Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Mans Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well i picked it up,couldnt wait any longer. Im fine with the game play its the performance was putting me off. So heres to hoping it runs well for me and that they get around to fixing it if it doesnt!!

With it being such a small download i whacked it on to OS SSD too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well i picked it up,couldnt wait any longer. Im fine with the game play its the performance was putting me off. So heres to hoping it runs well for me and that they get around to fixing it if it doesnt!!

With it being such a small download i whacked it on to OS SSD too

Yeah its mental how much the devs managed to fit into a 2.5GB install.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Well im surprised,the performance is fine. There is the odd hitch/stutter/freeze but it does seem to get less the more i play. Either that or im getting used to it and not noticing as much. Cant be sure. But performance problems are not as intrusive as i thought they would be at all.

Running a 3570k,8gb of 1600mhz ddr3 and a GTX 1080. Reaolution is 1440p,borderless widescreen with v sync off and framerate cap at 90. The default setting were pretty bad performance wise but the above sorted it right out.

Starter planet while bland and hot during the day seemed pretty good for resources. Platinum,titanium seemed to be in reasonable supply so hoping to sell them. Inventory is definitely playing too big a roll,findimg things like iron i just keep discarding,large supply very little demand other than crafting. Yet im constantly looking for zinc and heridium. So maybe more balance needed there. Got one exo suit upgrade ao far. Bout to find my last base on the planet then leave. Did use a bypass chip to locate a minihg facility so prob check that out too.

All in all first impressions are good and looking forward to getting a little deeper into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

wyrn wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with being stuck on the credit screen. After the title, No Man's Sky disappears I'm just floating in space. No amount of bashing all the keys or holding down E works. No joy either with the beta experimental version.

I have:
    • Wins 7
    • i7
    • 12GB RAM
    • GeForce GTX 560 Ti - drivers up to date
    • OpenGL 4.5
    • Over 1 TB of space.
    In game I can't get into any menu. In fact I can't even quit the game, I have to use the windows button.

I'm pretty bummed I can't get to play the game.

Try this might help:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/7/360672304897578119/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

EoinHef wrote: »
    Inventory is definitely playing too big a roll,findimg things like iron i just keep discarding,large supply very little demand other than crafting. Yet im constantly looking for zinc and heridium. So maybe more balance needed there. Got one exo suit upgrade ao far.

Each planet and solar system is very different. Iron and plutonium are very common, but everything else varies depending on where you are. You'll be drowning in heridium later and might find yourself dying for some titanium. Plutonium is used to power most of your gear. Iron and other oxides (titanium?) can be used to boost your ship's shields in a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Yeah I tried that but no joy. In fact it made the title screen and sound a bit jittery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Once I got the atlas pass it removed the need to make warp cells, finding loads in those containers dotted around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I 'obtained' this last night to take a look. Pretty much what I expected. The POV though is nuts, it's like I'm zoomed in a touch. Absolutely horrible.

The user interface is terribad and like Zillah mentioned above the GFX option menu?? Who came up with that crap.

The game however ran fine despite seeing lots of people saying they're having issues and my starter planet was pretty with some things wandering about. I went down a cave, got lost and couldn't find the way out for 15 minutes so when I did I saved and logged off. Its definitely not my thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Wait til you've spent countless hrs and then boot up the game to find your save has been corrupt for no good reason - then you'll really find out if the game has a place in your heart. Loads and loads of people having this issue and no sign of a fix or solution from the devs etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've held off getting it for now, but will probably pick it up in a few weeks once most of the technical issues are fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I 'obtained' this last night to take a look. Pretty much what I expected. The POV though is nuts, it's like I'm zoomed in a touch. Absolutely horrible.

The user interface is terribad and like Zillah mentioned above the GFX option menu?? Who came up with that crap.

The game however ran fine despite seeing lots of people saying they're having issues and my starter planet was pretty with some things wandering about. I went down a cave, got lost and couldn't find the way out for 15 minutes so when I did I saved and logged off. Its definitely not my thing.

Did the same, wanted to have a look at it before buying it - i'm gonna steamsale this one. There's no way i can justify 60 quid for it in it's current state.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bought it last night and refunded it after an hour. Horrible frame rate (i5 2500k, GTX 970) even with the various tips and tricks there was no real fun to be had.

This is a €30 game tops to me and with it being as broken as it is, it feels like paying €15 to be a beta tester is a more fair ask from Hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Played it a bit more and that zoomed in feeling is an absolute headwreck. When in the cockpit the game badly needs free look as well. The inventory still sucks and the constant nagging of your powersuit is a pain in the hole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Did you not just change the FOV? I had it at 100 and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I highly recommend using a controller for playing this game. It feels way better than keyboard and mouse.

You can look around a bit from the cockpit using the controller.

I highly recommend using a controller for playing this game. It feels way better than keyboard and mouse.

u dun walked into the wrong forum boy

EDIT: In all seriousness, once you disable vsync, get your FPS right, set the FOV nice and wide, and tweak the mouse sensitivity, it works just fine. Steering the ship is a bit awkward but I think that's more NMS than anything to do with a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I use controller for the ship and M+K for walkies.

I should really sell my joystick....

Zillah wrote: »
    u dun walked into the wrong forum boy

EDIT: In all seriousness, once you disable vsync, get your FPS right, set the FOV nice and wide, and tweak the mouse sensitivity, it works just fine. Steering the ship is a bit awkward but I think that's more NMS than anything to do with a mouse.
    I use mouse and keyboard for every game on PC for the last few years so I can tell you confidently the controller is a way better experience for this game. Its not an FPS.

I did loads of adjustments and played for days on Keyboard and mouse and couldn't believe how much better the controller is. It shouldn't be too hard to believe since its a PS4 port.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i cant imagine using that inventory is better with a controller surely? I use controller for ship and m+k for walking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I use the steam controller for flying and m&k when on foot.
    Flying is much easier with the controller.

I've upgraded my suit to 40 slots now so inventory management is much better. Ship is only at 26 slots though so am slowly upgrading that as I go. Always spend a certain amount of time looking for transmission towers when I'm on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 SirJoker

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I use controller for the ship and M+K for walkies.

I should really sell my joystick....
    :D:D I thought that nobody even has those anymore. That's amazing. :D

Noxin wrote: »
    I use the steam controller for flying and m&k when on foot.
    Flying is much easier with the controller.

I've upgraded my suit to 40 slots now so inventory management is much better. Ship is only at 26 slots though so am slowly upgrading that as I go. Always spend a certain amount of time looking for transmission towers when I'm on.

On Gek controlled planets you can use the Tower's console multiple times to generate loads of distress call locations :)

I spent last night arseing around on a Gek moon upgrading my ship and am now at 44 slots. Dismantling every item I could on the previous ship netted a ton of rare mats for upgrading suit systems :)

Venom wrote: »
    On Gek controlled planets you can use the Tower's console multiple times to generate loads of distress call locations :)

I spent last night arseing around on a Gek moon upgrading my ship and am now at 44 slots. Dismantling every item I could on the previous ship netted a ton of rare mats for upgrading suit systems :)

Problem with doing that is the stupid waypoint stays on your map then until you actually visit it. Even if you fly off to a new solar system.
    It's one of the first things I want added to the game. Remove waypoints.
    That and fix it so I don't launch into space when taking off :P

Venom wrote: »

When I first heard about this glitch I thought it was a stupid thing to take advantage of. Now that I've learned you'll only every find a ship quite close to your existing one I'm going to abuse the hell out of this for maximum return.

Zillah wrote: »
    When I first heard about this glitch I thought it was a stupid thing to take advantage of. Now that I've learned you'll only every find a ship quite close to your existing one I'm going to abuse the hell out of this for maximum return.

Max of 2 extra slots above your current to a max of 48 slots afaik.

You might think it's quick and easy, but it's not. I spent Monday trying it and over most of the day, I think I upgraded 3 or 4 times and only one slot each time.
    60% of the transmission searches turned into beacons or outposts and those that did find a ship, as I said, only gave one slot upgrades.

That said it is still a great way to upgrade without spending cash. You also only need to repair the pulse drive and your landing gear thingy to start searching for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I think I'd rather just explore randomly until I find some valuable **** on a planet and sell that to buy a ship to be honest.

I see there was a Geforce driver update 2 days ago. Says its optimized for No mans Sky.

Just downloading it now. I am not expecting much improvement. I think that will have to come from the developers.

I see there was a Geforce driver update 2 days ago. Says its optimized for No mans Sky.

Just downloading it now. I am not expecting much improvement. I think that will have to come from the developers.

Try running the beta version of the games next patch. Made a huge difference for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A new general patch just went live, promises performance improvements.

Edit: should have said for PC at least.

• Advertisement

Noxin wrote: »
    That said it is still a great way to upgrade without spending cash.

It is a way to upgrade without spending cash, yes. I don't think it is a great way, though, no.

I waited until I found a planet where the caves were full of Vortex Cubes, and found a cave system with a trade post immediately outside, and spent an hour running around cashing in. Got about nine million, for a total of about 11 million, then upgraded to a nine mil ship, and I don't think I'll ever upgrade again.

It's only 33 slots vs a max of 48, but I can't imagine why I would need more. I kill anything that comes near me, and my suit has more than enough slots - especially now that I am free of those blighted Atlas Stones.

Advertisement