Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Awkward Job Interview Ever!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

BaaLamb wrote: »
    Oh I think this is the worst.... it was her time so they got bigger!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL

Yep, she just blurted it out, I know she was nervous during the interview but she just kind of answered without thinking.

I actually didnt know what to do !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

allibastor wrote: »
    Yep, she just blurted it out, I know she was nervous during the interview but she just kind of answered without thinking.

I actually didnt know what to do !!!

Offer the boobs a job?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

allibastor wrote: »
    One lady who was large in the top half came in one day, full business attire but with a tank top or vest top on under her jacket which didnt cover anything.
    How is she getting on in the role now?

kbannon wrote: »
    How is she getting on in the role now?

She actually didnt get the job, her technical understanding of the role wasnt great, even at second interview !
    Thankfully dressed more then next time!

I also had one lady, very nice who went on a rant about her her family tell her that she wont do anything and her BF told her she was only with him cause she was hot and how getting this job would prove them wrong.
    I mean, this was 2 mins into the interview and we didnt even cover any questions, just went on a rant for 10 mins before I stopped her and nicely asked her to go and maybe comeback in a few days, less stressed.

I might actually write a book !

Anyone have any stories of making the interviewer look a right fool during stupid questioning?
    Or "Winning" as it's called :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I went to a job interview a while back and realised with horror that we matched on Tinder, not only matched but had decent conversation with until I just decided she was boring and wouldn't reply anymore...

Safe to say she didn't seem pleased to see me and did not swipe right on my CV, didn't get the job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

One time I felt ill going into an interview, I was outside the building and I called the recruitment agent to say I wasn't sure I should go in. She said, "Oh you are there now, just go in and it will be over in the no time."

In I go and I vomit in reception. You know when you're too weak to argue and you just go along with it. They had to call me an ambulance because I couldn't walk out of there and a taxi wouldn't pick me up. It turned out I had viral meningitis and the shingles. And do you think I heard from the agency again? Nope.

I wrote them a letter afterwards, but they never even responded to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think our experiences can beat this one in today's Indo...
    'That is a fine a**e you have there' - Man groped woman who was interviewing him for school job

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/that-is-a-fine-ae-you-have-there-man-groped-woman-who-was-interviewing-him-for-school-job-34975853.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

My worst ever experience in an interview was when I was working with Digital (they were big in Galway 20 years ago) and there was a round of redundancies offered. We all ended up having to re-interview for our jobs. I was sick with worry because at the time I had a wife, kids and mortgage and couldn't afford to lose the job. I ended up being interviewed by a line manager who my wife was previously seeing until she left him for me. He obviously saw this as his revenge as he was smirking throughout the interview, deliberately asking questions he knew I had no chance of answering. Needless to say, I ended got the letter a week later saying I was going be sh1t-canned. Galway is a small place, and to this day I might see him the odd time. Always had to resist the temptation to deck him.

My worst ever experience in an interview was when I was working with Digital (they were big in Galway 20 years ago) and there was a round of redundancies offered. We all ended up having to re-interview for our jobs. I was sick with worry because at the time I had a wife, kids and mortgage and couldn't afford to lose the job. I ended up being interviewed by a line manager who my wife was previously seeing until she left him for me. He obviously saw this as his revenge as he was smirking throughout the interview, deliberately asking questions he knew I had no chance of answering. Needless to say, I ended got the letter a week later saying I was going be sh1t-canned. Galway is a small place, and to this day I might see him the odd time. Always had to resist the temptation to deck him.

Don't resist, lamp him the fcuk out.

• Advertisement

...........any ......awkward interview tales happen to any of you folks?

In my mid 20s I was interviewed for a role on a project that some of my previous colleagues were doing. It was niche enough at the time and the project manager they claimed was clueless but had picked up a few things from them.

Interview was awful, he was asking me questions like how long would x,y,z take me and I was making the point it would depend on the system or type of yoke I was doing x,y,z on, it could range from an hour to a week. The fncker was intent on getting me to quantitatively answer how long in hours.

The HR lady was trying to get him to move on but both himself and myself were grating off each other, it was very clear to me I wasn't going to get the role. At the time I was out of work for about 6 weeks and he asks me so "...... you're out of work over a month now, is it busy out there.... ?", I replied, "not really, hence why I'm sitting here talking to you".

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

keano_afc wrote: »
    "So where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

"My biggest weakness? I'd say its not listening, to be honest"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Went for a job interview for a tech support role about 8 years ago.
    I'm a very technical person with a related degree.

The job spec indicated it was a very technical role.

Anyway i sat down in the interview and after a few basic introductions and stupid interview questions (worst traits, 5 year goal etc) i was handed a sheet of paper with about 50 words listed on it and i was asked to explain what each word meant. I was a bit puzzled but thought ok.

Then i started reading it and was very confused. The words were along the lines of:

Microsoft Word
    URL
    Internet
    Browser
    IP Address
    TCP
    Excel
    Hard Drive
    RAM
    USB

Like really basic level stuff that you could probably ask anyone and they would get it mostly right. I stopped after about 10 words and asked if they wanted me to continue.
    I was told to finish the list.

It was advertised as good money so thought what the hell, if this is the level they need then it will be an easy gig for good money.
    Anyway spent the next 15 minutes explaining what each one was and being greeted by blank stairs from the 2 interviewers.

And that was the interview. After i finished the list they said thanks for coming and we will be on contact.

A few days passed and nothing. I contacted the recruiter and asked for some feedback. She called back a few minutes later and said that the interviewers thought i didn't show any enthusiasm when being interviewed and wouldnt be offering me the job.

How much enthusiasm can you possibly show reading a list of tech words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I once had a job interview in Cork. Drove all the way from Dublin and pulled in to a nearby hotel to change in to my suit.

It was at this stage I realised that I had left my shoes on the driveway at home - had forgotten to put them in the car.

Went to the interview looking resplendent in my suit and nike runners. By resplendent I mean I looked like Rab C Nesbitt.
    I explained what happened, they told me not to worry.

I did not get the job.

bear1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any stories of making the interviewer look a right fool during stupid questioning?
    Or "Winning" as it's called :)

Yep,
    I had had an interview before where a HR person went off on a tangent about using a CRM tool for CV's and such. went on for 10 mins before I had to stop her and say it was a HRM or RMS she was talking about. She went bright red.

Also had a construction related role where the PM was the son of the owner, so with him and HR lady. He proceeded to tell me about pouring concrete in 50Newton + with steel fibre additives through a small bore pump. I had to point out if you did that the pump would clog and break.
    He was full sure it wouldnt, to the point he actually had the site guys do this, in interview and broke the pump. This was despite the fact the concrete crew told him he was wrong, but he was sure he was right !!!!

Advertisement