Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish martial arts body opposes recognition of MMA

Options

Comments

daRobot wrote: »

Now what I would like to know, is specifically what aspect of MMA do they find so abhorrent, considering the sport that they condemn so strongly is comprised of the very sports supported by their own organisation.......

Striking an opponent to the head while they are on the ground semi conscious I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

Noodin wrote: »
    Anyone else get nervous about all these jacked up MMA lads that are on the go these days? You could bump into someone in the pub and next thing you know some roid head with anger issues is jumping on your head thinking he's Conor McGregor.

The world was so peaceful before mma....

I must havw imagined those weekends after closing time with lads battering each other

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

Apparently the phrases "consenting adults" and "bodily autonomy" are unknown to some in this thread :rolleyes:

Their body their choice :)

McGruber wrote: »
    Calm down Napoleon Dynamite

Tea nearly exited via nose. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

We should go back to the Gaelic martial arts of sin kicking and stick fighting and none of this fangled ground hugging that is mma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Self serving money grabbers trying to defend their patch.

mansize wrote: »
    You cannot strike an opponent on the ground in boxing

And what?

Why is punching another person in the face while standing up sport, but punching another person in the face while on the ground is barbaric?

It all boils back down to ignorance. You assume that because the guy is on the ground he is helpless and defenceless. Simply not accurate.

If that fighter on the ground is not defending those punches then the fight ends. While in boxing when the guy is not defending the punches he will be given a few seconds to get his wits about him and let back in for more abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mentioning it in the same sentence as dog fighting in their statement was seriously insulting, sounds like theres something personal there between certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

smash wrote: »
    No I didn't, someone else did. Keep up at the back there.

Someone else pointed out that the UFC was the biggest promoter in the sport and had not had any deaths.

You were the one who insisted that there had been. Now you have realised that you were wrong and you're back tracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

So you were in Ireland on the morning of the 13th of December, a flying visit or home for a while?

Another one slow on the uptake I see.

Yes I had the misfortune of being home on the day in question and saw the awful spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

MMA is about getting somebody on the ground and pounding the head offa them.

You could film it in any chipper at two o'clock in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Another one slow on the uptake I see.

Yes I had the misfortune of being home on the day in question and saw the awful spectacle.

Back for Christmas then I take it? Had you nothing better to be doing than hanging out with your brother and his oh-so-awful friend?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dresden8 wrote: »
    MMA is about getting somebody on the ground and pounding the head offa them.

You could film it in any chipper at two o'clock in the morning.

And clearly Boxing is about punching a guy repeatedly till he is beaten so badly that he isn't able to get back on his feet before someone counts to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Back for Christmas then I take it? Had you nothing better to be doing than hanging out with your brother and his oh-so-awful friend?

Not really sure what this has to do with the thread at hand?

I realise MMA fans generally don't put much stock in education, and you're lacking in comprehension skills as a result, but have a quick read of my post again there, good lad. I was watching a Michael Palin Travel show and my brother and his gormless buffons of friends imposed watching the fight on me.

Not really sure what this has to do with the thread at hand?

I realise MMA fans generally don't put much stock in education, and you're lacking in comprehension skills as a result, but have a quick read of my post again there, good lad. I was watching a Michael Palin Travel show and my brother and his gormless buffons of friends imposed watching the fight on me.

So you're back in Ireland on a break from your high flying career in finance in Frankfurt and watching TV reruns of a Sunday afternoon is how you pass the time?

Seems, er, odd.

How long were you home for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Insted he can get held up by the ropes and hit repeatedly as long as he doesn't fall over

Thats completely incorrect

1. You cant use the ropes
    2. You must defend yourself
    3. The ref has a duty of care to the boxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

darced wrote: »
    So you were in Ireland on the morning of the 13th of December, a flying visit or home for a while?
    So you're back in Ireland on a break from your high flying career in finance in Frankfurt and watching TV reruns of a Sunday afternoon is how you pass the time?

Seems, er, odd.

How long were you home for?

Excellent work, fellows. :D:D:D

Elliott S wrote: »
    Excellent work, fellows. :D:D:D

Not bad for a bunch of angry young uneducated knuckle dragging buffoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

mansize wrote: »
    Thats completely incorrect

1. You cant use the ropes
    2. You must defend yourself
    3. The ref has a duty of care to the boxer

All of which also applies to MMA. You can't hold onto the cage, you have to intelligently defend yourself and if you do not the referee will stop the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Maguined wrote: »
    All of which also applies to MMA. You can't hold onto the cage, you have to intelligently defend yourself and if you do not the referee will stop the fight.

I was reffering to the poster that said your could be punched repeatedly in boxing as long as the ropes held you up- FALSE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It's clearly a sport, I think some people just find the ruthlessness of it unsettling so they backwards rationalise why it shouldn't be recognised as a sport. If you don't like it that's fine, but live and let live and allow others to enjoy this sport.

but why go to people that don't like and ask them to recognise it rather than dealing direct with the Irish sports council.

but why go to people that don't like and ask them to recognise it rather than dealing direct with the Irish sports council.

Because the sports council told them that rather than having their own body they should approach the IMAC and ask to become members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Because the sports council told them that rather than having their own body they should approach the IMAC and ask to become members.
    And they said no, so now they should just go and create their own body.

And they said no, so now they should just go and create their own body.

They've been trying for years. It's not that simple, the sports council basically dictate the process, this was one stage of said process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

m&a is trash it's just 2 guys pretendting to do boxing for a minute then they grab onto each other and fall on the floor then roll around on the floor for 45 mins a good streetfighter would kill any of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

_oveless_ wrote: »
    m&a is trash it's just 2 guys pretendting to do boxing for a minute then they grab onto each other and fall on the floor then roll around on the floor for 45 mins a good streetfighter would kill any of them
    Like Ryu or Ken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Ironically enough, the closest anyone has come to dying in the ring in MMA was when two street fighters, Kimbo Slice and Dada 5000, fought and Dada's heart nearly exploded during the bout because of terrible cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Like Ryu or Ken?

HADOKEN!!!

• Advertisement

a good streetfighter would kill any of them

Why don't they then? McGregor is making millions. Surely a good street fighter wouldn't say no to that cash?

Advertisement