Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worm Doses 1980s and 1990s

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

jester77 wrote: »
    Feck, some bad memories that were long buried in the should-not-be-opened-memory-bank just resurfaced. I remember that nasty stuff, little brown bottle of red liquid that would turn the feckers red and then they would glow in your dump once passed through. The horrors of it :eek:

Thats the bottle of stuff I remember :) rotten.com

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

Had worms back in the 70s and was dosed religiously by my Mom and Dad with tablets and powder you name it. All of my children had had them at one stage or another. My Daughter has them for the second time this year at the moment I only dose if they have them or if I hear that one of their friends have them.They say the sugar rich foods has nothing got to do with it but my mother swears that our Doctor told her when we were children that worms thrive in sugar in the digestive system, even though they don't directly cause worms in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

margio wrote: »
    Had worms back in the 70s and was dosed religiously by my Mom and Dad with tablets and powder you name it. All of my children had had them at one stage or another. My Daughter has them for the second time this year at the moment I only dose if they have them or if I hear that one of their friends have them.They say the sugar rich foods has nothing got to do with it but my mother swears that our Doctor told her when we were children that worms thrive in sugar in the digestive system, even though they don't directly cause worms in the first place.

How do you know when the children have them?

jester77 wrote: »
    How do you know when the children have them?

They will have an itchy bottom,nearly always at night and that may keep them awake and they will be up out of bed complaining.They will not always though be seen crawling in their bowel movements. if a toddler in nappies has them , you probably wont know until you see them in the soiled nappy. however they might seem cranky and out of sorts. If you see the children persistantly scratching their bottom i would give them a dose. I remember when I was a child my mom used to look up our bottoms if she caught us scratching and she would see them wriggling around. i saw them wriggling around my sons bottom when he got them as a toddler.. yuck I know, but with kids you can't avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

The kids I babysat about 10 years ago got worms from their dog and had to take tablets. I think I may have taken some just in case but didn't get them thankfully. The paranoia was unreal though!

• Advertisement

scdublin wrote: »
    The kids I babysat about 10 years ago got worms from their dog and had to take tablets. I think I may have taken some just in case but didn't get them thankfully. The paranoia was unreal though!

The chances are that those kids had thread worms and they did not pick them up from a dog. I see Mothers all the time blaming the poor dog. Whether they are too embarrassed or what?. Children can get worms from dogs and cats poo,alright that can cause blindness, but it is rare enough that you would see adult roundworms or tapeworms in a child's poo. Doctors will tell you that they haven't seen a single case of bigger worms in decades. If I thought my child had worms off a dog, I would have them straight to the Doctor if not the hospital. The very fact you had to take the dose scdublin meant the kids parents probably knew they were thread worms. Were you playing with the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

margio wrote: »

The chances are that those kids had thread worms and they did not pick them up from a dog. I see Mothers all the time blaming the poor dog. Whether they are too embarrassed or what?. Children can get worms from dogs and cats poo,alright that can cause blindness, but it is rare enough that you would see adult roundworms or tapeworms in a child's poo. Doctors will tell you that they haven't seen a single case of bigger worms in decades. If I thought my child had worms off a dog, I would have them straight to the Doctor if not the hospital. The very fact you had to take the dose scdublin meant the kids parents probably knew they were thread worms. Were you playing with the dog?

It was definitely from the dog - I saw the worms in it's poop. It's very easily transferred if the dog licks it's bum area, the eggs are in it's mouth and then the dog licks you. You touch the eggs and put your hand in your mouth and there you have it, you have worms. I don't think the kids saw the worms in their poo but their bums were itchy so the mam went to the doctor and got the medication.
    I wasn't playing with the dog but it was in the house all the time and would come over to me looking to be played with, rubbing up against me so I was afraid some of the eggs would have been transferred over. The kids kept playing with him too and then were climbing all over me as kids do so I took them as a precaution.

It was definitely from the dog - I saw the worms in it's poop. It's very easily transferred if the dog licks it's bum area, the eggs are in it's mouth and then the dog licks you. You touch the eggs and put your hand in your mouth and there you have it, you have worms. I don't think the kids saw the worms in their poo but their bums were itchy so the mam went to the doctor and got the medication.
    I wasn't playing with the dog but it was in the house all the time and would come over to me looking to be played with, rubbing up against me so I was afraid some of the eggs would have been transferred over. The kids kept playing with him too and then were climbing all over me as kids do so I took them as a precaution.

i know it is possible , but I was told by my doctor that is is rare enough, but yes scdublin certainly possible.When we got our rescue dog he was infested with worms, I was livid with the rescue in question. The poor dog was full of worms. The day we got him my sister brought over her kids and a few days later she tells me all of them now have worms. I was like WTF, the eggs have hardly hatched in a few days. So I asked my Doctor while on a visit to him about another matter and he said it was totally coincidental, and he often gets frantic parents in to the surgery when both the dogs and kids have worms visible. I told my sister, but the b-t-ch still to this day blames my dog for giving her brats worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

I remember being given pears to eat for either to prevent or treat worms, not sure. Pears were a treat though in the 1980s:)

• Advertisement

I take a worming tablet every 4-6 months because of where I live.. You don't need the classic symptoms to be affected by them and more than once, I've been shattered daily and know I need to take one and then I'm fine.

My point is, go take one tomorrow. You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

I take a worming tablet every 4-6 months because of where I live.. You don't need the classic symptoms to be affected by them and more than once, I've been shattered daily and know I need to take one and then I'm fine.

My point is, go take one tomorrow. You never know.

u live in Africa?, i used to be given them that often when I was a sprog, but haven't taken one since. Haven't had them in nearly 25 years either :confused:

Advertisement