds but gave me a nice story to tell afterwards :) 3rd km 3:27, but I was motoring now to make up for the hurdle induced slow down.

Tipping now, 4th km in 3:24, but the 5th km is the main road back into the town and always a stretch you have to work on, and not a reliable spot for the GPS. Passed a couple of walkers, I'm running on the main road at this stage, and I'm making the kind of face and noise that is usually reserved for the latter stages of a 5k. They must have thought the worse I'd say! 3:29 for the last km, felt a bit faster but I was working very hard.

17:14 on the watch. Happy enough with that time coming off marathon training. These little time trials/challenges or whatever will come in useful over the next while I think.

Sun: 15 Miles: 1:49:41 @4:33/km

Most I've enjoyed a run in a long long time. Even the 8 ales I had while watching Diego Maradona last night didn't have any effect today :) 15 miles of glorious isolation.

105k for the week.

Mon: 10k: 50:37 @5:04/km

Tue: 5Miles: 37:07 @4:37/km

Wed: Pyramid Session: 8,7,6,5,4,3,200m off decreasing recoveries

Thu: 9 Mile Royal Flush :) : 1:06:30 @4:35/km
    Mile 1: 7:58 - Mile 9: 6:39

Fri: 12k: 1:00:00 @5:00/km

Sat: 4x1 Mile + 4x200m
    Ave: 5:38/mile

Sun: 25k: 1:54:44 @4:35/km

100k for the week.

Topsy turvy week. Mon and Tue were a bit of a struggle. Wasn't in great humour and was feeling a bit overwhelmed by events of late. Got into work for a couple of hours Wednesday and the session woke me up a bit.

Thursdays run just sort of came about. Hadn't planned it, but felt in the humour for a bit of work, and ended up being pretty enjoyable. Saturday's session was sort of a tester to see how my local route in the bog would fair for a session. Okay was the result. It's undulating and dodgy underfoot at times, but it's quiet and remote which works right now. Averaged under 5:40 for the miles and tagged on 4x200m at the end.

Long run today was the easiest effort I've put in a long time. All the Brewdog that I put away last night seemed to have a positive affect :)

Been reading the thread on running during the lock down with interest. By and large the posters on here seem to have a huge amount of cop on. If I'm putting others at risk by running, I wont run. It's that simple. At the moment I can run within 2km of my gaff which suits me fine. I ran 25k today and met 2 people. It's just going to require a bit of common sense isn't it?? Running is going to help a lot of people get through this difficult period, so I just hope that everyone has that bit of cop on and behaves in a manner that facilitates us to keep on running. P.S. Don't feed the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Been reading the thread on running during the lock down with interest. By and large the posters on here seem to have a huge amount of cop on. If I'm putting others at risk by running, I wont run. It's that simple. At the moment I can run within 2km of my gaff which suits me fine. I ran 25k today and met 2 people. It's just going to require a bit of common sense isn't it?? Running is going to help a lot of people get through this difficult period, so I just hope that everyone has that bit of cop on and behaves in a manner that facilitates us to keep on running. P.S. Don't feed the trolls.

Spot on ;) I have stopped reading THAT particular thread, ridiculous stuff.

Spot on ;) I have stopped reading THAT particular thread, ridiculous stuff.

That’s fair enough & I’d rightly abstain from such crap but some people need to be told they are idiots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

What's a 9 mile royal flush?

What's a 9 mile royal flush?

First I came across it was Marathon Talk podcast...each mile is faster than the preceding one :)

Mon: Tough day at the office and only made it out for a shuffle with the dog late in the day.

Tue: 9 Miles: 1:08:15 @4:42/km

Wed: 10 Miles inc 12 x 400m

Out around my now daily bog loop. Wasn't great for shorter reps, as every tractor and trailer seemed to be on the road. The undulating nature of the loop made the 400's a bit of a lottery.

Inc a Strava CR on an uphill 460m segment that I knew was there. Eased off on preceding recovery to make sure I started the rep at the beginning of the segment and continued on into following recovery to ensure I got the whole segment :)

Thursday: Nowt. Mrs Healy 1835 works in a hospital, so she came home pretty cream crackered, so I sent her off to relax and by the time everyone was off to sleep it was 9pm and I was running on fumes.

Fri: 10 Miles: 1:15:58 @4:42/km

Sat: 5k TT: 16:32 :o

The first thing to say is that the industrial estate loop I ran seemed to have sketchy GPS coverage at one corner which definitely contributed to the slightly garish time :) I did however leave with the feeling that it was certainly a sub 17min effort...but none of that actually matters in the greater scheme of things. I'll be deleting the activity as when I break 17mins or run a time like that it'll be legit. I ain't one of THOSE guys who count Strava runs as pb's ;) was fairly moving out there though. Definitely working through frustration on what was meant to be marathon weekend...

Sun: 15 Miles: 1:45:29 @4:22/km

...which continued into today. I decided on a whim, as I was lacing up the runners, that I'd have a rattle at a 15 mile royal flush. 1st mile came in at 7:40. Mile 4 to 5 saw a jump from 7:26 to 7:11...'hmmmnnn, this could get interesting' I found myself thinking. Each loop is 5 miles with two decent climbs and two humpback railway bridges on each loop. Quite breezy as well this morning, so I was really alert and on point throughout the run, and had to work a couple of times to make sure the streak was maintained.
    By mile 7 I was under 7 min miles, and the way the route was working out, I knew there would be a couple of hairy miles on the last loop. Mile 12 comes in at 6:41, and I knew that the 13th mile would have a climb, humpback bridge and a dodgy GPS spot towards the end possibly. Top of the climb and I'm averaging 7:00 with about half a mile to go...pounding the road now, get it back to 6:40 pace with about .04 of a mile to go, turn a corner and watch jumps to 6:42 and the mile beeps :( finish off with 6:35 & 6:26 miles for an enjoyable morning's work :)

Just a smidgen under 90k for the week.

• Advertisement

My jaw hit the floor when I saw the 5k on strava

My jaw hit the floor when I saw the 5k on strava

Well, now you know ;) actually I should have deleted the run straight away and casually arrived up there in 3 weeks time to run our TT!

Haha its not like the advanced warning is gonna give us any advantage. Lol. You could put wheels under me and I wouldn't manage that.

Jesus a 15m progression run the day after a savage 5k TT! Holy F#$%. I'll certainly count any TT pb as a pb. My recce of my chosen route has me questioning my sanity

Epic react flyknit available for 53 quid on Nike App with APRIL30 code

Epic react flyknit available for 53 quid on Nike App with APRIL30 code

Mmmm, only got two new pairs last week, do I need another.........

Nike app & site keep crashing for me. Think the cosmos are trying to tell me something!

Mon: 10k: 50:09 @5:01/km
    Late ish evening with a few nice beers on Sunday, meant I ambled out for this one to sweat it out of me.

Tue: 14k: 1:08:36 @4:54/km
    Moon in the late evening sky made this run quite enjoyable.

Wed: 14k: 1:07:40 @4:50/km ish
    Erin Healy decided to wake up at 4am ready to party. This in addition to my wife working on a Wednesday for a change, meant i was pretty goosed by the time 7pm came around and an opportunity arose to head out. Scrapped scheduled session and just moseyed out for an easy run on the previous night's route. No watch, but a little quicker...

Thu: 8x1k @ <3:30km off 90secs

Got out about midday, threw on a singlet and headed out the bog. Heat was a factor, but a welcome one :) whilst the bog loop isn't great for certain sessions, there is a decent 1km ish flatter stretch which I ran on today. Target pace felt both a stretch and attainable at various junctures of the warm up :)

Happy to say the session passed without too much fuss. Heat made the last couple of reps interesting, but was very happy with how I managed to hold the pace for all 8 reps. Might try 10 in a couple of weeks.

Splits: 3:28, 3:28, 3:27, 3:27, 3:25, 3:28, 3:25, 3:28

That social distancing thread is toxic guys. Is there anyway you can unfollow or not see threads on here? I usually last a couple of days but then I just can't resist checking in to see what dickhead has joined proceedings. I need to do better.

PS. Cheers to Sweatlicker for the Epic React heads up :) couple of pairs for my prospective Amsterdam training block are en route.

Lad your sessions are just taking off... could you be the next Krusty Clown around here I wonder?!

• Advertisement

Lad your sessions are just taking off... could you be the next Krusty Clown around here I wonder?!

Not too sure about that M. A long way away from those standards. Graph still going in the right direction and I can keep improving for a while yet I think :)

I suppose I've been training to peak for around now and the race never materialised, so I should be in good nick. Weird situation to be in though, even weirder when I think that I might be doing the exact same thing again this summer/autumn. 5k TT aside, gonna do some 10k type stuff for a few weeks and stay sharp.

Advertisement