Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

watched the first two
    first one was good although I am not a fan of Bryce , but felt second was awesome , ridiculously tense,a good performance from Kurt Russels Kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just watched the first episode - loved it. I was a bit worried that this season would be too "American", but it still works. I'm very tempted to binge the whole six episodes tonight even though I'd promised myself I'd savour the season and at least spread it out over a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Latest season on Black Mirror has just become available on Showbox.
    :cool:

Latest season on Black Mirror has just become available on Showbox.
    :cool:

First episode was a huge drop off on previous quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I liked 'Playtest' - the one where the tourist signs up to test a game. But yea I agree, this season does not live up the previous seasons.

Edit:Just after watching episodes 5 and 6 (Men Against Fire and Hated in the Nation) - these are the best ones this season so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I just watched the new season in 2 sittings, and while a couple episodes stand out for me, none had the same effect on me as earlier episodes, like White Bear and White Christmas (there's something in the ongoing horror of those two that really sticks with me).

Standout episodes for me were 3 and 6, although the satirical first episode is really clever and funny.
    The twist in 3 actually
    made my jaw drop, and the reveal in 6 is long and extremely well crafted. It's slow and soft to begin with,
    and then smacks you when the whole truth becomes evident, which is pretty horrifying.
    (definitely one for the keyboard warriors to think about ;)).

All in all, a good series. The only disappointment for me is that it wasn't the 12 episodes that Netflix commissioned. But at least there are more to look forward to sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Episode 4 San Junipero
    the first half of the episode I wasn't feeling it and frustrated about what the hell what was going but by the end I loved it. A nice change to have a happy ending and I'm a sucker for cheesy 80's pop. I think this could be the most divisive episode of the season as I can see some people rolling their eyes. The ending worked for me cause you were expecting a horrible ending for Yorkie and Kelly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would I follow this if I jumped straight in? I've never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Would I follow this if I jumped straight in? I've never seen it.
    Yeah, each episode of Black Mirror is a standalone story.

The first three episodes were great so far... third one is a standout - fantastic stuff!

Gotta say if we got those three in a standard Channel 4 run of Black Mirror, I'd have been very impressed.

Still 3 to go.. heard real good things about episode 4.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

All I could think while watching the first one was MeowMeowBeanz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Stand out episode for me was Shut up and dance. Watching Men against fire, was reminded of the 5th Wave.

San Junipero, while slightly more conventional, was lifted by 2 truly superb performances and a banging soundtrack of 80's pop!

Brooker has outdone himself.. 4 very different episodes so far, but each one very well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I had to take a break after episode 3 that was damn intense!

Basq wrote: »
    San Junipero, while slightly more conventional, was lifted by 2 truly superb performances and a banging soundtrack of 80's pop!

Brooker has outdone himself.. 4 very different episodes so far, but each one very well written.

Really enjoyed San Junipero
    I want to be uploaded to there when I die:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've watched the first three so far. May have to take a day or two off. As much as I like the show, it's bleakness can wear you down if you watch a few episodes back to back.

Of the three I've seen so far, none have been bad and there's been great moments in each.

However, I did think that the first was probably the weakest; it took a moderately clever idea and stretched way beyond breaking point, for me.

Episode two struck me as perhaps ending a little too neatly, but, once it got going, it had moments of horror and tension that'll haunt me this night after I turn off the lights.

Episode Three was the highlight so far - a pretty straightforward idea, but executed well, and the episode had a sense of downward spiraling momentum that kept me hooked. I thought the central performance from the young actor, playing "our hero" was immense. He played that panicked fear spot-on, and the eventual revelation that comes along makes you assess his acting up to that point in a new light.

Side issue, perhaps, but I am continuously mystified why Online TV has it's own sub-forum - It's all television as far as I'm concerned. Seems like an entirely redundant distinction to make between one content delivery system and another, who essentially trade in the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DivineMsM

Watched 4 so far. Loved Ep 3.
    But I while I find them compelling viewing, also slightly uncomfortable in the pit of my stomach. Which is obviously his intention. Think I need a couple nights off before I watch the last 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pretty much agree with everyone's thoughts on episode 3, Shut Up & Dance - very very good.

I'm glad I decided not to binge this, because you definitely need time to let every episode sink in, especially if it's particularly grim.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch the other 3 over the next few nights.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I thought San Junipero was the best episode of BM they'd ever done. I was almost welling up as the credits rolled.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I thought San Junipero was the best episode of BM they'd ever done. I was almost welling up as the credits rolled.
    Yep, excellent. And Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" was an inspired choice too.. in more ways than one obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

I am really surprised by all the good reviews for Ep 3 - Shut up and dance - as I read a review for the entire series which stated the following:

Shut Up and Dance is a plain disaster a would-be blackmail thriller marred with tensionless journeyman direction, and a curious lack of ambition compared to the scale seen elsewhere.

The same review also thought Ep 1 - Nosedive - was one of the weaker episodes aswell, but I enjoyed that story a lot, so I guess the reviewer and I have different tastes.

Playtest (Ep 2) was fantastic and one I will watch again to spot every little nuance I missed before in the first viewing.

I will be watching Shut up and dance later tonight.

^ Haven't watched the final 2 yet, but episodes 3 ("Shut Up And Dance") and 4 ("San Junipero") were my favourites to far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The great thing about black mirror is that an episode you might find great, another person might find underwhelming. Not like a traditional tv show where generally everyone likes the finale best. There should be at least one episode that suits everyone.

Some of the criticism for episode 3 I've seen is that it's message is weak compared to others.

My least favourite was episode 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I thought episode 4 was pretty boring tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

Just finished "shut up and dance" - sweet jebus that was bleak.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Only watched the first episode so far.. but it was very enjoyable!

Anyone else twig James Norton (of Happy Valley fame) playing her brother?

Couldn't place him. Kept thinking it was Matt from Friday night lights.

^ Haven't watched the final 2 yet, but episodes 3 ("Shut Up And Dance") and 4 ("San Junipero") were my favourites to far.

Ditto they were my favourite so far still have last two to watch might save the for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A few thoughts on Episode 4: Pretty impressive stuff really. Although it wasn't always as purely entertaining as some of the previous episodes - particularly the nerve shredding Episode 3 - I was extremely glad to see a change in the established formula of people having their whole world thrashed, thanks to their own mistakes and unfeeling technology run riot.

It was great to see an Episode of the show that wasn't afraid to deal with real human emotions and concepts like loss and longing, without sacrificing it's commitment to heady ideas. And I'm doubly glad because, as well as the ending being a compassionate change from the norm, it didn't feel cheap - it gave proper closure to the story. Proper grown up storytelling yo.

Black Mirror is bloody great in fairness. You just don't know where each hour is going to take you and it's remarkably consistent; even the semi-weaker episodes are still light years ahead of 90% of any other muck I've watched recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I was underwhelmed by the last two episodes, Men Against Fire and Hated In The Nation. I didn't hate them but thought the first four episodes were much better. Especially the finale, as I knew it was 90 minutes and expected something a bit more epic. Overall though, a great season of interesting ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I can't complain about any episode as I'm just happy there is a show like this in existence!

Advertisement