Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the animosity between Dublin people and the rest of the country real?

Options
  • 07-08-2016 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭

You know how some (well a fair few) of people up in Dublin talk about people out in the sticks as being Cultchies and a bit t'ick or all farmers or inbred's ... is this all just friendly banter and a laugh or what? - its not serious is it.

And you know the fuss some Dubliners make when the people travel up (from Sligo haha :D ) and shop up in Dublin on certain days with the Dubliners feeling like they have been invaded is that all a laugh what is said , or said toungue in cheek, or is there animosity there? - surely its good isnt it people travelling up to Dublin to spend their hard earned (farmed :D ) cash isnt it?

Is there a North South divide like some say there is in the UK with some Londoners and the North of the country were some people in London think the north of the UK are miners and poor .... (and Inbreds) - or rather in the case of Ireland is there a East / west divide between Dubliners and people in the west of Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It's more likely the other way round in my experience but even then not an issue. As many culchies in Dublin as natives so animosity on either side is stupid. Unless they're from Cork of course...in which case they should be chased beyond the Pale with their own pitchforks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Well, we put a toll up to try and keep the Cavan people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Dubs are fine, just very loud and annoying on foreign holidays. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Only animosity is for people from the country who have lived here for a week and start introducing themselves as "being from Dublin" (bonus bad points for those who start putting on a mock Dublin accent in that time. *saying everything is a "deadly buzz" is a dead giveaway)

Perhaps Dubliners may have a superiority complex to some degree, much like Cork or many other cities in the world, but only by the same token do I think that people in some parts of the country have an inferiority complex. As above, some though certainly not all seem to want to cover or hide where they are from as they perceive that they may be looked down because of it in Dublin, but that is generally not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Among the vast majority of real people there's no animosity whatsoever. Online? Probably a different story altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The only thing I hate about non Dubs is them calling all crisps, regardless of brand, 'Taytos'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I blame the GAA, the Catholic Church and Alcohol for the malfunctions down the country. Changing slowly mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

In my experience yes,its more noticeable abroad.i fell foul of this in new York when a group of them took issue with me well more so the fact Im from dublin.they managed to lose me my job and flagged me to immigration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm glad they beat Donegal

• Advertisement

In my experience yes,its more noticeable abroad.i fell foul of this in new York when a group of them took issue with me well more so the fact Im from dublin.they managed to lose me my job and flagged me to immigration

Just coz ur a dub? Hardly..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Just coz ur a dub? Hardly..:rolleyes:

I never crossed anyone over there,infact I had it out with them in a bar one night as to their problem with me ,"cause you're from Dublin"...shower of d!ckwads

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No animosity on my part towards anybody just because of what part of Ireland they're from.

It's f**king tiresome on here when one side waffles on about Dublin having nothing but junkies, and the other side waffles on about how Dublin supports everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

A lot of Dubs probably have culchie blood in them anyway and you might only need to go back a few generations.

An old college friend used always boast that she could trace no culchie blood in her family tree to as far back as she could go, that the family were true blue Dubs. When I used stay in her house her mother told me she grew up on a farm somewhere in Dublin so my friend was really a muck savage after all, just a Dublin version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Being from Kildare - I'm neither a Dub nor a culchie so to speak, so I can't speak from direct experience but as others have said what I see is that most regular people living in Dublin don't take it seriously - you will get extremes on both sides (Dubs and country people) who do but it is generally very light hearted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

99% of people treat it as a bit of craic, and there's nothing wrong with some friendly slagging. It's the same in Dublin between northsiders and southsiders, the vast majority don't take it seriously and treat it as a bit of a joke. Then unfortunately there's the 1% - the ones who think that the world revolves around Supermacs in Eyre Square or that Cork really is the capital of Ireland. And on the other side you have those who think that anyone living just outside of Dublin in the likes of Bray or Clonee is an uncivilised mucksavage or that things will be so much better down the country when they finally get electricity and running water. These people just don't get the joke and take it all far too seriously, and basically give the rest of us who really couldn't give a sh*te as long as there's a pint close by a bad name. That said, I still don't really believe that Leitrim exists. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

I never crossed anyone over there,infact I had it out with them in a bar one night as to their problem with me ,"cause you're from Dublin"...shower of d!ckwads

Narrow-minded thick trash. You'll get the minority of them everywhere sadly. If you came from across the street in their own town they probably do the same. F**k em

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have no animosity towards Dubliners.

I did spend a weekend in Dublin recently, forget about animosity towards Dubliners, what is going on with all the rickshaws and seagulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Not so much animosity but I've always found working class Dubs to be very cliquey any place I've ever worked, being friendly and chatty amongst themselves but somewhat unfriendly and guarded towards the culchies and the foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

YellowLead wrote: »
    Being from Kildare - I'm neither a Dub nor a culchie so to speak, so I can't speak from direct experience but as others have said what I see is that most regular people living in Dublin don't take it seriously - you will get extremes on both sides (Dubs and country people) who do but it is generally very light hearted.

The Nile.

• Advertisement

buried wrote: »
    Narrow-minded thick trash. You'll get the minority of them everywhere sadly. If you came from across the street in their own town they probably do the same. F**k em

Ild say there's more to the story then this.
    I've never come across people to dislike or try to harm someone, just because they are from a different county..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Ild say there's more to the story then this.
    I've never come across people to dislike or try to harm someone, just because they are from a different county..

Your lucky man. I live in a town where the constant weekend 3am street fights consist of people who dislike and harm each other merely for coming from a different parish never mind a different county. They're a minority, but they exist, no doubt. Some poor people are just thick's

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You know how some (well a fair few) of people up in Dublin talk about people out in the sticks as being Cultchies and a bit t'ick or all farmers or inbred's ... is this all just friendly banter and a laugh or what? - its not serious is it.

And you know the fuss some Dubliners make when the people travel up (from Sligo haha :D ) and shop up in Dublin on certain days with the Dubliners feeling like they have been invaded is that all a laugh what is said , or said toungue in cheek, or is there animosity there? - surely its good isnt it people travelling up to Dublin to spend their hard earned (farmed :D ) cash isnt it?

Is there a North South divide like some say there is in the UK with some Londoners and the North of the country were some people in London think the north of the UK are miners and poor .... (and Inbreds) - or rather in the case of Ireland is there a East / west divide between Dubliners and people in the west of Ireland?

In the UK its a North/South divide.

In Republic of Ireland its Dublin vs the rest.

On the island of Ireland its the south vs the north (6 counties).

In Dublin it north vs south with west Dublin totally fooking confused.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Is there a North South divide like some say there is in the UK

I don't believe there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭LuckyRoche

they managed to lose me my job and flagged me to immigration

Go on......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Omackeral wrote: »
    The only thing I hate about non Dubs is them calling all crisps, regardless of brand, 'Taytos'.

that should be an arrestable offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

YellowLead wrote: »
    Being from Kildare - I'm neither a Dub nor a culchie so to speak..

Don't deny your kinfolk, you're a culchie alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In the UK its a North/South divide.

In Republic of Ireland its Dublin vs the rest.

On the island of Ireland its the south vs the north (6 counties).

In Dublin it north vs south with west Dublin totally fooking confused.

very good - well put :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Can someone make him stop please.ah no in fairness I'm dub my partner is from Cork my mother calls him a forginer (sp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,730 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Omackeral wrote: »

not technically correct - Im not a Dub and i call them crisps ... I even call Tayto's Crisps :D

Advertisement