Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fun car - €10K and under

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

If you want a fun car, that is very reliable....Honda Integra.
    These cars are just jaw dropping in terms of performance. I have a modded SiR-G version for the past 10 years or so.....and considered selling it before, but then took a drive and saw sense immediately.

The handling and steering response is out of this world. The engine likes to be revved to derive performance.....but hey, that's a petrol for you. Once it revs up to the high rpms.....hang on :) .
    The power to weight ratio and gearing make it an absolute missile. I've driven a few E46's, had a E39 525d and current E60 530d. In terms of straight line speed, the Integra would light the arse off the lot of them. It is not even close.

From personal experience (on more than one occasion), a nicely sorted Honda will give a few problems to an E46 M3 (my next car hopefully). Just to give an idea of performance here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭motorfan

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^

nope, but i'd love to have a hot hatch before i pop my clogs

here found one for ya (vrt will come to about €1500)

:D you are bringing up bad thoughts again!! hahaha
    Lovely one, but I always thought the abby's looked nicer in Red.

gonko wrote: »
    If you want a fun car, that is very reliable....Honda Integra.
    These cars are just jaw dropping in terms of performance. I have a modded SiR-G version for the past 10 years or so.....and considered selling it before, but then took a drive and saw sense immediately.

The handling and steering response is out of this world. The engine likes to be revved to derive performance.....but hey, that's a petrol for you. Once it revs up to the high rpms.....hang on :) .
    The power to weight ratio and gearing make it an absolute missile. I've driven a few E46's, had a E39 525d and current E60 530d. In terms of straight line speed, the Integra would light the arse off the lot of them. It is not even close.

From personal experience (on more than one occasion), a nicely sorted Honda will give a few problems to an E46 M3 (my next car hopefully). Just to give an idea of performance here etc.

The Integra's were pretty high up my list, Dc2 and DC5's, along with the Type-R Civic's. But getting insured on them is hard, you are either refused outright, or are paying a pretty high premium. Its a real shame, insurance rules limit what you can hope to buy sometimes.

Another problem I found when on the hunt for these was its pretty hard get an unmolested one.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

motorfan wrote: »
    The Integra's were pretty high up my list, Dc2 and DC5's, along with the Type-R Civic's. But getting insured on them is hard, you are either refused outright, or are paying a pretty high premium. Its a real shame, insurance rules limit what you can hope to buy sometimes.

Another problem I found when on the hunt for these was its pretty hard get an unmolested one.

On a 10k budget, you have enough to buy a DC2 and factor in a high premium and a quick engine rebuild if its worn and tired. But in general they are grand. Use a little oil if driven hard into VTEC, but its not excessive. Deffo the most fun ya can have behind the wheel imo

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

• Advertisement

Magown3 wrote: »

Nice one :D They are getting a lot more popular again in recent years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here's another one for ya (if you're willing to travel to the UK)

here's another one for ya (if you're willing to travel to the UK)

Ugly as sin though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Suspicious Dave

Brera?

Ugly as sin though :P

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

they go like stink

• Advertisement

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

they go like stink

Quick little cars alright....... still, I'd prefer to look out and see an Abarth 500 parked outside :D

Anyone had any experience with the Honda Accords?

Had a look at one today, 2.0 petrol Vtec. Drove nice enough, very smooth. Not too much pull from the Vtec, I have never driven one before though, so maybe I expected too much, but it seemed to pull less than a 2.0 Tdi :confused:
    Now in fairness, I was in traffic most of the time and only got it clear briefly to around 3000-3500Rpm, maybe thats why there was no real pull.

Anything to look out for with these cars or engines?
    Are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Smart roadster or roadster Brabus.

Open top/wind in the hair
    €200 tax
    Low cost insurance
    44/50mpg
    Good power to weight
    Can be mapped (I forget figures)

Doing your homework is very important with a smart roadster.

If I had 10k I'd buy a mint mk2 MX5 and get it super charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Anyone had any experience with the Honda Accords?

Had a look at one today, 2.0 petrol Vtec. Drove nice enough, very smooth. Not too much pull from the Vtec, I have never driven one before though, so maybe I expected too much, but it seemed to pull less than a 2.0 Tdi :confused:
    Now in fairness, I was in traffic most of the time and only got it clear briefly to around 3000-3500Rpm, maybe thats why there was no real pull.

Anything to look out for with these cars or engines?
    Are they reliable?

VTEC kicks in around 5000 rpm... K20 and K24 are very reliable...

grogi wrote: »
    VTEC kicks in around 5000 rpm... K20 and K24 are very reliable...

Oh that high? That explains it so :D And is it a noticeable kick? Would there be any noises if it was failing or in bad condition?

Which engine came in the 2006-2009 models?
    It has 76000-ish KMs on the clock.
    The steering felt quite heavy in it, is this usual to Accords?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It won't pin ya in the seat in the 2.0 150bhp accord that's for sure but they're a good car all the same. The k24 in the type s accord has a better pull to it 190bhp and more torque so better suited to the accord body. If ya want outright performance the k20a in the dc5 teg and jdm ep3 type r civic is the daddy.

All n/a Hondas need to be driven to the redline ;)

It won't pin ya in the seat in the 2.0 150bhp accord that's for sure but they're a good car all the same. The k24 in the type s accord has a better pull to it 190bhp and more torque so better suited to the accord body. If ya want outright performance the k20a in the dc5 teg and jdm ep3 type r civic is the daddy.

All n/a Hondas need to be driven to the redline ;)

So they actually like to be driven hard? :D

Honda Accord yikes!!

and you say the colt is ugly ?

Honda Accord yikes!!

and you say the colt is ugly ?

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :p:D

Sorry guys, I know this is dragging on, I start to decide and then another car comes along and starts me off again :pac:

New car added to the mix - Mini Cooper S.

I have heard these are pretty pricey to keep on the road though.
    Would they be more expensive to run than the Accord?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sorry guys, I know this is dragging on, I start to decide and then another car comes along and starts me off again :pac:

New car added to the mix - Mini Cooper S.

I have heard these are pretty pricey to keep on the road though.
    Would they be more expensive to run than the Accord?

Even if you spend more at your local mechanic, Mini is significally cheaper to tax. Add two - you'll be more-less the same.

Cooper S drives is a little devil. Acceleration is fierce, grip is tremendous...

grogi wrote: »
    Even if you spend more at your local mechanic, Mini is significally cheaper to tax. Add two - you'll be more-less the same.

Cooper S drives is a little devil. Acceleration is fierce, grip is tremendous...

Its 236 a year cheaper than the Accord, but would the mini be harder to keep running than the Accord?
    Harder on petrol, more likely to need expensive repairs etc? Parts more expensive being BMW?

Yes, they do drive awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Its 236 a year cheaper than the Accord, but would the mini be harder to keep running than the Accord?
    Harder on petrol, more likely to need expensive repairs etc? Parts more expensive being BMW?

Yes, they do drive awesome :D

It'll be 490 a year cheaper to tax than the 190bhp 2.4L k24 accord type s.
    While the 2.0 150bhp accord is a good car it's not that sporty most 2.0 petrol n/a saloon's from the same era will be just as fast.

The 2.4 is a better suit to the car and they are cheap compared to the other performance alternative; a euro k20a accord with the 220bhp performance orientated 2.0L engine.
    Granted the euro r is better but the 2.4 type s is a cheap and good alternative.

Advertisement