Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worm Doses 1980s and 1990s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A friend of mine got some kind of worm when she was in Africa, that destroyed one of her eyes and left it blind ,and she can't stand the sunlight to this day ..it causes her a lot of pain. We have it easy in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was so badly infected that I threw up worms.

It was a nightmare dream really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ruu wrote: »
    Can remember ads about preventing scour. :o

Cheno Unction, quare name but great sthuff.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

lamb stew wrote: »
    im not saying every child back in the day was dosed regularly , but I remember being dosed. I probably didnt have them most of the time, but i know i had them once or twice. My wife grew up in the town and she was dosed aswell. just having a few pints at the moment with the mates and they also had worms when they were kids and were routinely dosed. I suppose it was a parenting choice like a clatter, or making their kids go to mass every sunday

I remember this alright. It was disgusting to drink. Perhaps having the worms would have been better than drinking that pink liquid. Ill ask the mother what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I had worms once when I was younger, but I never told anyone or got treated. They're gone now though so they either went away or theirs currently destroying my insides :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Animals.

That would be me and I'm not telling lies.

G'wan ya big wormy African ya.
    An acquaintance of mine doesn't go to the doctor.
    He's a farmer and gets the vet to treat any personal medical issues he may have(seriously).

He told me he takes a cattle worm dose once a year.Really clears him out.

What the actual fcuk?

Yeah, probably Ivermectin/ Ivomec. I've never taken it but I know people who have. We use Ivomec on horses and I know lads who have used it for afflictions of the venereal kind.

Absolutely nothing harmful about it. I am pretty sure it's a human medicine too. Just adjust the dose like.

Sure people take bute and ketamine at music festivals and on the weekend, those are drugs for horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think your user name explains this. In the eighties the ads on RTE were heavily aimed towards farmers. Many of these ads were about worming livestock.

I've never in my life heard of a human taking anything for worms however and I was born in 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I was never wormed but my friend's family were. She has vivid memories of being lined up with her siblings and having to swallow some disgusting gunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lamb stew

I think your user name explains this. In the eighties the ads on RTE were heavily aimed towards farmers. Many of these ads were about worming livestock.

I've never in my life heard of a human taking anything for worms however and I was born in 1976.

Its got nothing to do with the times.Worms are still doing the rounds today, probably more than ever.Apparently headlice are becoming a major problem, much more so than years ago. The reasons I dont know. None of our family ever got headlice, and when I tell my mates that they dont believe me.
    See back then parents had no access to the internet like today so our parents generation probably carried forward that tradition thinking children were prone to getting worms alot like dogsdo.When they were kids themselves they probably had to deal with more dangerous worms like Rondworms and Tapeworms because of lack of sanitation etc so to be dosed was the done thing. Luckily our generation down only have to deal with threadworms, which cause no harm only for an itchy butt.

My sister in law works in a pharmacy and firstly she said that worm doses are flying out the door, and secondly parents are coming in hysterical finding worms in their childs crap.
    When my son had them last week both me and the wife were as calm as breeze, cuz we both remember having them and being treated for them.
    Guaranteed if yee all go home and ask yere parents did yee or yere bros and sisters ever have them or ever got a dose, then yee may be pleasantly surprised.
    Back then alotof parents thought eating alot of sugary foods caused worms, but in fact they just got them off other kids at school etc.A major precaution you take with these is you have to clen the house top to bottom, sheets towels in the washing machine, our parents wouldnt have had that info back then so we were probably reinfecting ourselves alot. To understand the threadworm lifecycle google it. Im afraid if most of yee have kids, yee will encounter threadworms At some stage. I just hope that they are not too afraid to tell yee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

For those who grew up in the 80s and early 90's yucky worm doses could not be avoided.
    I can get the taste of it as i read your post

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I wonder if worms have to takes doses of medicine to rid the humans from their digestive systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I remember loving the taste of the worm dose, maybe the flavour had improved by the mid '90s. My brothers and sisters had to be treated as well and the house was scrubbed from top to bottom. Sheets and towels were scrubbed as well. I'll never forget that maddening itch!

Yeah I quiet liked the milkshake. There was no going to the local chipper for a milk shake back then. It was the dose in a bottle that I couldn't stand. I had to take a few spoons a day for a a week or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Yeah I quiet liked the milkshake. There was no going to the local chipper for a milk shake back then. It was the dose in a bottle that I couldn't stand. I had to take a few spoons a day for a a week or more.

I'm beginning to think that you may actually be a farmyard animal that has gained internet access?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Worms and nits in the 80s. Had both and got treated for both.

In 2016, both are still around and as common as ever. Only if you have kids will you appreciate this.

Lyclear and Vermox are your friends.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Worms and nits in the 80s. Had both and got treated for both.

In 2016, both are still around and as common as ever. Only if you have kids will you appreciate this.

Lyclear and Vermox are your friends.

Granddeeod, any idea was was the name of your friends in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Granddeeod, any idea was was the name of your friends in the 80s

Louie Lyclear and Vinnie Vermox. Both from Finglas.

Great lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Next you'll be telling us you used to put 10-10-20 on your cornflakes, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I really want to scratch me hole after reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Ruu wrote: »
    Can remember ads about preventing scour. :o

Yes, I'm disappointed. Was expecting a thread about those ads for Phenodrench and Agroxone K.

I don't think I was ever wormed as a child but worms are certainly common enough in children. Surprised so many have never heard of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Yep, got wormed! :pac:

Had to take a spoon of this absolutely hideous liquid every now and again. My mother would have to chase us around the house to administer it. It was beyond belief disgusting stuff.

Took Milk of Magnesia a few times too - also yuck (but that was for a different purpose).

Grew up in the country but not on a farm or anywhere near a farm. Think it was something to do with playing in a sandpit/having pets? I cannot recall actually having worms though, it was a preventative measure I guess. My mother is a nurse and grew up on a farm so maybe that's why. My neighbours got worming doses too.

God it sounds so absurd! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Next you'll be telling us you used to put 10-10-20 on your cornflakes, OP.

tin-tin-twinty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

How in the name of fucck does one get worms in Ireland in 2016? WTF are ye at?

I mean, I grew up in the country, was around farms/animals a lot, but I washed my fuccking hands.

Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

We used to get wormed in spring like the cattle :pac: I don't remember having them, it was just something the parents did annually just in case. Little red tablets, don't remember a drink.

Got cod liver oil too. Loved it :o Still do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Oh yeah the orange flavoured cod liver oil - yum! As was Calpol.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When I was about 7 years of age I had worms. Saw them in my sh*te and freaked out. I was on the family boat on the Shannon on holidays at the time.

My mum got me to drink a solution in orange cordial with the worm powder mixed in. I don't remember what it tasted like.

Worms are very common in children.

And yes, back in the 80s there were a lot of ads on RTE for worming products aimed at farmers. These ads seemed to disappear sometime in the mid 90s. How times have changed.

I mean, I grew up in the country, was around farms/animals a lot, but I washed my fuccking hands.

Am I missing something?

It has nothing got to do with Animals , farm animals or pets. They are spread easily amongst children. Google threadworms. They are human only worms. I would imagine they are like chicken pox. Alot of kids would have had them , but a good few didn't. Did you ever hear of children getting headlice. Its the same concept really. Nothing got to do with farms. Worms don't discriminate against urban and rural people. I had worms when was a kid, and I washed my hands and I didn't live on a farm. Some smart asses here grew up in an incubator ., while other people had a childhood and mixed with other kids and the down side of that is stuff like worms nits, colds . Ha ha if we mentioned the condition kids get called foot and mouth yee would probably have a stroke.

When I started this thread on Saturday Night, I was out having a few pints with the lads, and we were talking about it because my son had them last week. There was 6 of us at the table. 5 of them said they had got worms when they were kids and were also treated a fair bit for them even though they didn't have them most of the time. Then one of the lads said he never had them or was never dosed,but he wasn't oblivious to them like some posters here are. He said his mother used to want to check his no 2s every now and again, and his small niece that lives in the house with him had them a few months ago . We were having a few scoops again Sunday night and he said that he asked his Mother about it, and she told him that he had worms twice when he was very young, and that she used to dose them all twice a year, because there old GP told her to do it, but one time she went to a different chemist and the pharmacist there told her that it was bad to be dosing if they didn't have worms, so then she stopped. My friends mother to him that all out of the 7 children in his family, 6 of them all had worms for sure including him(even though he can't remember). He said his oldest Sister didnt have them, but his mother reckons because she was dosed every 6 months, the stuff probably killed any worms she might have had.

If yee ask yere parents yee might get a surprise. But bottom line is worms have NOTHING got to do with farms.

Am I missing something?

It has nothing got to do with Animals , farm animals or pets. They are spread easily amongst children. Google threadworms. They are human only worms. I would imagine they are like chicken pox. Alot of kids would have had them , but a good few didn't. Did you ever hear of children getting headlice. Its the same concept really. Nothing got to do with farms. Worms don't discriminate against urban and rural people. I had worms when was a kid, and I washed my hands and I didn't live on a farm. Some smart asses here grew up in an incubator ., while other people had a childhood and mixed with other kids and the down side of that is stuff like worms nits, colds . Ha ha if we mentioned the condition kids get called foot and mouth yee would probably have a stroke.

When I started this thread on Saturday Night, I was out having a few pints with the lads, and we were talking about it because my son had them last week. There was 6 of us at the table. 5 of them said they had got worms when they were kids and were also treated a fair bit for them even though they didn't have them most of the time. Then one of the lads said he never had them or was never dosed,but he wasn't oblivious to them like some posters here are. He said his mother used to want to check his no 2s every now and again, and his small niece that lives in the house with him had them a few months ago . We were having a few scoops again Sunday night and he said that he asked his Mother about it, and she told him that he had worms twice when he was very young, and that she used to dose them all twice a year, because there old GP told her to do it, but one time she went to a different chemist and the pharmacist there told her that it was bad to be dosing if they didn't have worms, so then she stopped. My friends mother told him that out of the 7 children in his family, 6 of them all had worms for sure including him(even though he can't remember). He said his oldest Sister didnt have them, but his mother reckons because she was dosed every 6 months , the stuff probably killed any worms she might have had.

If yee ask yere parents yee might get a surprise. But bottom line is worms have NOTHING got to do with farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Feck, some bad memories that were long buried in the should-not-be-opened-memory-bank just resurfaced. I remember that nasty stuff, little brown bottle of red liquid that would turn the feckers red and then they would glow in your dump once passed through. The horrors of it :eek:

Advertisement