Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish martial arts body opposes recognition of MMA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maguined wrote: »
    All fights can become messy and brawls if someone is removed from their comfort zones. This happens in all martial arts but it is more apparent in mixed martial arts because there are far more varied aspects as you said but that is the beauty for those that enjoy the sport. Can this person survive the apparent advantage over the other.

This does happen in every martial art however. If you get a very tall boxer with long reach picking apart his shorter opponent the shorter man frequently has to "brawl" by just bull rushing into his opponent to land savage powerful inside shots. To those that do not enjoy boxing this looks like an unskilled brawl but to those that appreciate boxing this becomes the sweet science of boxing and different styles within it. The exact same as MMA.

To those that do not like Taekwondo it can look like a brawl of two lads just kicking each other as they do not appreciate the skill involved.

I agree, but I just don't find it enjoyable watch. Not to mention that fights seem to last no longer than a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

smash wrote: »
    I agree, but I just don't find it enjoyable watch. Not to mention that fights seem to last no longer than a minute or two.

Hah I am the opposite, too many fights have become boring 15 minute drawn out affairs because the points scoring system is terrible in the USA. I light 15 minutes if that is two fighters genuinely competing to out do to each but when it is 15 minutes of both fighters waiting to counter attack their opponent with little jabs it is unbearable.

Give me the old Pride days when the fight was judged on who tried to win as opposed to the current UFC ethos of who wants to avoid losing the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You still have multiple cases per year of blackbelts in TMA's coming into BJJ schools and challenging the instructors to "prove" that BJJ works. I've yet to see a kung fu master of 5th dan karate black belt or stephen segals cousin jim last more than a minute. It's embarrassing at this stage.

Just as a point of interest when BJJ players fight MMA rules now they get they tend to get schooled. So does BJJ not "work" anymore? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Bambi wrote: »
    Just as a point of interest when BJJ players fight MMA rules now they get they tend to get schooled. So does BJJ not "work" anymore? :confused:

In isolation? No, it doesn't.

As part of a toolset of other skills? Still extremely effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ryan Hall. Jacare Souza. Damien Maia. Brian Ortega. Fabricio Werdum.

Pure BJJ fighters having immense success in MMA.

You're talking pure scutter.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »

Well think of it as on its own merits instead of "in isolation". If you're judging things by a specific standard then you have to be consistent.

MagicIRL wrote: »

That's funny, I could have sworn they all cross trained MMA the same as every other sane MMA competitor ;)

Funny how touchy lads are about things all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mma as a sport is still dominated by ground fighters at the highest level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Most fights go the distance, especially at lower weights. So most last 15 minutes. People who look to end the fight quickly tend to become popular, same as in boxing. So while the few fights you've watched might be short, you're hardly going to be watching full cards if you're not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

MagicIRL wrote: »

Most of these guys are definitely no longer pure BJJ fighters anymore, many of them have been cross training for years as they admitted themselves that their lack of stand up was stopping them progressive any further in their division.

• Advertisement

That's funny, I could have sworn they all cross trained MMA the same as every other sane MMA competitor ;)

Funny how touchy lads are about things all the same

Anyone using any single style exclusively gets beat by someone who us efficient in a variety of styles.

Stephen Thompson was getting mollywopped by wrestlers until he improved his wrestling and defensive jiu jitsu. Its called mixed martial arts for a reason.

But in comparison to any one single other style bjj is absolutely the most effective in isolation, it's without question at this stage. Not far behind it would be Thai boxing, wrestling and boxing.

If I was told I could only ever learn one style and had to pick it would be one of those four but bjj would always be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Mma as a sport is still dominated by ground fighters at the highest level.

But even those ground fighters have some kind of level of striking training.

I can't think of one prominent person in MMA who is just a ground fighter.

But even those ground fighters have some kind of level of striking training.

I can't think of one prominent person in MMA who is just a ground fighter.

Of course they do. And strikers like Yarir Rodriguez and Cowboy Cerrone wouldn't be able to compete in mma at all if they didn't also spend a lot of time working with ground fighting coaches like Izzy Martinez and Greg Jackson.
    The days of Boxer vs judoka are long dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The majority of the would-be discreditors in this thread are coming off like either parody accounts or Helen Lovejoys. The words savagery and thuggish are becoming redundant almost. It's ridiculous.

A few points; UFC does not equal MMA and vice versa.

Conor McGregor isn't the be all and end all of the sport, so using him as a tool to be beat it with is disingenuous and way off the mark. He's one fella who has made millions off the back of a character he's created, much like Ali did. Obviously has talent too.

The line of the fanbase being disenfranchised and 'angry' is frankly hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Omackeral wrote: »
    The majority of the would-be discreditors in this thread are coming off like either parody accounts or Helen Lovejoys. The words savagery and thuggish are becoming redundant almost. It's ridiculous.

A few points; UFC does not equal MMA and vice versa.

Conor McGregor isn't the be all and end all of the sport, so using him as a tool to be beat it with is disingenuous and way off the mark. He's one fella who has made millions off the back of a character he's created, much like Ali did. Obviously has talent too.

The line of the fanbase being disenfranchised and 'angry' is frankly hilarious.

Let them at it....any of them mma/ufc (know thee not same)

But noone is being forced to participate in it....once they keep it in the ring. ...what harm

I don't really follow mcgregor.....mainly because I'm too lazy to get up in middle of night and watch it. ...would watch reruns etc though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

My brother and his idiotic friends, in true MMA fan style, got paralytic drunk trying to stay up til 05.30 and watched the recording the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

darced wrote: »

Are you a bit slow? I explained what happened.

My brother insisted on watching it (the recording) after he and his friends emerged from their drunken stupor. I was watching a Michael Palin travel show at the time and he told me it would take less than a minute. In that few seconds I saw a thug land two hard blows to the limp body of an unconscious man, and I concluded this so-called 'sport' was every bit as vile as I had suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I really don't get the moral high-ground stuff at all. I'm very much an armchair fan though I'll be there next week for the fight for work reasons, but like it's two consenting adults in a contest.
    After sex, beating people up is the most primordial thing in our makeup. Of course people are going to want to do it, and want to watch it. All sport is just a diluted version of beating the tar out of the other guy.
    The couple of shots before the ref steps in make me wince a bit, and I'm sure the same is true of any MMA fan. This notion of bloodthirsty droolers celebrating those shots just isn't the reality.
    The truth is there isn't really a better way of stopping a fight, and all of the fighters are quite happy with the 'not intelligently defending' demarkation.

zuutroy wrote: »
    After sex, beating people up is the most primordial thing in our makeup. Of course people are going to want to do it, and want to watch it. All sport is just a diluted version of beating the tar out of the other guy.

Sorry but WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Apparently the phrases "consenting adults" and "bodily autonomy" are unknown to some in this thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Sorry but WTF?

Sport replaces war and warding off of potential love rivals. It's not exactly groundbreaking psychology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Noodin

Anyone else get nervous about all these jacked up MMA lads that are on the go these days? You could bump into someone in the pub and next thing you know some roid head with anger issues is jumping on your head thinking he's Conor McGregor.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Sport replaces war and warding off of potential love rivals. It's not exactly groundbreaking psychology.

Maybe a very very long time ago but this doesn't relate to modern society. Happily I don't know people who walk around thinking about wanting to beat the tar out of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Noodin wrote: »
    Anyone else get nervous about all these jacked up MMA lads that are on the go these days? You could bump into someone in the pub and next thing you know some roid head with anger issues is jumping on your head thinking he's Conor McGregor.

Has happened already....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/conor-mcgregors-trainer-arrested-over-fatal-assault-34520125.html

prinzeugen wrote: »

You realize he's a tae kwon do coach yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Noodin wrote: »

Yeah nobody was beaten up by scumbags until McGregor showed up two years ago. :rolleyes:

I call bollox on this, people are still people with primal instincts, we may repress them to play by societies rules but these instincts are in us all.

Call bollox all you want but I don't hang around with people who go out and fight or who go out looking to fight. It has nothing to do with 'society's rules', it's about having cop on and not acting like a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

There is a primal instinct to compete, unarmed combat is a medium through which one can express those instincts and build skills.

Calm down Napoleon Dynamite

• Advertisement

My brother and his idiotic friends, in true MMA fan style, got paralytic drunk trying to stay up til 05.30 and watched the recording the next day.

So you were in Ireland on the morning of the 13th of December, a flying visit or home for a while?

Advertisement