Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Terrorism put you off travelling?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Heading off soon to Termonfeckin for the weekend, will not be deterred or derailed - I hope.... as I am getting a train to Drogheda first.
    Brave as a bull I am.
    Isis will not come between me and Termonfeckin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The amount of times I've heard people say, "Ohh I wouldn't go to Australia. There are too many things there that want to kill me."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We went to Disneyland Paris recently. The extra security is both reassuring and disturbing. The fact that we have to screen people going into a theme park full of children is an indication of how things are changing in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Heading off soon to Termonfeckin for the weekend, will not be deterred or derailed - I hope.... as I am getting a train to Drogheda first.
    Brave as a bull I am.
    Isis will not come between me and Termonfeckin.
    God's speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

mohawk wrote: »
    We went to Disneyland Paris recently. The extra security is both reassuring and disturbing. The fact that we have to screen people going into a theme park full of children is an indication of how things are changing in Europe.

In Feb this year, a man was arrested attempting to enter EuroDisney with weapons and a copy of the Koran.

He got 6 months house arrest....due release in August I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Places I've been where there has been terrorist attacks:
    • London
    • New York
    • Paris (last month)
    • Munich (also last month)
    • Dublin
    • Belfast
    • Derry
    • Enniskillen
    • Monaghan
    • Sligo

It's like I'm trying to get caught

You must be on a watch list somewhere.:eek:

It's like you're trying to get caught.;) (posting on here)

McGruber wrote: »
    In Feb this year, a man was arrested attempting to enter EuroDisney with weapons and a copy of the Koran.

Obviously he put his hand up for the 'Mickey Mouse Job'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Nope, you can't live your life in fear. That's not a life at all. That's exactly what the scumbags want, **** them.

No, not only that. I think they want us all to move over to their religion and ideology and not to be infidels. You can be as brave as you like and have all the morals in the world of not being frightened but if you are caught up in an attack or something being an infidel and not following their religion makes you an enemy. That's the way I have interpreted it as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

mohawk wrote:

You imagine seeing that with children's eyes. All excited with getting into Disney land and have to witness all the security first hand now! Very sad situation :-( makes me angry we have come to this in the world

• Advertisement

Zxclnic wrote:
    Heading off soon to Termonfeckin for the weekend, will not be deterred or derailed - I hope.... as I am getting a train to Drogheda first. Brave as a bull I am. Isis will not come between me and Termonfeckin.

I wonder at what level ireland is at, I wouldn't even be able to tell you without doing a search on the internet. And is it just a matter of time until there is a major attack or is the risk low of a probable attack or have many/any attacks been foiled yet in ireland?

McGruber wrote:

McGruber wrote:

See that seems to be what is all wrong to me, why just a house arrest? And why allowed to get released and potentially carry out his 'mission' to 100% in the future? When he is released and attempts or succeeds to carry out his mission will it be another "he was known to the authorities but was released" scenario?

See that seems to be what is all wrong to me, why just a house arrest? And why allowed to get released and potentially carry out his 'mission' to 100% in the future? When he is released and attempts or succeeds to carry out his mission will it be another "he was known to the authorities but was released" scenario?

His bag was scanned at the entrance.

He got off on a technicality. He "apparently" had the two handguns and ammunition for "personal protection". The fact that he did not use the weapons meant that technically, he did not do anything wrong. Therefore, was not on a "mission" and just liked flipping pages of the Koran.....with the mussle of a pistol......at Eurodisney.....suuuuuure.

The 28 year old was sentenced to 6 months, house arrest in his mothers house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes it would. I have no interest in going to places that are on the receiving end of terrorist attacks - why would you want to. As for posters mentioning Sligo I lived there for a while and was never attacked - just saw a fight in a disco once there.

I wonder at what level ireland is at, I wouldn't even be able to tell you without doing a search on the internet. And is it just a matter of time until there is a major attack or is the risk low of a probable attack or have many/any attacks been foiled yet in ireland?

Ireland is assessed as a low threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Indirectly. I avoid the US these days because of the "security" they've implemented using terrorism as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm not worried about international travel but I am about crowded places in France, and travel within France.
    They talk about increased security, but recently I took five TGV journeys in one weekend, tickets weren't checked once.

Patww79 wrote: »

The country as a whole is low threat. There are obviously "most likely" locations throughout the country but it depends on the person committing the acts, the nature of the act and the motive.

Well in the meantime I would suggest that we just get on with it, otherwise:
    “Nothing happens. Nobody comes, nobody goes. It's awful.”
    ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

timthumbni wrote: »
    tbh It would put me off travelling to turkey, Tunisia, Morocco etc but I know that's silly.

Especially as France, Germany etc seems to be the same. I grew up in NI during the IRA bombing campaign and tourists were afraid to come here (and still are sometimes)

Bombs and terrorism aren't romantic. Europe will have to get used to it for a while. In NI we had it for 30 years.

I don't think there's anything silly about giving Middle Eastern and North African destinations a wide birth at the moment, or any place with a travel advisory that suggests you probably should be very cautious going there. I wouldn't be put off going to France or Belgium however.
    That said, my regular trip to Oktoberfest in Munich is off this year. The wives of a couple of the usual suspects asked that they not go because such a large open air gathering in what is an unsecured open air space is something of tempting target for terrorism. Personally I'd still have gone, but them's the breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I haven't been out of the country since 2008 and don't intend going anytime soon.

Don't know if it is the terrorism that is doing or planes dropping out of sky on what seems like a fairly regular basis but seeing as I don't really like going on holidays in the first place and with the greater potential for terrorist attacks in Euope these days I don't think I'll bother for a good few years.

You imagine seeing that with children's eyes. All excited with getting into Disney land and have to witness all the security first hand now! Very sad situation :-( makes me angry we have come to this in the world

Why do you think that would make kids sad?
    Any kid I know loves seeing police, army & armed police anywhere, that's exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

timthumbni wrote: »
    tbh It would put me off travelling to turkey, Tunisia, Morocco etc but I know that's silly.

Especially as France, Germany etc seems to be the same. I grew up in NI during the IRA bombing campaign and tourists were afraid to come here (and still are sometimes)

Bombs and terrorism aren't romantic. Europe will have to get used to it for a while. In NI we had it for 30 years.

Europe's had decades of it too. There were groups like bader meinhoff throughout the 60's and 70's.

Personally I wouldn't be put off most places. I'd still go to pretty much anywhere in europe. I'd avoid Tunisia but would still go to morocco.

Having said that, it's not like I'm completely rational. I have a fear of flying. Last time I left the country I paid an extra hundred euro's just so I wouldn't be flying Malaysian airlines. :)

Wouldn't put me off at all. Got dirt-cheap flights to Brussels shortly after the airport attack.

Not only do the airfares plummet, there's probably no safer time to be in Paris or Belgium than right after an attack, when the police are super-alert and monitoring Islamist cells with renewed vigilance.

Grayson wrote: »
    Having said that, it's not like I'm completely rational. I have a fear of flying. Last time I left the country I paid an extra hundred euro's just so I wouldn't be flying Malaysian airlines. :)

I flew Malaysian airlines a few weeks after the plane went missing, London to Kuala Lumpur & then on to Cambodia.
    I remember flying over the Ukraine, it was mentioned at the time by the pilot, I said to my flying companions how strange it was to be flying over a country at war. Not long after, the Malaysian airlines plane was shot down.

Moral of the story?
    Fly with me, I'm never getting caught in a flying disaster!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

was it cheap? :)

It was reasonable, it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why do you think that would make kids sad?
    Any kid I know loves seeing police, army & armed police anywhere, that's exciting

maybe with some - it might frighten others, give them nightmares even maybe. I suppose it depends what kind of security personnel is on at the entrance. Obviously if its a friendly security guard and dressed up like goofy :D it aint to bad - if the security guard is like the Gestapo and gets everyone to "spread em buddy!" "keep your hands where I can see them!" - might be a tad frightening for the kids ... (and adults!) :D

• Advertisement

DM addict wrote: »
    It doesn't put me off, no.

Terrorists want to cause fear, and panic, and make us act irrationally. You choose not to leave the country out of fear, and they're winning......

You chose not to leave the country and stay alive .... then they are not winning cause they cant kill you... to get you to change your religion to theirs , or what their motive is ..

Advertisement