Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Terrorism put you off travelling?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Heckler wrote: »
    .....Just waiting till the terrorists realise how easy it is to board a french bound ferry with a van packed with explosives. Checks are non existant.....

great , you just give them a new Idea/insight now :) - waits for terrorism attack on french bound ferry now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Its like the weather, either its rainin' or not you take your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

No. Not outside of the middle east anyway.

Travelling puts me off terrorism though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

You chose not to leave the country and stay alive .... then they are not winning cause they cant kill you... to get you to change your religion to theirs , or what their motive is ..

Their motive is to cause fear, and disrupt our way of life. They want us to fear them. Yes, they want to kill us too. But I won't genuflect to fear.

DM addict wrote: »
    Their motive is to cause fear, and disrupt our way of life. They want us to fear them. Yes, they want to kill us too. But I won't genuflect to fear.
    And I won't genuflect.

• Advertisement

yes i think anyone who goes around cutting heads off innocent people and holding them for everyone to see, and walking into packed places with body full of explosives and just guns down infidels for no reasons other than because they dont follow their preferred religion and you dont know where or when they will strike next ...er ... yeah I think i would not blame anyone being fearful of that, to be honest bloody difficult for a lot of people to keep a stiff upper lip at the moment and try not to give out signals that they are not worried . - of course they know they have the world worried at the moment -

no, the thing is thats making them think they are winning at the moment is because although some terrorists plots have been foiled not all have been foiled and quite a lot has been carried out successfully by them or their many followers around the world

And I won't genuflect.

I'm confused by what you're saying.

yes i think anyone who goes around cutting heads off innocent people and holding them for everyone to see, and walking into packed places with body full of explosives and just guns down infidels for no reasons other than because they dont follow their preferred religion and you dont know where or when they will strike next ...er ... yeah I think i would not blame anyone being fearful of that, to be honest bloody difficult for a lot of people to keep a stiff upper lip at the moment and try not to give out signals that they are not worried . - of course they know they have the world worried at the moment -

no, the thing is thats making them think they are winning at the moment is because although some terrorists plots have been foiled not all have been foiled and quite a lot has been carried out successfully by them or their many followers around the world

It's not about having a stiff upper lip or pretending it's not happening. I agree that people are fearful with reason. But I won't let that fear dominate my life, or change my travel plans. I'll be cautious - still not planning a jaunt to Syria - and I'll check things like department of foreign affairs guidelines. But I won't refuse to travel overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

No. Will not be put off by recent atrocities.
    Although won't be visiting any north African or middle eastern countries, but that's nothing to do with recent terrorism.
    Seen most of them, don't particularly like
    them.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HiJacques

Not driving, or travelling in, a car is the best death prevention method.

Planes and trains are the safest way to travel if you have to leave the house.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

but a lot of these countries are at probable/highly risk of attack ....and people are still going to visit and holiday there - thats like saying to someone 'there is a hungry lion in that room over there' and people purposely heading towards that room.... to be eaten alive ... a bit foolish that

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

It's all well and good saying there's more chance getting into a car accident on the way to Dublin airport, or getting jumped outside your hometowns chipper than caught up in a terrorist attack abroad, and while I agree with that, it's also possible to avoid those situations. ie by safe competent driving, not hanging around chippers after closing time.

Terrorists have changed things in that you could be on a beach or a promenade or somewhere else 'family friendly' with your young kids and have some lunatic inflict some very serious damage on you and your family. I think if I wasn't a mother I'd be a bit braver, but honestly, while I'd love a sun holiday with my family this year, I just can't bring myself to book it.

Hoping somehow the threat can be eradicated , as I love travel and don't want to live in fear, or pass it on to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

There's no way I'd go to France or Belgium, you'd want your head examined

ISOP wrote: »
    There's no way I'd go to France or Belgium, you'd want your head examined
    Really? I know my brother went to Paris in May with his girlfriend (both very sensible and responsible people) and did all the sights. Said there were thousands of others doing likewise.

And myself and my father (not as sensible or responsible) were thinking of heading to the South of France (fly into Nice) a few weeks ago but decided against it due to financial and work reasons. But after last week's events, flights have come down a bit so the idea became a bit more desirable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I flew from Lusaka to Cairo to London on Sept 6th 1970. Managed to miss a plane being blown up in Cairo and another one that had an attempted hijack landing in London. Meanwhile a couple of other planes were taken to Jordan and eventually blown up. Hasn't put me off flying.

I did find myself on a half empty flight to the US a couple of years ago. Very comfortable, loads of room. I only realised later it was the anniversary of 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'm quite sure there were plenty of people from Paris, Nice, Brussels, Munich etc. that said to themselves ''Nah, I think I'll stay home, much safer''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

I made it safely from Dublin to Termonfeckin yesterday without a hitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

We are off to turkey in September. I doesnt bother me as there was a war in ireland at the time when i was growing up BUT the wife is putting her heels in and doesnt want to.
    Looks like a happy holiday for me on my own

There's a war there, not to mention army coup and governmental purges. Terrorist attacks by the PKK and ISIS are a symptom of general instability.

I wouldn't be afraid of a bomb if travelling to Libya. I'd be afraid for my life, in general, like.

Curious why you wouldn't go to somewhere like Croatia which is warm, friendly, stable, cheap, in the EU, and a shorter flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No, I have three foreign trips planned, one is to Rome which has been named as a target for terrorism.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'm quite sure there were plenty pf people in Paris, Nice, Brussels, Munich etc. that said to themselves ''Nah, I think I'll stay home, much safer''.

there will be some saying who got caught up in it "I wish I stayed at home now"...

• Advertisement

Zxclnic wrote: »
    I made it safely from Dublin to Termonfeckin yesterday without a hitch.

it obviously wasn't your time to go :D

....Curious why you wouldn't go to somewhere like Croatia which is warm, friendly, stable, cheap, in the EU, and a shorter flight.

Croatia looks fab - why isnt it always one of peoples first choice for when asked where they would like to go on holiday?

This post has been deleted.
    Petronas Towers, being the tallest twin towers in the world, would seem like a more obvious choice.

Those, or the Batu Caves would seem like much 'smarter' targets, for want of a better word.

Petronas Towers, being the tallest twin towers in the world, would seem like a more obvious choice.

Those, or the Batu Caves would seem like much 'smarter' targets, for want of a better word.
    The Eiffel Tower or the Champs Elysse would also have been obvious choices.

But true terror exists in making people feel uneasy in everyday, mundane locations like shopping malls and airports and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm more worried about isis's aims to violently impose their caliphate than ''letting them think we're afraid ''. It's not a once in a blue moon occurance now. f*8k bravado. The holiday can wait .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭purplepanda

In terms of potential holiday destinations, i certainly won't be going to Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel or the likes any time soon.

It's not just the fear of terrorism to consider but repressive governments, also there are armed conflict zones existing in all those destinations or very nearby.

That would more than confirm my decision to keep well away.

Got no problem going to France, Germany, Greece or Spain or any western nation, even if more terrorist attacks happen.

I was in France for Euro 2016 & was very impressed with French security all around the country. Especially the sonic boom caused by Armée De l'Air jets over Bordeaux! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Curious why you wouldn't go to somewhere like Croatia which is warm, friendly, stable, cheap, in the EU, and a shorter flight.

A few years ago I went to Croatia for a week with mates before I headed to south america back packing. Zagreb felt scarier than Bolivia or Colombia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm more worried about isis's aims to violently impose their caliphate than ''letting them think we're afraid ''. It's not a once in a blue moon occurance now. f*8k bravado. The holiday can wait .

You'd still have a higher chance of being killed in a car crash or plane crash or by any other number of freak accidents.

Last year I was on holidays in a bar having a few drinks. I left, and went home about 2am. Next morning I'm reading the news and see that this had happened.

I was about 20 metres up the road from it when it happened.

I called home and let my mother know I was ok in case she caught it in the news. She said "Ahh sure, you're Irish, it's not your first car bomb".

Moral of the story: man the fcuk up. There's feck all danger and my mother has bigger balls than you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Grayson wrote: »
    You'd still have a higher chance of being killed in a car crash or plane crash or by any other number of freak accidents.

Last year I was on holidays in a bar having a few drinks. I left, and went home about 2am. Next morning I'm reading the news and see that this had happened.

I was about 20 metres up the road from it when it happened.

I called home and let my mother know I was ok in case she caught it in the news. She said "Ahh sure, you're Irish, it's not your first car bomb".

Moral of the story: man the fcuk up. There's feck all danger and my mother has bigger balls than you.

Lovely . I think I prefer to visit places when they haven't recently been terrorised and aren't in a state of emergency unless it was a deliberate 'hot-spot' or danger zone trip. I'm sure your mother's great but your ''balls'' comment is bizarre considering you know nothing beyond my holiday preference during jihadist insurgency , you know nothing of the reason for that choice , and the measurement of someone's ''balls'' is irrelevant to me. Your statistics were disputed on another thread I believe .

Advertisement