Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Awkward Job Interview Ever!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Ye can't just blatantly steal a line from Friends and try pass it off as your own, Piggy! Jeez...

In fairness I only started to understand Morrissey/The Smiths during my recent bout of depression. It was at that point I knew I was in a bad way and realise what was happening to me. Bloody Morrissey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haha, ah he's a handsome chap, I think it's more his voice that grinds my gears.
    I've seen him on Graham Norton and he seemed lovely and very funny. Maybe it's just his droll character in the IT Crowd I don't like. That humour doesn't do it for me, even the lighting and way it's filmed make me switch it off!

Top notch comedy I always thought.

But would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lyaiera wrote: »
    In fairness I only started to understand Morrissey/The Smiths during my recent bout of depression. It was at that point I knew I was in a bad way and realise what was happening to me. Bloody Morrissey.
    I liked him in Men Behaving Badly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

My dad was interviewing candidates for a plumber role and one interviewee started to get agitated by all the "if you were in x situation what would you do?" hypothetical scenario questions... so eventually snapped and said "What are you asking me for? You're supposed to be the ****ing engineer!" :D

He was highly experienced and recommended though so still got the job. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

My dad was interviewing candidates for a plumber role and one interviewee started to get agitated by all the "if you were in x situation what would you do?" hypothetical scenario questions... so eventually snapped and said "What are you asking me for? You're supposed to be the ****ing engineer!" :D

He was highly experienced and recommended though so still got the job. :)

Absurd thought process, had this twat never done an interview before or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

BabyE wrote: »
    Absurd thought process, had this twat never done an interview before or something?
    Aye, didn't seem to have been the sharpest or most socially adept, but apparently did very good work and worked extremely hard.

It wouldn't have been a very formal situation though, and was way back in less politically correct times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

My dad was interviewing candidates for a plumber role and one interviewee started to get agitated by all the "if you were in x situation what would you do?" hypothetical scenario questions... so eventually snapped and said "What are you asking me for? You're supposed to be the ****ing engineer!"

I don't blame him at all for reacting like that ,the amount of ****e that goes on in interviews these days is ridiculous IMO.There is no way that I would pass an interview for the job I'm in if I was to do one today as its all role play and team bonding rubbish and I hate that crap.

Interview the person for the job,ask questions about their qualifications/experience etc. and forget about all that ridiculous "What's your weakness/strength" crap...the best person for the job could be written off just because they aren't into all that BS..thank God I've a job because I'd react exactly like the guy above if I had to listen to those ridiculous questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Colser wrote: »
    I don't blame him at all for reacting like that ,the amount of ****e that goes on in interviews these days is ridiculous IMO.There is no way that I would pass an interview for the job I'm in if I was to do one today as its all role play and team bonding rubbish and I hate that crap.

Interview the person for the job,ask questions about their qualifications/experience etc. and forget about all that ridiculous "What's your weakness/strength" crap...the best person for the job could be written off just because they aren't into all that BS..thank God I've a job because I'd react exactly like the guy above if I had to listen to those ridiculous questions.

Autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

BabyE wrote:
    Autism.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I interviewed with a couple of IT firms for administrative support roles.

1) senior director opened the interview by telling me she had three kids all working abroad in the UK, Canada and NZ. She then asked me why I was in Ireland job hunting "Are you aware there is a recession in Ireland and there are many locals struggling to find a job?" Given that one of Ireland's most successful exports over the centuries has been its citizens and that while Ireland did have the biggest recession, it didn't have a monopoly on recessions, I thought it was a bit rich.

2) VP told me he wasn't sure how I'd gotten through the pre-interview selection process as I didn't have a degree and they don't employ 'thick people'. By this stage I'd decided he was a rude arrogant prick and told him I wasn't thick. Left the interview, called the agency, told them it had been a **** interview and I wouldn't be getting the job. Ten minutes later they called back to offer the role. I took it as unemployed and surprisingly enjoyed working with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

My son had to go for an interview and fitness test. He had no trainers so on the way stopped at Elverys and got a t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms and a pair of trainers. He tried on one, said they're grand I'll take them and left. Did his interview and got changed for the fitness test in a hurry. Was running and knew something didn't feel right. Finished his test and getting changed saw that his trainers where two different sizes and two different brands. Stopped at Elverys on the way back to complain and get them changed. He doesn't know if the interviewers/testers noticed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hmm. That's not supposed to happen - shops will always scan both shoes to make sure they match. More for the shop's benefit to make sure they don't end up with lots of odd shoes.

Calling them "trainers" isn't supposed to happen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cdeb wrote: »
    Hmm. That's not supposed to happen - shops will always scan both shoes to make sure they match. More for the shop's benefit to make sure they don't end up with lots of odd shoes.

Tis the reason there are erasers on pencils though, mistakes are made every day.

It's not a mistake as such; it's a transaction that actually shouldn't be able to be completed. The till should refuse to process it.

Anyways, a minor point compared to the use of the word trainers
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

It's not a mistake as such; it's a transaction that actually shouldn't be able to be completed. The till should refuse to process it.

as an aside point this happened me in new look last wednesday,

pair of flats on those shoe hangers,
    size 4 label on the hanger, tags all good,
    one was a 5.

had to bring them back was a pain in the bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Lots of sh!tey things shouldn't happen but do and this definitely did.
    And I thought this was a thread about interviews not linguistics.

Where have you worked that had the scan each runner system?
    I've worked my way around a few place and it was always a visual check on the sizes, now, THAT, lead to mistakes all the time.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Where have you worked that had the scan each runner system?
    Dunnes. They were quite explicit about it. The till wouldn't ring up the sale unless both shoes/runners/slippers/whatever were scanned and matched. Makes sense in fairness.

Anyways, interviews...

My first real interview actually, I could see my job application letter on the other side of the table and I realised I'd spelled the name of the accountancy firm wrong. Wasn't even that tricky to spell; just a few initials...

Anyways, still got that job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I want to hear more about the logistics of scanning in runners in sports retail departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

razorblunt wrote: »
    Where have you worked that had the scan each runner system?I've worked my way around a few place and it was always a visual check on the sizes, now, THAT, lead to mistakes all the time.

yeah me two, two shoe shops and a supemarket. god i miss Faith! best shoes ever!
    Dunnes. They were quite explicit about it. The till wouldn't ring up the sale unless both shoes/runners/slippers/whatever were scanned and matched. Makes sense in fairness.

so to finalise this point, you worked in one place that had this system and thought everywhere had it, honest mistake to make.

moving on....

interviewed someone over skype yesterday, fukcin hate it, never remember to look at the camera instead of the persons face! head wreck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Utah wrote: »
    I was approached by a recruiter for a large tech company last week saying my skill set matched a role they had open, she sent me a spec.

I replied saying the role looks interesting and asked what the benefits were and also a rough salary range. I thought, why bother going through the whole interview process to be disappointed with these at the end.

Recruiter told me I need to talk to another recruiter to find out. I said ok. She then set up a phone interview for tomorrow and advised to allow 1 hour for the call. WTF?! All I wanted to know was some little details before I decide to go ahead and interview. I've been duped! It could be awkward tomorrow when I say all I wanted to know was such and such, then again that may ruin the chances of the job. Ugh
    They are in-house recruiters? They work for the company and the role is suitable - so not a third party who try to get you to go for any job imaginable even though you don't fit any of the requirements! I think I'll explain what I was looking for before we go ahead with the interview!

Just an update on this. I was rescheduled twice but finally got the "call" yesterday.

I said straight away that I thought there was a bit of a misunderstanding, I was only looking to find out salary ranges and benefits.
    She said "Ok, well what salary are you looking for", I stuck 35% on to what I earn at present, she said "that should be fine", I thought "dammit!, should have said more" but sure I can increase that down the line.
    She told me the benefits, they are good.
    She then says would you still be interested. I said yes. She said we'll have a chat then. So we had a chat. Now I'm through to the next round of face to face.

It actually wasn't that awkward so my story has no place in thread anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Just an update on this. I was rescheduled twice but finally got the "call" yesterday.

I said straight away that I thought there was a bit of a misunderstanding, I was only looking to find out salary ranges and benefits.
    She said "Ok, well what salary are you looking for", I stuck 35% on to what I earn at present, she said "that should be fine", I thought "dammit!, should have said more" but sure I can increase that down the line.
    She told me the benefits, they are good.
    She then says would you still be interested. I said yes. She said we'll have a chat then. So we had a chat. Now I'm through to the next round of face to face.

Good luck, it is nice to read stories where someone is having some success with getting jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I was being interviewed for a job in a local factory many moons ago in January.

I only remember it was January because when asked why I would like to work for the company I had a bit of a brain freeze for a minute and then remembered seeing a few employees from the company playing cards prior to xmas with Turkeys as the prizes so i proceeded to comment on how I knew plenty of the people working there and how much craic the company must be if they're offering up turkeys as prizes for card games.

Somehow got the job though. They must've been badly stuck.

Well then, thank you for your time and we wish you all the best. Keep in touch and let us know if your circumstances change further down the line.
    Janet there will show you out, please hand her your lanyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I still have a "pair" of boots that are two different sizes, from penneys that I keep meaning to bring back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Tasden wrote: »
    I still have a "pair" of boots that are two different sizes, from penneys that I keep meaning to bring back.

Pics or it didn't happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"So where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

"My biggest weakness? I'd say its not listening, to be honest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

God, Most awkward one!!

Right after finishing a degree in construction back in 06 I was out looking for jobs. I applied to load of places as you do. Got a few calls backs and interviews which went on for a few weeks. One place from the UK rang me to basically say the company was not really geared up for construction but CV looked good.

Anyway, about 3 weeks later same company in the UK ring me up, asking can I interview with them, in the company HQ in Manchester. They will organise and pay for flights, hotels, pick up at airport, everything. I think wow they must like my CV and initial phone screening, even though they not into construction.
    Chatting to the HR admin person on the phone for a while getting stuff sorted and all that.

Arrive over a week later to meet the panel, que one director level guy looking VERY funny at me, then asking do I remember meeting him before. I didnt as I didnt know much about the company or had not met anyone, just my initial phone interview, which I even said wasnt great as I knew the company wasnt involved really in construction.

As it turns out, The HR director had saved my details over the file of a guy with the exact same name as me, but he was an investment officer looking after land purchases in the millions. The actual guy was a tall, very slim, ginger guy, which I am not.

To be fair to the director I met, he was absolutely cool about it, said everything was still on them as it was their mistake, he took me out for dinner after work and had a few drinks. It was good craic as the same, but no job !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

From performing interviews though!

Had a good few, One chap turned up for an interview hammered, and I mean hammered!
    I polity told him to wait in the interview room while I called a cab, only to come back 4 mins later and he was passed out. Had to go through his jacket and get his phone to ring the last number, which was his GF. she had dropped him off to the pub up the road about 30 mins ago, and swears he was sober when she did !!!!

One lady who was large in the top half came in one day, full business attire but with a tank top or vest top on under her jacket which didnt cover anything. She spend the first 10 mins of the interview constantly pulling at her top, which made me very uncomfortable so I had to ask do you wish to go out and fix yourself? She went red then told me it was her time so they got bigger since last she wore the top! I think i rent redder than Boscos nose.

One chap came in, obviously had just put some form of black spray in his hair to colour it, but it was a 26 degree day and he had come in a full 3 piece suit and overcoat, during the interview he started to sweat like made and the colour just started to run down his face and neck. I didnt know what to do, the poor chap knew it too but we kept going. Actually offered him the job as he was a stand out candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

One lady who was large in the top half came in one day, full business attire but with a tank top or vest top on under her jacket which didnt cover anything. She spend the first 10 mins of the interview constantly pulling at her top, which made me very uncomfortable so I had to ask do you wish to go out and fix yourself? She went red then told me it was her time so they got bigger since last she wore the top! I think i rent redder than Boscos nose.

Oh I think this is the worst.... it was her time so they got bigger!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL

Advertisement