Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worm Doses 1980s and 1990s

Options
  • 07-08-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

For those who grew up in the 80s and early 90's yucky worm doses could not be avoided. if you had them you had to take it, and if you didnt have them you still had to take a dose every few months. I remember sometimes having to take a once off strawberry milkshake( not bad tasting and the only kind of milkshake i had as a kid ), I also remember once or twice having to take a horrible bottle over a week or 10 days or so, think the doctor prescribed that one. Anyone remember what they were called?. My young fellow has worms at the moment, and got a thing called vemox. its basically just one spoon of either liquid or tablet form, and a repeat dose in 3 weeks. Kids have it so easy these days. It brought back memories of childhood, but cant remember the name of the stuff we had to take back then .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Awww, I thought this would be about the legendary game that was 'Worms'

Shame on you OP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

There's an urban legend that slim fast gives you worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

i heard that alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I grew up in the eighties and we never took anything for worms nor did I ever hear of any of my mates taking anything for worms. Is this some sort of farmer thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

lamb stew wrote: »
    For those who grew up in the 80s and early 90's yucky worm doses could not be avoided. if you had them you had to take it, and if you didnt have them you still had to take a dose every few months. I remember sometimes having to take a once off strawberry milkshake( not bad tasting and the only kind of milkshake i had as a kid ), I also remember once or twice having to take a horrible bottle over a week or 10 days or so, think the doctor prescribed that one. Anyone remember what they were called?. My young fellow has worms at the moment, and got a thing called vemox. its basically just one spoon of either liquid or tablet form, and a repeat dose in 3 weeks. Kids have it so easy these days. It brought back memories of childhood, but cant remember the name of the stuff we had to take back then .

Did your oul' fella just used to dose you with Panacur SC for the craic?

He was a gas man back in the day. Used to tell stories about it down the pub. We had some laugh at the state of you

Look on the bright side though, no fear of you getting any worms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

waraf wrote: »
    I grew up in the eighties and we never took anything for worms nor did I ever hear of any of my mates taking anything for worms. Is this some sort of farmer thing??

the townies just lived with the worms because they were parasites themselves, they'd have their hand down the front of their track suit pants anyway so it didnt matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

they'd have their hand down the front of their track suit pants anyway so it didnt matter

Thats from crabs not worm, the country girls up for the weekends gave them to us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

An acquaintance of mine doesn't go to the doctor.
    He's a farmer and gets the vet to treat any personal medical issues he may have(seriously).

He told me he takes a cattle worm dose once a year.Really clears him out.

What the actual fcuk?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

when i was in 4th class one of the lads got really sick during the day and when the doctors came down they removed a 4 metre long tape worm from him, and the tapeworm was reeely agressive and it attatcked the doctor and the school-principal and ate the german teacher alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I got worms when I was travelling in Africa. Speaking no French it was fun trying to get medicine from the chemist.

so none of yee or none of yere kids or brother or sisters etc never got worms when they were small, and the townies got the crabs instead, suppose none of yee or yere kids never had nits neither

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was born in the mid 70's and grew up in the country and never took anything for worms. No idea what you are on about OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I've heard of children having worms and the itchy arse that ensues, but I can't say I've ever heard of a dose being given en masse for it.
    Are you mixing up the polio vaccine usually given through a sugar cube?

I grew up both in the big smoke and then the country. We got wormed.

If I remember the liquid used to be a weird slightly fluorescent green but I might be mistaking that with something else.

I grew up in 70's/80s and never got a worm dose.

Did they pump the dose up your ring?

no i did not grow up in Africa, I only made the townie remark because of the farmer remark which i am not one, and who ever told the story about the vet worming the farmer is telling lies

I grew up in 70's/80s and never got a worm dose.

Did they pump the dose up your ring?

ha ha your hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Can remember ads about preventing scour. :o

• Advertisement

no i did not grow up in Africa, I only made the townie remark because of the farmer remark which i am not one, and who ever told the story about the vet worming the farmer is telling lies
    That would be me and I'm not telling lies.

G'wan ya big wormy African ya.

That would be me and I'm not telling lies.

G'wan ya big wormy African ya.

report the vet so, i dare ya

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, I remember taking some weird concoction called Pripsen? It was a purple drink and also some small tablets for thread worms. Might have been what fcuked up my microbiota. Who knows what that crap does. I don't trust anything that we put in our bodies to only kill what it's been taken to kill. Plus, I once heard that the CIA ... damn, someone's at the door.

im not saying every child back in the day was dosed regularly , but I remember being dosed. I probably didnt have them most of the time, but i know i had them once or twice. My wife grew up in the town and she was dosed aswell. just having a few pints at the moment with the mates and they also had worms when they were kids and were routinely dosed. I suppose it was a parenting choice like a clatter, or making their kids go to mass every sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

ah worms. had them 2 or 3 times myself and I will never forget the itch. I would have been wormed every now and again too. I remember mom running around the house after us with the dose threatening us with '' wait until your father gets home from work''. lamb stew you might have been dosed for them so often because maybe your siblings had them and usually all the children would take the vile stuff aswell as the child who had the worms. That's the way it was in our house anyway. One of us would nearly always have them. I do remember the after xmas worm dose because everytime we would eat more sweets than usual mom would arrive out of the chemist with bottles of stuff.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

how does one acquire these lovely guests

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In the late 90s we were inoculated for MMR and Meningitis. I never remember being wormed. I've always associated such a treatment for a dog or a cat, not man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Grew up in the 70/80's and never heard of anyone getting treated for worms.

We did get milk of magnesia every Saturday evening to "keep ya right"

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I had a few worm doses because my filthy manky brother would get worms and mum would have to dose me too. It was some raspberry concoction - easily the vilest thing I have ever taken. I remember bawling my eyes out while she tried to get me to drink it. Even now I have trouble with powder in liquids.

I gave my daughter a worm dose when she got them years ago. When I saw them in her nappy I drove up to my mum nearly crying for help (I've grown up a bit since then ). It was just a tablet though.

Milk of magnesia was also disgusting but they have changed that so it's minty now and not half as bad as it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

I never had worms but my primary school principal would send letters to the parents along with the book list before school started stating worm and nit season was about to kick off. My crazy mother bought into that prevention BS and forced us to drink that raspberry powdered muck. :mad:

Advertisement