Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Mans Sky

Options
  • 07-08-2016 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I searched the forums and the results came back blank for No Mans Sky.

Is anyone here going to buy it? Ive watched lots of gameplay footage and trailers and Im still not too sure if its going to be a great game or become repetitive in a short time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

pcuser wrote: »
    I searched the forums and the results came back blank for No Mans Sky.

Is anyone here going to buy it? Ive watched lots of gameplay footage and trailers and Im still not too sure if its going to be a great game or become repetitive in a short time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227311

Full thread here, think there is a rule against individual threads in each sub-forum if it's not an exclusive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

pcuser wrote: »
    Is anyone here going to buy it?

It's outrageously priced from the kind of game it's being advertised as so definitely not for a while and possibly not ever. It's going to be available on GOG so that's nice to see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

marko93 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057227311

Full thread here, think there is a rule against individual threads in each sub-forum if it's not an exclusive :)

Thanks for letting me know, Mods feel free to delete,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Dont think theres any reason we cant have a thread for the PC spcific aspects of the game in the PC Gamimg forum.

People tend to be a bit touchy in the general games forum if the talk sways towards PC specific talk in my experience so a thread here is not always a bad thing. Just my 2cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah decided not to preorder, seems like a gamble at this point. been hearing good and bad, so i'll wait til it's actually out for pc before making a proper buy or not decision. Really hope it's not a shoddy port because of it's exclusive console launch/es

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

yeah decided not to preorder, seems like a gamble at this point. been hearing good and bad, so i'll wait til it's actually out for pc before making a proper buy or not decision. Really hope it's not a shoddy port because of it's exclusive console launch/es

What's the bad?

I watched about half an hour of a stream earlier today, seemed decent. Nothing particularly compelling, but great exploration and lots of **** to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

il wait for reviews, im getting that spore feeling... and that was a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

What's the bad?

I watched about half an hour of a stream earlier today, seemed decent. Nothing particularly compelling, but great exploration and lots of **** to do.

the fov is supposedly fixed at something like 50 on both consoles
    inventory management is meant to be a pain in the face, made for console inventories are always shíte,
    and some other buggy stuff that can more likely be patched

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ondafly

Sean Murray tweeted recently that he was adding 21:9 support to the PC version - hopefully that means FOV is much higher than 50.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm quite looking forward to it. Hoping it has more depth than the likes of Elite, but it looks great. The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic as well.
    It's outrageously priced from the kind of game it's being advertised as so definitely not for a while and possibly not ever. It's going to be available on GOG so that's nice to see I suppose.

Why do you think it's outrageously priced? It's priced the same as pretty much any full release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Kiith wrote: »
    Why do you think it's outrageously priced? It's priced the same as pretty much any full release.

Presumably because it doesn't have an EA or Ubisoft badge on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The price argument has been had before in the other thread. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that pricing is arbitrary, you can choose to pay for it or not. How do we gauge how much a game should cost, how many hours we get out of it? Then Minecraft should have cost a fortune. How much it cost to make? Doesn't matter to me, they either have a product worth my time and money or they don't - whether they spent a dollar or a billion to get there.

This is a game that has taken 4+ years to make and is trying something that no one has ever tried before. They're taking the exact sort of risks I wish more devs would: no quests, no waypoints, no map, no fetching. It would have been easy to pull a Farcry 3 on it and have an alien tell you to go fetch twenty tons of Uranium and bring it back for [insert reward], and then do the same thing ten thousand times, and thereby generate hundreds of hours worth of 'content', but instead they committed entirely to the procedural gambit. I'm going to reward them with my money for trying something new.

That said I am still not preordering. I've been burned too many times before and with Steam I can go from reaching for my wallet to playing the game in half an hour, so I may as well wait for the first batch of reviews to make sure something hasn't gone horribly wrong.

Zillah wrote: »
    The price argument has been had before in the other thread. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that pricing is arbitrary, you can choose to pay for it or not. How do we gauge how much a game should cost, how many hours we get out of it? Then Minecraft should have cost a fortune. How much it cost to make? Doesn't matter to me, they either have a product worth my time and money or they don't - whether they spent a dollar or a billion to get there.

This is wrong on so many levels. The pricing is not arbitrary, its relative and comparative. Relative to many things in its production cost and amount of content. Comparative to every other game that has similar mechanics or draw points. Price is a huge deal to consumers and they absolutely will match up the price with what they're going to get.
    This is a game that has taken 4+ years to make

Now that is arbitrary.
    and is trying something that no one has ever tried before

There is not a single thing about NMS that is unique. Dogfighting, exploration, procedural generation, asynchronous, indirect multiplayer, resource gathering. All done before. The only thing you could say is that is unique is combinations of different things that is what makes it unique... which you can say for almost any game.
    They're taking the exact sort of risks I wish more devs would: no quests, no waypoints, no map, no fetching

Plenty of games like that. Not that any one of those things is bad, only badly implemented in modern games. There are a few games with maps and quests that are brilliantly done. Pressing DELETE on such things doesn't make a game good. In fact I'd be happier to see any of those things (perhaps besides fetching) come back and be done right. Like maps in Thief/Far cry 2/DOOM(1993)/Legend of Grimrock or waypoints in Dead Space, or quests in Witcher series.
    and thereby generate hundreds of hours worth of 'content', but instead they committed entirely to the procedural gambit. I'm going to reward them with my money for trying something new.

Again, not new. Try Terraria. 10 quid (which matters), no waypoints, tons of actual 'content'. Content isn't defined by how much hours it takes to experience it but it is quantifiable, either by the complexity of the content or by the amount of it. Higher complexity or more amount is more hours played. Hours played is a symptom of a lot or high quality content, not the content or goal in and of its self.

The ability of a game to offer mechanics, levels, enemies crafting, story or whatever else that encourages or even requires lots of hours played is high quality content. Just because people play lots of hours doesn't mean the game has a lot of content though, either. Minecraft is popular with the autism crowd and only survives on its users making their own fun. Then there's free to play games have the addictive design behind them.

Where as something like playing many hours of Devil May Cry or Vanquish to perfect one's ability to perform impressive, high-rating combos with no damage is simply just a solid combat system that rewards many hours of skill refining. Content. Backed by a variety of enemies and other things of course.

I can see where you're coming from. You'd value 1 hour of amazing gameplay over 100 hours of meh-tier grind or autism blocks. I would agree. But I wouldn't €60 agree. If a game can't deliver equal or better enjoyment for the same amount of time over another piece of entertainment for the same or better price then why would I bother. I have 100s of games to play right now. I'm not prepared to spend 60 on what looks to be an entirely overhyped but probably still decent game when I get many other very awesome games that appeal to me more for a fraction of the price.

I've been burned too many times before and with Steam I can go from reaching for my wallet to playing the game in half an hour, so I may as well wait for the first batch of reviews to make sure something hasn't gone horribly wrong

Fair enough but I don't know why anyone would care about what critics have to say these days. DOOM footage, never forget.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy I just don't see this game as worth much so far. I predict it'll come and go as fast as other AAA games we've seen so far. Where the core audience who continous to play even a season after its release aren't even the kind of people who sing the most praise for it.

However, I am interested in its modding potential (if any). For example if we can fight that snake I saw a gif of then I'm up for a planet that can spawn almost entirely made of snakes and I just go to town shotting and fecking around.

Otherwise if I want dogfighting and colourful exploration I know of some other games that are probably going to give me more of that, better and cheaper than NMS.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Hang on, what? How on earth is it outrageously priced? It's a AAA game, it's AAA priced. It's not Hello Games' fault that they can do with a team of 20-odd what other companies need 200+ people to do.
    Minecraft is popular with the autism crowd and only survives on its users making their own fun.

Wow...

I really thought you were a better human than that Robert, that's a disappointingly narrow minded and outright insulting thing to say.

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy...

I'm not sure there's much to be bothered replying to in your post, but what is worth discussing is buried in so much weird belligerence I don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. Not the kind of conversation I am in the mood for, sorry.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Hang on, what? How on earth is it outrageously priced? It's a AAA game, it's AAA priced. It's not Hello Games' fault that they can do with a team of 20-odd what other companies need 200+ people to do.

I'm not really concerned with what tier of game it is. It's 60 quid for what I'd feel I'd get 10 or so hours out of before it begins to get dull. Just my judgement on what I'd be willing to pay, and entirely speculative based on games with similar gameplay.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Wow...

I really thought you were a better human than that Robert, that's a disappointingly narrow minded and outright insulting thing to say.

How so? It's absolutely no secret that these (minecraft) kinds of games draw that demographic in or at least make up the majority of people who still frequently play it since its release.

Also here's the latest patch notes

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/news/ https://archive.is/ju32U
    Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯\_(シ)_/¯

That's a warning sign to come from a group of people that's making a supposed open sandbox style game.

However the rest of the updates sound like they just finished most of the game in a very short amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

That's a warning sign to come from a group of people that's making a supposed open sandbox style game.

So removing unintended exploits from a product is bad now?

Riiiight.

I wouldnt mind exploits being removed but there is something off about that patch note too imo.

The way its phrased it almost sounds like they would remove it as your not playing the game the way HG want you too. If its sandbox its sandbox,let me decide what i will and wont do.

Again i just think the wording is a little off there

No, their attitude about it. They called and exploit a cheat, which are two different things but they see no difference. Then said people are ruining the game for themselves despite this apparently being sandbox. Of course they'll patch it but their quib about it shows the wrong kind of attitude. Like they're saving the player from themselves for daring to test the boundaries of the game. Feel free to explore but not over there in that way. Wouldn't have been a huge issue if they released on GOG straight away because that has 100% optional updates where as steam and PS4 won't let you play the game until you update unless you take the system off the grid of course.

Once again: wow. Very disappointed Robert.

The exploit - sounds like the sort of thing that has such a massive impact on part of what Hello thinks is the "core" gameplay experience that they felt it had to be addressed. That's a perfectly acceptable thing to be patching out, an exploit for infinite fuel in an exploration and resource management game *is* game-breaking. It's like you're clutching at straws trying to remain "angry" at this game because it's not whatever you think it's supposed to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Would you prefer they left the exploit in so you could blaze to the center of the universe really quickly and justify your anger at the price of the game ?

1. That implies I buy it
    2. I don't use exploits on first playthrough
    3. Can't criticize a game's mechanics, length, quality etc because of an exploit

Gamers can be so toxic over nothing. Get some fresh air, Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Busy playing Empyrion - Galactic Survival ,

Probably hold off on No Man's Sky until I'm finished with that.

Gamers can be so toxic over nothing. Get some fresh air, Jesus.

http://gawker.com/careers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Sean Murray did an AMA there yesterday. A few things related only to PC.

On the universes:
    PS4 and PC players are using two different servers. We are running a control experiment to see who names things the most juvenile things... Let the games begin!

On the subject of the time of the release date and if it would be a midnight release:
    The reality is that we're still here working on it right now. There's no conspiracy, we're just racing to get all the extra options and stuff we want. PS4 comes out tomorrow and we'll just try to pretend it's a normal work day! Best guess right now is 6pm GMT on Friday, but we'll keep you up to date as we get closer. I'll tell you a funny story about PC. I was here late yesterday, and I had to take a break and do an interview with Playboy (!) - and the guy was like "what are you working on when you go back downstairs?" and I was like "compatibility for ATI opengl drivers", and he said "ummm.... could you make something up. That sounds pretty nerdy". I always knew I wasn't Playboy article material :-)

On the subject of changing the FOV:
    "Innes and Charlie are here working on it rig"ht now, but every time someone asks we take away one degree of field of view"

All in all, the PC side of things seems to have been left to the last minute ... or after the last minute. I wouldn't really be confident of a Friday release reading the above. Or of it being a massively high quality PC port. I just hope the game gets on-going support for PC specifics.

Then again I'm not a game Dev, what do I know about how this stuff works? Maybe I'm just being a pessimistic f*ck, given I've been looking forward to this a lot and perhaps feel a little let down.

The only PC issue I am very pessimistic about is the inventory GUI. I will wager money it is going to be an ugly pile of poo that causes mouse users endless aggravation and literally thousands of unnecessary clicks.

I hope the internet does that thing where someone comes out with a GUI mod in the first 12 hours despite that seeming impossible.

Having tinkered with the PS4 GUI yesterday, I can't imagine them re-doing it for mouse. On the console, it uses the thumbstick to move a cursor and a long click with the X button (A button to those of us on an Xbox/PC compatible pad) to select. I'd imagine it'll be serviceable and given the limited storage space, the interface being a little off will be the least of your concerns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

After a few mates going on and on about it on their PS4 I went off and pre-purchased this today.
    NO MP to me means Ill happily play on my PC with bigger screen and better res. Looking forward too it now.

• Advertisement

Ill be picking it up over the weekend provided early reports say its in reasonable shape,id love to see a TotalBiscuit port report of the game before hand!

Keysellers have it for around €50 but GOG have it for €60 with €5.50 credit back for future use with them,if that remains the case after launch im gonna grab it there. Not sure if thats a pre order bonus though.

Advertisement