Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fun car - €10K and under

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Well, it's not cheap per se, but it's not as expensive as some would make out to be. And in fairness a Merc doesn't really break down that often ;) so no, in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't be that expensive.

I use to run a C-class (W202), had the 2.5 Turbo Diesel in it, for 5 years which I then sold to my da who is still running it, it now has more than 400,000 miles on it and it runs like new. The bodywork would need a respray and the interior a bit of attention (roof lining is starting to fall off) if I'm honest, but mechanically, neither he nor I can fault it.

The most expensive parts on it were the tyres and a turbo that went @ 210,000 miles and that's it, rest was regular service/maintenance. These cost around the same as maintaining any other car +/-10%, which is still less than maintaining and insuring any "sport" cars mentioned in this thread.

Don't get me wrong these ford STs are something and you should definitely consider one, but if it turns out you can't justify it, a Merc would make sense imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

motorfan wrote: »
    How did you get on with your Integra? Is it expensive on parts or need a lot of maintenance?
    The DC2's are nice.

Tax was 636 for the year, and insurance was fairly expensive. But otherwise it was cheap enough to run. I had no issues with mine, just standard servicing/maintenance/tyres, which was no more expensive than any other car

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭motorfan

Nuw wrote: »
    Well, it's not cheap per se, but it's not as expensive as some would make out to be. And in fairness a Merc doesn't really break down that often ;) so no, in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't be that expensive.

I use to run a C-class (W202), had the 2.5 Turbo Diesel in it, for 5 years which I then sold to my da who is still running it, it now has more than 400,000 miles on it and it runs like new. The bodywork would need a respray and the interior a bit of attention (roof lining is starting to fall off) if I'm honest, but mechanically, neither he nor I can fault it.

The most expensive parts on it were the tyres and a turbo that went @ 210,000 miles and that's it, rest was regular service/maintenance. These cost around the same as maintaining any other car +/-10%, which is still less than maintaining and insuring any "sport" cars mentioned in this thread.

Don't get me wrong these ford STs are something and you should definitely consider one, but if it turns out you can't justify it, a Merc would make sense imo.

That sounds pretty good actually, and not the first time I have heard of older Mercs going forever, particularly the diesels.

Have you had any experience with the newer C-class models? (W204, around '07-'11)
    I wouldn't really consider a diesel, would the petrol engines be as reliable as the diesels?

BDJW wrote: »
    Tax was 636 for the year, and insurance was fairly expensive. But otherwise it was cheap enough to run. I had no issues with mine, just standard servicing/maintenance/tyres, which was no more expensive than any other car

Yeah, its the insurance that is the main problem with them, some insurers wont even cover them either :(

That sounds pretty good actually, and not the first time I have heard of older Mercs going forever, particularly the diesels.

Have you had any experience with the newer C-class models? (W204, around '07-'11)
    I wouldn't really consider a diesel, would the petrol engines be as reliable as the diesels?

The W204 I drove in germany as a rental seemed really solid, more fun in the corner than the old model, comfier seats, felt well put together. Engine was the supercharged 1.8L petrol (badged C200) and felt really good, less torquey low down (as you'd expect) but eager to climb up the rev range and quite pleasant to drive ;)

This model seems to suffer less than the one in between (W203) which was not up to Merc standards in terms of reliability. Do your homework online but I think you should be fine with one of these.

If you can, go for the C200 with the autobox (5G tronic I think it's called) in Avantgarde trim (it might called differently here, Sport I think), I'm pretty sure you'll like it ;)

• Advertisement

Something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

grogi wrote: »
    Rotary would make sense if it was taxed on the capacity - 1.3. But the Revenue decided to tax them on double of that: 2.6l - and it makes it much less favourable...

Tax on an RX8 is the same as a 1.8 for some bizarre reason. €636.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Tax on an RX8 is the same as a 1.8 for some bizarre reason. €636.

I would swear by my family heirloom that they were tax as 2.6, but some lads managed to get them on 1.3 tax...

Another proof that I should never trust my memory at that age.

The W204 I drove in germany as a rental seemed really solid, more fun in the corner than the old model, comfier seats, felt well put together. Engine was the supercharged 1.8L petrol (badged C200) and felt really good, less torquey low down (as you'd expect) but eager to climb up the rev range and quite pleasant to drive ;)

This model seems to suffer less than the one in between (W203) which was not up to Merc standards in terms of reliability. Do your homework online but I think you should be fine with one of these.

If you can, go for the C200 with the autobox (5G tronic I think it's called) in Avantgarde trim (it might called differently here, Sport I think), I'm pretty sure you'll like it ;)

Thanks again for the info, and funny you should link that Merc as I was looking at that one earlier, very nice one.

The only thing is I would prefer a manual, part of the fun of driving for me is the gear changes :)
    But is the auto gearbox more reliable or something? It seems there is a lot of Avantgarde spec mercs with the autobox, harder to get in manual.

Thanks again for the info, and funny you should link that Merc as I was looking at that one earlier, very nice one.

The only thing is I would prefer a manual, part of the fun of driving for me is the gear changes :)
    But is the auto gearbox more reliable or something? It seems there is a lot of Avantgarde spec mercs with the autobox, harder to get in manual.

No prob ;)

In fairness a Merc is best in auto imo, and the Merc image comes with 'automatic gearbox' to a lot of people. I tried a manual C-class coupe (C180 Kompressor) and I found it awful, it seems even Merc wouldn't want you to have one ;)

Give this auto a go before you really set your mind onto a manual, they're quite impressive. I find that the kickdown you get in them is equal, if not superior, to you changing down a gear manually, it really is something.

In terms of reliability, Merc is known for its autobox, I'm not certain about this exact model, but the one in my old one is very solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would swear by my family heirloom that they were tax as 2.6, but some lads managed to get them on 1.3 tax...

Another proof that I should never trust my memory at that age.

The older RX-7 was taxed as a 2.6 litre afaik. The Irish Government decided that the RX-8 would be taxed as a 1.8 litre. Some owners initially got a main Mazda dealer to declare them as 1.3 litre but then main dealers stopped doing it.

In terms of reliability, Merc is known for its autobox, I'm not certain about this exact model, but the one in my old one is very solid.

That's good to hear that it is reliable enough, I would worry about an issue occurring with an autobox, they seem a lot more expensive to fix or replace than a manual, and being a Merc I would imagine they're fairly pricey regardless.

I have to say I was not really considering a C-Class right now but in the future, as I was looking more along the lines of an mx-5, but you are making me think twice about them :)

Looking for some feedback on the mx-5's too, NC models preferably (years '06- '15)
    Anyone had any experience with them?
    They seem to have a great reputation.

That's good to hear that it is reliable enough, I would worry about an issue occurring with an autobox, they seem a lot more expensive to fix or replace than a manual, and being a Merc I would imagine they're fairly pricey regardless.

I have to say I was not really considering a C-Class right now but in the future, as I was looking more along the lines of an mx-5, but you are making me think twice about them :)

Autoboxes like these are actually not that much more expensive than their manual counterparts, and you're sure they won't break due to human error (like the all too common, not stopping completely before reversing). So in fairness, if you make sure to change the oil in them when you buy it (for peace of mind) you should really be OK.

Also, while I'm here, have you give a read to Grogi's thread? there might be some suggestions you haven't think about ;)

Autoboxes like these are actually not that much more expensive than their manual counterparts, and you're sure they won't break due to human error (like the all too common, not stopping completely before reversing). So in fairness, if you make sure to change the oil in them when you buy it (for peace of mind) you should really be OK.

I dont know why but I've always had some sort of aversion to autoboxes, not just because of the lack of physically changing gears etc, but of issues arising with them and being less efficient on fuel etc - even though they are probably more efficient on fuel.

Also, while I'm here, have you give a read to Grogi's thread? there might be some suggestions you haven't think about ;)

Just had a look there at the other thread. Yeah a few things stand out to me from there.
    Alfa GT.
    Alfa 159 - always LOVED the design of these cars. But reliability always scares me off, maybe they are not that bad though?
    Accord S-Type.
    BMW E46.

Had my eye on a few Type-R civics too, but insurance..... they just really don't like those cars :(

I dont know why but I've always had some sort of aversion to autoboxes, not just because of the lack of physically changing gears etc, but of issues arising with them and being less efficient on fuel etc - even though they are probably more efficient on fuel.
    Nowadays autoboxes are not the same ones you'd find in the 90s ;) even if the technology behind them is actually the same (at least for Merc) but there are now several things that have been refined over time...

Anyway, we could probably discuss it 'til dawn but I'd advise you give a test run and see if you like it ;) then you'll know if that's what you're looking for.
    Just had a look there at the other thread. Yeah a few things stand out to me from there.
    Alfa GT.
    Alfa 159 - always LOVED the design of these cars. But reliability always scares me off, maybe they are not that bad though?
    Accord S-Type.
    BMW E46.

Had my eye on a few Type-R civics too, but insurance..... they just really don't like those cars :(
    This gen of Alfas are actually not the money pit the previous ones were, especially the 159 (from what I could gather on the web, as mentioned I don't have first hand experience with them).
    The GT is simply the best front wheel drive I've ever had driven, definitely worth a look imo.

The E46 is probably the only beamer I'd buy with my own money, might be tricky to find an immaculate model though, especially with a 6-pots.

The Hondas I don't really know, never driven one, but the Accord seems like something I'd actually want to sit in for a good drive and see what all the fuss is about ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

This gen of Alfas are actually not the money pit the previous ones were, especially the 159 (from what I could gather on the web, as mentioned I don't have first hand experience with them).
    The GT is simply the best front wheel drive I've ever had driven, definitely worth a look imo.

The Alfa GT shares a lot parts and design vision (with all the consequences) with 147/156 generation... Alfa Brera is the 159-esque GT...

Nowadays autoboxes are not the same ones you'd find in the 90s ;) even if the technology behind them is actually the same (at least for Merc) but there are now several things that have been refined over time...

Anyway, we could probably discuss it 'til dawn but I'd advise you give a test run and see if you like it ;) then you'll know if that's what you're looking for.

I think I will have to go check one out in the metal and give it a spin, never would have considered an autobox Merc but you've convinced me to have a look :)

The E46 is probably the only beamer I'd buy with my own money, might be tricky to find an immaculate model though, especially with a 6-pots.

The Hondas I don't really know, never driven one, but the Accord seems like something I'd actually want to sit in for a good drive and see what all the fuss is about ;).

With the BMW, again it would be the fear I have with the Merc, it carries that luxury stigma that if something goes wrong, its going to cost a fortune. And the older they get, the likelihood of that gets very high. This is probably not 100% true, as if something major goes in ANY car, its going to be expensive. Mileage is always quite high in cars like the e46 too, that carries the extra risk with it.

The Honda's just seem to carry that reputation of never really giving trouble, but again, I have no experience owning one so that could just all be marketing ;) Plus how it was maintained previously

The Alfa GT shares a lot parts and design vision (with all the consequences) with 147/156 generation... Alfa Brera is the 159-esque GT...

Excuse my ignorance on the Alfa's, so the 159 generation has become more reliable than the 147/156 gen, and the GT would be part of the 'money pit' group here?
    I've a soft spot for the 159's more than the GT anyway, good news if they have improved. :)

I think I will have to go check one out in the metal and give it a spin, never would have considered an autobox Merc but you've convinced me to have a look :)
    Let us know how you like it :)
    With the BMW, again it would be the fear I have with the Merc, it carries that luxury stigma that if something goes wrong, its going to cost a fortune. And the older they get, the likelihood of that gets very high. This is probably not 100% true, as if something major goes in ANY car, its going to be expensive. Mileage is always quite high in cars like the e46 too, that carries the extra risk with it.
    Mercs and/or BMWs are hardly luxurious, but yeah the "premium" badge have this image of carrying a loading with it. In truth though, it won't cost more than anything else mentioned in this thread. Should parts be a tad more expensive, you'd probably recoup it with the savings you've made on insurance over anything that has a 'sport' badge ;)

Also, these cars have been designed to eat up miles, if they're maintained properly, a high mileage one wouldn't scare me off at all. You'll find, in my experience, that the mercs are easier to find in spotless condition than the beamers, it would appear they attract very different type of buyers (at least when new).
    Excuse my ignorance on the Alfa's, so the 159 generation has become more reliable than the 147/156 gen, and the GT would be part of the 'money pit' group here?
    I've a soft spot for the 159's more than the GT anyway, good news if they have improved. :)
    You're all excused ;)
    The ones you really want to avoid are the ones before the 147/156/166/GT (so the 145/155 era), they're positively badly put together.

The 147/156/GT are, if maintained, actually pretty reliable or, at least, not half as bad as people made them out to be. The later the year of manufacture, the better though. I'd buy any of these from an Alfa fan, there might be an owner's club or something next to you with which you could inquire.

The 159/Brera era is again improved upon that and nowadays range (MiTo, Giuletta and Guilia) are, so far, rated quite high on the reliability board.

A big thanks again for your input Nuw, very helpful stuff!
    Thanks to everyone else who contributed too guys.

I know this is miles away from a c-class merc or probably not at all sporty or fun like an mx-5, but a Civic type-S has caught my eye recently.

Was looking at changing over my main car for it altogether, and putting the fun car on hold for a little while, as checking insurance has left me feeling a bit mad and limits my 'fun' options quite a bit, maybe I should wait until I am older or acquired more NCB years .

The type-S seems to be quite cheap on tax and insurance, similar to what I pay now, and has a few nice features and a bigger engine than what I have now (albeit only a 1.4 100BHP vs my 1.2 60BHP ;))
    Maybe a somewhat fun, but muted alternative to a Type-R?

Anyone any experience with them? Or 8th gen civics in general?

If you consider a civic from that era, go for the 1.8, you'll hardly pay more on insurance and petrol and yet you'll have an engine that is somewhat able to put a smile on your face ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

How has nobody suggested an s3 yet? Surprisingly insurable, very practical once you don't have anyone tall in the rear seats, 4wd. I got an 01 and it's been extremely reliable also, the newer models are 2l, 260bhp, and in around 10k for an 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Rotary would make sense if it was taxed on the capacity - 1.3. But the Revenue decided to tax them on double of that: 2.6l - and it makes it much less favourable...

Have they? Every one I've seen has been 1.3 or strangely, 1.7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

here you go OP

(btw - second hand under 10k)

fryup wrote: »
    here you go OP

(btw - second hand under 10k)

Oh I'm aware of those beauties fryup! :D
    Was very close to buying one only a few months ago. It was between that and an mx5.
    Not knowing much about them in terms of reliability etc scared me off however, and having no Abarth network and a very small Fiat network in the country for servicing and parts :(
    Still ache for one though.

If you consider a civic from that era, go for the 1.8, you'll hardly pay more on insurance and petrol and yet you'll have an engine that is somewhat able to put a smile on your face ;)

Yeah I was looking at the 1.8, seems like it would be more fun. They seem harder to get in newer models though? The 1.8's that I have seen are all no younger than 07-08's and all with higher miles, the 1.4's are newer with less mileage.

Yeah I was looking at the 1.8, seems like it would be more fun. They seem harder to get in newer models though? The 1.8's that I have seen are all no younger than 07-08's and all with higher miles, the 1.4's are newer with less mileage.
    Depends what shape you want, the UFO hatchback or the sedan ;), I'd give this one a call.

Depends what shape you want, the UFO hatchback or the sedan ;), I'd give this one a call.

Yeah its the UFO I would prefer ;) second favorite model to the 6th gen civics.
    That's a nice one in your link, good find :cool:

Oh I'm aware of those beauties fryup! :D

Still ache for one though.

go on buy it, you'll regret it in the long run, you'll only wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night saying to yourself..."why didn't i get that 500 abarth"

fryup wrote: »
    go on buy it, you'll regret it in the long run, you'll only wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night saying to yourself..."why didn't i get that 500 abarth"

Hahaha :D I've had a few nights like that alright.

208840_1.jpg

Ever had an Abarth yourself?

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^

nope, but i'd love to have a hot hatch before i pop my clogs

here found one for ya (vrt will come to about €1500)

Advertisement