Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Awkward Job Interview Ever!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

conorhal wrote: »
    Which is the right answer, since clearly they only hire two kind of people, obsequious employees that they treat like servants and dudebro's who they can high five every time they make one of their obsequious employees crawl for them. Either way a horrible work enviornment you'd be better off avoiding.

Yeh, I'm sick of seeing these "hip" advertising joints around now. If you see some of their websites it is unreal. Each trying to 'outhipster' each other :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yeh, I'm sick of seeing these "hip" advertising joints around now. If you see some of their websites it is unreal. Each trying to 'outhipster' each other :confused::confused::confused:

Cocaine, according to a friend of mine that worked for one of these advertising outfits, the answer is masses of cocaine. The A-Holes drug of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

FTA69 wrote: »
    He asked me where I was from three times in the space of five minutes and was getting increasingly agitated as things wore on. Half way through I just said "listen mate, I don't think is going to work out regardless. Take it easy" and legged it out. Total and utter headbanger.

What do you think he did for the other half of the interview? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

titan18 wrote: »

Went to interview and they gave me all the standard interview questions, but then gave me a test on the language I'd be using. I hadn't prepared for that and went into a proper panic attack, and every question they asked me was greeted with a blank stare for a few seconds before a lot of hmmms and finally I don't know. Was about 10 questions before interviewer gave up and let me go. Would have known most of the answers and could have talked about them, but just panicked and went blank.

I've done this a few times, mostly over the phone. It's so hard to answer the technical coding questions off the top of your head!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Ted111 wrote: »
    Correct answer is chocolate.

Being stabbed would be mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I feel like I've been interviewing for the past 4 years solid, we're constantly hiring for the role I'm in and the turnover is generally higher than I'd have expected.

Seen some funny stuff over the years though like a CV we got from an Indian gentlemen where he he had under "Awards and Acknowledgments", the following two words by themselves "Awarded Cookies". Had to interview him after that to find out what they were for or if they were some strange accolade I didn't know about.

Also had a manager tell me that he had the following dialogue with a potential candidate:
    Manager: What would you say is your greatest weakness
    Candidate: ....Well .... now that you mention it....... I do urinate a lot
    Inside Managers head: *No way am I touching that, NEXT QUESTION!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Many years ago, I went to an interview (straight out of college) for the role of Computer Auditor in Aer Lingus. The interview proceeded in the normal manner, including eyesight and hearing tests and then a short walk around the IT area where I would be based.

The person interviewing me was stopped by someone to ask something and a guy pushing a sweeping brush came up to me and said "are you interviewing for the auditors job?". I said "yes". And he goes "yeah, theyre trying to fill that role for ages, last fella walked out after 2 weeks. Girl before him lasted a month. Previous girl had been in it a good while but she was miserable in it. Anyway, best of luck", and walked off.

They offered me the job. I turned it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

My worst interview was during 3rd year of college, had a placement interview for a tech job in Boston, but managed to catch a flu a day or two before.
    Since it was part of my course, I wasn't allowed to not attend or cancel, so I had to go in while still suffering a terrible fever.
    I could not answer a single question, I must have looked like the worst candidate in DCU, my brain just didn't function.

Worst I've conducted was for an internship, did phone interviews before bringing people in for assessment.
    Had one guy from DIT who I rang at the arranged time, he sounded like he was getting on a bus at the time.
    When I introduced myself, the conversation went south
    Him: who?
    Me: BizzyC from XYZ
    Him: who are XYZ
    Me: We're a company working in ABC, you've applied for an internship with us, we were supposed to have a phone interview now..
    Him: Oh yeah, go ahead so...
    Me: No thanks...click

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'd walk straight out the door if some losers started asking me to do shít like that.

But what if the door HAD NO HANDLE?? Mind = blown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

RedXIV wrote: »
    Seen some funny stuff over the years though like a CV we got from an Indian gentlemen where he he had under "Awards and Acknowledgments", the following two words by themselves "Awarded Cookies". Had to interview him after that to find out what they were for or if they were some strange accolade I didn't know about.

And? What did he get the cookies for?

• Advertisement

A friend was asked for three weaknesses; he came up with two realistic ones and was having trouble with the third. He shrugged and said Kryptonite.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

A friend was asked for three weaknesses; he came up with two realistic ones and was having trouble with the third. He shrugged and said Kryptonite.

Did he get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Tell me he was going for a position of Clerk in Kent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

goose2005 wrote: »
    But what if the door HAD NO HANDLE?? Mind = blown

Exit through the glass ceiling? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Used to sit in on interviews with my boss years ago. He'd always finish with the question 'if you had all the money in the world, what would you be/do?'

Cue the obvious 'I'd fight for a cure for all disease', or 'save the rainforest', or 'work for world peace' all noble but boring answers...

A interviewee arrived in and seemed eager for the role and did a really good interview. My boss said 'I like to ask this question, there's no right or wrong answer but if you had all the money in the world, what would you be/do?'

Without hesitation, the lad responded 'Batman'...

Ande1975 wrote: »

I certainly hope he got the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ande1975 wrote: »

A bit of a joker, was he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

I certainly hope he got the job!

you know, I don't think he did
    He had been working for his current employer for a long time and there was no promotion prospects and seemed a little jaded.

Weird name for a fella too

Robin

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

I applied for a job as a pool attendant in a leisure centre. Asked in the interview about my weaknesses, I had to admit that I couldn't swim.

I was young and desperate for a job. I kind of hoped that I'd get it and just pray that no-body ever needed rescuing.

Not my finest hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I was applying for an internship in college and we had two guys from a well known tech company come in and interview us. About 3 or 4 lads had gone in ahead of me. They came out sweating buckets and said it was a very hard technical interview.

I went in for my interview and the two interviewers just kept staring at my chest. They asked me about my hobbies, interests, where I head out on nights out etc. Not one technical question.

When I finished I went straight to my course coordinator and told him what happened and that I was really pissed off about it. He said "Well, unfortunately, we can't do anything about it. There's still a stigma about women in tech."

He rang me the next morning in stitches laughing. They had offered me the job. I turned it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

A very good looking friend of mine went for a techie interview for Dell out in Leixlip.

The interview went well and afterwards she was waiting at the bus stop to go back into town when the guy who had interviewed her came by in his car and offered her a lift. She took the lift at which point he asked her if she'd like to go on a date that weekend.

She said no, then the next day got a call offering her the job. She said no to that as well.

She was totally gutted because she had really wanted the job but yer man had scuppered it completely as he would have been her boss had she taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A very good looking friend of mine went for a techie interview for Dell out in Leixlip.

The interview went well and afterwards she was waiting at the bus stop to go back into town when the guy who had interviewed her came by in his car and offered her a lift. She took the lift at which point he asked her if she'd like to go on a date that weekend.

She said no, then the next day got a call offering her the job. She said no to that as well.

She was totally gutted because she had really wanted the job but yer man had scuppered it completely as he would have been her boss had she taken it.
    Jeez, he would have known too when he offered her the lift that she more than likely had the job, what would make someone be that stupid?

I hope she told HR the reason behind the rejection.

I was approached by a recruiter for a large tech company last week saying my skill set matched a role they had open, she sent me a spec.

I replied saying the role looks interesting and asked what the benefits were and also a rough salary range. I thought, why bother going through the whole interview process to be disappointed with these at the end.

Recruiter told me I need to talk to another recruiter to find out. I said ok. She then set up a phone interview for tomorrow and advised to allow 1 hour for the call. WTF?! All I wanted to know was some little details before I decide to go ahead and interview. I've been duped! It could be awkward tomorrow when I say all I wanted to know was such and such, then again that may ruin the chances of the job. Ugh

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jeez, he would have known too when he offered her the lift that she more than likely had the job, what would make someone be that stupid?

I hope she told HR the reason behind the rejection.

I know, how completely inappropriate.

It put her in an impossible position. She felt if she said yes she wouldnt be offered the job and if she said no she wouldnt be offered the job, and that if she was offered the job at all after either answer she couldnt take it anyway!!

She didnt tell HR because she lived quite near the area and it was possible she might go for other roles there in the following 5 years (this one was a graduate role).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Asking that dumb "what are your weaknesses" question, to me, is a sign of a poor interviewer.

Over the years I've turned down jobs based on stupid interviewers who think they are trying to be clever asking the list of bull**** questions they find on Google!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

techdiver wrote: »
    Asking that dumb "what are your weaknesses" question, to me, is a sign of a poor interviewer.

Over the years I've turned down jobs based on stupid interviewers who think they are trying to be clever asking the list of bull**** questions they find on Google!

So... "what are your weaknesses"

'I have a hatred for stupid interviewers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

So... "what are your weaknesses"

'I have a hatred for stupid interviewers'.

"My weakness is, I've killed the last person that asked me that!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I get a load of CVs into my office and all of them are very general about their experience,work , hobbies (who gives a ****?). NEVER have I got one telling me why they want the particular job or what they can offer the company specifically - it's all "I'm a team player, good work ethic" stuff.
    You need to show me you researched the job poolboy!

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »
    I get a load of CVs into my office and all of them are very general about their experience,work , hobbies (who gives a ****?). NEVER have I got one telling me why they want the particular job or what they can offer the company specifically - it's all "I'm a team player, good work ethic" stuff.
    You need to show me you researched the job poolboy!

Is that not what the cover letter is for though?

Would you recommend just putting a little blurb on the CV as to why you'd fit the role/company?

Advertisement