Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Why controversial?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

VW 1 wrote: »
    Anyone know a reason why they'd still be around, given they usually sell out pretty quickly?
    Grand Cru has a tendency to buy more beer than they can sell. They had probably been sitting in their warehouse all this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Price point. Although I think Tesco is the wrong market for those type of beers so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

BaZmO* wrote:
    If you’re going that far you’re better off dropping into Drinkstore. One of the best. Although, I’m not sure if they are letting people back into the shop yet as it’s tiny. They were just serving at the door

Ya I thought that was still the case to be honest. That's why I didn't mention them. Drink Store has an insane amount of variety for such a small shop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heard a rumour a while ago, hotel is doing a refurb and presumably wants it back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

VW 1 wrote: »
    Had a KBS I picked up in Martin's a few weeks ago and it was a 2016 release. Picked up a couple more and they were the same. Anyone know a reason why they'd still be around, given they usually sell out pretty quickly?

I think there was an issue with the date that was printed on them. It gave the impression that it was a best before date rather than “bottled on” date. They had a bunch of them in Molloys at the beginning of the year. Got chatting to one of the staff and he confirmed as much. He said that they got the supplier to relabel them to state “bottled 2016”, and in fairness the bottles do have an extra label over the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BeerNut wrote: »
    The brewery itself looks to be coming back to life under new management as Connemara Brewery, though I don't think they have any beers on the market as yet.

Connemara Brew Co are teasing the release of their first cans shortly, a larger & pale ale. No dates but their social media activity has increased showing canning lines in action.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC0ixsYpfPs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Continuing my celebration weekend with Sierra Nevada Trip in the Woods Chocolate Chipotle Stout. It's a big bottle (750ml) and it packs a punch (10.9%), so it's one to sip over the course of an evening, but my god it's delicious. Small hint of chipotle initially, following by a bigger hit of chocolate and the bourbon casks it was aged in. If I was told to make a beer just for myself I'd probably have come up with something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Recently had a bottle of Transatlantic, a brown ale from the Bridewell Brewery, Clifden. Not the worst brown I've ever had though it's a little light flavoured.

Closer to hand I had a can of Hope's new limited sour, 20N. Lots of tart on this one, it went down rather well and was very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Zaph wrote: »
    Continuing my celebration weekend with Sierra Nevada Trip in the Woods Chocolate Chipotle Stout. It's a big bottle (750ml) and it packs a punch (10.9%), so it's one to sip over the course of an evening, but my god it's delicious. Small hint of chipotle initially, following by a bigger hit of chocolate and the bourbon casks it was aged in. If I was told to make a beer just for myself I'd probably have come up with something like this.

They released a chocolate Chilli stout a few years back as part of a special four pack release, that was lively. Must try to grab their barrel aged Narwhal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a can of Dot Brew & Imbibe Coffee - Barrel Aged Birthday Cake last night. It wasn't bad, but found it a little watery for my tastes. Even thought it's 10.7%.

Finished off with barrel aged Black Boar, which is really nice. It's my go to stout at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Effects wrote: »
    Had a can of Dot Brew & Imbibe Coffee - Barrel Aged Birthday Cake last night. It wasn't bad, but found it a little watery for my tastes. Even thought it's 10.7%.

I found it a bit watery too and felt it had a touch of sherry vinegar to it as well. I got the "cake" idea, but don't think it panned out right for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Ipso wrote: »
    They released a chocolate Chilli stout a few years back as part of a special four pack release, that was lively. Must try to grab their barrel aged Narwhal.

Got a Narwhal from BlackRock Cellar about a month ago. Still in the fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Currently enjoying Crisis Brewing from Dead Centre in Athlone. Lovely wheat beer, with only a hint of citrus and refreshingly crisp. Ideal for those long balmy summer evenings I read about on the internet.

Having a Hope Grunt and I can’t decide if it like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Heading to Dublin and was wondering if anyone knows any decent off licences near the Mater/Rotunda/Mountjoy Square area?

O'Brien's in Glasnevin is only a short walk from the mater.
    Zaph wrote:
    Continuing my celebration weekend with Sierra Nevada Trip in the Woods Chocolate Chipotle Stout.
    I had this two Christmas ago. It was absolutely superb, especially when enjoyed with a rich dessert.
    I have had my heartbroken many times thinking I had seen it on the shelf, only to realise it was the cherry version, or the tequila gose version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a can of Boundary Gift imperial stout last night. Tasted kind of off, so was fairly disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

About to start off White Hag Boxtravaganza with their Hopstravaganza IPA

Just had my last Hill of the Serpent and only just remembered there was originally meant to be 3 in the series. Hopefully they’ve just forgotten and it’s not some barrel aged thing.

• Advertisement

Don't think I'll beat this bargain. £18 for the lot
    6 Hells
    4 10's
    2 8's
    2 12's
    2 BA magic rock yoke

4b1b98c1-aa25-44b3-86dd-d2b05f0153b7.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Never managed to get my hands on a bottle of that. Treated myself to a 2016 KBS last weekend, though. Might have to break out something else special if United get 3rd in the Premier League. :P

Time to raid my stash! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked up 4 cans of Porterhouse beers in the 440ml cans. 4 for €12 in Molloys

They need to have a word with their printer or whoever proofed their labels. On the label blurb they say the beer contains 3 hops, El Dorado, Enigma and Eukanot, but just below that the hop ingredients are listed as Magnum, Citra, Mandarina Bavaria and Simcoe. I didn’t pay attention on the other 2 that I drank but all cans have 2 different best before dates, one on the label and one printed on the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If beer drinkers were like stamp collectors, those empties would be worth a fortune :p

Life ain't always empty.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Picked up 4 cans of Porterhouse beers in the 440ml cans. 4 for €12 in Molloys

They need to have a word with their printer or whoever proofed their labels. On the label blurb they say the beer contains 3 hops, El Dorado, Enigma and Eukanot, but just below that the hop ingredients are listed as Magnum, Citra, Mandarina Bavaria and Simcoe. I didn’t pay attention on the other 2 that I drank but all cans have 2 different best before dates, one on the label and one printed on the base.

I never realised they brewed at all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lervig Coconuts imperial stout. I've tasted some stouts with coconut that should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act for failing to tell people that the coconut content was nothing more than a Bounty bar waved over the mash tun. This ramps the coconut up to 11, you get a massive hit of it up your nose long before you even taste the beer. I know quite a few people who hate coconut, so this won't be for everybody, but if you're like me and love it definitely get your hands on some of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Zaph wrote: »
    Lervig Coconuts imperial stout. I've tasted some stouts with coconut that should be done under the Trade Descriptions Act for failing to tell people that the coconut content was nothing more than a Bounty bar waved over the mash tun. This ramps the coconut up to 11, you get a massive hit of it up your nose long before you even taste the beer. I know quite a few people who hate coconut, so this won't be for everybody, but if you're like me and love it definitely get your hands on some of this stuff.

Had few cans of it recently myself & agree with you wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Was drinking Killarney Brewing Company’s Scarlet Pimpernel IPA on a recent trip to the kingdom. Drank it to the exclusion of all else in the end (at 6%, not a session IPA!) Looking for a reliable stockist in Dublin now, came up short in two places that are usually good for stocking Irish micro breweries. Though given how packed Killarney was, they might just be drinking it all down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Was drinking Killarney Brewing Company’s Scarlet Pimpernel IPA on a recent trip to the kingdom. Drank it to the exclusion of all else in the end (at 6%, not a session IPA!) Looking for a reliable stockist in Dublin now, came up short in two places that are usually good for stocking Irish micro breweries. Though given how packed Killarney was, they might just be drinking it all down there.

Try CarryOut in Tyrellstown they do mail order through Beerclub.ie maybe drop them a message.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Was drinking Killarney Brewing Company’s Scarlet Pimpernel IPA on a recent trip to the kingdom. Drank it to the exclusion of all else in the end (at 6%, not a session IPA!) Looking for a reliable stockist in Dublin now
    It can often be found in SuperValu and Centra.

Advertisement