Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the animosity between Dublin people and the rest of the country real?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

culchies dislike Dubs because Dubs actually have up to date modern things like a great public transport system

Your ****ing joking shurely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Great public transport. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Most of your attractions are alcohol related. That's all Dublin is good for.

Ah c'mon now...

Kilmainham Gaol, Phoenix Park, zoo, Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Christchurch Cathedral, National Museum, Croke Park, National Botanic Gardens, Dublin Castle, open topped bus tours... as well a thousands of restaurants and cafés. There's is loads of things to do.

The only real attractions that are alcohol related would be Guinness/Jameson.

If you don't like Dublin that's fine, but let's not pretend there's nothing to do there.

There are a lot of things to do no matter what part of the country you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

eet fuk wrote: »
    Ah c'mon now...

Kilmainham Gaol, Phoenix Park, zoo, Dun Laoghaire, Howth, Christchurch Cathedral, National Museum, Croke Park, National Botanic Gardens, Dublin Castle, open topped bus tours... as well a thousands of restaurants and cafés. There's is loads of things to do.

The only real attractions that are alcohol related would be Guinness/Jameson.

If you don't like Dublin that's fine, but let's not pretend there's nothing to do there.

There are a lot of things to do no matter what part of the country you're in.

I think your last line in bold might best be described as the triumph of hope over experience, or else it was carelessly thrown in as some sort of sop to our rural cousins in case your staunch defence of our beloved city was incorrectly interpreted as rural bashing.
    Stay strong, give them nothing, and don't try to be nice or they'll only want more.:)

Zxclnic wrote: »
    I think your last line in bold might best be described as the triumph of hope over experience, or else it was carelessly thrown in as some sort of sop to our rural cousins in case your staunch defence of our beloved city was incorrectly interpreted as rural bashing.
    Stay strong, give them nothing, and don't try to be nice or they'll only want more.:)

Haha! Perhaps I exaggerated a little, but I do honestly enjoy visiting other parts of the country whether there are things to do or not.

I just wish people could see Dublin through my eyes. I always do my best to give other towns a chance and I have rarely been anywhere that has no redeeming features. I feel that some individuals come to my hometown with a preconceived idea of what it'll be like - and then proceed to look at all the negatives and ignore the positives.

Are there seriously no non-Dubs that are proud of our capital city?

• Advertisement

eet fuk wrote: »
    Haha! Perhaps I exaggerated a little, but I do honestly enjoy visiting other parts of the country whether there are things to do or not.

I just wish people could see Dublin through my eyes. I always do my best to give other towns a chance and I have rarely been anywhere that has no redeeming features. I feel that some individuals come to my hometown with a preconceived idea of what it'll be like - and then proceed to look at all the negatives and ignore the positives.

Are there seriously no non-Dubs that are proud of our capital city?

A lot of non-Dubs dislike Dublin and Dubliners so much that they feel compelled, by the suave charm and sophistication of the local natives, to stay here for the rest of their lives after their first couple of visits. Though curiously enough this psychological discombobulation takes its name from another beautiful European capital city.... it's called Stockholm Syndrome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Theres a lack of Irish people in Dublin these days id actually take a few more culchies in at this stage!! :pac:

Of course, like most other cities we also have our share of xenophobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You can shove your Rock of Cashel, don't forget that Dublin has got that architectural masterpiece, the Spire!, planted right in the middle of it!

Just about sums up the cultural chasm between culchies and Dubs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah Yeah Yeah.

Most of your attractions are alcohol related. That's all Dublin is good for.

No, most of what you did in Dublin was alcohol related. That’s all you’re good for. Dublin has more than anywhere else in the country to offer. You just didn’t do anything but drink, that’s cool, your choice.
    If tourists want to see the real Ireland they head to the Wild Atlantic Way.

Done it all. Very proud of it. Actually worked on part of the whole destination marketing concept for the WAW!! Great to see people using it, using the WAW term and reacting to the marketing. Thanks.

:D
    I'll stay in my subsidised one-off house in the countryside if it's alright with you ;) I might even grow a row of spuds and carrots! :)

That’s fine with me moo moo, I’m sure you live in a stunning part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'd seriously wonder if any of the dubs in this thread giving out about the country, or any of the culchies giving out about Dublin, have actually spent a meaningful amount of time in the place they're giving out about.

I'm from Donegal, lived in Dublin for a year. They're both grand in their own way. It's not a competition.

'Ye' (the word, not any particular group of people here) can feck right off as well, didn't realize that was seen as a culchie thing. I've been using 'youse' all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

You'd never a hear a Dub calling Dublin the real Ireland. Only our country cousins have the arrogance to call people fake Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Done it all. Very proud of it. Actually worked on part of the whole destination marketing concept for the WWW!! Great to see people using it, using the WWW term and reacting to the marketing. Thanks.

WWW?

The Wild Atlantic Way has completely taken off. The tourists seem to love it. I would say tourism is up massively in the past 2 years in the west coast counties. A big 2 fingers to Cromwell I say!

WWW?

Sorry! WAW!! I'll edit my post, thanks.

I'd seriously wonder if any of the dubs in this thread giving out about the country, or any of the culchies giving out about Dublin, have actually spent a meaningful amount of time in the place they're giving out about.

I'm from Donegal, lived in Dublin for a year. They're both grand in their own way. It's not a competition.

'Ye' (the word, not any particular group of people here) can feck right off as well, didn't realize that was seen as a culchie thing. I've been using 'youse' all my life.

Yeah, anyone giving out swathes of the country on the internet really doesn’t know the country at all. Look at some of the things said about Dublin, “everything is alcohol related” and some of the things said about rural Ireland…

Ignorance isn’t actually bliss!!

The Wild Atlantic Way has completely taken off. The tourists seem to love it. I would say tourism is up massively in the past 2 years in the west coast counties. A big 2 fingers to Cromwell I say!

I know. I was part of the whole concept. Thanks! We worked hard on it. Delighted it's such a success.

I know. I was part of the whole concept. Thanks! We worked hard on it. Delighted it's such a success.

Did you really travel all 2500km of it?

Did you really travel all 2500km of it?

No, not every kilometre, but certainly done a good bit of it in each county, maybe all in one or two. Being holidaying on the Atlantic coast since the 90’s Canoeing, surfing, sailing, kiting camping and driving. Amazing coastline.

No, not every kilometre, but certainly done a good bit of it in each county, maybe all in one or two. Being holidaying on the Atlantic coast since the 90’s Canoeing, surfing, sailing, kiting camping and driving. Amazing coastline.

You must try and get out of Dublin as much as possible then ;)

You must try and get out of Dublin as much as possible then ;)

No, I spend a good bit of time in the city too. Almost every Saturday morning for breakfast or lunch, and then at least once a week for food and drinks, a gig, show, event etc… I spend a lot of time on the Dublin beaches and in the bay too.

• Advertisement

No, I spend a good bit of time in the city too. Almost every Saturday morning for breakfast or lunch, and then at least once a week for food and drinks, a gig, show, event etc… I spend a lot of time on the Dublin beaches and in the bay too.

This guy gets it.

Isn't it amazing that it's possible to enjoy spending time in every part of the country. You will find that we have far more in common as people regardless of where you were born or where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

It's nice to get down home every so often, but I'd probably die if I didn't have something to keep me occupied up here in Dublin. Even when I'm not doing anything in Dublin, it feels like I am, if that makes sense. No feeling like I'm terminally bored up here, like I do feel at home sometimes!

Look it's not us it's ye right!
    It's not us playing hard to get we just don't really like ye very much and no amount of crawling wiil change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

did anyone mention shops up in Dublin? - shops are great and they are 'real' shopping centres too with big names in them and normally all units taken up and occupied - not like down my neck of the woods. But then again i suppose it boils down to population. more population, better shops and shopping centres and roads and infrastructure

Look it's not us it's ye right!
    It's not us playing hard to get we just don't really like ye very much and no amount of crawling wiil change that.

You mean you. Not "us". You don't represent anyone but yourself on this forum. And who you like and who you don't like, be they, Dubliners, Corkonians, East, West etc... is unimportant.

You mean you. Not "us". You don't represent anyone but yourself on this forum. And who you like and who you don't like, be they, Dubliners, Corkonians, East, West etc... is unimportant.

No rambo, I mean us, IE Real culchies like myself.

You're anti one-off houses though right John?
    I think planning should be stepped up, no more one off houses. If they do go ahead somehow I think home owners should pay for all their services and be taxed heavily to pay for the inconvenience they cause to services by choosing to live away from serviced areas.

If people keep building one off houses this could be the case. Rural Ireland is beginning to look like an ugly, badly planned housing estate.

You're anti one-off houses though right John?

Yeah, I take a pro-rural stance. I feel the rural villages and towns need to be lived in, supported and developed. I don’t think people in one of houses should be subsided at the expense of everyone else. I like rural Ireland to be rural, not a large estate filled with people that have no connection to the land.
    No rambo, I mean us, IE Real culchies like myself.

What’s a real culchie? Are there people trying to be false culchies? What do you mean by “us”?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The rarest of "No True Culchie" fallacies. Don't see that everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Ye. What's that about? The plural of you is you.

Advertisement