Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fun car - €10K and under

Options
  • 03-08-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im looking for a car that has a fun factor, but also wont be a money pit.
    Budget max 10K.
    Would prefer a petrol.
    Less than ten years old preferably for insurance etc, but will look at older ones.

Im leaving the criteria pretty open, I have a few cars in mind already but im just looking to see if I have overlooked any that someone here might throw into the search too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hard to ignore an MX5.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you have limitations on motor tax/engine size/practicality, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

2 seater mx5.

4 seater Bmw 3 series coupe or convertible with any of the 6 cyl engines or Mazda rx8.

Mazda rx8 is apparently fond of the juice though.

Loads of options under 10k there under 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Depending on the rest of your needs/wants but mainly on your own definition of fun but a few options I can think of:

- Alfa GT
    - Fiesta ecoboost 125PS
    - Mini cooper S
    - Golf gti
    - BMW 1 Series with a decent engine
    - 3 series/Merc C-class with a bigger one
    - Already mentioned but Mazda RX-8 is a strong contender
    - you might be able to source a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ
    - Suzuki Swift Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭motorfan

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do you have limitations on motor tax/engine size/practicality, etc?

The motor tax, I would try to keep it to no more than 750, after that I just could not justify it.
    Engine size can be up to 2.0, for insurance.
    Practicality wise, I would like it to have at least 2 seats and a boot that I can transport a few bags of shopping, travel bags etc, nothing major.

• Advertisement

Ok I actually checked the prices on the GT86/BRZ.... not an opition yet I'm afraid ;)

Nuw wrote: »
    Depending on the rest of your needs/wants but mainly on your own definition of fun but a few options I can think of:

- Alfa GT
    - Fiesta ecoboost 125PS
    - Mini cooper S
    - Golf gti
    - BMW 1 Series with a decent engine
    - 3 series/Merc C-class with a bigger one
    - Already mentioned but Mazda RX-8 is a strong contender
    - you might be able to source a Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ
    - Suzuki Swift Sport

Good list, some of those I have had my eye on, as well as the mx5 already mentioned.
    The swift sport was a contender until I found that they are not sold here and I would have to import one, kind of what was going against an Abarth 500 (which I had another thread about).

The C-class I like too, but maintenance wise, im not sure I could afford.
    Ok I actually checked the prices on the GT86/BRZ.... not an opition yet I'm afraid ;)

Yeah I checked too, figured as much :(

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

bmwguy wrote: »

4 seater Bmw 3 series coupe or convertible with any of the 6 cyl engines or Mazda rx8.

Mazda rx8 is apparently fond of the juice though.

As far as the rx-8 goes, always wanted one, but I have heard the rotaries are pretty hard on maintenance and juice.... or are they that bad?

I don't want to spend a fortune to keep the fun on the road either :)
    Hard to ignore an MX5.

Has been top of the list for a while! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

Man if I'd the money I'd buy that Clio, brother has a 172 and they are a hoot to drive.

• Advertisement

Close thread.

A new contender enters!
    Very nice. Shame it seems hard to insure though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

motorfan wrote: »
    A new contender enters!
    Very nice.

Should retain decent value as well as they are rare enough, and that looks a great example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

bazz26 wrote: »
    Honda S2000:

Opel Astra OPC:

Audi TT:

MINI Cooper S:

Thanks Bazz, the Honda S2K is nice and getting very rare now too.

Thanks so far for the options guys, keep em coming if you got any suggestions :)

The mx5 is leading the pack so far I think, it seems to tick all the boxes - fun, looks good, nippy enough and also seems very reliable coming from reviews and owners.
    Love the look of the c-class and the 3 series coupe, but I think they could break the bank on maintenance and if anything went wrong...... or are they fairly alright to upkeep?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The mx5 is leading the pack so far I think, it seems to tick all the boxes - fun, looks good, nippy enough and also seems very reliable coming from reviews and owners.

MX5, as many coupes, has only one downside: it is not for tall people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If you were willing to go over 10 years you could probably get an Evo VII.

Similarly you could get a WRX STIs, a Silvia/200SX/180SX or maybe even an RX7?

Other options would be in budget and closer to the age:

A Focus ST

NWMxYjljNmE2ODVmYzhkOGQzZmUyMTY5OWU0YzgwOWIr7vBsbpkQ4T3gPBodd3cMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181OTg2MzM3Nnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A Renault Megane R26 230 F1

NmZhMjUyMjFkZTcwM2YwNjk0ZTE2NTY5OWMyYzAzYWW9HbOqOQ99NrExt91Qxam1aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181ODI5MjEzOXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Or a Megane 225

MDRkNDk4ZmY2ZWVlNTQwZTMyMzc4MWRkYjYxZWQwNjWbXYQJv2BYPPoZNI5MQb8haHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181MjIyODcwMHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Or a Seat Leon FR

OGE1YTQxMGRkMjAzNGIwMTU1ZDI1OWE5ODNjZGUzZWOoulQN-rU_-NkTL6zsW9OxaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b181NzgwNDUxNnx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

335i all day long

farna_boy wrote: »
    If you were willing to go over 10 years you could probably get an Evo VII.

Similarly you could get a WRX STIs, a Silvia/200SX/180SX or maybe even an RX7?

I guess I would have the same issue with the RX-7 as I would on the RX-8 - Love them, but in practice I don't think I would be able for the maintenance of a rotary :(

I've always had a soft spot for the Silvia's, but unfortunately its hard to find one that has not been modified and abused down back roads for a portion of its life. I would be very keen on one that was well looked after though!

If I was to push out the 10 year limit that I had, I would be looking at cars like Silvia's, Type R's and Integra's. But they are tough to get in unmodified good condition for my budget. And Insurance would be..... pretty disastrous.

On a side note, anyone had any experience with owning an EK Type R Civic or a DC5 (or older models) Integra? Any issues with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I guess I would have the same issue with the RX-7 as I would on the RX-8 - Love them, but in practice I don't think I would be able for the maintenance of a rotary :(

I've always had a soft spot for the Silvia's, but unfortunately its hard to find one that has not been modified and abused down back roads for a portion of its life. I would be very keen on one that was well looked after though!

If I was to push out the 10 year limit that I had, I would be looking at cars like Silvia's, Type R's and Integra's. But they are tough to get in unmodified good condition for my budget. And Insurance would be..... pretty disastrous.

On a side note, anyone had any experience with owning an EK Type R Civic or a DC5 (or older models) Integra? Any issues with them?

Yeah, I'd pretty much be of the same mind as you about everything you have said here. I'd love a Silvia but between the price going up again and the insurance of them due to their reputation, it's always going to be hard to get insurance and that's even if you could find an unmodified or clean one.

In terms of insurance, you might have more luck with either of the Meganes I posted or maybe even the Leon FR. The Focus ST probably is another well known car by insurance companies for all the wrong reasons. Other cars in the same category would be something along the lines of a Mazda MPS but then they are all 2.3l so the tax will go up.

I would imagine that you would probably have the same problem with insurance with the Integras and Civics as you would with the other cars listed above, but I have no first hand experience of them.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd pretty much be of the same mind as you about everything you have said here. I'd love a Silvia but between the price going up again and the insurance of them due to their reputation, it's always going to be hard to get insurance and that's even if you could find an unmodified or clean one.

In terms of insurance, you might have more luck with either of the Meganes I posted or maybe even the Leon FR. The Focus ST probably is another well known car by insurance companies for all the wrong reasons. Other cars in the same category would be something along the lines of a Mazda MPS but then they are all 2.3l so the tax will go up.

I would imagine that you would probably have the same problem with insurance with the Integras and Civics as you would with the other cars listed above, but I have no first hand experience of them.

Yeah its a shame that some great cars have been ruined by those circumstances, and even if you do get a well kept original one, the insurance is going to cream you :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I had a DC2 Integra Type R for about 3.5/4 years. Loved every second of it and regret selling it. I had a black one so it didn't draw as much attention as championship white models did. I think the stigma and reputation of them has died down a bit in the last few years as there is less of them on the road now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wouldn't go near any rotary engine tbh.Too thirsty and too troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wouldn't go near any rotary engine tbh.Too thirsty and too troublesome.

Rotary would make sense if it was taxed on the capacity - 1.3. But the Revenue decided to tax them on double of that: 2.6l - and it makes it much less favourable...

grogi wrote: »
    Rotary would make sense if it was taxed on the capacity - 1.3. But the Revenue decided to tax them on double of that: 2.6l - and it makes it much less favourable...

Tax would only be a minor factor.

They are horrible on fuel/oil, are not too reliable, and require rebuilds far too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Subaru WRX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

The ST is a great car for the money. I have mine just over 1.5 years and love it. Tax is sore but I think its worth it. Love the noise and how it drives. Insurance on them is actually not bad at all. Iv been paying 5-600 for it. Depends on your stats etc I guess tho but not the worst to insure! A diesel would I say be seen as a higher risk these days.

Thanks so far for the options guys, keep em coming if you got any suggestions :)

Love the look of the c-class and the 3 series coupe, but I think they could break the bank on maintenance and if anything went wrong...... or are they fairly alright to upkeep?

If you know a good indy maintenance on the c-class and 3 series should be actually OK (not a whole lot more than any ford diesel), I prefer the c-class myself for its blend of fun/comfort, many here will tell you the 3 series is the one to go for however...

I actually drove a C200 (W204) as a rental in germany and loved every minutes of it and its 180 something hp, perfect autobahn cruiser and surprisingly able to entertain on smaller twisty roads ;), had it with the auto box which is a little gem.
    The only thing would be to find tyres that suit your driving style, which might eat up a bit of your budget...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the input again guys.

Hi Gavman, the ST is a beauty alright, especially in Electric Orange, but the tax is a bit too high for me.
    BDJW wrote: »
    I had a DC2 Integra Type R for about 3.5/4 years. Loved every second of it and regret selling it. I had a black one so it didn't draw as much attention as championship white models did. I think the stigma and reputation of them has died down a bit in the last few years as there is less of them on the road now

How did you get on with your Integra? Is it expensive on parts or need a lot of maintenance?
    The DC2's are nice.
    If you know a good indy maintenance on the c-class and 3 series should be actually OK (not a whole lot more than any ford diesel)

Good point, but would parts for a Merc not be quite expensive even at an Indy?

Advertisement