Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Mikkeller Hallo Ich Bin
    Lovely and tart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://untappd.com/b/kloosterbrouwerij-haagsche-broeder-de-kluizenaar/3813652/photos

Lucky enough to lay my hands on a bottle of this last night, up there with the nicest IPA I’ve tasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://untappd.com/b/kloosterbrouwerij-haagsche-broeder-de-kluizenaar/3813652/photos

Lucky enough to lay my hands on a bottle of this last night, up there with the nicest IPA I’ve tasted.

Doesn't look like a NEIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

old mill session ipa delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Helmet

Had a couple of Brú's new offerings last night, Osiris IPA was my pick of the bunch, really good.
    Having Hope's summer seasonal now, a nice fresh citrusy drop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RasTa wrote: »
    Doesn't look like a NEIPA

No it isn’t anything like a NEIPA, much more a DIPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Is it can conditioned?

Doesn't say so on the can but I'd doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I was down at the Grandparents house near the Hole in the wall Phoenix Park.
    Dropped in to get the Grandad a few cans of Guinness for father's Day and noticed they had Pale ale on tap to take away called The Holer!

Think it's Brewmasters IPA. As it tastes the same and same Brewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

old mill session ipa delicious

Great beers! They do a beautiful beer called 'Labadoo' which is real orangey. And they also do a Chipotle Chili stout which is worth looking out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just having Solas Irish Red Ale...it's nice a little bit of stout vibe off it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had Kinnegar's White Rabbit (Session White IPA) and it was really excellent. I also had their porter a couple of evenings ago and their American IPA. I had the "regular" IPA (Scraggy Bay) a couple of weeks ago. Whilst, in my opinion, White Rabbit stood out (followed by the porter) - their beers are really consistently excellent. Probably preaching to the choir on this, but excellent beers.

I see Bradley's has a number of their beers on offer that I might branch off into trying - their rye IPA comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I had Kinnegar's White Rabbit (Session White IPA) and it was really excellent. I also had their porter a couple of evenings ago and their American IPA. I had the "regular" IPA (Scraggy Bay) a couple of weeks ago. Whilst, in my opinion, White Rabbit stood out (followed by the porter) - their beers are really consistently excellent. Probably preaching to the choir on this, but excellent beers.

I see Bradley's has a number of their beers on offer that I might branch off into trying - their rye IPA comes to mind.

I've settled on, pretty much exclusively, buying Kinnegar cans lately. Good range, decent price and they all consistently deliver a really well balanced, tasty beer.
    I supplement these with the odd bottle of Orval and beer boxes of Lambic.

Do any of ye know what became of the Independent Brewing Company? They were based out of Connemara as far as I can recall.

Their branding was along these lines:
    4113499?width=700&version=4113499

I remember them from a couple of years ago.

EDIT
    A brief Google found the answer for me.

https://www.thejournal.ie/independent-brewing-company-liquidation-2-4123913-Jul2018/

They went into liquidation in 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The brewery itself looks to be coming back to life under new management as Connemara Brewery, though I don't think they have any beers on the market as yet.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The brewery itself looks to be coming back to life under new management as Connemara Brewery, though I don't think they have any beers on the market as yet.

Huh - interesting! I had a look at the Instagram and they have a couple of the old Independent Brewing glasses on hand. https://www.instagram.com/p/B_UlP5_J_zI/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

they have a couple of the old Independent Brewing glasses on hand
    That's the kind of thing you get when you take over a whole brewery on a turnkey basis :) I remember the original Galway Hooker brewery in Roscommon having rolls of labels from "Emerald Brewery" lying around, that being the company which set the place up but never got round to releasing any beer.

I'm glad Independent was kept intact rather than sold off piecemeal, which is what usually happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Had a few new one's on Sunday...
    Started with the Roadworks Alcohol Free IPA. I was impressed to be honest - probably not quite as good as Punk AF or Nanny State, but up there and will be going in the Aldi trolley with Trick of the Light from now on.
    Moved on to a few sessions then - Make Hay (12 Acres), Hop On (Hope) and Milhouse (Ballykilcavan). None really stood out from each other, as they were all bloody brilliant to be honest!
    The other new one was Eight Degree's Full Irish, which was probably my stand out from the evening - Lough Gill "Native", 12 Acres Pale Ale, O'Hara's White Haze the other options - nothing wrong with any of them either, but really enjoyed the Full Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

+1. Cannot fault Kinnegar's line-up, White Rabbit and Big Bunny are my personal favourites. One of the positives I'll take away from lockdown was discovering their beers!

Had a few new one's on Sunday...
    Started with the Roadworks Alcohol Free IPA. I was impressed to be honest - probably not quite as good as Punk AF or Nanny State, but up there and will be going in the Aldi trolley with Trick of the Light from now on.
    Moved on to a few sessions then - Make Hay (12 Acres), Hop On (Hope) and Milhouse (Ballykilcavan). None really stood out from each other, as they were all bloody brilliant to be honest!
    The other new one was Eight Degree's Full Irish, which was probably my stand out from the evening - Lough Gill "Native", 12 Acres Pale Ale, O'Hara's White Haze the other options - nothing wrong with any of them either, but really enjoyed the Full Irish.

All that new canned stuff from 12 Acres that I’ve tried has been very good.

Pretty disappointed with that new yellowbelly NEIPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Porterhouse Brewery has a new line of cans hitting the shops soon apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

Few Budvars tonight. hitting the spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Pretty disappointed with that new yellowbelly NEIPA.

Same as that. It's grand like but nothing to write home about. White hags Atlantean and Thornbridge Jamestown are cheaper and far better beers IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

All that new canned stuff from 12 Acres that I’ve tried has been very good.

Got some in lidl there two weeks ago and they were nice. Do you know if these are still available in lidl as think they were part of short term offering with some smaller independent breweries.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,189 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do any of ye know what became of the Independent Brewing Company? They were based out of Connemara as far as I can recall.

Their branding was along these lines:
    4113499?width=700&version=4113499

I remember them from a couple of years ago.

EDIT
    A brief Google found the answer for me.

https://www.thejournal.ie/independent-brewing-company-liquidation-2-4123913-Jul2018/

They went into liquidation in 2018.

Yeah that was a shame that they went, their stuff was great. My lips used to be smacking in anticipation up that long long drive on the N59. Wish the new owners all the best.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

mjp wrote: »
    Got some in lidl there two weeks ago and they were nice. Do you know if these are still available in lidl as think they were part of short term offering with some smaller independent breweries.

They’re not in mine at the minute anyway. I don’t even see shelf space for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They’re not in mine at the minute anyway. I don’t even see shelf space for them.
    I got the last can of the session IPA in my local Lidl last Saturday, the 12 Acres and Four Provinces stuff come around a couple of times a year, this must be the third or fourth time I've seen them. The session IPA is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I never managed to get them in my local Lidl's. Beercloud have boxes of the two that Lidl had though - the session is that good I'm very tempted!

I never managed to get them in my local Lidl's. Beercloud have boxes of the two that Lidl had though - the session is that good I'm very tempted!

The Hazy one is well worth getting too. I don’t think Lidl ever had that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Porterhouse Brewery has a new line of cans hitting the shops soon apparently.

Wrasslers is back and Porterhouse confirmed it would no longer be seasonal.

Best stout in Ireland for me.

Advertisement